Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

The Colonel posted:

writer on ff16 is the guy who wrote arr and heavensward 3.0 for ff14 so my expectation is something a bit closer to the latter. his stuff had a good amount of humor and mostly just suffered from production and pacing issues in early ff14, even the later arr stuff benefited a lot from recent patches to just make the big sequences land a bit more dramatically

heavensward was pretty melodramatic (in a way i enjoyed, not derogatory) but it also had a part where you go on a trip to dragon land with two people who hate each other and a kid with depression that was one of the best parts of the early game so hopefully ff16 has some fun bits like that
Yup

quote:

Yoshida says that back during the development of HW, Oda and [ARR/HW lead writer] Maehiro told him that they strongly want to recreate the feeling in classic FFs of going on a journey with party members, so they wrote the story of WOL, Alphinaud, Estinien, and Ysayle’s journey as a group of 4. This idea was developed further in ShB.

Maehiro's a treasure too, he makes all those goofy pixel april fools videos

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iR61muYPw5E

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Evil Fluffy posted:

On the upside, with the RS2 remake you can just use the bonus dungeon if you need to train and the current battle rank is too painful. The bonus dungeon floors have hard-locked battle ranks (so you can face end game enemies as soon as you find it, and also get end game loot) and IIRC your battle rank counter isn't increased by any of the fights in there so you could potentially farm it a bunch to get endgame-tier power while the rest of the game is still a much lower battle rank. Plus you'd probably have a ton of end game weapons and armor (including the best sword in the game) in the process of doing so but you'd kinda ruin any challenge. In my playthrough I did one dive to the bottom and dodged my way around the late/end game fights in the deep floors and picked up an endgame axe and a couple of other nice items that were much stronger than my current and subsequent generation provided, but not game-breakingly so.

These fixed Battle Rank floors also means you can always spark techs as long as you know what range of enemies you need to fight for a given move, since some lower tier skills just won't spark against high level enemies from what I remember.

RS3 also has a similar bonus dungeon. In general I dont think its really possible to get stuck in either game, as others have said the ease of screwing yourself over has been overblown over the years

Also I think RS2 is a lot better than RS3. Difficult fights in RS2 felt like a puzzle that you had to solve with the right application of techs and magic. Meanwhile magic sucks in RS3 and I mostly just brute forced everything

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

The Colonel posted:

writer on ff16 is the guy who wrote arr and heavensward 3.0 for ff14 so my expectation is something a bit closer to the latter. his stuff had a good amount of humor and mostly just suffered from production and pacing issues in early ff14, even the later arr stuff benefited a lot from recent patches to just make the big sequences land a bit more dramatically

heavensward was pretty melodramatic (in a way i enjoyed, not derogatory) but it also had a part where you go on a trip to dragon land with two people who hate each other and a kid with depression that was one of the best parts of the early game so hopefully ff16 has some fun bits like that

HW has a bit of a weak through line, but the journey through the churning mists is def one of my favorite FFXIV story beats, so i'm expecting good things now that he's working on a product not being produced under insane crunch conditions

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.
Shining Force CD on the MD Mini 2.

There's one I haven't heard about in a long long time.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."

Vermain posted:

HW has a bit of a weak through line, but the journey through the churning mists is def one of my favorite FFXIV story beats, so i'm expecting good things now that he's working on a product not being produced under insane crunch conditions

I have never been so blown away by am mmo storyline as the little in-between story they did for ARR and HW. So if that kind of energy comes to ff16 I'm all over it.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I'm gonna play a little Disco Elysium for the first time. So I'm fine with missing out on stuff but I'm not really sure how I should distribute my stats to begin the game with? Any advice?

