Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Now that the game has been on the Gong show, I can make public changes right? I actually forgot when I could make some fixes, hah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Hammer Bro. posted:

Speaking of playing blind:

Grumpy Grandpa

I did a video playthrough of your game. But first my initial complaint: your game would start windowed but without focus, and ask if I wanted fullscreen or not. Most of the time by the time I managed to give focus to the window, it had decided that I did want fullscreen, which I did not want. After four or five attempts I finally got it working in windowed mode (with some clever Alt+Tabbing), set up my recording software to target that window, and started playing.

But as it turned out, there was another fullscreen copy running in the background, so that's what my recording software targeted. Which means you get an audio review instead, which is unfortunate.

http://www.gastronok.com/GrumpyGrandpa.mp3

I had a good time on this one, and I think one of the things it did the best (when compared to other games of a similar nature from this jam) was metering progression and drawing me onward. I knew that something different would be added to the mix each time around, and that was a bit of an impetus. Equally importantly, I realized that each level was about the same width, so I knew about how much level to expect between each checkpoint, so when I did get sent back it wasn't too concerning.

I think most of my other comments are well-made in audio. Other than the options screen kerfuffle, you got what you were going for pretty well.

Thank you for the feed back.

You could probably get around the full screen issue you were having by selecting no on that screen, then alt tabbing to your recording software. I think the game is accepting alt as a confirmation. I will check the code later.

Calipark
Feb 1, 2008

That's cool.

GlyphGryph posted:

Now that the game has been on the Gong show, I can make public changes right? I actually forgot when I could make some fixes, hah.

After winners are announced. Next friday.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Hammer Bro. posted:

Speaking of playing blind:

Grumpy Grandpa

OK, I found the issue. It wasn't alt, it was mouse click. I am not sure why it was not starting in focus for you, but when you clicked on the window to give it focus, it was accpting the mouse click input as accept to the yes / no question. I changed it so that only enter, space, or controller buttons trigger the action.

Also, I corrected the jump sound effect when you are already jumping :sweatdrop:

Updated version uploaded here for anyone who hasn't play it yet.

Everdraed
Sep 7, 2003

spankety, spankety, spankety

GlyphGryph posted:

It was on the gong show and was talked about, it wasnt actually played though.

RE:Edit:
I'm not saying I dont understand why they didn't, its not exactly a good looking bite sized crowd pleaser style game, and it wasnt very polished. This is not a criticism of the show or judging, and I was glad to hear it talked about and the judge's (Everdraed I think?) commentary and criticism was good, just personally disappointing to see the non-platformer equivalent of loading things up, jumping into a pit, and then turning it back off to talk about how megaman was a good platformer we should take design cues from.

I'm going to be really honest here: lack of tutorialization and difficulty ramp absolutely kills the ability for someone new being able to play I Need Help and make any sort of progression. This includes Jon during the Gong Show as he plays all of these games blind.

I was giving advice to Jon in the stream, SharpenedSpoon was trying to enter the game and be a good second player (he and I played multiple rounds together previously though we still had intense difficulty figuring out what was being asked of us and how to communicate needed information), and with that we were still unable to move forward.

I'll be going into detail in my review about ways to approach those difficulties and also highlighting the really cool concepts I saw and appreciated, but as is I Need Help is a brickwall that did not provide the tools needed to be climbed during the Gong Show. I think with role-specific tutorialization and ramp, possibly starting with just a monitor and very limited available words and getting progressively more challenging, this concept could be really, really cool and immediately playable. Unfortunately the amount of time needed to even begin understanding I Need Help currently is beyond what can be reasonably expected by the streaming format and us going through every game.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Everdraed posted:

I'm going to be really honest here: lack of tutorialization and difficulty ramp absolutely kills the ability for someone new being able to play I Need Help and make any sort of progression.

This has been a consistent complaint for me across most of the games I've played.

It's also a large failing on my part when I watch anyone play my game.

Turns out, you really do need to find a way to spoon-feed people the information they need without being slow enough to bore them.

Lowen SoDium posted:

OK, I found the issue. It wasn't alt, it was mouse click. I am not sure why it was not starting in focus for you, but when you clicked on the window to give it focus, it was accpting the mouse click input as accept to the yes / no question. I changed it so that only enter, space, or controller buttons trigger the action.

