Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Another Person
Oct 21, 2010
So, I've never listened to the podcasts on the Observer before, and I tried today to give it a look. I went onto the July 24 show, because it was the only thing that interested me that seemed available and it does not seem to work. It just buffers, forever. In fact, everything does. Is this because I am not a subscriber?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice

Another Person posted:

So, I've never listened to the podcasts on the Observer before, and I tried today to give it a look. I went onto the July 24 show, because it was the only thing that interested me that seemed available and it does not seem to work. It just buffers, forever. In fact, everything does. Is this because I am not a subscriber?

Yeah. There's usually only a show or so free each week. They're usually pretty well noted on the manage as the free ones.

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010
Ahhh, okay. Well, the free one this week looks like the one I am least interested in, and if they are going to hide all of their content behind a paywall and not look after details very well, then I guess this might not be for me.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
The payment security thing is a totally valid concern, but um... they mark the free stuff clearly, and their business model is based around the paywall. Do you get mad that Netflix won't let you watch anything you want for free too?

EDIT: OK, that probably comes off snarkier than I really meant. It's just a bit odd to be surprised and complain about that particular aspect when they're very up-front about the content being for subscribers.

Gaz-L fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Jul 25, 2014

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010
No, the website just looks so terrible with random words capitalised on headlines that the word FREE was totally glazed over by me and confused me. That is either a failure of my comprehension, or their idea of design. Even more, when you do click on a thing that is subscriber only, it does nothing to inform you that you are on content you are not allowed to use except waste your time with a buffer timer set to 'forever'. Their website is pretty bum looking and doesn't do much to help you figure out what is and is not sub only. Label things as sub only, just to help keep your site clear.

Also, I didn't really even type that in an angry state, gently caress knows how you interpreted madness. It was at most a passing 'eh'.

e; oh, cool, you chilled off on your oddly aggressive stance. FWIW, to an absolute outsider, their site does nothing to illustrate how much of their content is sub only and how much is free. I still think their site is in dire need of a redesign though.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I agree that the site does a bad job of making it clear what things they've listed on the front page are subscriber only. Unless I'm missing something incredibly obvious, the only way to find out is to left click the "right click here!" button and you'll be taken to a login page. If you click play, like Another Person says, you just get an endless buffering message.

I guess the way they're set up, they feel it is easier just to put FREE! on something that is free, and everything else is assumed to be subscriber only content. Except sometimes they have text updates that are free to view and other times they're behind the paywall, and there's never any indication of which is which until you click the link.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Outside of podcasts and newsgroups Dave Meltzer knows about as much about the Internet as your average old man who's had AOL since 1994.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

to be fair Dave Meltzer did not build their website but imagine if he did

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Cardboard Box posted:

There'd be more polls.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Reverse clickbait ads

RONDA ROUSEY TOTALLY NUDE BUT DON'T CLICK BECAUSE SHE'S NOT EVEN THAT HOT

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010
The Zack Ryder ep of TIJ is up. Not had a chance to listen yet because I am watching the SDCC panel. As a guy excited about this, I hope it is worth it. Zack is the guy who has been in the locker room for a fairly long time now, has been on most of the brands, and still hasn't really climbed anywhere. His perspective will be interesting.

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Another Person posted:

The Zack Ryder ep of TIJ is up. Not had a chance to listen yet because I am watching the SDCC panel. As a guy excited about this, I hope it is worth it. Zack is the guy who has been in the locker room for a fairly long time now, has been on most of the brands, and still hasn't really climbed anywhere. His perspective will be interesting.

Allow me to summarize Zack's perspective: :qq:

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

Wanting to get into the Attitude Era Podcast, what's a good intro episode for it?

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010

bradzilla posted:

Allow me to summarize Zack's perspective: :qq:

I didn't actually think he was that moany. Certainly not as bad as JRs intros, complaining about the biz. He just kinda discussed his career as a lowcarder or dark match man, and shared a few good stories. Worth a listen, imo. I feel bad he has never really hit his big break, I like him a lot.