I am going to make so many hosed up decisions.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

RareAcumen posted:

I'm gonna play a little Disco Elysium for the first time. So I'm fine with missing out on stuff but I'm not really sure how I should distribute my stats to begin the game with? Any advice?

go with high stats and low stats, middle across the board is mediocre

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
I would recommend putting your starting stat point into Volition if you don't want things to get too crazy.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

RareAcumen posted:

Pick the stats that sound cool. The only advice I would give you is that you can use health items even after you take damage to reach 0 and to not be afraid to fail.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

RareAcumen posted:

High Savoir Faire is your best bet, Remember there's winners and losers in life every second you aren't winning you're losing. So get out and start grinding, your network is your networth and without a CEO mindset the streets are going to eat you alive.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

RareAcumen posted:

hosed up decisions? Let Electrochemistry take the wheel. Do all the drugs, smoke all the things, drink all the alcohols. Every day’s a bender and your body is a temple to Bacchus, baby.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

Consider a mix of Shivers, Inland Empire, and Empathy if you want to be Dale Cooper.

Some failures contain hidden successes, and/or can have hilarious results, so sometimes it's worth taking a hard roll. A door closes but a window might open, etc. The results of my first failed red check pretty much sold me on the whole game.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I think trying to minmax DE kind of takes some of the fun away. It is one of the extremely rare games where failure isn't a strict punishment.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Yeah my advice would be pick the stats and skills that sound like the person you want to play as.

I did have favorite skills that I will probably pick up every time I play though specifically Shivers and Inland Empire, they enable some cool scenes

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

RareAcumen posted:

The only bit of advice I would really give is that your two HP gauges are determined by Endurance and Volition, meaning that if you set these to 1, you can get OHKOed. This can be annoying early in the game when you don't have very many healing items, and don't have any way to boost those stats yet.

DE isn't really a game where it's a benefit to have a lot of HP but having just 2HP instead of 1HP is a lot nicer for the sake of convenience, especially early.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Bussamove posted:

hosed up decisions? Let Electrochemistry take the wheel. Do all the drugs, smoke all the things, drink all the alcohols. Every day’s a bender and your body is a temple to Bacchus, baby.

Oh no I just mean like I'm going to Inspector Clouseau the entire situation at every opportunity because I'm an idiot.

ImpAtom posted:

I think trying to minmax DE kind of takes some of the fun away. It is one of the extremely rare games where failure isn't a strict punishment.

I understand your point, I'm just asking because I don't wanna pick something useless or end up in a loop where I have to keep retrying a situation hoping the die finally land correctly, or however the game works.

All I know about the game is that you can find your gun, cop car, there's a roundhouse kick in it somewhere, someone's named Measurehead, there's some truck driver that's gonna be racist to Kim, and you can die trying to get your tie off a ceiling fan if you have no vitality or vigor at the beginning of the game.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Probably worth noting you can pop a health kit if your health goes below 1 before you die

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

RareAcumen posted:

I understand your point, I'm just asking because I don't wanna pick something useless or end up in a loop where I have to keep retrying a situation hoping the die finally land correctly, or however the game works.

Just keeping in mind that you're a detective, things that "sound useful" are likely to be useful, assuming solving mysteries is what you are planning to do and not do lots and lots of amphetamines.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The game has failsafes for everything to ensure progression no matter skill array. You can botch the final interrogation and the game will effectively throw its hands up and say "gently caress it you pass, lets move on".

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Just keeping in mind that you're a detective, things that "sound useful" are likely to be useful, assuming solving mysteries is what you are planning to do and not do lots and lots of amphetamines.

to be clear you can also do both of these things

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Junpei posted:

I would recommend putting your starting stat point into Volition if you don't want things to get too crazy.

Feels Villeneuve posted:

The only bit of advice I would really give is that your two HP gauges are determined by Endurance and Volition, meaning that if you set these to 1, you can get OHKOed. This can be annoying early in the game when you don't have very many healing items, and don't have any way to boost those stats yet.

DE isn't really a game where it's a benefit to have a lot of HP but having just 2HP instead of 1HP is a lot nicer for the sake of convenience, especially early.

This is honestly the part I was thinking about, I didn't even consider the other named stats, just like, skillpoints at the beginning of the game to minimize any potential early game tedium before I'm able to start getting better at surviving and understand what the hell I should be doing.

Anyway, thank you everybody, I'm putting that point into Volition!