Also, I corrected the jump sound effect when you are already jumping :sweatdrop:

Heh, glad to see you still care about your product. Whichever engine it was made in likes to complain about my graphics drivers, which seemed to do fine, but they did complain via a popup which steals and apparently does not return focus.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Hammer Bro. posted:

Heh, glad to see you still care about your product. Whichever engine it was made in likes to complain about my graphics drivers, which seemed to do fine, but they did complain via a popup which steals and apparently does not return focus.

That's a new one for me. This was built in UE 4.12.5. If you don't mind me asking, what video card and driver version are you at?

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Looking forward to playing some more games/watching the recorded stream as soon as I can use the internet with anything other than my drat phone!

Gunzil posted:

The Grandpa Games
Very small minigame collection. I like the idea of running man, but with grandpas, and how your opponents are slowly eliminated as they fail / die. I ended up getting the chasm jump one 4 times in a row. Only got wheelchair race once and immediately lost, didn't get it again over 10 rounds. Visuals worked pretty well, the grandpa sprites were the best part.

The sprites are definitely the best part. I wish I had made the game display larger than Fusion's default resolution, because the sprites are all squashed and pixelated in the current game.
I had planned on forcing the selection system pick something different than the previous game you played, but never got around to it much like the difficulty levels.
Did you click the ASCEND button that slowly appears next to the REINCARNATE button on the game over screen?
Did anyone for that matter?

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
First up, I appreciate the commentary, but I want to reiterate this wasn't a criticism of the Gong Show. This wasn't supposed to be a conversation, I just felt bad that it didn't work out and wanted to share that.

Still, responses:
Why did the Grandson suck so much ? 'deity deity deity' and '6 6 6 why' and "I want crack!" as the only things said for 2 minutes until Jon left would have sucked no matter how much easier I made things for him. Did you actually get him in the game or did Jon connect to a random person? It was disappointing, because the game never actually got played, but I'm not saying that Jon did anything wrong by not playing it - he never really had the opportunity, and that's frustrating to see. (But considering the stream environment and how much better I could have implemented the Grandson module, it was probably the most likely outcome) All my testing indicated the Grandpa being initially confused and seeing the scenario as impenetrable is perfectly okay and actually quite enjoyable for people so long as they have Grandson effectively takes control of the situation (and I'm well aware of how poorly the Grandson interface was implemented and how hard that it is).

For anyone who hasn't played yet, I do plan on pushing a better Grandson client as soon as the judging completes, so you might want to consider waiting for that.

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Aug 7, 2016

Gunzil
Jan 1, 2010

Hitlersaurus Christ posted:

Did you click the ASCEND button that slowly appears next to the REINCARNATE button on the game over screen?
Did anyone for that matter?

I did not see it, but they found it on the gongshow!

Zarikov
Jun 20, 2004

Metal Gear? Metal Gear? Metal Gear!
Dinosaur Gum
I cannot for the life of me figure out why Retying in Wet Grandpa broke... oh well.

Thanks for your kind words about the art. Maybe I need to be making art assets exclusively and let someone else do the programming next year! :)

Gunzil
Jan 1, 2010
For anyone interested, I've added a post mortem for Yosemite Birding! I nicely formatted it in markdown, so you'll have to go there to read it.

http://www.awfuljams.com/big-awful-2016/games/yosemite-birding-its-a-snap

Buffis
Apr 29, 2006

I paid for this
Fallen Rib

Gunzil posted:

For anyone interested, I've added a post mortem for Yosemite Birding! I nicely formatted it in markdown, so you'll have to go there to read it.

http://www.awfuljams.com/big-awful-2016/games/yosemite-birding-its-a-snap

drat, taking four days off work for gamejamming is pretty hardcore.

I really liked Yosemite Birding, and I feel like you guys made a lot of great decisions in terms of scope and gameplay. It's also super polished and just generally a nice, fun and short experience.
Nice job!

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Lowen SoDium posted:

That's a new one for me. This was built in UE 4.12.5. If you don't mind me asking, what video card and driver version are you at?

