Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Suzuki Method
Mar 12, 2012

Robert Denby posted:

Japan's laserdisc release had a cover designed by Otomo:

That's very nice. Is there anywhere to buy it as a print, or is it lost to Japanese laserdisc obscurity? :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

Xenophon posted:

Casablanca, framed with a matte. A lovely gift from my lovely girlfriend!

She's a keeper.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
somebody on Reddit put together a compilation of "twin" movies and their posters, I thought it was interesting to see how little or much two different takes on similar subject matter could be when it came to advertising.

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money
Well darn, I missed another kaiju poster storm. Oh well. We've seen plenty of Godzilla posters, here are some from The War Of The Gargantuas. Fun little flick.

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

All my posters are run of the mill (TDK, Big Lebowski) except for my Tron Arcade Aid 125/999 poster. :smug:

I talked to some guy at the Legacy opening weekend who lost his loving mind when I told him I got one and offered to buy it for a couple hundred. I didn't need the money so I said no. No regrets. That thing is kick rear end.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Critical posted:

All my posters are run of the mill (TDK, Big Lebowski) except for my Tron Arcade Aid 125/999 poster. :smug:

I talked to some guy at the Legacy opening weekend who lost his loving mind when I told him I got one and offered to buy it for a couple hundred. I didn't need the money so I said no. No regrets. That thing is kick rear end.

loving hell, I can't imagine being so well off that I'd turn down a couple of hundred bucks for a poster of Tron of all things. Kudos on your otherwise sound life choices.

e: which poster is it? I'd like to see how much rear end it purports to kick.

Lizard Combatant fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Apr 22, 2013

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

#176 here :smug:

I also have the album preorder glow-in-the-dark Daft Punk poster and the collection of Encom Game Postcards framed.

I have a couple of Godzilla posters I want to put up but I haven't bought the frames for them yet.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

That's the poster someone offered you a couple of hundreds dollars for?

Good God. :jerkbag:

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Not me, but yeah that's the Arcade Aid poster. It was the reward/culmination of the Tron Legacy ARG. It's basically a giant easter egg hunt of old/new video game puns and has nothing to do (directly) with Tron but it's a nice poster!

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

PriorMarcus posted:

That's the poster someone offered you a couple of hundreds dollars for?

Good God. :jerkbag:

The best part is that Tron: Legacy's ARG did so poorly that they literally had to beg people to participate in it and just about every Goon that was following it at the time got a poster because somebody posted an answer key to the trivia game in the thread and the rest of the internet didn't give a poo poo. If that guy had even marginally paid attention at the time he could have gotten it for free.

I wish I had sold it at the time, because once Tron: Legacy wound up not being the second coming of Christ the market on all that collector's crap bottomed out really quickly.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

I'm going to copy exactly what you did there, haha. I was #274 in the entire thing and saved everything.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

Wait what happened here? There was a Tron trivia contest and the winners got Sim City posters?

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

penismightier posted:

Wait what happened here? There was a Tron trivia contest and the winners got Sim City posters?

That poster is a print of a website that they used to promote the movie, where they had a huge pixelated cityscape full of videogame-based rebuses and you had to identify them all. Like, one was a billboard that had a picture of a cell phone with a speech bubble labelled "DUTY" coming out of it and you would type "Call of Duty". If you did them all then they sent you the poster, which they only made 1000 of.

They also sent a bunch of people personalized Encom ID badges if you uploaded a picture of yourself, I still have the Encom lanyard.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

penismightier posted:

Pretty much. The last event was this big 8-bit city filled with game titles you had to guess and the first 999 to solve it got posters. The movie wasn't perfect (it wasn't great) but the ARG handed out swag like candy and the music was good. I got that poster, the postcards, the ENCOM ID, and even managed to get a goon to get me a Flynn's Arcade token. I'll eventually get back to properly framing/organizing poo poo and putting it all on display.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

the music was good.

Tron 2 would've been best of the year caliber if it was just a half hour of cool robot lights and Daft Punk.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
Meanwhile, the actual best-of-year Daft Punk movie features neither their music nor elaborate digital effects.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

But I love elaborate digital effects.

joedevola
Sep 11, 2004

worst song, played on ugliest guitar

Robert Denby posted:

And speaking of "Glengary Glenn Ross", this is the poster that advertized it initially. It looks like its for a totally different movie if only because its so bright and colorful while the movie is drab and takes place almost entirely at night.

Jesus, that's as misleading as it gets.

And why are his arms gigantic?

Glamorama26
Sep 14, 2011

All it comes down to is this: I feel like shit, but look great.

BRICK. BRONSKY.

Glamorama26 fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Apr 22, 2013

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Glamorama26 posted:

BRICK. BRONSKY.

This looks like the cover to half of the video games released in the late 80s/early 90s.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Glamorama26 posted:

BRICK. BRONSKY.