4 Intellect
1 Psyche
4 Physique
3 Motorics

RareAcumen fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Jun 4, 2022

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Kingtheninja posted:

I have never been so blown away by am mmo storyline as the little in-between story they did for ARR and HW. So if that kind of energy comes to ff16 I'm all over it.

2.3 and 2.4 were ishikawa so depending on what parts about it wowed you it may not quite hit those notes. though i liked all of it

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

RareAcumen posted:

As everyone already said, just grab whatever sounds fun. Disco Elysium is a game overflowing with wild interactions and decisions made by a character who is the personification of “goblin mode”. A few hosed up decisions will barely make a blip.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Ragequit posted:

As everyone already said, just grab whatever sounds fun. Disco Elysium is a game overflowing with wild interactions and decisions made by a character who is the personification of “goblin mode”. A few hosed up decisions will barely make a blip.

Yeah I'm already past that, I started the game got lost in the world trying to figure out what if anything I could do to progress the story and just got the body off the tree with two gunshots.

This game is a lot, constantly, and I see why people need to take breaks in playing it now. Hoo boy.

Wish it had a way to replay dialogue though.

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012
The only thing to really watch out for from a gameplay standpoint is that doing the poo poo that would obviously kill you or otherwise ruin you will, in fact, do that. Other than that, you can gently caress around plenty as long as you have the healing for it.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
holy poo poo Crystal Project is fun as gently caress so far and I'm not even outta the demo

do see why people complained about fast travel though - even if what I really want is a world map to remember which region's where

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

How is the build customization/ combat in crystal project? I like the concept but if the main draw is exploration and the combat is bland (I think menu based jrpg combat tends to be bland, though it can sometimes be very good), I’ll probably pass.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Junpei posted:

on the other hand getting a game over because you cant get your incredibly ugly tie off a fan is extremely funny

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

DACK FAYDEN posted:

holy poo poo Crystal Project is fun as gently caress so far and I'm not even outta the demo

do see why people complained about fast travel though - even if what I really want is a world map to remember which region's where

you get a world map early on. also if you see a shrine be sure to buy the stone from them, it will teleport you there for free.

Heithinn Grasida posted:

How is the build customization/ combat in crystal project? I like the concept but if the main draw is exploration and the combat is bland (I think menu based jrpg combat tends to be bland, though it can sometimes be very good), I’ll probably pass.

its a job based system with a main job, a subjob, and you can equip passives. so plenty of customization. As for the combat, its pretty good. Main thing about it is that you almost always have perfect information. You can see the turn order, but you can also see exactly how much dmg your attack will do, chance to hit, who the enemies are going to attack, how much damage they will do, you can even look at the threat levels. So the combat is more about being proactive and disrupting the enemies as much as possible than just sitting there doing damage and occasionally healing

another cool thing about the battle system is that status effects are always 100% effective, even against bosses

babypolis fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Jun 4, 2022

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

babypolis posted:

you get a world map early on. also if you see a shrine be sure to buy the stone from them, it will teleport you there for free.
yeah idk how early early is, cause I must have missed it - I'm at the first "main" city, have five crystals, no mount yet, and did buy a stone for the gaia shrine
edit: yess not only did I get a quintar pass but I got a quintar flute hell yeah motherfucker

DACK FAYDEN fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Jun 4, 2022

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Heithinn Grasida posted:

I'm sure there is a "best" build in the game, but there are plenty of viable builds/party comps. As I mentioned, there were only a handful of real dud classes, and some bosses, especially endgame ones, will likely require you to change your jobs around to adapt to them and their tactics. One of the common complaints was that the "random" fights (not actually random since you can dodge them on the overworld if you want) required too many tactics for most people's liking, but they're sort of a puzzle in figuring out what composition will efficiently clear out the groups for a given dungeon, and then what composition will let you beat the boss of that dungeon (and occasionally these groups have to be the same group).

