Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
bard's snapshot each time you iron jaws, right

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

SwissArmyDruid posted:

The more I look at MCH, the less I want to play it. It's absolutely evident that each job was assigned a team and they tried to balance everything after everyone turned in their assignments. It's the only explanation that I have for why MCH has zero skills gained between 40 and 50.

I'm not loving kidding, go look. No skill at 45, no skill at 42/46/48. You could absolutely bring several skill down a couple of extra notches, this would make it so you don't have to go TEN GODDAMN LEVELS FROM 52 TO 62 BEFORE YOU GET YOUR HEAT MANAGMENT TOOL.

Whatever team(s) designed PLD/NIN/BRD/AST should be assigned every single other job.

Minrad posted:

bard's snapshot each time you iron jaws, right

correct

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Do dots also snapshot on enemy debuffs like Contagion or Trick Attack or are those dynamically updated

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Ciaphas posted:

Do dots also snapshot on enemy debuffs like Contagion or Trick Attack or are those dynamically updated

They snapshot. The only exception is ground based AOEs like Shadowflare or Doton. They snapshot player buffs but dynamically update on enemy debuffs.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

my big list of job bitches:

healers: I think they got everything right, finally. Whm could maybe, MAYBE use a tiny group damage buff like chain strategem but otherwise literally any healer comp is good now. well done yoshi.
mch: idk why they don't just steal the entire bard job design, but instead of rotating through different songs, rotate through focusing on different inventions. a short wildfire rotation, a short gauss barrel rotation, then a short turret rotation. repeat. then just up the utility they provide to match bard, done.
tanks: pretty good spot. drk needs a reason to use dark passenger and maybe more options for what to use dark arts on, warrior just needs some better utility options to match pld/drk off tanks. shake it off is a good candidate for changing into that utility.
smn: needs a huge overhaul come 5.0 honestly. the whole pet idea is so lame and bahamut-egi just exemplifies that, rather than enhancing it.

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor
I think they missed something by not having SMN going around and trying to suss out various aetheric attunements, places heavy with various aspected aether, and creating their briefly lived summon effects from the traces left behind from these Primals having ever existed at all, since we know the creation of a new Primal permanently reshapes the world's energies.

It's worked them into a bit of a bind with anyone ELSE trying to learn how to be a Summoner since these are all people who will have intersected the Warrior of Light at some point or are working directly with the Ascians.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
had an aery in lldr. i joined with 23 minutes left, and my group wiped three times to nidhogg before clearing because the healer was in level 50 unupgraded ironworks gear.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

you weren't wiping because of the gear

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Minrad posted:

my big list of job bitches:

healers: I think they got everything right, finally. Whm could maybe, MAYBE use a tiny group damage buff like chain strategem but otherwise literally any healer comp is good now. well done yoshi.
mch: idk why they don't just steal the entire bard job design, but instead of rotating through different songs, rotate through focusing on different inventions. a short wildfire rotation, a short gauss barrel rotation, then a short turret rotation. repeat. then just up the utility they provide to match bard, done.
tanks: pretty good spot. drk needs a reason to use dark passenger and maybe more options for what to use dark arts on, warrior just needs some better utility options to match pld/drk off tanks. shake it off is a good candidate for changing into that utility.
smn: needs a huge overhaul come 5.0 honestly. the whole pet idea is so lame and bahamut-egi just exemplifies that, rather than enhancing it.

They should do away with the pets entirely and have the summons be "Spenders" that do a mix of things situation dependent. Garuda would be your single target high damage nuke, Ifrit your AOE nuke and Titan would be be a moderate damage nuke with a debuff or alternatively a buff (I kinda like the idea of him running up to the boss, punching it and dissipating into a stoneskin for the entire raid). Make it so each one can summon once you've blown through 3 aetherflow stacks. Create a few new aetherflow spenders (A dot and a nuke). Put Dreadwyrm on a 2 minute cooldown and remove any conditionals it has that allows you to blow out a bahamut which is a giant nuke/crit or damage buff to the party.