Also, googling a bit about him, I also found out that he has a different version of his theme which is just as great as his current (I legit like it for a wrestler song)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_lbm_WWhKx0

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

Cardboard Box posted:

Dave Meltzer's angelfire Dallas fan page

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

Another Person posted:

No, the website just looks so terrible with random words capitalised on headlines that the word FREE was totally glazed over by me and confused me. That is either a failure of my comprehension, or their idea of design. Even more, when you do click on a thing that is subscriber only, it does nothing to inform you that you are on content you are not allowed to use except waste your time with a buffer timer set to 'forever'. Their website is pretty bum looking and doesn't do much to help you figure out what is and is not sub only. Label things as sub only, just to help keep your site clear.

Also, I didn't really even type that in an angry state, gently caress knows how you interpreted madness. It was at most a passing 'eh'.

e; oh, cool, you chilled off on your oddly aggressive stance. FWIW, to an absolute outsider, their site does nothing to illustrate how much of their content is sub only and how much is free. I still think their site is in dire need of a redesign though.

I think Bryan mentioned they were going to redesign the site and make a mobile app. We'll see if that ever happens.

If you're still interested, the f4wonline station for tunein radio has a lot of the more recent free shows on loop of you're interested in checking the shows out.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

xNarUtoRKOrton420x posted:

Wanting to get into the Attitude Era Podcast, what's a good intro episode for it?

Honestly, just go through it chronologically.

Their funniest episode is the Wrestlemania Rage Party though. Although I wouldn't recommend it to begin with because, y'know, not wrestling. Plus it's only 2 out of 3 of the hosts.

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

Well the whole thing is chronological through the attitude era so the beginning is as good a place to start as any, and the running jokes in the series start fairly early on. They do improve over time, but the early episodes aren't particularly rough listening. it's fine to skip around to episodes for PPVs you liked/disliked. Their Russo Special episode for WCW's Bash at the Beach 2000 is standalone and very funny if you want a snapshot of the series before deciding if you want to listen to it all.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
I believe Meltzer still answers emails from his father's Juno account.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Bigass Moth posted:

Vince McMahon has a Juno account?

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Take a look at the masked man
Beating up the wrong guy
Oh man! Wonder if he'll ever know
Chris Benoit killed his family
Honestly Dave and Bryan's lack of knowledge about anything outside the wrestling bubble - including technology - is half their charm.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

Bigass Moth posted:

Yeah when you get an email back from Dave, the signature is some random ad inserted by Juno. Here's one I had in my inbox: "How to Sleep Like a Rock: Obey this one natural trick to fall asleep and stay asleep all night!"

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice

Require More Fire posted:

Honestly Dave and Bryan's lack of knowledge about anything outside the wrestling bubble - including technology - is half their charm.

Konnan lambasting them for their lack of pop culture awareness while on the show remains one of my favorite all-time WON/F4W moments.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

I guess Colt interviews JR on his lost podcast. :getin:

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you

NotQuiteQuentin posted:

Konnan lambasting them for their lack of pop culture awareness while on the show remains one of my favorite all-time WON/F4W moments.

Dave I can excuse, because the guy seems to watch every single wrestling / MMA show there is even if he doesn't talk about it.

I have no idea what Bryan does with his time besides watching a few shows here and there, chasing cats and doing BJJ.

ch3cooh
Jun 26, 2006

Like the others said, go through it from the beginning. Part of what is fun about it is that one of the hosts, Billy, had never watched any of the Attitude Era. So he brings no nostalgia to the table while Adam and Kefin do. Early on Billy expresses some opinions about a certain tag team that Adam and Kefin LOVE from their childhood, only to see Adam and Kefin slowly realize that Billy is right.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

triplexpac posted:

Dave I can excuse, because the guy seems to watch every single wrestling / MMA show there is even if he doesn't talk about it.

I have no idea what Bryan does with his time besides watching a few shows here and there, chasing cats and doing BJJ.

I thought I heard he teaches gymnastics classes.