As babyopolis also mentioned, you do have perfect information on the enemies, down to knowing exactly what attack your enemy will do and to who, although it takes a while to figure out how to access this info since the UI isn't great in that regard. I think the bosses generally have a pattern, so once you know what it is and what you have to do to survive that rotation while trying to kill the boss before you run out of resources (MP is likeliest).

But like I said, there's a lot of flexibility in the jobs and party compositions that you don't necessarily have to be min-maxxy to beat the boss, except maybe some of the endgame bosses (Spirit Cage :argh:).

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Just finished Stella Glow ng+ and got the good ending.

2 thoughts come to mind:

1. well this new twist came out of absolutely nowhere
2. I accidentally cheesed the final boss. I think it was trying to charge up some kind of move that I assume would have either killed me or at least done a lot of damage but the final boss wasn't immune to delay status effects so I was able to just repeatedly and infinitely delay the final boss's turn until they were dead.

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

I downloaded the demo for crystal project and it seems really good — amazing, in fact, for a single developer.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

I did run out of steam on Crystal Project after a while, if I had to guess based on the rough level gating (as much as the game has any), probably about halfway through or a little more. I think I need a bit more story or direction than the game gives, but if you enjoy just exploring a world and messing with new mechanics and systems throughout an RPG, it's hard to think of another game that does it better. I'm used to games with that kind of FF5-inspired job system to give you maybe 6-10 unique and interesting jobs, and then kind of run out of steam or dip deep into gimmicks, and this one really doesn't. I used every job I had gotten up to the point where I stopped, and I'm not even sure I got to some of the more unique jobs. There's lots of room for synergy and interesting job strategies, and yeah some bosses really demand some job experimentation.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

I got stuck at one point in the demo for Crystal Project and couldn't figure out where to go to progress, then got distracted by another game. But the demo seems fun from what I've played and I'll give it another look at some point.

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

"Yeh've forged a magnificent sword."

"This one's only practice. The real sword I intend to forge will be three times longer."

"Can there really be a sword as monstrous as that in this world?"

"Yes. I can see that sword... Somewhere out there..."

Heithinn Grasida posted:

There's been some praise for Crystal Project's variety of options, so the one caveat: if you're on Hard, you're going to become very, very familiar with Rogue and Shaman. Rogue's Blind is incredibly powerful against physical bosses, especially with the game's perfect information, and you need some source of Sleep to cut random encounters down to something more manageable. Sleep shows up elsewhere, but Rogue is one of two classes with Blind, and Rogue is the only one that can do it more than once a fight. (And the other class is basically an endgame thing, because the Summoner fights are not easy.)

Meanwhile, Shaman is the only source of attack debuffing and one of two sources of magic debuffing for a long time. Even later on, Assassin is the only other class with both damage debuffs, and it's one of the easier ones to miss. (Or you could put Protect and Shell up on everyone all the time, but that's not very practical in a game where they wear off. The Warlock's Doublecast only goes so far, especially now that the cost of that got increased in a patch.)

Since Hard expects you to make use of disabling and debuffing effects, the relative rarity of those effects is a weird blind spot in the balance. It's basically my one complaint with the fights.

FirstAidKite posted:

Just finished Stella Glow ng+ and got the good ending.

2 thoughts come to mind:

1. well this new twist came out of absolutely nowhere
2. I accidentally cheesed the final boss. I think it was trying to charge up some kind of move that I assume would have either killed me or at least done a lot of damage but the final boss wasn't immune to delay status effects so I was able to just repeatedly and infinitely delay the final boss's turn until they were dead.

Yep, that's what makes Nonoka one of the strongest characters: Control Condition makes delay 100% effective and nothing's immune to it. She can utterly destroy bosses.

zzMisc
Jun 26, 2002

Does anyone here know if there a place to go for info on good RPG Maker games, or can suggest any? My portable specifically has a section for it and I'm not sure what to throw in there. My understanding is they're mostly crap so I'm curious what some of the 'good ones' might be.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

I don't remember who it was but in this very thread not a month ago a list of 100 rpg maker games worth checking out was posted

I'm sure someone remembers better than me and can link it

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Einander posted:

Since Hard expects you to make use of disabling and debuffing effects, the relative rarity of those effects is a weird blind spot in the balance. It's basically my one complaint with the fights.

