Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
the old ceremony
Aug 1, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
fart

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raised By Birds
May 5, 2013
I can't let "suck my dick you fuckman" show up that often go without a link to the transcript.

freckle
Apr 6, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Thank you. I had forgotten what day it was until this post. :911:

Stato-Masochist
Aug 22, 2010

the air is fresh, there's plenty of parking, plenty of space to walk around

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Remember? The best day of someone like Gorka's life? The day when people like him realized they could leverage people's fear into a career of making things worse? No thanks, and my family lost two friends in the Pentagon.

Seriously - 9/11 should be remembered as the day modern America's mettle was tested and we loving FAILED. We went to war with two countries for no reason other than profit motives, and we even hosed that up, mortgaging our country's future thrice over to make our oligarchs' last thirty years on this planet gilded in gold. Dubya had the highest approval rating of any president in recent memory - people were CLAMORING for bipartisanship and *direction*, and that dumbass told us to ~go shopping~ and to go to DISNEY WORLD, hosted in a state run by his little brother. The rest of the free world looked at us, bruised and bloodied, and hoped that our second 'Pearl Harbor' would inspire us to terrible greatness like it did the last time...and we loving choked.

We have utterly failed to do justice to the legacies of those who died on the planes, in the Pentagon, and the WTC. They didn't die for a better nation - they died for war profiteering, for empty promises, and for making our nation into a corporate police state where two consecutive chief executives were prideful enough to consider themselves worthy of irrevocable "superpresidential" powers because *surely* no one as despicable or undeserving of them like ~Donald Trump~ would ever win the presidency. Their memories will be used as political crutches for the next 100 years, denying them solace or peace even in death.

9/11 is a day of crocodile tears where an ever-shrinking subset of the population puts a new 'Support Our Troops' or 'We Will Never Forget :911:' bumper sticker on their car because the one they had from the year before has bleached in the sun to the point where the only color that's left is blue. It should be remembered for the day when we squandered a fantastically horrific opportunity to show the world that we were *better* than their expectations of us. That we'd gained some semblance of *maturity* in the decade since the apocalyptic game of chicken known as the Cold War.

We failed that test. Bigly. And if there are history books in the next 100 years, the saccharine ~Day of Reckoning and Remembrance~ that this day has become will be looked at as the turning point of where it all went wrong. The day when progress (both moral and scientific) lost out to fear, militarism, and xenophobia. The day when dormant fascists worldwide were given the gift of an eternally cooperative "Other" that not only thrives on the hatred of their enemies, but welcomes death. The day when loving warmongering shitheels like Sebastian Lukács Gorka realized they would never go hungry again so long as they permanently affixed their lips either to the assholes of the rich or the trumpets of war.

Let the ghosts of this day sleep in peace. Stop loving their spirits and calling it reverence.
E: Whoops, forgot to quote the above

"We can't let the terrorists win" - a person who let their entire life be defined by terrorists

This is an on point post. There was plenty of uplifting stories of heroism following 9/11, but the ensuing national mood was one of jingoism and belligerent militarism. God help us if Trump faces a similar scenario.

Stato-Masochist fucked around with this message at 09:52 on Sep 11, 2017

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках
It is way past time that we loving "forgot". Kids who were too young to even know it happened are old enough to enlist and go fight the war it started which is still loving going on.

Liquid Communism fucked around with this message at 10:05 on Sep 11, 2017

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

dear god this 8 bit scholar guy is a loving moron

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Is that ghost Gorka straddling the twin towers with his ethereal crotch

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

cuntman.net posted:

dear god this 8 bit scholar guy is a loving moron

Yeah at least he's probated now, maybe he'll get the gently caress out when that runs its course.

The problem with people like him is, assuming he's not just trolling, is that he seems to truly believe the "both sides" argument and that what's wrong with the left is that we shut our ears and scream "you're a bad person for supporting Trump," which is objectively true for all Trump supporters.