Do away with the egi system entirely and literally have the summoner yank out mini versions of the bosses to do these things.

Now it feels a lot different than scholar and it does away with lovely pet mechanics.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

I wonder if an SMN rework is even remotely possible before 5.0. Probably not, but that'd be interesting to see.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

had an aery in lldr. i joined with 23 minutes left, and my group wiped three times to nidhogg before clearing because the healer was in level 50 unupgraded ironworks gear.

That is pretty bad. It is not AS bad, but I once ran the Aery as a warrior using the ilvl 70 Unfinished Bravura because I had forgotten to unequip it. I was wondering why my DPS was so poo poo but I never checked and nobody told me so it just took a long time.

Maximum Chenergy
Aug 30, 2007

Its black mist swallows all.

Rhymenoserous posted:

They should do away with the pets entirely and have the summons be "Spenders" that do a mix of things situation dependent. Garuda would be your single target high damage nuke, Ifrit your AOE nuke and Titan would be be a moderate damage nuke with a debuff or alternatively a buff (I kinda like the idea of him running up to the boss, punching it and dissipating into a stoneskin for the entire raid). Make it so each one can summon once you've blown through 3 aetherflow stacks. Create a few new aetherflow spenders (A dot and a nuke). Put Dreadwyrm on a 2 minute cooldown and remove any conditionals it has that allows you to blow out a bahamut which is a giant nuke/crit or damage buff to the party.

Do away with the egi system entirely and literally have the summoner yank out mini versions of the bosses to do these things.

Now it feels a lot different than scholar and it does away with lovely pet mechanics.

You could even get fancier and have it have four different types of attunement for aetherflow. Ifrit attunement abilities would be AoE, and give you Ifrit gems, get up to 3 and pop an Ifrit. Get three Garudas (from single target nukes) and you get a big finisher. Three Titans (possibly from dots) gives you some kinda big debuff. Add an ability that converts all attuned slots regardless of type to Bahamut attunement, which lets you summon the big blueish boy. And either make aetherflow reset attunements or give some ability to dump "bad mixes" in case you goof and have like two Ifrits and a Garuda. Now Summoner feels like a more unique dps class and still has the thematic of ramping up to Big Cool Summons that Final Fantasy loves to do.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

Ironworks is still just about passable come the Aery, it's after that when it drops off sharp.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Ciaphas posted:

I wonder if an SMN rework is even remotely possible before 5.0. Probably not, but that'd be interesting to see.

It's possible but it'd require significant resources. There is precedent, remember technically rogue/ninja was introduced in a patch. To a lesser extent warrior got a huge do-over pretty early on too.

That said it'd be a pleasant surprise rather than something I expect to happen.

Maximum Chenergy
Aug 30, 2007

Its black mist swallows all.

Magil Zeal posted:

It's possible but it'd require significant resources. There is precedent, remember technically rogue/ninja was introduced in a patch. To a lesser extent warrior got a huge do-over pretty early on too.

That said it'd be a pleasant surprise rather than something I expect to happen.

WAR was 2.1, ROG/NIN was 2.4, and I can't think of any actual major class overhauls or changes after Heavensward launched. And considering 4.1 already seems to be pretty content heavy and backloaded (since there was just a Lot of Stuff they couldn't squeeze into 4.05 apparently?) I wouldn't expect it to be in a patch any time soon. Most likely Summoner (and possible Scholar) will get their actual overhaul in a later expansion if/when they do away with the class system. Which will probably end up being most of the content that expansion since that's a massive undertaking.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

That was a bad healer my friend

Did they DPS?

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies
The last time I did the Aery the healer had no right side an a level 40 weapon. We still cleared.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Maximum Chenergy posted:

Most likely Summoner (and possible Scholar) will get their actual overhaul in a later expansion if/when they do away with the class system. Which will probably end up being most of the content that expansion since that's a massive undertaking.