I noticed that the description of Hard says it expects you to grind, which immediately put me off. Can you confirm/deny that?

Like, I enjoy a challenge but my idea of a challenge does not include walking back and forth fighting the same enemies for an hour.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

zzMisc posted:

Does anyone here know if there a place to go for info on good RPG Maker games, or can suggest any? My portable specifically has a section for it and I'm not sure what to throw in there. My understanding is they're mostly crap so I'm curious what some of the 'good ones' might be.

Big post but I found the quotes

avoraciopoctules posted:

Cool! I'm gonna do this in chunks of 20, since today's a work day for me. I'll start with 20 free games I have finished and recommend to others. No dedicated horror games, though there's definitely some ominous happenings in a few of them.

1. Lonely Wolf Treat: https://nomnomnami.itch.io/lonely-wolf-treat
2. Friendly Bunny Mochi: https://nomnomnami.itch.io/friendly-bunny-mochi
3. Clever Fox Moxie: https://nomnomnami.itch.io/clever-fox-moxie
4. Wandering Wolf Trick: https://nomnomnami.itch.io/wandering-wolf-trick
5. Dreaming Treat: https://nomnomnami.itch.io/dreaming-treat
6. Mochi in Frosting: https://nomnomnami.itch.io/mochi-in-frosting
7. A Very Long Rope to the Top of the Sky: https://rpgmaker.net/games/5762/
8. Born Under The Rain: https://rpgmaker.net/games/7360/
9. The Heart Pumps Clay: https://rpgmaker.net/games/6541/
10. The Grumpy Knight (and the crisis in Helena's Kingdom): https://rpgmaker.net/games/4844/
11. Dead Moon Night: https://rpgmaker.net/games/4536/
12. Sunken Spire: https://rpgmaker.net/games/6475/
13. Dweller's Empty Path: https://tuyoki.itch.io/dwellers-empty-path
14. Star's Favor: https://rpgmaker.net/games/8519/
15. Dhux's Scar: https://rpgmaker.net/games/1492/
16. Exit Fate: https://site.scfworks.com/?page_id=10
17. Weird and Unfortunate Things are Happening: https://rpgmaker.net/games/8394/
18. Tales of the Drunken Paladin: https://www.drunkenpaladin.com/
19. Space Funeral: https://thecatamites.itch.io/space-funeral
20. Megaman Sprite Game: https://megamanspritecomic.tumblr.com/post/65735240451/megaman-sprite-game-released-on-october-31st

Feel free to ask me about any of these. Most, I have not played in a while, but I can definitely give my impressions on them. All are games I would be willing to replay.

Tales of the Drunken Paladin, number 18 on my list. I think they might have eventually patched in a character who could use the previously useless weapons, but it was a pretty good joke.

avoraciopoctules posted:

Cool! I'm gonna do this in chunks of 20, since today's a work day for me. I'll start with 20 free games I have finished and recommend to others. No dedicated horror games, though there's definitely some ominous happenings in a few of them.

1. Lonely Wolf Treat: https://nomnomnami.itch.io/lonely-wolf-treat
2. Friendly Bunny Mochi: https://nomnomnami.itch.io/friendly-bunny-mochi
3. Clever Fox Moxie: https://nomnomnami.itch.io/clever-fox-moxie
4. Wandering Wolf Trick: https://nomnomnami.itch.io/wandering-wolf-trick
5. Dreaming Treat: https://nomnomnami.itch.io/dreaming-treat
6. Mochi in Frosting: https://nomnomnami.itch.io/mochi-in-frosting
7. A Very Long Rope to the Top of the Sky: https://rpgmaker.net/games/5762/
8. Born Under The Rain: https://rpgmaker.net/games/7360/
9. The Heart Pumps Clay: https://rpgmaker.net/games/6541/
10. The Grumpy Knight (and the crisis in Helena's Kingdom): https://rpgmaker.net/games/4844/
11. Dead Moon Night: https://rpgmaker.net/games/4536/
12. Sunken Spire: https://rpgmaker.net/games/6475/
13. Dweller's Empty Path: https://tuyoki.itch.io/dwellers-empty-path
14. Star's Favor: https://rpgmaker.net/games/8519/
15. Dhux's Scar: https://rpgmaker.net/games/1492/
16. Exit Fate: https://site.scfworks.com/?page_id=10
17. Weird and Unfortunate Things are Happening: https://rpgmaker.net/games/8394/
18. Tales of the Drunken Paladin: https://www.drunkenpaladin.com/
19. Space Funeral: https://thecatamites.itch.io/space-funeral
20. Megaman Sprite Game: https://megamanspritecomic.tumblr.com/post/65735240451/megaman-sprite-game-released-on-october-31st

