Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
So I came across IGNs list of best tactics RPGs of all-time:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B81vfujiPkE

It lists "Final Fantasy Tactics" as number 1.

I'm shocked because the game is almost 25 years old at this point (though they give the award to the remaster).

Is it really that good?

I may download it on...*sigh* my iPhone then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Amppelix posted:

Shame. We need more rpgs with air juggle combos

The Eiyuden Chronicle prequel releases tomorrow!!

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

CYBEReris posted:

grandia 3 but miranda is the protagonist

Replacing any Grandia protagonist with their eternally youthful mom would be an improvement.

Justin’s a friggen twerp, I want to see the pirate adventures of Lily.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

punk rebel ecks posted:

I'm shocked because the game is almost 25 years old at this point (though they give the award to the remaster).

Is it really that good?

yes. ign has decreed it so it is unbendable fact. there are no better srpgs than final fantasy tactics and there will never be. the idea of even trying is folly. such is the immutable fact of ign top ten lists

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Fft overrated imo
Troubleshooter is the greatest srpg and ign don't even got it on da list!

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
if you dont wanna play fft on iphone the only real thing it has over psp is no slowdown on magic animations so if you're willing to emulate you can just use one of the many patches for the psp version that fixes that. there's one that even adds in a bit of stuff that always gets cut in the english releases of fft so it's arguably the better version

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

punk rebel ecks posted:

Is it really that good?

Final Fantasy Tactics IS really good. That list is also really poo poo. Like, they go “Oh Banner Saga but really it’s all 3 games. We say it’s the first but really it’s the whole series.” Which, great you’ve already kinda broken the idea of the list.

IMO, Triangle Strategy is better and they’ve slapped it at #9 below Fire Emblem Three Houses, Valkyria Chronicles, and even the aforementioned Banner Saga which honestly I’ve never seen high praise for until just now. If you haven’t played Triangle Strategy, I’d honestly recommend it over FF Tactics and I love FF Tactics.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Banner saga always gets put on top srpg lists from publications which is always the most baffling thing

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
put rondo of swords on the list

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

I don't remember much about Banner Saga beyond the lovely artstyle and seeing people giving the game a drubbing for its weird combat system that encouraged you to tediously grind everything down to 1 HP before wiping it out. Was it not very good?

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

I've played I think two missions' worth of Tristrat (only on nights where Elden Ring would stress me out too much) and I'm not sure whether it's more FFT-like (in that individuals take turns rather than entire teams) or Fire-Emblem-like (in that thus far there are no generics)

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
It was oregon trails but viking srpg and also everything is because of an incel

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

punk rebel ecks posted:

Is it really that good?

FFT is one of those big old tentpoles that have kinda been grandfathered into a high position on lists like these, at least from major publications like IGN. Whether or not it's actually still a good game in 2022 is a bit of a moving target. I liked it a lot in 1998, but the genre has progressed a lot since then and to some extent so has what I look for personally in tactics games.

I have a feeling that if I tried to replay it again now I would still enjoy the setting and story a lot, or its structure at least, but I might not have the same patience for the rest.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

If you play FFT btw my number one piece of advice is don't bother training up a whole big army of generics because by like midway through the game you're gonna be doing every story mission with unique characters anyway and keeping up everybody else's level is a huge slog

ok actually my number ONE piece of advice is if the game prompts you to save at a weird time, do not overwrite your normal save file for it

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

speaking of SRPGs, where's my goddamn bahamut lagoon remake square-enix!!!!

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

having played the entire trilogy, banner saga's strengths were in the art and the CYOA decisions you had to make during each POV's trail

the combat was never that good despite them trying to spin it off into its own multiplayer area thing
https://store.steampowered.com/app/219340/The_Banner_Saga_Factions/
https://bannersaga.com/2021/01/22/factions-will-close-february-9-2021/

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Tae posted:

It was oregon trails but viking srpg and also everything is because of an incel

Is King of Dragon Pass an RPG?

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

loquacius posted:

I'll allow it.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

The Colonel posted:

yes. ign has decreed it so it is unbendable fact. there are no better srpgs than final fantasy tactics and there will never be. the idea of even trying is folly. such is the immutable fact of ign top ten lists

Okay such a response is warranted since I didn’t bother to flesh my post out, but to this day I hear people say it’s amongst if not their very favorite SRPG of all-time.

Like when I recommend people Triangle Strategy they say it interests them since it reminds them of FFT which is amongst their favorites.

The Black Stones posted:

Final Fantasy Tactics IS really good. That list is also really poo poo. Like, they go “Oh Banner Saga but really it’s all 3 games. We say it’s the first but really it’s the whole series.” Which, great you’ve already kinda broken the idea of the list.

IMO, Triangle Strategy is better and they’ve slapped it at #9 below Fire Emblem Three Houses, Valkyria Chronicles, and even the aforementioned Banner Saga which honestly I’ve never seen high praise for until just now. If you haven’t played Triangle Strategy, I’d honestly recommend it over FF Tactics and I love FF Tactics.

Banner Saga has its diehard fans, but they’re rare. At least on other message boards I occasionally saw people heavily propping it up.

Delsaber posted:

FFT is one of those big old tentpoles that have kinda been grandfathered into a high position on lists like these, at least from major publications like IGN. Whether or not it's actually still a good game in 2022 is a bit of a moving target. I liked it a lot in 1998, but the genre has progressed a lot since then and to some extent so has what I look for personally in tactics games.

I have a feeling that if I tried to replay it again now I would still enjoy the setting and story a lot, or its structure at least, but I might not have the same patience for the rest.