NVIDIA GeForce GTS 450, running what claims to be Driver Version 9.18.13.4709 from 2014-12-13. Which I suppose I'm willing to believe, since I finally bothered to install Windows 7 SP1 so I could play one of the other UE games.

Then I hosed my bootloader freeing up some dusty Linux partitions.

Turns out I don't use my home computer all that much.

Calipark
Feb 1, 2008

That's cool.
:siren: If you made a game in UE4 :siren:

Please consider writing a post mortem on the Awful Jams site containing what you liked / didn't like about the engine, where you got hung up, what surprises did you run into, etc.

This will help us generate some "Getting Started" pages for next jam, I'll also pass on some of that feedback to our contact at Epic (for what that's worth).

edit: also final day of gong show is live at https://www.twitch.tv/sagamedev

Calipark fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Aug 7, 2016

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Retirement Manager postmortem & review reaction:

I agree with the points the judges made. The controls aren't good and can be confusing. Playing it for several hours while making it I got used to it but I wasnt really sure how to improve them beyond what I ended up with. The V1 controls were arrow keys up/down to select weapon but that got obnoxious and frustrating the more enemies there were. I wanted the buttons to be easily accessible without moving your hands much. Moving the weapon selector below the bottom lane would probably have been for the best but I dont like having important UI elements close to the edge of the screen. Making the controls more intuitive will be a priority for the next game I do.

The gameplay was designed to be simple with a focus on being playable and reasonably understandable. I also wanted it to be enjoyable in a short play session on a stream so the judges didn't get frustrated and gong it early. To that end I decided to only have the one level, no bosses, no progression. Just gets harder until you cant keep up and die. I think a few restrictions on the number of projectiles active at once would make it more challenging so you cant just spam the fire button over and over. I also dont like having the "how to play" screen at all and having the enemy weakness mechanic be explained through gameplay by unlocking new projectiles and enemies as the game progresses would have been a good way to do that.

This was the first game I've ever made and I started the game jam knowing precisely nothing about game development. Learning how to do it was a ton of fun and this outcome was about the best I could have hoped for. Next time I think I'll try something more complex.

Great Beer fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Aug 8, 2016

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

JonTerp posted:

:siren: If you made a game in UE4 :siren:

Please consider writing a post mortem on the Awful Jams site containing what you liked / didn't like about the engine, where you got hung up, what surprises did you run into, etc.

This will help us generate some "Getting Started" pages for next jam, I'll also pass on some of that feedback to our contact at Epic (for what that's worth).

edit: also final day of gong show is live at https://www.twitch.tv/sagamedev

Copy; added a bit more feedback on the UE4 experience to the UE4 section of my post mortem, and a pair of links under the header "HELPFUL LINKS FOR UE4 FOR JON: These are discussions that I found really REALLY helpful with some really basic but surprisingly difficult stuff in UE4."

ApproachingInfinity
Sep 14, 2008
Speaking of UE4, pretty neat to see all the games made with it this year, seems like a lot more than last year (where it was also already free-to-use).

I'm finally going through and playing all the games (that don't require multiple players or Java installs), and have a bunch of small-to-medium write-ups for each one. Apologies in advance for the walls of text.

:siren: Mini Jam Game Reviews, PART 1 :siren:

Loteria del Adios
Very full-featured game. I played Loteria plenty of times with family when I was a kid, so seeing that referenced in a game is pretty rad. The idea of turning it into a card-battler game is also pretty cool, and executed well! I think it would make a good one-on-one multiplayer game. Good production values as well, great card art, good music, and full voice acting. I have only minor complaints that boil down to polish - the battles need some animations to show what's going on when abilities are used or other things happen, kind of like what Hearthstone does. The battles were also all fairly easy (and in one case I actually should have lost, but the opponent never called 'Loteria'). It was hard to get a handle on what was going on in the story. I feel like I might have bugged it and skipped something too, as one of the nights I went to sleep, there was some cutscene about Mayte being kidnapped, but she was just there at home in the morning? If it was a dream sequence or something, that wasn't too clear. Finally, a quick-play mode would be nice. I was trying to show a friend the card game and it took me forever to find someone to start a battle with :downs:

Old Men Playing to Rule the World
Story told through text messages thing was interesting, but couldn't figure out if I had just done something incorrectly or if the game really ended after throwing the glass on the table.