He talks about how this type of thinking highlights the political divide in our present time. That this is why we going to poo poo, because the left straight up won't listen to the right.

But he doesn't understand that the right, the alt-right, and the entire republican platform, is objectively "bad." There may be some good points they support, but in general their ideologies are the poison. gently caress Republicans. The world would be better if that entire party dissolved and just let the Democrats splinter into different "leftist" factions. This is an objective fact.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Zivilyn Bane posted:

I can't let "suck my dick you fuckman" show up that often go without a link to the transcript.

And you can't let that transcript be linked without its sublime reenactment:

https://youtu.be/WTWdP5DMdsM

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Boris Galerkin posted:

gently caress Republicans. The world would be better if that entire party dissolved and just let the Democrats splinter into different "leftist" factions. This is an objective fact.

My biggest hope is that Trump deteriorates the confidence of the American people in the executive branch to the point where we go from having an anointed "Superpresident" (courtesy of Dubya and Obama's shared legacies, as neither had the humility to give said powers up) to a more simple parliamentary system. Of course, if I could Monkey Paw it into becoming reality, I wouldn't, since it'd mean we'd have Paul Ryan or Mitch McConnell as our 'Prime Minister.'

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
9/11 proved that America always was and always will hunger for war. It wants violence, even if there is no other war to currently fight, it will invent a reason. War on Terror, War on Drugs, War on Christmas, War on Culture, War on Education, War on Race. Give the Americans a reason to war and they support you, either in loud jingoistic proclamations or by quietly rationalizing that this is simply what must be done.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

BIG HEADLINE posted:

My biggest hope is that Trump deteriorates the confidence of the American people in the executive branch to the point where we go from having an anointed "Superpresident" (courtesy of Dubya and Obama's shared legacies, as neither had the humility to give said powers up) to a more simple parliamentary system. Of course, if I could Monkey Paw it into becoming reality, I wouldn't, since it'd mean we'd have Paul Ryan or Mitch McConnell as our 'Prime Minister.'

I think you may have hit on why there was more going on than Obama and his overweening hubris. To be perfectly honest, decentralizing presidential power might have helped, but only by giving those powers to a Republican party dead set on doing all of the things that Trump is trying to do now, a few years early. What you suggest is a good idea, but not because it would have prevented Trump.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

8-Bit Scholar posted:

So what system of government ought be adopted or how can corruption in our current system be meaningfully addressed in a long-term and lasting manner?

Well, number 1, we don't elect a whiny old millionaire that has no clue what he's doing so long as people notice him
Number 2, we stop racist pieces of poo poo like you from trying to pass their poo poo off as some ultimate solution dressed up to sound meaningful

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

Why does this photo look so weird? It looks like koopa shells are about to slam into the towers and then Mario will go collect stars in the ruins.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Pembroke Fuse posted:

I have no idea how he holds on to both of these ideas at the same time, which leads me to the "empty words" hypothesis someone proposed earlier.

Not really hard. The first one is good, god fearing white folk. The second is disgusting, morally corrupt minorities

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Pander posted:

Why does this photo look so weird? It looks like koopa shells are about to slam into the towers and then Mario will go collect stars in the ruins.

He took the photo with his 2001 era camera, see his fat gut in the window reflection?

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Do you think a country this large, with this disparate a population, could do a parliamentary style system? I feel like with how loving big this country is it wouldn't work.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

https://twitter.com/sassygayrepub/status/907194416674177024

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Mr Interweb posted:

This may have posted, but it absolutely deserves to be posted again:

https://twitter.com/Choco_Optimus/status/906686851079180288

Holeeeee poo poo, this dude is loving AWESOME.

"ok, k, ok, ok, ok, ok, ok"
Ladies and gents, our next white house orator

Avirosb
Nov 21, 2016

Everyone makes pisstakes

Should I feel bad that I can remember all first 150 pokémon but can't name a single 9/11 victim?