Feel free to ask me about any of these. Most, I have not played in a while, but I can definitely give my impressions on them. All are games I would be willing to replay.

Tales of the Drunken Paladin, number 18 on my list. I think they might have eventually patched in a character who could use the previously useless weapons, but it was a pretty good joke.

avoraciopoctules posted:

Alright! Work+dinner is through, time for another block of recommendations. The gimmick this time is that I have not played yet (or just tried them out a bit), but they are acclaimed in the community and are on my games to play list. Generally, I am looking for something newish, free, that won at least one Misao/site feature, and has at least one thing in the pitch that stands out and makes me want to give it a try. Like with the last chunk, I'm avoiding horror games and stuff from vgperson's website.

21. Errevale Fall: https://rpgmaker.net/games/11922/
22. Fateless Two, Faithless Thee: https://rpgmaker.net/games/12126/
23. I Vanquished the Empire as a Kid and Now the Economy is Crap: https://rpgmaker.net/games/10941/
24. Beetle Ninja: https://rpgmaker.net/games/11443/
25. Theia: The Crimson Eclipse: https://rpgmaker.net/games/8562/
26. Grimm's Hollow: https://rpgmaker.net/games/11228/
27. Villnoire: https://rpgmaker.net/games/406/
28. Abyssal of the Opera: https://rpgmaker.net/games/11035/
29. In Search of Clues: https://rpgmaker.net/games/4433/
30. In Search of Immortality: https://rpgmaker.net/games/5132/
31. Avarice: https://rpgmaker.net/games/1722/
32. Soma Union: https://rpgmaker.net/games/11285/
33. Luxaren Allure: https://rpgmaker.net/games/5854/
34. D is for Dungeon: https://rpgmaker.net/games/6550/
35. Enelysion: https://rpgmaker.net/games/2985/ (maybe https://luchi.itch.io/enelysion is more current)
36. Abyssal Shine: Nevermelt: https://rpgmaker.net/games/10176/
37. Journey to the East: https://rpgmaker.net/games/10201/
38. Axial Disk 1: https://rpgmaker.net/games/12057/
39. Seek Magician: https://moss-salamander.itch.io/seek-magician
40. The Maid of Fairewell Heights: https://rpgmaker.net/games/9390/

I remember downloading Spirit Engine wayyyy back in the day, around the same time I played Iji and An Untitled Story. It looked pretty cool, but I got so pulled into Iji that I never really gave Spirit Engine a fair shot. Thanks for the reminder, would definitely have put it on this list if it was RPGM. Maybe I should try Spirit Engine again...

avoraciopoctules posted:

RPGM Recommendations 41-60

This time, I am going to be recommending paid RPG Maker games. There are some very cool games out there, I recommend seriously considering them! Some have free demo versions available elsewhere on the internet, some do not. Will still be avoiding horror games.