Get Off My Lawn
Liked the title screen gimmick. A nice simple game; wish I could resize the window though (Alt+Enter to fullscreen did work).

You Were Promised a Jetpack
I liked the Lizard Men models, they looked like mini-Godzillas. Game gets too easy once you have enough gun powerups, but when you don't have them I feel like the lizard men take too long to kill. Something more classic-bullet-hell might have been better, where instead of powering up damage you power up how many shots you're firing (and adding shots at an angle, etc). Also, the bullets keep going when they're offscreen, so if I just fired endlessly the enemies would be dead before I could even see them.

Lou-ny Ballon-y Goes Floatin' Round Town
The Jam page for this one is like reading an old Nintendo game manual. Game has a cool concept, and is polished all around with a very consistent look, sound, and feel. I liked the interplay between having a bunch of balloons and/or having a bunch of feathers, though a way to discard the feathers would have been nice (other than getting hit which also costs balloons). It wasn't until about the third level that I started realizing having too many feathers was also very detrimental. I haven't seen the Krell-Twist™ because the game got too hard and I couldn't make it to the end :saddowns: With or without it though, really great stuff overall. Also, don't know if it was intentional, but I liked that the game screen is more or less Gameboy-screen proportions too.

That Pokeyman thing Your Grandkids are Into
Pretty cool game! I liked the dumb Pokemon names, good dialogue too. The radar was definitely really nice to have, game could have been super frustrating without it.

RX Mania
It took me a little bit to understand how to play, but simple enough once I figured it out. I like the Tetris-Attack-style music modification when you're about to lose. Agreed with the notes on your page that the game is too easy at the starting difficulties, and takes a while to ramp up.

Walking with Gramps
Funny game, the walking sound got a bit repetitive though. Only big issue is it seems there aren't enough random events to cover the number of turns required to win, so they occasionally repeated themselves (though it ended up working out for me since I got the food truck a second time just as I was running out of Glucose!).

RIP, Old Man
Interesting idea; didn't realize the first time through I had to mash the enter key. Pretty cool for what it is, only complaint is it would have been nice to be able to restart without having to re-run the game again (not that it took long to do that).

Ennui
I uh.. couldn't figure out how to do anything. Maybe that was the idea? But I couldn't interact with anything other than the TV, none of the items I picked up seemed to make anything responsive. The presentation seemed nice though! Some indication of 'hey this thing is now interactable' when you picked up an item would have helped a lot here I think.

Uphill Both Ways
Cool concept, and I like that the turned-over-world did factor into gameplay with the snowballs. Unfortunately I got stuck at the giant snowball as it wouldn't move anywhere and I couldn't figure out how to get around it :(

Battle of Wits
Pretty nifty, I got all into the nonograms and kinda wished there were more of them :v:

Game Based on the Results to a Vote that People Had
I'M STILL ANGGRRYYYYYYYYYYY (fairly simple ride, but I cracked up at that every time)

Old Man's Drive
I found it easier to just avoid the enemies instead of actually trying to shoot them most of the time, especially since aiming meant the golf cart would also get steered. Nice music/sounds, and the actual shooting felt nice and puncy. Also got a kick out of the old-school horizon-rolling thing for the field.

YWDH
Pretty neat, very creepy. I wish there was more dialogue, was starting to see repeats even on the very first floor; are this game's rooms randomly generated? If they aren't it'd be a good candidate for it, I think. Only problem I ran into was the door triggers were a bit buggy, they seemed to only want to trigger if there was no text being shown (and even then sometimes it took me a while before I could get through).

Grandpa's Home
Didn't get too far I don't think; I found one fake deed, but couldn't figure out where else I could go in the house?

More reviews coming soon, gotta go through the rest of the builds I downloaded. Thanks everyone who gave us some notes on Grandpa GO! It turned out way too hard and is missing a lot of stuff we wanted to add to it, but it ended up much more playable than I expected after all the times I changed up how the controls worked.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty

ApproachingInfinity posted:

micro review of Loterķa del Adiós

Thank you for the feedback on Loterķa! If you do want to hop straight into a fight, on the options menu turn on debug mode. Then you can use the slider controls that appear in the top right on the overworld to hop to a chapter. Morning of chapter 2 or morning of chapter 5 are best for just getting into a battle as soon as possible.