That name belongs in Space Mutiny.

Glamorama26
Sep 14, 2011

Vagabundo posted:

That name belongs in Space Mutiny.

Fridge Largemeat.

By the way, there is apparently a 4th Nuke Em' High Film coming out this year, proving there is a God/there is no God.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Glamorama26 posted:

Fridge Largemeat.

By the way, there is apparently a 4th Nuke Em' High Film coming out this year, proving there is a God/there is no God.

There is only Troma.

FreshFeesh
Jun 3, 2007

Drum Solo
It's likely been mentioned, but who the hell thought this:

Was an improvement on this:

Looking back at all of the "re-release" posters/covers, I get the impression that Hollywood is intentionally making some of the biggest hits in the past decades "hip" for a new generation, but in doing so they've lost any chance of capturing what made those images so epic, sweeping in the first place. The new DVD cover makes it look like a generic "guys and submarines!" movie. Seriously, it's "Hollywood: the Skewed Font"

Then again, what under-25 year old would pick up a movie just because of Sean Connery?

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Asylum Films Presents: The Hunt for Red October, starring Sean Connery, Alec Baldwin, James Earl Jones, Sam Neill and Tim Curry.

Also featuring special guest stars Casper Van Dien, John Rhys-Davies, Lorenzo Lamas, Debbie Gibson and Clint Howard!

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

FreshFeesh posted:

It's likely been mentioned, but who the hell thought this:

Was an improvement on this:

Looking back at all of the "re-release" posters/covers, I get the impression that Hollywood is intentionally making some of the biggest hits in the past decades "hip" for a new generation, but in doing so they've lost any chance of capturing what made those images so epic, sweeping in the first place. The new DVD cover makes it look like a generic "guys and submarines!" movie. Seriously, it's "Hollywood: the Skewed Font"

Then again, what under-25 year old would pick up a movie just because of Sean Connery?

Kids these days love 30 Rock. Put Alec Baldwin on the cover! Also, kids these days love action in their movies. Put a helicopter on the cover!

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
It's a red floating head though.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Yeah, although the actual original poster at least had the sub silhouette on there.

DarkSol
May 18, 2006

Gee, I wish we had one of them doomsday machines.

Does anyone know where I can get those awesome Japanese Godzilla posters at? They are absolutely amazing. :swoon:

CanceledTVShow
Mar 29, 2013
The new cover makes me glad I bought The Hunt for Red October when Paramount was still shipping the DVD with the poster image.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I only have two framed movie posters.

I have this one:

Except the one I have is signed by most of the cast and Tarantino

and I have this one:

Except it's signed by the three leads.

Also while looking for a picture of the Kill Bill poster I found that there are an amazing amount of lovely minimalist Kill Bill posters out there. I think this might be the worst one:

This one also really sucks:

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style
In terms of posters we have up, mine is endlessly predictable, but I've always loved this one. Mostly for the tagline; it's bold and incredulous - but delivered completely deadpan, and it nails the tone of the film.

I also enjoy the dark softness of the poster, the lack of the heroic stance, etc.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

echoplex posted:

In terms of posters we have up, mine is endlessly predictable, but I've always loved this one. Mostly for the tagline; it's bold and incredulous - but delivered completely deadpan, and it nails the tone of the film.

I also enjoy the dark softness of the poster, the lack of the heroic stance, etc.
Not one mention of Ernie Hudson. :raise:

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

axleblaze posted:

I only have two framed movie posters.

I have this one:

Except the one I have is signed by most of the cast and Tarantino

Very jealous. Who's missing?

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007
Denial isn't just a river in Egypt, huh? Nah, get fucked mate.

This was the teaser poster by the way.

Glamorama26
Sep 14, 2011

echoplex posted:

Ernie Hudson is rolling over in his grave. Note: Ernie Hudson isn't really dead.

I have 2 posters up currently. Here is one:

It's cool, dude.

Glamorama26 fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Apr 22, 2013

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

On my wall I have this poster for Howl's Moving Castle:

I also have a small version of this:

Ez
Mar 26, 2007

Drink! Feck! Arse! Girls!
Hey guys I made a fan poster, what do you think?

Selling 10 exclusive prints, $120 + Shipping.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Lizard Combatant posted:

Very jealous. Who's missing?

Some of the signatures on my poster are hard to make out but I think it's signed by Tarantino, Uma Thruman, Lucy Liu, Vivica A. Fox, David Carradine, Michael Madsen, and two that I'd pretty much just be guessing about at this point (though I think one is Sonny Chiba and the other might by Daryl Hannah, but I'm really not sure anymore).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glamorama26
Sep 14, 2011

Ez posted:

Hey guys I made a fan poster, what do you think?

Selling 10 exclusive prints, $120 + Shipping.

I WILL TAKE 47 OF THESE AMAZING PRINTS.