I see. Thanks for the response.

punk rebel ecks fucked around with this message at 22:21 on May 9, 2022

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

loquacius posted:

It certainly let me play the role of getting utterly eradicated by those loving ducks the first time I played it.

avoraciopoctules
Oct 22, 2012

What is this kid's DEAL?!

RareAcumen posted:

I'm simple, I like Charme and MOAV. Also the BladeLord's characterization as being a free spirit that takes orders from nobody and does as they like was very fun, since it let you play them however you liked and nothing's really out of character for them. Reminded me of the Saints Row Boss.

Oh poo poo, I also wanted to ask about any other games where you play as some kinda boss or dangerous creature like that. The only ones I can think of are- thanks to this thread- Maglam Lord, Castlevania Lords of Shadow, and Cthulu Saves the World.

Maglam Lord sounds like fun. I hope the steam version is solid!

As for your question, I can think of a few RPGs where the hero can get possessed or corrupted into a monster. There are some cool mythic paths in the Wrath of the Righteous where you end up a demon or lich. There's also games where you are a horrifying shapeshifter like Prey or Prototype.

But playing someone that is a cool boss monster type from the start is thematically kinda different. I think there were a few games like that in my RPG Maker list earlier, here's the one I remember most strongly atm: https://rpgmaker.net/games/7360/

You mentioned Cthulhu Saves the World. That game has a direct sequel, and the dev also made Breath of Death.
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1057540/Cthulhu_Saves_Christmas/
https://store.steampowered.com/app/107300/Breath_of_Death_VII/

The Legacy of Kain games let you play a vampire or... spooky wraith?

Divinity Original Sin II has playable skeletons. Fane makes a pretty good lich hero.

I think some of the Nippon Ichi tactics games have demon protagonists that go beyond just generic shonen children. Maybe Makai Kingdom is worth a look?

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I mainly remember the Banner Saga as one of those games which was in like every Steam sale ever. I kept thinking about getting it and never did

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Quackles posted:

Dust: An Elysian Tail? :v:
that's an action game! there's plenty of those with air juggle combos!

what i meant was that more games with menu-based combat need to include air juggles in their combat systems no matter how improbable that may be to implement

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Amppelix posted:

what i meant was that more games with menu-based combat need to include air juggles in their combat systems no matter how improbable that may be to implement

Xenosaga 2 had them actually and was important sometimes because Air'd enemies couldn't Counter Boost like they could if they were Down'd

But also only Kosmos and Jin were really good at it and you didn't get Jin until disc 2 lol

avoraciopoctules
Oct 22, 2012

What is this kid's DEAL?!

Amppelix posted:

I think Radiant Historia had something like that. When I google to confirm, Avalon Code also comes up, but that one looks like it has real time combat.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

Amppelix posted:

play endless frontier (do not play endless frontier)

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games
Shining Force 1 + 2 both hold up incredibly rare and at least one of them deserves a spot on a top 10 SRPG list

theshim
May 1, 2012

punk rebel ecks posted:

Is it really that good?

hi I'm the person who doesn't like fft, it's me

imo fft is overrated and not actually very fun at all!!!

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

theshim posted:

play endless frontier (do not play endless frontier)

Do play it but find a code to disable Forced Guard

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Final Fantasy Tactics is like a totally fine game but the limitations of the PS1 hold it back a lot and it made some weird and boring choices for the main campaign mechanically.

Also there are a dozen ways to trivially break it over your knee.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

XCOM2 over XCOM EU is insane. Banner Saga on there is just wrong.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010
FFT to this day is still very unique within the genre. Even it's sequels strayed pretty heavily from the gameplay secret sauce that FFT uses.

... to be fair, that secret sauce is that well-built characters are amazing to come up with and use because the power scale is wildly in the player's favor and you can turn just about anyone into a peerless demigod the haphazard enemy formations and AI just CANNOT deal with if you play around with abilities and gear enough... but hey, there's a lotta charm in that if you just wanna play a different kind of SRPG (Simulated Rocket Powered Grenade. It's really a Rocket Arena Character Builder simulator.)

And if you're not creative enough to figure that out the game just starts handing them to you pre-built in the last part of the game, just add JP.

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

ctrl f

tactics ogre

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Zore posted:

Also there are a dozen ways to trivially break it over your knee.

That's the fun part though. I'm sick of all these games obsessed with "balance" that keep nerfing the fun stuff.

theshim
May 1, 2012

Clarste posted:

That's the fun part though. I'm sick of all these games obsessed with "balance" that keep nerfing the fun stuff.
Yeah, games with ways to break them by using obscure specific ridiculous combos or pushing specific mechanics to places they were not meant to go rule.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Once again, troubleshooter does it better

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Feels Villeneuve posted:

I mainly remember the Banner Saga as one of those games which was in like every Steam sale ever. I kept thinking about getting it and never did

It was on gamepass at one point and I think I did maybe two maps before how unpleasant combat was made me quit.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Snooze Cruise posted:

Now if only it wasn't developed as an early access game that just kept tacking content on to the end and have tons and tons of filler crap before you get most of the cool stuff.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

Clarste posted:

Maybe we want to be challenged instead of plowing through everything?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Snooze Cruise posted:

Troubleshooter has a fair deal of issues.
It suffers from either a bad translation or bad writing in general I'm not sure which, feature bloat, it takes forever to get going and somehow after 100 hours of playing the end is 'end of part 1'
Great game otherwise though.

Triangle Strategy is a great game if you want to be emotionally crushed and morally compromised over and over again while the game makes drat sure you don't overpower the content. And also if you feel like playing that kind of game twice.

ChrisBTY fucked around with this message at 01:58 on May 10, 2022