TyroneGoldstein
Mar 30, 2005

Boris Galerkin posted:

Yeah at least he's probated now, maybe he'll get the gently caress out when that runs its course.

The problem with people like him is, assuming he's not just trolling, is that he seems to truly believe the "both sides" argument and that what's wrong with the left is that we shut our ears and scream "you're a bad person for supporting Trump," which is objectively true for all Trump supporters.

He talks about how this type of thinking highlights the political divide in our present time. That this is why we going to poo poo, because the left straight up won't listen to the right.

But he doesn't understand that the right, the alt-right, and the entire republican platform, is objectively "bad." There may be some good points they support, but in general their ideologies are the poison. gently caress Republicans. The world would be better if that entire party dissolved and just let the Democrats splinter into different "leftist" factions. This is an objective fact.

I really don't find South Park political dipshits surprising anymore. If there's one thing that show cursed us with, it's them.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Grapplejack posted:

Do you think a country this large, with this disparate a population, could do a parliamentary style system? I feel like with how loving big this country is it wouldn't work.

I think the only potential solution to the unsolvable ultra-partisan poo poo-show we're going to have until the end of time otherwise is by breaking the left and right into so many pieces that they'll have no choice but to caucus among themselves and across ideological lines to get poo poo done - not just have both sides bide their time until they score a ~super-majority~. Hell, the GOP controls every branch right now, and they still can't get poo poo done because it's not a big enough super-majority.

Of course, bringing out the Monkey's Paw again, I wouldn't wish for this right now, either - because this is how you get the Nazi Party taking over Germany with only 37.3% of the popular vote.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Remember, he qualified it "Islamic". All the other attacks, nah, don't matter
gently caress this rear end in a top hat with a red hot fire poker

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

It's not terrorism unless their skin color is darker than a white sheet.

Randbrick
Sep 28, 2002
Gets buried at the beginning of the clip, but failing to signal a turn is only a traffic infraction if you have people behind you to signal for, at least in every state I've practiced in.

Dude got that in there without reaction from deputy dawg, that there was no one behind him.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

I just find it all the more appalling that even after nouveau Barney Fife holsters his service weapon, he still has his loving hand on it amidst all the "okays."

That isn't a penitent man reflecting on a poor decision - it's a lovely cop who's still waiting for a black man to do something emotional/foolish enough to warrant deadly force.

At the very least, he's worrying that this is going to result in a temporary suspension, and at most, he's already wondering what he's going to look like on his Fox News interview.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 13:09 on Sep 11, 2017

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Avirosb posted:

Should I feel bad that I can remember all first 150 pokémon but can't name a single 9/11 victim?

tentacruel was a 9/11 victim when they stopped showing his episode because of 9/11

ZobarStyl
Oct 24, 2005

This isn't a war, it's a moider.

Pander posted:

Because it's a cropped pixelated shot of an old as gently caress pic of WTC with a person faded into the background? Without any WH staff, I imagine Gorka literally typed in 9/11.jpg and worked his way out from there. Time's hard for practitioners of the art of war, that's for sure.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

BIG HEADLINE posted:

I just find it all the more appalling that even after nouveau Barney Fife holsters his service weapon, he still has his loving hand on it amidst all the "okays."

That isn't a penitent man reflecting on a poor decision - it's a lovely cop who's still waiting for a black man to do something emotional/foolish enough to warrant deadly force.

At the very least, he's worrying that this is going to result in a temporary suspension, and at most, he's already wondering what he's going to look like on his Fox News interview.

I'm inclined to believe this but it's also a bit of a leap as well. More likely the guy is scared and his hand position reflects that.

Whether he is scared because of the situation he initiated or because black man, still hosed up and emblematic of our police.

Pembroke Fuse
Dec 29, 2008

Mr Interweb posted:

This may have posted, but it absolutely deserves to be posted again:

https://twitter.com/Choco_Optimus/status/906686851079180288

Holeeeee poo poo, this dude is loving AWESOME.

