Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

caterpillaropera
Aug 31, 2004

Who's gonna teach you to bump and grind?
Buglord
From r/relationship_advice:

I [24f] told my partner [22M] of 2 years that I was struggling and felt like a low priority and he called me manipulative. Am I?

quote:

Real quick context we used to live together, best friends, great sex, good relationship overall but he moved out to deal with his video game addiction and get a job, he left me with the financial responsibilities and task of living indepdendently. I'm disabled it impacts my daily living and mobility. He has been much happier and healthier since he gave up board games, we've been going on dates and he talks about how in the future we'll live together and he'll move back in.

Because of my disability I'm sometimes bedbound, I tell him that I am when he texts asking how I am and I was getting a little disappointed that he wouldn't offer to come over to help me or comfort me when I can barely walk. But I believe you can't complain if you don't ask.

So I asked. First if he'd come over and cuddle and watch TV whilst I was bed bound; he told me he was busy playing board games with friends but if they decided not to play another game he could come over. A few hours later, he tells me it's too late to come over but maybe tomorrow. The next day he told me he wanted to apply for jobs so was busy. So I asked if he'd be available later in the week and he said

I have chores and work to do here, and you're asking for me to come over and do more on top of that. I'm not exactly enthusiastic about coming over to clean your apartment

Then he just came over told me he had 40 minutes then would go home. He cleaned my kitchen asking me half way in "are you going to help or ...?" I just said I was hurting too much ( i was also doing work from my computer ). I was grateful and thanked him but his attitude made me feel poo poo about it.

So I didn't ask anything for awhile then today over text I asked him he had any spare time to come over and help me because I was planning on cleaning and we could do it together. I ended up explaining that I was struggling and feeling like a low priority he called me manipulative and controlling. I've put an excerpt of the text below, it might be like an overshare but I don't have anyone to ask and I genuinely want to know if what he said was out of nowhere or made sense.

Him: I'll head over at 3pm. I don't want to do more than an hour.

Me: How Come?

H: Because I don't feel great and I don't exactly want to spend my weekend cleaning your apartment lol

M: I don't either, spending more than an hour isn't spending the entire weekend. Not trying to start a fight but you want it to be OUR apartment when talking about the future but when I want help cleaning it's MY apartment?

H: you're asking me to go where I don't live and help with your cleaning.. so I think I should be allowed to tell you the limit to which I am willing to work for today

M: I suppose. I guess I feel I need more help. Right now I have all the financial burden and the task of living independently which has been stressful. When I fell and injured myself the mess accumulated so it added stress, which worsens my condition, which stresses me out. It's a lot of stress for me.

H: Basically, you're telling me it's not good enough and you expect more

M: Please read what I've put and try to be compassionate in your response

H: I think you have to ask yourself why you're not satisfied with an hour, You believe you deserve more right ?

M: I'm communicating how stressed I've been in an attempt to explain why overall I feel like I need more help, I'm not trying to say I'm not satisfied with an hour today. I've felt like I struggle to get scheduled in and I inform you of how I feel and am doing daily because you are my partner but you are scheduling me in amongst board games and leisure mostly and feel the need to tell me strictly no more than an hour. So I do feel a certain way about that. I don't think it's bad of me.

H: I have fulfilled what I offered to do last time, and intend on doing so again. The problem here lies in you not being satisfied by the amount of help bring offered. Other people have expected to take nothing from me and have instead offered things like play time/company/meals without any expectation. So maybe stop comparing what you are asking to what they are asking and feeling like I'm treating you unfairly

M: But a partner is someone who wants to brings you soup when you are ill right? Because taking care of someone you love isn't a burden?

H: Right and I'm bringing the soup, it's just not a big enough portion for you.

M: No

H: Yes

M: I think you are being defensive and we should pick this up at a different time so it can be productive.

H: I'm done being beaten down emotionally and having my behaviour controlled or manipulated. I am offering to do one hour of cleaning, and spend time watching tv with you. No more no less.

Me Please can you stop so we can pick this up at a time where you can be more compassionate with me.

H: Yes, if I am to take what you say you feel seriously you should take what I say I feel seriously.