There is a 0% chance that this is the case - Blizzard has showcased how people react to major expansions that focus primarily on quality of life/leveling things, and it's overwhelmingly negative. It would show a significant lack of industry research to release an expansion which proudly boasts "we've removed a system which is, at most, a minor inconvenience during the first part of your experience here because it gets confusing when someone says 'black mage' but means 'thaumaturge', and this has consumed the majority of our development resources."

It's probably made obvious by that last line but I don't even think it's a big issue that needs solved. SMN/SCH is a unique case but by the time the level cap is 80 the two will have had so much time being divergent that a simple skill modification/reordering pass could handle this. You're completely right that it's probably a big design hurdle, but "massive undertaking" is pretty much how the glamour catalog has been described when people ask for it and I think it's safe to say that impacts significantly more players for a significantly longer period of playtime.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
tbh if they just made the black mage hotbar default to mirroring your thamauturge hotbar instead of being empty then like 90% of my issues with it would be gone

We know they consider smn and sch gaining exp together to be a problem but if they haven't changed it by now it can't be high on their priority list

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
yo

exdeath was not this hard in the source material

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
We got like, 30 more jobs to master before we can 4 man him.

what do you mean you're not gonna master berserker

master berserker

master it

do it

now

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

Succor's potency numbers don't make sense in a O3S/O4S world, and Fey Union's windup time (movement, 2 second animation, time to mediocre tick) combined with locking out Whispering Dawn is a bit absurd. But hey, Dissipation is fun in progression.
Otherwise, WHM/SCH is ok so far. It's hard to convince myself that we should give WHM/AST a try.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
i'm pretty sure a level 70 white mage with no subjob could solo exdeath/neoexdeath in the source material

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
I don't think you need a massive overhaul to get rid of the class system. Just get rid of the Job stones and bam you're basically done. They can keep the 1-30 content exactly the same and just have the job name change from Thaumaturge to Black Mage when you do the quest (which it already does on the status screen that lists all your job levels). You won't be able to downgrade for the slightly earlier role skill slots, but literally no one cares.

That's not quite the same thing as splitting Scholar and Summoner skills though. I suppose the simplest way to do that would be to make Summoner a job that starts fresh at 30 like the Heavensward classes. You'd need to change the intro quest for that, of course.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 08:53 on Jul 27, 2017

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

So what is the point of Scathe suppose to be? Other than no cooldown and the potential for double damage isn't it better to just keep cycling fire/ice?

Cheap Trick
Jan 4, 2007

I've been levelling as AST, about two-third of the way into Heavensward? Coming up to The Vault. Some random thoughts:

• I really wasn't expecting the end of the 2.x storyline to be that intense, especially coming from WoW where the lore there is more "eh, take it or leave it", at least for me.

• Unlocked MCH and gave it a whirl in PotD, seemed fun but it was hard to tell how effective or lack-thereof the class was since I was hard-carried by the other 3 party members.

• Why didn't Raubahn just cleave Lolorito in twain after he spilled the beans about what really happened with Nanamo? "I only put her in a coma instead of killing her, we cool now right?" just doesn't cut it.

• Can't wait to go into The Vault and smack the smug grins off those holy knights.

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor

Cheap Trick posted:

I've been levelling as AST, about two-third of the way into Heavensward? Coming up to The Vault. Some random thoughts:

• I really wasn't expecting the end of the 2.x storyline to be that intense, especially coming from WoW where the lore there is more "eh, take it or leave it", at least for me.

• Unlocked MCH and gave it a whirl in PotD, seemed fun but it was hard to tell how effective or lack-thereof the class was since I was hard-carried by the other 3 party members.

• Why didn't Raubahn just cleave Lolorito in twain after he spilled the beans about what really happened with Nanamo? "I only put her in a coma instead of killing her, we cool now right?" just doesn't cut it.

• Can't wait to go into The Vault and smack the smug grins off those holy knights.