This is amazing. It's also the reason many Red states are trying to pass laws making it illegal to record police officers. Can't have their unhooded klanners look bad on Youtube.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Pembroke Fuse posted:

This is amazing. It's also the reason many Red states are trying to pass laws making it illegal to record police officers. Can't have their unhooded klanners look bad on Youtube.

What, really?

Holy poo poo

Avirosb
Nov 21, 2016

Everyone makes pisstakes
Blue lives matter (more than yours)

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

I'm really glad that live video streaming is a thing now. It looks like that cop knows it's possible that what he is doing is being seen in the moment, and that cracking the guy's head and smashing the phone would probably not be a very effective way of destroying evidence of the encounter. Just a few years ago, that wouldn't have been the case.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Boon posted:

What, really?

Holy poo poo

If you like that, what till you see this!

https://twitter.com/erikhalvorsen18/status/904357063580626949

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

Boon posted:

What, really?

Holy poo poo

Even the ones in states that haven't been passing laws have just been going for it anyway, typically with Obstruction charges and destruction of property.

It's one of the few situations I've seen where judges will actually strip immunity for cop misbehavior

The Opinion (condensed, emphasis mine) posted:

Throughout this encounter, Hoyland never left the area around his front door, failing to ever come closer than 30-40 feet from the officers. He never told his wife or Illetschko to disobey the officers’ commands. He never ran away or resisted the officers as he himself was arrested. Finally, he never physically intervened, and never attempted to physically intervene, in the arrest of anyone.

Any fear of danger the officers felt due to Hoyland’s presence cannot justify an arrest for obstruction. McMenomy asserts that his mind raced in fear of an ambush when Hoyland emerged from the house. This fear, according to the officers, made Hoyland’s arrest reasonable after he refused to go back inside his home. But the officers are mistaken. However reasonable the command for Hoyland to go back inside may have been, his refusal to do so did not constitute obstruction. As Minnesota law makes abundantly clear, obstruction must be either physical obstruction or verbal conduct, such as fighting words, that has the effect of physically obstructing officers in the performance of their duties. Nowhere in Minnesota law does mere physical presence at a distance constitute obstruction. So arresting Hoyland for obstruction due to his continued presence in his doorway was unreasonable under state law.

Even when we consider his verbal conduct, no reasonable officer could construe his shouting as “physically obstructing or interfering” in the officers’ performance of their duties. See Krawsky, 426 N.W.2d at 877. Admittedly, he was shouting criticisms at the officers. But “[i]n a democracy, public officials have no general privilege to avoid publicity and embarrassment by preventing public scrutiny of their actions.” See Walker v. City of Pine Bluff, 414 F.3d 989, 992 (8th Cir. 2005).

McMenomy’s deposition testimony clearly shows that the arrest decision was not made after Hoyland had ignored the initial order to go back inside. It was only after Hoyland had stood in the doorway shouting criticisms and messages about his wife’s physical disability that the arrest decision was made… The arrest decision was not made when Hoyland first disobeyed an order, but only after he had begun exercising his First Amendment rights.

Rat Poisson
Nov 6, 2010

Is this a picture taken of his framed twin towers picture we saw when Gorka had to clean his White House office out and dump the contents in his 'stang?

Avirosb
Nov 21, 2016

Everyone makes pisstakes

Pander posted:

#REMEMBER

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.

Rat Poisson posted:

Is this a picture taken of his framed twin towers picture we saw when Gorka had to clean his White House office out and dump the contents in his 'stang?

I was thinking "really old and cropped pic taken from an airplane with a circa-99 digital camera" but I just noticed you can see him holding a modern phone in the background so I think you might have hit the nail on the head.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Avirosb posted:

9/11 victims were a lot harder to catch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Avirosb posted:

#REMEMBER

• Locked thread