I can see where I could have phrased things better and I can see he's trying to draw like a boundary of no more no less time committed and my goal was not to get him to agree to more time today, just to express overall that I felt I needed help and that I felt a little low priority but I really am struggling to see how I am manipulative and controlling?

TLDR; My partner moved out to deal with video game addiction and I've been struggling with living independently with my disability, in the few times I've asked for help he's been flakey and had a negative attitude. I told him via text that I was struggling and felt like a low priority and he called me manipulative. The full chat is in quote above. To me it seemed out of nowhere but I want an impartial party to tell it to me straight. Am I manipulative / controlling?

Should have never let him experience that intoxicating freedom of not being your live-in caretaker, lady.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

quote:

The acquaintance is someone who is part of this fountain pen group I'm in. The group usually has lunch/dinner get together to talk about pens and note pads.

i love this

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Crimpolioni posted:

i love this

That ol' xkcd thing is true: internet subcultures are fractal, there's no bottom.

That said, they still all function as dating prospects for the desperate.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

caterpillaropera posted:

I [24f] told my partner [22M] of 2 years that I was struggling and felt like a low priority and he called me manipulative. Am I?

Should have never let him experience that intoxicating freedom of not being your live-in caretaker, lady.

I hope nobody untangles these two anchors from each other

dudeness
Mar 5, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Fallen Rib

caterpillaropera posted:

How does the apartment get so dirty when she's bedbound?

How does moving out help a video game addiction? Does she have a bunch of arcade cabinets at her place?

Nurglings
May 6, 2016

dudeness posted:

How does moving out help a video game addiction? Does she have a bunch of arcade cabinets at her place?

And he deals with his videogame addiction by swapping them out for board games?

Dude should grow a spine and :sever:

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

dudeness posted:

I think it depends why shes bedbound. Maybe the disability is bipolar disorder + borderline and shes in a depressive state?

Philonius
Jun 12, 2005

quote:

The acquaintance is someone who is part of this fountain pen group I'm in. The group usually has lunch/dinner get together to talk about pens and note pads.

I always try to keep social events light-hearted. No discussion of politics, religion, or notepads.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

My Imaginary GF posted:

I think it depends why shes bedbound. Maybe the disability is bipolar disorder + borderline and shes in a depressive state?

From the comments

quote:

I have ME and Fibromyalgia

so she basically has two disabilities that are basically impossible to document or treat and she can always use as an excuse for why she needs him to do all the chores. Conveniently when she's making all the messes she can just say they weren't so bad that day until I looked at a sponge and was banished to my bed.

Bamabalacha
Sep 18, 2006

Outta my way, ya dumb rah-rah!

ArbitraryC posted:

From the comments

so she basically has two disabilities that are basically impossible to document or treat and she can always use as an excuse for why she needs him to do all the chores. Conveniently when she's making all the messes she can just say they weren't so bad that day until I looked at a sponge and was banished to my bed.

What’s ME?

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

She’s not too tired to make food, but she IS too tired to do dishes and put things in the garbage.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

Bamabalacha posted:

What’s ME?

You know how Fibromyalgia is chronic mystery pain that doctors can't identify the cause of, treat, or really even verify for sure the patient has it?

ME is chronic mystery fatigue that doctors can't identify the cause of, treat, or really even verify for sure that the patient has it.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
Today on buried ledes:

How do I(23F) explain I’m not into music without seeming like a weirdo?

quote:

Ever since becoming a teen, the most common small talk/“get to know you” questions amongst my peers is always “So what kind of music are you into?”. I’m not into music though and I feel like I always see people’s interest or friendlisness fade when I say so point blank. That question makes me so uncomfortable! I mean, who doesn’t like music?

It’s not that I don’t like music, hell I can plan three different instruments! I grew up in a super sheltered religious home though and never heard anything but classical till I turned 18. I didn’t know who Elvis, Michael Jackson, or the Beatles were-literally. Also at 18, I got my first boyfriend. He was a total music snob and took it upon himself to “educate” me. He wasn’t very nice in general so, though I was initially interested and tried to play him things I’d discovered, I quickly learned to shut up and like whatever it was he wanted to listen too. When I’m asked “so what music do you like?” I’m instantly transported back to those times when he would berate-at length-whatever song I’d stupidly tried to play him.