41. The Amber Throne: https://store.steampowered.com/app/382380/The_Amber_Throne/
42. Tiranogg: https://luchi.itch.io/tiranogg
43. Echoes of Aetheria: https://store.steampowered.com/app/354740/Echoes_of_Aetheria/
44. Skyborn: https://store.steampowered.com/app/278460/Skyborn/
45. Desecration of Wings (censored version): https://store.steampowered.com/app/793450/Desecration_of_Wings/
46. Ara Fell: https://store.steampowered.com/app/440540/Ara_Fell_Enhanced_Edition/
47. Rise of the Third Power: https://store.steampowered.com/app/698700/Rise_of_the_Third_Power/
48. Omori: https://store.steampowered.com/app/1150690/OMORI/
49. LiEat: https://store.steampowered.com/app/373770/LiEat/
50. Vestaria Saga I: War of the Scions: https://store.steampowered.com/app/694770/Vestaria_Saga_I_War_of_the_Scions/
51. Helen's Mysterious Castle: https://store.steampowered.com/app/418190/Helens_Mysterious_Castle/
52. Imposter Factory: https://store.steampowered.com/app/1182620/Impostor_Factory/
53. Hylics: https://store.steampowered.com/app/397740/Hylics/
54. The Lost Art of Innkeeping: https://seaphoenix.itch.io/lostart
55. Knight Bewitched: Enhanced Edition: https://joshua-keith.itch.io/knight-bewitched
56. Sorbetta: Gravely in Debt: https://uap.itch.io/sorbetta-gravely-in-debt
57. ECHORIA: Ancient Echoes: https://adammms.itch.io/echoria-ancient-echoes
58. I Have Low Stats But My Class Is "Leader", So I Recruited Everyone I Know To Fight The Dark Lord: https://cannibalinteractive.itch.io/i-have-low-stats-but-my-class-is-leader-so-i-recruited-everyone-i-know
59. Celestial Hearts: https://joshua-keith.itch.io/celestial-hearts ( https://store.steampowered.com/app/1434350/Celestial_Hearts/ )
60. Labyrinthine Dreams: https://store.steampowered.com/app/278570/Labyrinthine_Dreams/

I did count SRPG maker for one game, but I did not count Kemco stuff or the Zeboyd Games engines. Was going to include this, but then I realized they used a different engine: https://rpgmaker.net/games/7520/
When I ran out of Steam stuff and started to look around in Itch, I noticed multiple games were already included in the racial equality and Ukraine bundles. If you got one of those, make sure to double check before buying a new itch indie game.

avoraciopoctules posted:

Alright, for our 4th chunk it seems about time to start looking into RPG Maker horror games. These are probably the highest profile of the lot, and also where I am going to be the most picky. I tend to avoid games that seem likely to revel in gruesome violence or be a huge bummerfest. Jimmy and the Pulsating Mass and Omori are amazing, impressive games, but I don't particularly want to actually play them. I'm going to leave out anything if I played it and remember it being particularly gruesome or if I see obvious warnings in the description/reviews. If you asked someone else for 20 horror recommendations, you would probably get a significantly different list. What do I like? Exploring creepy eldritch worlds is always fun. I'm going to lead with a significant portion of Horror-Style Exploration games on vgperson's website. However, I'm going to avoid ones tagged Gory or Discretion Highly Advised. Some of these are made with WOLF RPG Editor or Smile Game Builder, which I count as RPG Makers.

61. Ib: https://www.vgperson.com/games/ib.htm
62. The Witch's House: https://www.vgperson.com/games/witchhouse.htm
63. The Crooked Man: https://www.vgperson.com/games/crookedman.htm
64. Paranoiac: https://www.vgperson.com/games/paranoiac.htm
65. Hello? Hell... o?: https://www.vgperson.com/games/hellohello.htm
66. Bevel's Painting: https://www.vgperson.com/games/bevelspainting.htm
67. Alice mare: https://www.vgperson.com/games/alicemare.htm
68. Liar Jeannie in Crucifix Kingdom: https://www.vgperson.com/games/liarjeannie.htm
69. Nightmare of The Snow: https://rpgmaker.net/games/5475/
70. Whispering Dream: https://memonote.itch.io/whisperingdream
71. Fausts Alptraum: https://store.steampowered.com/app/574740/Fausts_Alptraum/
72. Stray Cat Crossing: https://store.steampowered.com/app/385330/Stray_Cat_Crossing/
73. Aria's Story: https://rpgmaker.net/games/8145/
74. .flow: https://yumenikkifg.fandom.com/wiki/.flow
75. Dreaming Mary: https://rpgmaker.net/games/6232/
76. Desert Nightmare (English Translation): https://rpgmaker.net/games/917/
77. Ayumi: Enhanced Edition: https://rpgmaker.net/games/10492/
78. Ann: https://store.steampowered.com/app/1511270/Ann/
79. Coffin of Ashes: https://store.steampowered.com/app/546080/Coffin_of_Ashes/
80. Hello Charlotte EP1: Junk Food, Gods and Teddy Bears: https://etherane.itch.io/hello-charlotte-ep1