I tried to cut as much from the story I originally wrote as possible to try to make the game fit the short attention spans I imagined most people looking to just tool around with game jam games would have, but you're not the first to tell me that I lost some coherence along the way. Since I plan to continue work on this game (as I have with all my other game jam games) I'll be restoring what was cut along with some other improvements to address issues folks have told me about here and in the IRC.

Earlier today I was chatting with Buffi and we had an exchange that went something like this:

Buffi: The Cloud literally ate Grandma but instead it got interpreted as domestic abuse. Awkward!
Me: My game is about domestic abuse but instead it got interpreted as Grandpa literally fighting a talking umbrella. Awkward!

:unsmigghh:

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe
Thanks for the great Gong Shows everyone, definitely appreciated and my favorite part of each jam! I'll announce my prize picks after judging this week.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
Ah, that's right, I have an outstanding bounty too! If your game has an :iceburn:, make it known to me! I am also pretty sure that I have already spotted some good contenders!

E: ApproachingInfinity, was the character who never shouted Loterķa El Gallo? If so that was intentional - it should be impossible to lose that match.

Xibanya fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Aug 8, 2016

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
So just thumbed through all the Gong Show, either I missed it or Grandpa's Great Escape wasn't played at all and I didn't even hear any mention about it. What's up with that?

Calipark
Feb 1, 2008

That's cool.

Protocol7 posted:

So just thumbed through all the Gong Show, either I missed it or Grandpa's Great Escape wasn't played at all and I didn't even hear any mention about it. What's up with that?

Yeah looks like we accidentally missed it. Oops!

I'll get the guests back together and we'll record a section with it and splice it into the YouTube version.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Hahaha no one even told me that the music was turned to 0 by default. Craig is gonna be pissed! :v:

Edit:
Some stuff about the game, the Government Goon has super high HP and can be hurt while stunned which is cheap but it's also really easy to beat him by bouncing on his head a lot, which in turn makes it super easy to glitch him below -2 hp so he never dies. I forgot to go back and add a flag :sweatdrop: He was also supposed to drop health as a reward and that is ALSO bugged

I should have explained the Bingo more in game too. It gives you full health but also raises your max hp. It was going to give you an extra life but I decided to take lives out to minimize frustration.

About the theme adherence, I'm literally thinking of lifting Grandpa/bingo out and making a longer game for fun, so that criticism is pretty much bang on :D

I'm glad you guys got to the boss, never even thought about reflecting shots back at him, that would have been cool as heck.

Shoehead fucked around with this message at 09:40 on Aug 8, 2016

KRILLIN IN THE NAME
Mar 25, 2006

:ssj:goku i won't do what u tell me:ssj:

Shoehead posted:

Hahaha no one even told me that the music was turned to 0 by default. Craig is gonna be pissed! :v:

Edit:
Some stuff about the game, the Government Goon has super high HP and can be hurt while stunned which is cheap but it's also really easy to beat him by bouncing on his head a lot, which in turn makes it super easy to glitch him below -2 hp so he never dies. I forgot to go back and add a flag :sweatdrop: He was also supposed to drop health as a reward and that is ALSO bugged

I should have explained the Bingo more in game too. It gives you full health but also raises your max hp. It was going to give you an extra life but I decided to take lives out to minimize frustration.

About the theme adherence, I'm literally thinking of lifting Grandpa/bingo out and making a longer game for fun, so that criticism is pretty much bang on :D

I'm glad you guys got to the boss, never even thought about reflecting shots back at him, that would have been cool as heck.

what up forgot to check conditions outside of the specified target resulting in a bug buddy

(this is why the werthers original game lasted forever because it registered 2 hits in the same frame right as it was on 74)

Rob Filter
Jan 19, 2009

Rob Filter posted:

My teams game is on the last day.

Excellent!

We want to have our 3d overworld, which we cut from the judge version, ready to go live before the stream. Our time window is maximized!

Well poo poo we failed that window. At least Games not for grandpa was well received on the gong show!

We will have a public release soon. We will, we will. I believe.