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice

triplexpac posted:

The great thing is that Dave is so much more with it than Bryan, you can tell from the Sin Limite/his time as a sports reporter that he actually has the capacity to know what's going on in pop culture.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

ch3cooh posted:

Like the others said, go through it from the beginning. Part of what is fun about it is that one of the hosts, Billy, had never watched any of the Attitude Era. So he brings no nostalgia to the table while Adam and Kefin do. Early on Billy expresses some opinions about a certain tag team that Adam and Kefin LOVE from their childhood, only to see Adam and Kefin slowly realize that Billy is right.

And vice versa, they rewatch someone they both hated and realize he's actually pretty great.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

DJExile posted:

I thought I heard he teaches gymnastics classes.

He teaches BJJ classes. I don't know if he teaches gymnastics as well or not.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

sportsgenius86 posted:

He teaches BJJ classes. I don't know if he teaches gymnastics as well or not.

He used to, but he's been referring to it in the past tense the last year or two, so I think the BJJ took over that. He also helps his wife with her conservation work, I think?

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Gaz-L posted:

He used to, but he's been referring to it in the past tense the last year or two, so I think the BJJ took over that. He also helps his wife with her conservation work, I think?

I don't know that he's super involved in it other than teaching Whitney how to do podcasts because he made reference to being home alone during the week when she's at that apartment they rented by her Whale Scout stuff.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
I've always wondered how Bryan met Dave and how he got the gig for doing all the wrestling observer stuff. Can anyone shed some light on this?

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

mariooncrack posted:

I've always wondered how Bryan met Dave and how he got the gig for doing all the wrestling observer stuff. Can anyone shed some light on this?

Bryan ran a separate site and they merged. They did radio stuff together long before the merger. I don't know for sure, but I always got the impression it was easier for Dave to merge than establish an online presence he really didn't care about much in the first place.

e: from Wikipedia "Alvarez and Meltzer began working in radio together in 1999 as part of Eyada.com, the first-ever live streaming Internet radio station, based out of New York City. The original Wrestling Observer Live was the most-listened-to program on the network and the final program to air before the station closed down.[4][5] Alvarez hosted his own 900-number wrestling hotline through Figure Four Weekly in the mid-90s, then shut it down and moved to Meltzer's 900-number Wrestling Observer Hotline. Meltzer invited him to be a guest on the first several episodes of Wrestling Observer Live on Eyada as a co-host to bounce news stories off of at the beginning of the program. Later, Alvarez became a full-time co-host. When Eyada went out of business in 2001, the show eventually moved to the Sports Byline USA radio network. Meltzer eventually gave up hosting duties to devote more time to MMA columns for Yahoo.com and Alvarez took over as lead host."

Truther Vandross fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Jul 25, 2014

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Take a look at the masked man
Beating up the wrong guy
Oh man! Wonder if he'll ever know
Chris Benoit killed his family

triplexpac posted:

He also chases Bigfoot and Art Bell.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you
Yeah it's weird to think of the pre-Dave F4W. I subscribed back when Dave was just a guest every week or two, I have no idea why I thought paying to listen to Bryan & Vinny was worth it at the time without Big Dave as a regular contributor to drop the knowledge.

Then again, B&V reviewing Impact was the true main event of the site for a long time.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Require More Fire posted:

He also chases Bigfoot and Art Bell.

Art Bell is a god damned national treasure and I won't have anyone besmirch him.

Muddy Burphy
Dec 4, 2010

The #RXT REVOLUTION has two words for ya..
SCOOP IT!

:frogc00l:

he knows...

triplexpac posted:

Yeah it's weird to think of the pre-Dave F4W. I subscribed back when Dave was just a guest every week or two, I have no idea why I thought paying to listen to Bryan & Vinny was worth it at the time without Big Dave as a regular contributor to drop the knowledge.

Then again, B&V reviewing Impact was the true main event of the site for a long time.

To be fair it was like $6 cheaper wasn't it?

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
No, maybe $1 difference.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

scott hall can't even sign a card for a kid with cancer smh

• Locked thread