Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Dusty Lens posted:

AFAIK it's pretty much a "put your fish into a temporary tank and then drain/sterilize/remove all of the big rocks/sand/everything your primary tank" type scenario.

You cannot defeat the bobbit worm without digging into your favorite quotes from Aliens.
Bobbit: There And Back Again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Dooguk posted:

The moons are tiny, but are made to appear further away and larger with visual effects. Would they even have atmospheres if they are that small?

In Star Citizen, anything can have any amount of atmosphere because there are no rules.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

Daztek posted:

I liked this bit

Which one is it, Charlie!!!

I’m beginning to understand we’re in an endless meme-spin cycle of “Star Citizen is good” / “Star Citizen is bad.”

And how the game with the confusing, cluttered U.I., the featureless moons with disorienting navigational cues, and the frustrating and punishably unfun flight model after five years of work is somehow leap-frogging Elite by providing a seamlessly miserable experience.

Scruffpuff posted:

You know, though, there doesn't even need to be a right side/wrong side argument. The simple equation "Chris Roberts = Failed Project" was the only universal constant during this entire debacle. From that building block came the bad design, scope creep, excessive expenditures, cart-before-the-horse development, contractual violations, and all the other things that have become hallmarks of Star Citizen.

No force can contradict "Chris Roberts = Failed Project". Derek Smart is completely impotent against it, as is Ortwin, Sandi, Erin, Goons, Reddit, the gaming media - all of it, the phantom wars fought in comments sections, the photoshops, the YouTube videos, the "arguments" fought amongst those who believe that somehow words on a computer screen can possibly overcome the fundamental equation.

I think there are two types of wrong — one is the moral/ethical and the other is practical/technical/managerial. I do agree that through the latter lens, yes, it all comes down to Chris. His autocratic grip over every element of the project including spokesmanship means he really will own all of the blame as reward. He was paradoxically the fuel for the company’s historic fundraising and publicity successes yet he was also the built-in existential undoing.

On the moral wrongs, I do think there’s a right side, too. The sad thing is the time for making the moral arguments against unethical marketing practices, the moral arguments for greater accountability and transparency, the condemnations against nepotism, fraudulent enrichment, and the rest is always NOW, yet most refuse. They’ll just wait it out, and when the eventual calamity finally besets, only then will they stand up on “the right side” and join the indignation armies and recrimination brigades. There’s hardly much good that can be done at that point because it’s really just an exhaustive auditing effort of the awfulness at that point. People who didn’t want to try to slow down a runaway Hype train as it barreled down the tracks will just wait for the crash then buy their tickets to gawk at Roberts smouldering ruin on the Hate train just arriving; the one that goes in a circular track around the wreckage for a generation.

quote:

None of it matters. Chris Roberts' inability is a fundamental force of the universe, like gravity, which is another force he doesn't understand.

The only good to come out of Star Citizen was the humor, and it's a good thing we've been here to harvest it, because all that's left after the humor has been stripmined will be tears.
Thank goodness this has proven as funny as the Sierra Nevada goldfields were fertile — the laugh nuggets are still glistening everywhere.

nnnotime
Sep 30, 2001

Hesitate, and you will be lost.

TheAgent posted:

Total in 2013: $28,446,117
Total in 2014: $32,933,205 (14% bump from previous year)
Total in 2015: $35,961,202 (8.5% bump from previous year)
Total in 2016: $36,100,538 (.4% bump from previous year)
Total in 2017 (three days of funding remain): $34,592,496 (4.2% drop from previous year)

this will be the first year star citizen hasn't grown in funding
But even with a 4% drop that's still a lot of money that's coming in (if sources are accurate).

With all the FUD I would have expected funding to drop more than 15%, so CRobert's brand recognition and strength does not appear completely tarnished, despite his incompetence.

However I assume 2018 will be a make-or-break year with all the upcoming events. And Dr. Smart has not revealed all his cards, yet.

nnnotime
Sep 30, 2001

Hesitate, and you will be lost.

Dusty Lens posted:

AFAIK it's pretty much a "put your fish into a temporary tank and then drain/sterilize/remove all of the big rocks/sand/everything your primary tank" type scenario.

You cannot defeat the bobbit worm without digging into your favorite quotes from Aliens.
Ironic you mention Aliens: I believe the film Prometheus even had it's own manifestation of the bobbit worm, though the homage was probably unintentional.

Edit: The Hammerpede: http://avp.wikia.com/wiki/Hammerpede

nnnotime fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Dec 29, 2017

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Every year is a make-or-break year. The thing is, having already reached deep into the bag and tried to sell plots of land and tanks, it's unclear just what else CIG can come up with to fleece backers with.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Alchenar posted:

Every year is a make-or-break year. The thing is, having already reached deep into the bag and tried to sell plots of land and tanks, it's unclear just what else CIG can come up with to fleece backers with.

Boats

Submarines

Airplanes

Bicycles

Skateboards

overseer07
Mar 30, 2003
Pillbug

Talez posted:

3000AD, rear end in a top hat.

D_Smart posted:

OK, I'll bite, then block.

