Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

univbee posted:

it was a huge pain more recently when computers would only ship with windows 8.0

- install first wave of updates
- install windows 8.1 via the store
- install 2nd wave of updates so you'd be updated to "Windows 8.1 Update"
- install next wave of updates

"install this update to enable the installation of future updates from microsoft"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pram
Jun 10, 2001
It just werks

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge

carry on then posted:

"install this update to enable the installation of future updates from microsoft"
updating the updater

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
my favorite windows 8 product placement is in arrow where they constantly show the windows 8 metro home screen briefly before switching to fake tv uis to do their actual elite crime fighting hackering

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

my understanding is that ms doesn't bundle updates because various cjs need to test if they break their lovely internal foxpro lob apps before deploying but you'd think for consumers they could

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
does windows 8.1 update still not even show up in the store if your updates aren't installed? that was pretty lol. instead of telling users why they can't install an update, just don't show it to them at all! that's way less confusing.

my desktop got to a point where one stupid update wouldn't install and no amount of janitoring could get it to install and I couldn't get 8.1 till I reinstalled 8 from scratch.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

rrrrrrrrrrrt posted:

does windows 8.1 update still not even show up in the store if your updates aren't installed? that was pretty lol. instead of telling users why they can't install an update, just don't show it to them at all! that's way less confusing.

my desktop got to a point where one stupid update wouldn't install and no amount of janitoring could get it to install and I couldn't get 8.1 till I reinstalled 8 from scratch.

for 8.1 to show up in the store there are two specific updates required, i ended up keeping their installers on a usb key so i could upgrade computers to 8.1 as fast as possible

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

qirex posted:

my understanding is that ms doesn't bundle updates because various cjs need to test if they break their lovely internal foxpro lob apps before deploying but you'd think for consumers they could

another factor is to encourage people to upgrade (at least that's why they never released a Win 7 SP2)

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

computer parts posted:

another factor is to encourage people to upgrade (at least that's why they never released a Win 7 SP2)

idk, "run this updater once, reboot once" seems like an easier sell than "downloading patch 04 of 420"

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

don't forget that after you update to windows 8.1 you then need to update to windows 8.1 update 1 which is a completely different thing and should have been named win 8.2 or something

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
are they going to do windows 10 in the windows store?

if 8.1 being the only release to be done through the store would be a pretty ms thing to do.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

rrrrrrrrrrrt posted:

are they going to do windows 10 in the windows store?

if 8.1 being the only release to be done through the store would be a pretty ms thing to do.

windows 7 users will be able to upgrade to 10 so they'll have to have something else in place

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

John Diefenbaker is a madman who thinks he's John Diefenbaker.
Pillbug

computer parts posted:

i still hold out hope that clients with $$$ who will be on win7 until the end of time will convince microsoft to do this, or at least a goddamn update rollup

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

qirex posted:

lol they used to have separate home and business operating systems but then windows me happened and lol

EMILY BLUNTS
Jan 1, 2005

carry on then posted:

lol they used to have separate home and business operating systems

i miss Windows 98 For Workgroups

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

qirex posted:

the ironing is that cjs will use tools microsoft provides to bundle updates themselves.

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

univbee posted:

windows 7 users will be able to :airquote:upgrade:airquote: to 10 so they'll have to have something else in place

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

Lysidas posted:

i still hold out hope that clients with $$$ who will be on win7 until the end of time will convince microsoft to do this, or at least a goddamn update rollup

there was an update rollup towards the end, but iir it was only released through msdn as a thing for sysadmins

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Lysidas posted:

i think generally cilents who need it are probably rolling their own custom images and would just update those on their end

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

Lysidas posted:

they have said quite a few times that they are intentionally not doing more SP's or rollups to discourage people from staying on their old OS release until EOL

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

giving a shitload of money and access to the verge might be the only good investment microsoft has made in the last 10 years

quote:

A ninja cat riding a fire-breathing unicorn is exactly why Microsoft is cool again

Microsoft’s Windows team likes ninja cats and fire-breathing unicorns if this laptop sticker is anything to go by. I first heard about the existence of this laptop sticker shortly before the first Windows 10 event in September, and I’ve been trying to track it down ever since. The stickers magically appeared on Microsoft's campus, and Windows team members have snapped them up and some use them on their laptops.
yes that screams cool not tryhard oatmeal monkey cheese bullshit

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

qirex posted:

giving a shitload of money and access to the verge might be the only good investment microsoft has made in the last 10 years

i am nothing in this picture

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I'm the awful die-cutting

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

qirex posted:

wow I need windows 10 inside me now

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

qirex posted:

wait the windows team uses macbooks???

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

qirex posted:

I'm the awful die-cutting

holy lol

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

qirex posted:

that sticker kinda looks like its on a macbook of some kind

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Elder Postsman posted:

wait the windows team uses macbooks???

they wouldn't be able to retain employees if they made them use pc hardware

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Lightbulb Out posted:

that sticker kinda looks like its on a macbook of some kind
that explains why the sticker itself has a massive drop shadow

Dubstep Jesus
Jun 27, 2012

by exmarx

univbee posted:

windows 7 users will be able to upgrade to 10 so they'll have to have something else in place

i hope they make windows 7 users go upgrade to windows 8 then windows 8.1 then windows 8.1 update 1 then they can finally install windows 10(after installing the update that makes that work)

pram
Jun 10, 2001

slogsdon posted:

i hope they make windows 7 users go upgrade to windows 8 then windows 8.1 then windows 8.1 update 1 then they can finally install windows 10(after installing the update that makes that work)

More like the "upgrade" will just wipe everything but your home dir

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

but to remain license-compliant the upgrade from 7 to 8 to 8.1 to 8.1 u1 is first run inside a virtual machine, which is then itself wiped once the process sets the flag for readyfor10 to 'true'

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge

qirex posted:

nice new windows in old windows logo there

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."
check it out man, MS is :c00lbert: as gently caress

pram
Jun 10, 2001
god that looks like total poo poo

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

hard to believe they're still using those terrible drop shadows on icon text

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Happy_Misanthrope posted:

i'm the 5.28gb of ram

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

lol at those desktop icons, wtf are they thinking

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

no meds = f4

am i going to be ridiculed for being the aspect ratio?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

NICE!

• Locked thread