• I unironically enjoy the main story quest.

• End of the day, the difference between MCH and any other ranged DPS class, unless you are trying to out-race people like Angered is next to nil.

• Because it has already been demonstrated that converting merchants into two half-merchants only makes matters worse. And Raubahn could only work up the wrath to actually murder someone when he thought Nanamo was dead.

• Just remember. A smile better suits a hero.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

So what is the point of Scathe suppose to be? Other than no cooldown and the potential for double damage isn't it better to just keep cycling fire/ice?

It is. Scathe is a strictly inferior spell you're meant to only cast when you're forced to move around, since unlike your actual good poo poo it has no cast time. By the time you're level 70, you'll have so many movement tools - aetherial manipulation, between the lines, triplecast, swiftcast - that you'll pretty much never need to cast it.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

I don't know what class to choose someone help :v: Can the healers and ranged DPS classes solo pretty well? Which damage caster is the most fun?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

I don't know what class to choose someone help :v: Can the healers and ranged DPS classes solo pretty well? Which damage caster is the most fun?

Every class can do their respective solo stuff just fine, don't even worry.

Cheap Trick
Jan 4, 2007

Gearhead posted:

• Because it has already been demonstrated that converting merchants into two half-merchants only makes matters worse. And Raubahn could only work up the wrath to actually murder someone when he thought Nanamo was dead.

Yeah but... but... I wanted to see another villain get their deserved comeuppance! Along with Ilbert and his two traitor bros!

Although keeping your last point in mind, I can accept how the story's progressed the way it has. And if the Heavensward conclusion is even better than the AAR conclusion, whew.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

If you get forced to move for any amount of time you basically Scathe & Pray because it's instant cast and gives you something to do while moving.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
or use swiftcast, or a firestarter/thundercloud proc, or triplecast, or aetherial manipulation, or just slidecast...

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
yeah unless I'm mistaken there's literally no reason to use scathe now. You should always be doing something more important.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Cheap Trick posted:

Yeah but... but... I wanted to see another villain get their deserved comeuppance! Along with Ilbert and his two traitor bros!

Although keeping your last point in mind, I can accept how the story's progressed the way it has. And if the Heavensward conclusion is even better than the AAR conclusion, whew.

Come back to us after you've run Vault.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

I let my niece design my character and now I'm the cattiest catgirl ever. Oh dear.

Going to try out Bard this time, last time I was a Dragoon and didn't really like it too much.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

If you're fairly confident in your skills as a tank or healer, are in-progress queues generally worth it? Based on people's experiences, is being matched with terrible, miserable, depressing players who are struggling to make it through a simple dungeon a common occurrence?

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Not A doctor, THE Doctor!

Jay Rust posted:

If you're fairly confident in your skills as a tank or healer, are in-progress queues generally worth it? Based on people's experiences, is being matched with terrible, miserable, depressing players who are struggling to make it through a simple dungeon a common occurrence?

I think so.

I find that most of the time, its just someone who disconnected and never came back, and you'll finish the dungeon or trial easily anyway.

stabbington
Sep 1, 2007

It doesn't feel right to kill an unarmed man... but I'll get over it.

Jay Rust posted:

I always have the box ticked on my tank classes and can't think of a time where I failed to carry a group to completion. Most of my miserable slogs that I've hated, I've been in since the beginning. The truly lovely people who you don't actually want to be in a group with tend to be gone by the time you queue in as a replacement, in my experience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fakemirage
Nov 6, 2012

Can't see the haters.

Jay Rust posted:

If you're fairly confident in your skills as a tank or healer, are in-progress queues generally worth it?
Is the hero worship worth it?
I've only seen people abandon Trials out of frustration. In normal Dungeon runs that I can recall people dropping out, it has been due to connection or other technical issues, it wasn't because the run was going bad.

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

I let my niece design my character and now I'm the cattiest catgirl ever. Oh dear.
Oh, do share now!