Buffis
Apr 29, 2006

I paid for this
Fallen Rib
Thanks for all the kind words towards Cloud Yeller during the gong show. Don't forget to give us lots of prizes!

TodPunk
Feb 9, 2013

What do you mean, "TRON isn't a documentary?"

JonTerp posted:

Yeah looks like we accidentally missed it. Oops!

I'll get the guests back together and we'll record a section with it and splice it into the YouTube version.

I have failed to do a follow-up which is why this mishap happened.

As a reminder, this was up-in-the-air as to being broken. I played through it multiple times and can't get it to move past a single round (it hangs trying to move one of the guards around). I'm marking it broken, though I wrote a review on what little gameplay I can get out of it. If we were to gong-show this it would last about 30 seconds, most of which would be JonTerp figuring out what to click.

(This is not criticism to the game itself, just the reality of it's playability for the judge submitted version. I think the review is as informative as it can be, and is not reflected in this post.)

TodPunk fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Aug 8, 2016

Calipark
Feb 1, 2008

That's cool.
Community choice poll is up.

There is currently no prize for this, it's just for ego and honor.

https://goo.gl/forms/xA8jnZJpTg2Ls1qj1

By the way here are the top picks!

Battle of Wits
GranPappa
Grandpa GO
#JustGrandpaThings
Cloud Yeller
Lou-ny Balloon-y Goes Floatin' 'Round Town
That Pokeyman Thing Your Grandkids Are Into
Grumpy Grandpa in the Big Breakout
Chip-it-in Golf
RX Mania
Grandpa's Videogames For Knuckleheads
Gramp in the Shell A SeniorPunk Adventure
YWDH
The Lawn
Story Time with Grampum Peepmpop
Yosemite Birding: It's a Snap!
Souvenir
Old Man's Drive: Infinite galactic Golf

Giggs
Jan 4, 2013

mama huhu
I'm really relieved Story Time with Grampum Peepmpop was enjoyed on the Gong Show and made the streamers laugh. When I came up with the idea I was more concerned with it just fitting together and working than actually being explicitly funny. I also thought that people, in general, thought very little of the comedic appeal of mad-libs but was again happy to see that wasn't necessarily the case.

This was all very nice and I'm pleased with what I put out there. Also the quality of games this year is really good. I don't remember much of the previous 3 years of jams but this year is good.

Some more little reviews:

Ennui: Really good concept, fun to look around and find stuff, but if I hadn't seen it on the Gong Show I wouldn't really know where to start. Interact-able things are hard to spot, and the toilet isn't one of them? Madness! I really do appreciate the extremely dark interpretation of the theme though. Didn't see too much of that this jam.

Battle of Wits: This was great. It was a bit short though, another crossword or wordsearch would've helped make it feel more full, but I can't knock a game that has picross in it. I will play any picross in any situation forever. The visual style was a nice way to work around asset creation while still feel appropriate and the story is silly enough.

Uphill Both Ways: Got the three coins which was good fun, but also ran into the problem of the giant snowball blocking the exit and finding out that dying doesn't reset the objects. I also just noticed that the character's momentum is also a big factor in the disorientation and maybe that could have been made a bit tighter. It's really cool to see the progress of this one from the posts in the thread throughout the month.

Grandpa's Medicine: Nice idea, but so much waiting is involved. Waiting for the next ailment to trigger, waiting for the last few pills to be used up when you recognize the others are all extras etc. It's also too easy, and this combined with the waiting drags the experience down. After the first level I would take hits to my health by grabbing two or more pills I'd need to use later when I had no ailments just to pick up the pace a bit. The UI is also a bit more of a hassle than it needs to be. Also on a few levels it would select 3 of the 4 ailments until they were all used up and then one ailment remained 4 or 5 times before the end of the level (which is why I resorted to taking damage to move ahead). The doubling up of ailments, however, was really cool. If these ailments interacted better (eg. blur + colour blindness) it would elevate the game a lot. This game has a bunch of potential but is currently a bit rough.

Yosemite Birding: Most of the artwork is beautiful, though the play areas stand out in their simplicity relative to the cutscenes. The dialog is natural and funny, expressive and builds the characters nicely. I'm usually terrible at noticing music in games/movies/tv shows but I very much noticed it in this game, and it's really great. I'm not sure why but it fits so well. It's really great. I was a little disappointed at the reuse of some birds though the new information and dialog shared after those stages makes it better.