Honestly, I’m an audiophile. I far prefer a radio program or audiobook to a song. I only listen to music when I workout really or wanna go for a long walk and daydream to a soundtrack. My personal collection has songs I’ve picked up over the years from all genres, but a fair amount of pop. It’s good to workout to but I know from my ex that pop is “so bad” and “uncool”. I’ve never shared it with anyone nor do I want to. I find it distracting, even annoying when people want to turn on music during a party or hangout but, as long as they don’t ask me what I prefer, I’m cool with it.

I used to parrot a list of my ex’s confirmed “good bands” whenever people asked me the music question but, as I’ve grown up, people seem to want more details that I can’t provide. I can’t launch into my life history with music every time I meet someone new but to say “I don’t really like or listen to music” seems like a definite turn off to most. What the heck do I say now?

Tl/dr: I don’t know how to answer the “what music do you like?” question and it makes me so anxious. I don’t really listen to music at all. Help?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Haifisch posted:

Today on buried ledes:

This post really makes no sense and is all over the place.

I’m not into music except for when I am!

Also IMO incorrect use of the word audiophile.

:sever:

Nurglings
May 6, 2016

Haifisch posted:

Today on buried ledes:

It's really not that hard to say "I wasn't allowed to listen to secular music growing up, but I enjoy classical pieces such as ... "

More likely than not people will think you're weird but in a good way, and most people know not to push for details about growing up with your weird religious parents

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug
There's also nothing wrong with saying you like to listen to top 40 when you're going on a run. Like yeah there are people like her ex that are weirdly judgmental about pop music, but your average person isn't. Which of course is why it's so popular.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

MarcusSA posted:

This post really makes no sense and is all over the place.

I’m not into music except for when I am!

Also IMO incorrect use of the word audiophile.

:sever:
The music she does like makes her self-conscious because it's stuff her music snob ex said was bad and everyone hated and the way she was raised means she can't tell he was full of poo poo.

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

Haifisch posted:

Today on buried ledes:

I'd bet her ex was one of those metalheads that only ever listened to metal and despises Lady Gaga, Little Boots, and Crazy Frog.

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Dude, ix-nay on the oice-vay.

caterpillaropera posted:

No wonder he turned to board game addiction.

"Hey sweetie! It's date night! Time to clean my apartment!"

Miserable Maid
Apr 22, 2010

Admiral Ray posted:

I'd bet her ex was one of those metalheads that only ever listened to metal and despises Lady Gaga, Little Boots, and Crazy Frog.

Who dislikes Crazy Frog?!

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

Miserable Maid posted:

Who dislikes Crazy Frog?!
Everyone with ears.

Honestly, I get having problems with the "so, what kind of music do YOU like?" question because you have a high chance of your answer being "wrong" to whoever's asking. I personally don't give a poo poo if someone doesn't like my answer, but it's understandable why she would. Especially because she was together with a dipshit who always smugly gave :wrong: as an answer.

I also understand not being able to narrow it down because the idea of just choosing one or two genres you like and just not listening to anything else is completely absurd imo and only two kinds of people do that:
a) super basic "I only listen to stuff on the radio" people without an actual taste who despise metal because it's loud and rap because "it's not even music, they just talk"
b) metalheads/technofreaks/indiehipsters/whatever whose chosen genre defines their identity
And both suck in their own ways.

Again, I understand her difficulty in that aspect; I didn't have a Christian parent problem, but for a long while I used to also just listen to what my mom listened to which was a lot of 60s and 70s oldies and bombastic stuff like Meat Loaf and Survivor. Which is great, but a little narrow, and after I started developing my own taste I realized that I kinda...like a lot of different stuff for different reasons? But that took a bit, and I hope she gets there and people tell her that her ex was a loving idiot and she should never give a poo poo about his opinions ever again.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug
Oh I like pretty much everything except rap and country.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I love everything that I overhear often enough it basically conditions my brain to enjoy it or die

And let me tell you, you would not BELIEVE your eyes

if ten million fireflies

Dunning Krugerrand
Dec 23, 2015

purestrain pyrite

feedmegin posted:

Is she native level fluent in both? My understanding is professional translators generally translate to their birth language(s)...