The game was Battlecruiser 3000AD

I didn't release it. Take Two did.

So much for your epic burn. Clearly you're not the Chosen One.

Wow, way to catch him on that technicality of who delivered your box of poo poo, genius. It's still a box of poo poo.

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

Verily the box is full of poo poo, but if there was no box could it be full of poo poo?

I feel that sometimes we are too quick to point fingers.

Dogeh
Aug 30, 2017

ShitMeter: -------------|- 99%

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Without any knowledge at all of any continuing relationship between Crytek and Amazon, it kinda feels intuitively likely that Amazon would care more about keeping Crytek on side rather than what happens to CIG.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard
Test Squadron: Help! Derek Smart is attacking me on twitter! :D

notoriousman
Nov 18, 2007

I'M AWARE I'M
AN IDIOT
New Kids on the Block (List)

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

spacetoaster posted:

What show is that?

Also, if any of you like cool RPG's divinity 2 ain't bad.

Quill posted:

The show is Blackadder and Divinity 2 is goddamn excellent.

Specifically, it's Blackadder Goes Forth, which is the fourth and final season. You should immediately stop whatever you are doing, including CPR on a loved one, and watch every season. Yes, including the first, because who wants to miss a chance to see Brian Blessed doing Brian Blessed stuff?

monkeytek
Jun 8, 2010

It wasn't an ELE that wiped out the backer funds. It was Tristan Timothy Taylor.

"off court" is this some sort of basketball/law super court thing where Bezo's lawyers posterize Skadden with a monster dunk thus getting the case dismissed before overtime?

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

we were already alerted to this since the most up their own rear end man in the entire universe told about his google alerts

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

I'm excited for people swearing off ever shopping on Amazon again after it turns out that CIG is not holding them hostage somehow.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

monkeytek posted:

"off court" is this some sort of basketball/law super court thing where Bezo's lawyers posterize Skadden with a monster dunk thus getting the case dismissed before overtime?

They've got precedent for this in Shirts v. Skins.

Dogeh
Aug 30, 2017

ShitMeter: -------------|- 99%

Dusty Lens posted:

I'm excited for people swearing off ever shopping on Amazon again after it turns out that CIG is not holding them hostage somehow.

Amazon aren't doing too well in stocks today because The Donald tweeted about USPS costs.
Star Citizen may have issues now, if Amazon can't kill CryTek dead like the backers think will happen.

intardnation
Feb 18, 2016

I'm going to space!

:gary: :yarg:
Bobbit:Coutts the funding tracker

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

i don't think you can do that without a head either

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Dewgy posted:

They've got precedent for this in Shirts v. Skins.

Your honor, if it pleases the court, we would like to file a motion to have Ben Lesnick, Developer on the 'Shirts' team.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

it would please the court to not have him walk on it

intardnation
Feb 18, 2016

I'm going to space!

:gary: :yarg:
space court is now in session:

Christ Roberts will now be sworn in.

Vampire - does he need to be sworn in your honor - he wrote the script?
Skadden killer - he needs to be on space record.

swear him in

Please bring up the script for Sq42.

Do you plan to mumble, hand wave, talk poo poo and spittle.

Yes fdkjklafhsfhkjaf yor hon wave wave er.

Valcione
Sep 12, 2007
For All Brave Silpheed Pilots

Foo Diddley posted:

It was targeted at the Escapist but accused them of colluding with Derek and spent a lot of time on him as well. They had also refunded him unilaterally and Ortwin sent a bogus legal threat around the same time

It's actually... oh God. Oh Jesus

it's all in the July blog :cripes:

Posting from 10 pages back. I've lurked in this thread for years now, following the drama, and I've gotten a lot of hilarity out of all of it. But this post, this one right here...

This made me laugh the most. Thank you, and may God have mercy on your soul.

Preen Dog
Nov 8, 2017

Alchenar posted:

Android soldiers to protect your stuff while you poo. Also, mech suits, new ships, special weapons, insurances or anything else that gives an unfair advantage and can be shoehorned into 3.0 (Raven EMP, lol). They will also continue selling game mechanics that are impossible to implement, but conveniently far enough in the future that they can keep pushing it back. They will also sell Javelins and Idrises because, after all this time, they must be getting close to completion, right...?

Would've added prefab ground structures and turrets, but those would require a server to actually stay up for more than a day at a time.

The only limit is your imagination.

edit: Instead of prefab structures, they will sell access to existing buildings. For example, if you want to spawn in Levski, you can rent a wankpod there. This can be done in 3.0 with minor code changes, and will be how players set their default home.

Preen Dog fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Dec 29, 2017

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

One hundred years from now when all is said and done and we've all passed on...a copy of the July blog will resurface. A budding blogger who is learned in internet history knows what it is but also knows what it can unleash.