Vfib: Well it's super short. It looks nice but you can't really look at anything while you're playing which is a bummer. Even looking at the heart for the bpm isn't really viable because it's the opposite direction from the incoming beats. If this game was about grandpa listening to the radio with some voice acting then I think it would be a much better product. You'd retain the information of what's changing your heart-rate (classical music vs political ravings vs weather vs 1930s radio soaps etc) and also be able to enjoy it while playing. Some small tweaks can really improve this game, but it is still a good little thing to play.

Games for Knuckleheads: "Mrs Grandma" is good, I can't figure out what o1^H^H means, but this is a decent mini-game collection. The problems lie with the music, which I totally don't understand, and that some of the games are a bit buggy. Hitboxes on pills and pill spawns can make you lose unfairly, and same with the hat/bug/star/creature game. The story is alright and soap opera disease is funny. After a few months I had my stats filled out and noticed resting didn't decay them at all so I just rested until the end of the game and got BEST END.

Grandpa Games: Well, the games aren't great and the level selector is theoretically dangerous but hey, that ending was pretty funny. I tried reversing the audio as a whole, in parts, and goofed around with it in other ways but couldn't get it to sound like words so now I'm wondering if it was just gibberish or how you made the audio clip at least.

e: forgot this one
#JustGrandpaThings: I was surprisingly disappointed by this one. Most of the minigames give little to no feedback, the music loop is short and repetitive (though definitely the right idea as it plays over every game without starts/stops), some of the games are a bit too similar, few of the games have a way to "lose" and when they do it feels like it devalues the game (the pacman clone). Also the picking up the grandkids at the school is much too similar to another game someone made before. The polish is very apparent, but the games aren't satisfying or particularly interesting. My favourite was the mini-golf game, because the waggling stick is very funny and uses the grandpa theme well. Grandpas are shakey. Also alarm noise.

Giggs fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Aug 8, 2016

EntranceJew
Nov 5, 2009

ApproachingInfinity posted:

YWDH
Pretty neat, very creepy. I wish there was more dialogue, was starting to see repeats even on the very first floor; are this game's rooms randomly generated? If they aren't it'd be a good candidate for it, I think. Only problem I ran into was the door triggers were a bit buggy, they seemed to only want to trigger if there was no text being shown (and even then sometimes it took me a while before I could get through).

For some reason, in the build we hosted the RNG for the dialog seemed to only give one option on the gong show. Hopefully the latest build (that is just a re-publication of what we had) fixes that? I don't know how to appease Unity.

The door triggers used the same system as everything else to activate, it gave you half a second to fully acknowledge what you were looking at and it waited to activate until whatever thought was currently being displayed ended to prevent interrupting one thought by looking at something else. Items near doors can admittedly be a hassle. If you're interested in seeing how the room generator works the full source for YWDH is available here. It might ruin some of the secrets for you. I probably swear a lot in the source code.

Also, for next year, we've published our build script: UnityBuild -- it isn't very advanced and it requires being run under cygwin but it works well enough to package a unity project up for judging without any quirks.

Musical_Daredevil
Dec 23, 2008

Need some backup NOW!

JonTerp posted:

By the way here are the top picks!

drat. After submitting what I thought was the best game I've ever worked on for the competition I was hoping we would at least make the final cut.

For whatever it's worth, Back In MY Day v1.1 is available as a public release. We didn't make any major changes, just a few adjustments based on a few comments.
-32 and 64-bit downloads have been separated
-The book upgrade actually works now
-ID Card and Master Key upgrades cost more
-Minor tweaks to the fog and lighting
-The main menu theme plays while in the market
-Removed the useless "delete all saved data" button from the main menu options

Download links:
Windows 64-bit
Windows 32-bit

I'm hoping to get a postmortem written later with team comments regarding Unreal Engine. I'm already on to my next project, though, so I'm not sure when, exactly.

Gunzil
Jan 1, 2010

EntranceJew posted:

Also, for next year, we've published our build script: UnityBuild -- it isn't very advanced and it requires being run under cygwin but it works well enough to package a unity project up for judging without any quirks.