If you feel like doing a little more delving in this area, this URL might help:
https://rpgmaker.net/games/?name_filter=&engine=&status=3&tag=HOR&rating=8&download=yes&commercial=&sort=-total_downloads&portal=None

This is a filtered search on RMN, looking for [completed] games tagged with Horror, with a download available and with a minimum user rating of 4. They're sorted from most downloads to least downloads, with Dreaming Mary solidly in the lead. Alternatively, here's a tag search on Itch: https://itch.io/games/tag-horror/tag-rpgmaker

I haven't found a good way to filter the porn games out running searching on Steam's website. It might be possible to filter out tags with an advanced search, I'll look probably look into that tomorrow.

avoraciopoctules posted:

Alright, time for the last 20 of 100 RPG maker recommendations. I figured out how exclude stuff by tags. If you look at the Narrow By Tag box in the column of filter options on the right hand side of the search page on Steam, you have a list of tags. There's a checkbox on the left of the tag to filter for it... and if you look to the right, there's also a minus box you can click in order to exclude it. You can also sorta exclude a lot of the porn games if you filter results by top rated instead of "top sellers" or "what's popular". Still possible I missed something weeding out the stuff that looked problematic or mediocre, though. A couple of these look like horror games that could potentially end up pretty gruesome, and most of them are games I haven't had the time to try.

81. drowning, drowning: https://nomnomnami.itch.io/drowning-drowning
82. Symbiosis: https://puchidesign.itch.io/symbiosis
83. Edolie: https://store.steampowered.com/app/349240/Edolie/
84. Last Word: https://store.steampowered.com/app/355530/Last_Word/
85. Wolf & Rabbit: https://store.steampowered.com/app/757180/Wolf__Rabbit/
86. A Bird Story: https://store.steampowered.com/app/327410/A_Bird_Story/
87. Trick & Treat: https://store.steampowered.com/app/497640/Trick__Treat/
88. TinkerQuarry: https://hallowraith.itch.io/tinkerquarry
89. Midnight Train: https://lyd1a.itch.io/midnight-train
90. Rakuen: https://store.steampowered.com/app/559210/Rakuen/
91. Eternal Senia: https://store.steampowered.com/app/351640/Eternal_Senia/
92. Tales of the Black Forest: https://store.steampowered.com/app/1093910/Tales_of_the_Black_Forest/
93. Doom & Destiny: https://store.steampowered.com/app/318130/Doom__Destiny/
94. Noel the Mortal Fate S1-7: https://store.steampowered.com/app/850000/Noel_the_Mortal_Fate_S17/
95. The Shell of Permafrost: https://store.steampowered.com/app/976940/_The_Shell_of_Permafrost/
96. Hero and Daughter+: https://store.steampowered.com/app/271970/Hero_and_Daughter/
97. The King's Request: Physiology and Anatomy Revision Game: https://store.steampowered.com/app/873230/The_Kings_Request_Physiology_and_Anatomy_Revision_Game/
98. Dungeon Dreams: https://store.steampowered.com/app/1010670/Dungeon_Dreams/
99. Ceress and Orea: https://store.steampowered.com/app/820900/Ceress_and_Orea/
100. Wolf's Gang: https://store.steampowered.com/app/1390380/Wolfs_Gang/