He chooses the path of light, and tells some poor schmuck to travel a few thousand miles to toss it into a volcano.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

G0RF posted:

On the moral wrongs, I do think there’s a right side, too. The sad thing is the time for making the moral arguments against unethical marketing practices, the moral arguments for greater accountability and transparency, the condemnations against nepotism, fraudulent enrichment, and the rest is always NOW, yet most refuse. They’ll just wait it out, and when the eventual calamity finally besets, only then will they stand up on “the right side” and join the indignation armies and recrimination brigades. There’s hardly much good that can be done at that point because it’s really just an exhaustive auditing effort of the awfulness at that point. People who didn’t want to try to slow down a runaway Hype train as it barreled down the tracks will just wait for the crash then buy their tickets to gawk at Roberts smouldering ruin on the Hate train just arriving; the one that goes in a circular track around the wreckage for a generation.

I agree on the moral front; the essence of my point is the uselessness of the argument to begin with. Whoever "Charlie Hall" is, on his/her best day, successfully doxxing a refunder and getting German hit squads deployed to their house, while releasing the most gushing pro-SC article ever written, which then earns a Pulitzer prize, will not move the needle even one atom closer to Star Citizen succeeding. This whole event reveals how self-important people are when they see something they perceive as a "debate" - they just have to hop in, as if their sub-moronic Reddit rant somehow translates directly into properly written netcode at CIG headquarters, or their "Why Star Citizen is GREAT" YouTube video automatically creates design documents 5 years in the past when they were reasonably due.

That argument is raging everywhere, and it's engaged in almost exclusively by non-entities.

I do enjoy the SA humor approach, the photoshops, and the brilliant deconstructions and discussions I've seen on these pages the past few years. I've learned more from you and all the other posters in this thread than I'd ever learn at a fail-factory like CIG.

So to circle back around to the moral front - CIG has been ethical scum from almost the very beginning. We already know how this ends - exactly as you said. Media articles will be divided between "How could anyone have seen this coming?" and "We suspected this all along" both of which are ridiculous stances to take - but the safe, cowardly ones nonetheless.

Nicholas
Mar 7, 2001

Were those not fine days, when we drank of clear honey, and spoke in calm tones of our love for the stuff?
the only moral refund is my refund

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

my refund was completely immoral but that only makes it hotter

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

TheAgent posted:

Total in 2013: $28,446,117
Total in 2014: $32,933,205 (14% bump from previous year)
Total in 2015: $35,961,202 (8.5% bump from previous year)
Total in 2016: $36,100,538 (.4% bump from previous year)
Total in 2017 (three days of funding remain): $34,592,496 (4.2% drop from previous year)

this will be the first year star citizen hasn't grown in funding

Well, now that you've mentioned it, they're going to have two $1M spikes by 12/31. I am still laughing about the two from the first week of the month. They're not even hiding it anymore.

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

bbchops
Jul 26, 2001

Ho ho ho! I'll have the same again!
Nap Ghost

G0RF posted:

But let’s say that that you want to go to the moon Cellin, and it’s on the other side of Crusader from you. You obviously can’t fly a straight line from Port Olisar to Cellin without crashing into Crusader.

Also, since the game is nowhere near finished, Crusader hasn’t actually been built yet.

Instead, you have to travel between a series of navigational beacons that sit in high orbit around Crusader. Once you move to the right beacon, the planet is no longer in the way, and you’ll be able to plot a straight line to Cellin.

Wait, what? Is there an invisible planet you have to navigate around? It is just on the space sky box? Is there a magic "planet TBA" exclusion zone? What does this even mean?????

Nicholas
Mar 7, 2001

Were those not fine days, when we drank of clear honey, and spoke in calm tones of our love for the stuff?
lena dunham hasnt gotten a refund, but she wishes she had

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

D_Smart posted:

Well, now that you've mentioned it, they're going to have two $1M spikes by 12/31. I am still laughing about the two from the first week of the month. They're not even hiding it anymore.

quoting a very specific call

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

Amazon, representing their 'Lumberyard' games and development engine, an entity that has not been summoned to appear before the glorious spacecourts and has no business in attending this hearing.

They'll just turn up and wreck Crytek,

Wont they? That's how law and all things legal upholding courts work right? You can just go in and defend anyone, without an invitation or request, the court bailiffs and security will just let you waltz right on in.

:allears:

Nicholas
Mar 7, 2001

what if the judge is a backer?

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003

big nipples big life posted:

quoting a very specific call
Calling you bringing it up again in the beginning of the new year.

cynic
Jan 19, 2004

Sabreseven posted:

Amazon, representing their 'Lumberyard' games and development engine, an entity that has not been summoned to appear before the glorious spacecourts and has no business in attending this hearing.

They'll just turn up and wreck Crytek,

Wont they? That's how law and all things legal upholding courts work right? You can just go in and defend anyone, without an invitation or request, the court bailiffs and security will just let you waltz right on in.

:allears:

I wouldn't be at all surprised if by not disclosing their contract with crytek in any negotiations with amazon, they also breached their contract with amazon/lumberyard in a couple of minor ways (you're not able to fulfil clause X because you already have a prior contract with Y that contains conflicting clause Z).

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003
Due to a medical issue my client Chris Roberts cannot swear to tell the truth since he cannot keep his hand still on a Bible for more than 10 seconds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003
If the hand don't sit you must acquit.