I am highly invested in this. Especially if I can combine it with something that auto-dumps the result on the itch and notifies people that I made a build.

EntranceJew posted:

If you're interested in seeing how the room generator works the full source for YWDH is available here. It might ruin some of the secrets for you. I probably swear a lot in the source code.

Enjoying the "garbage" directory and the "appease JonTerp" comment surrounding cursor lock checks. Also holy poo poo these commit messages are a lot more colorful than I'm used to.

Harold Krell
Sep 10, 2011

I truly believe that anyone and everyone is capable of making their dreams come true.

:unsmigghh:
I made a video playthrough of Lou-ny Balloon-y Goes Floatin' 'Round Town for those that were having troubles with the controls.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8uLsuVfPI38

EntranceJew
Nov 5, 2009

Gunzil posted:

I am highly invested in this. Especially if I can combine it with something that auto-dumps the result on the itch and notifies people that I made a build.
The tool itself doesn't do those sorts of things, I was thinking at most to have it read some sort of config json file and spit out builds for all the targets, but you could set something up with butler and get that second-phase upload you were looking for. A handful of people may have already done that. A lot better than myself.

Gunzil posted:

Enjoying the "garbage" directory and the "appease JonTerp" comment surrounding cursor lock checks. Also holy poo poo these commit messages are a lot more colorful than I'm used to.
Move fast and break things, then attempt to fix them and break everything else.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

TodPunk posted:

As a reminder, this was up-in-the-air as to being broken. I played through it multiple times and can't get it to move past a single round (it hangs trying to move one of the guards around). I'm marking it broken, though I wrote a review on what little gameplay I can get out of it. If we were to gong-show this it would last about 30 seconds, most of which would be JonTerp figuring out what to click.

(This is not criticism to the game itself, just the reality of it's playability for the judge submitted version. I think the review is as informative as it can be, and is not reflected in this post.)

And this is exactly why I was bitching about that "you only get one shot" rule. We got the game working within the time limit of the jam, and yet I find myself and my teammates penalized. But I guess it's alright because the rule teaches us a valuable "Real Game Dev" lesson. I have no delusions that the game we submitted was going to be any good whatsoever, but it would have been really nice to at least have a fair chance - especially given the last-minute extension.

Macichne Leainig fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Aug 9, 2016

WrathOfBlade
May 30, 2011

It looks like some folks have stolen my game and are making banner ad money from it. (They also renamed it "Pokemon GO Flash", which I think is a really creative touch!)

Does anyone have experience dealing with this sort of thing? Really not happy about it but I don't know what recourse I can take.

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

Protocol7 posted:

And this is exactly why I was bitching about that "you only get one shot" rule. We got the game working within the time limit of the jam, and yet I find myself and my teammates penalized. But I guess it's alright because the rule teaches us a valuable "Real Game Dev" lesson. I have no delusions that the game we submitted was going to be any good whatsoever, but it would have been really nice to at least have a fair chance - especially given the last-minute extension.

I'm like 80% sure the rule is in place because bandwidth and disk space are expensive and these jams are run entirely out-of-pocket. If I were to be submitting updated builds of my 2 gigabyte UE4 monstrosity every other day, I'm sure that would cause serious issues for someone's wallet.

I don't actually know what Real Game Dev Lesson this is supposed to teach in the era of day-0 patches.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

WrathOfBlade posted:

It looks like some folks have stolen my game and are making banner ad money from it. (They also renamed it "Pokemon GO Flash", which I think is a really creative touch!)

Does anyone have experience dealing with this sort of thing? Really not happy about it but I don't know what recourse I can take.

Heads up - this convinced me to try out your game (on your real site), and it doesn't seem to work for me. Clicking just makes the loading bar pop up... and then it goes away, still on the same screen. Weird. It seems to work for most people and I was looking forward to trying it, darn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WrathOfBlade
May 30, 2011

GlyphGryph posted:

Heads up - this convinced me to try out your game (on your real site), and it doesn't seem to work for me. Clicking just makes the loading bar pop up... and then it goes away, still on the same screen. Weird. It seems to work for most people and I was looking forward to trying it, darn.

Oh no! :gonk: Mind telling me what browser you were using/whether or not any errors popped up in the console?

• Locked thread