From what she posted in the comments, yes. Her father made sure she learned Chinese and stayed fluent from starting at age 3 and she grew up in the USA. Being that proficient in both languages means she'll always have a comfortable fallback profession as a translator I would imagine.

Content-
Creepy neighbor plays audio of me having sex [Michigan]

quote:

I'm 22. My boyfriend lives out of state and every time he visits me at college we of course have sex. Last Friday when we finished my neighbor knocked on the door and and went off on me about how loud we were being. 1. It was a Friday night. 2. We live on a huge college campus town so it's always really loud outside. But anyway I apologized, said I was really sorry for the noise and he left.

When I woke upon Sunday I hear noises coming from the neighbor's apartment. It's the sound of ME having sex from the night before. Yes this creepy pervert recorded ME having sex and thinks its funny to play it really loud through his computer speakers! I banged on his door to get him to stop and he yelled "I recorded this from inside my apartment. It's totally legal".

So now for the past week every time I come home he plays it really loud so I can hear it. I called the police about it yesterday. They said they would send someone out to my apartment but no one ever came.

What are my rights?

I love how the neighbor complained on Friday night but she glosses over the fact that he played her shrieking like a banshee on Sunday morning, so obviously she did it again on Saturday. And it was so loud that he could record it through the wall clearly enough to recognize her voice. Try screaming into a pillow for gently caress's sake.

burial
Sep 13, 2002

actually, that won't be necessary.

ArbitraryC posted:

My eldest (15) is, no poo poo, alternating between the two lately. It’s weird and horrible and I don’t even really mind country most of the time. The juxtaposition is grating as hell.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

burial posted:

My eldest (15) is, no poo poo, alternating between the two lately. It’s weird and horrible and I don’t even really mind country most of the time. The juxtaposition is grating as hell.

track down a rap version of Convoy

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.

caterpillaropera posted:

She does nothing but argue with everybody that is telling her that she is in the wrong. Seriously, if your boyfriend says he'll come over and help you clean for an hour, TAKE IT AND BE THANKFUL. Don't complain that it isn't long enough!

I can just imagine how often her "conditions" flare up when there is work to be done.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

burial posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qsNwDjUjbfs

burial
Sep 13, 2002

actually, that won't be necessary.

Pick posted:

track down a rap version of Convoy

Solid advice. Maybe I could find a bluegrass version of Baby Got Back while I’m at it.

e:

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

"I like a lot of different things, I grew up on classical music. Right now I'm into [band] when I'm working out."

Seems simple enough but unfortunately her parents and her ex broke her brain and her soul.

dudeness
Mar 5, 2010

Fallen Rib
As somebody that actually doesn't know anything about music and doesn't really go out of their way to listen to anything, I've found the best approach is to never interact with anybody ever.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Dunning Krugerrand posted:

From what she posted in the comments, yes. Her father made sure she learned Chinese and stayed fluent from starting at age 3 and she grew up in the USA. Being that proficient in both languages means she'll always have a comfortable fallback profession as a translator I would imagine.

Content-
Creepy neighbor plays audio of me having sex [Michigan]

I love how the neighbor complained on Friday night but she glosses over the fact that he played her shrieking like a banshee on Sunday morning, so obviously she did it again on Saturday. And it was so loud that he could record it through the wall clearly enough to recognize her voice. Try screaming into a pillow for gently caress's sake.

Sure, but he also recorded her having sex, which is weird and creepy and hopefully illegal.

how can i [22, F] fix things after a fight with my partner [32, F] ??

quote:

TLDR it feels like my partner constantly blames me for everything and when she publicly blamed me for a dinner mishap in front of all my friends, i lost my nerve and made a scene. how can i repair things with her ?

My partner Alex [32/F] and I [22/F] have been together for roughly two and a half years and we have lived together for two years of that, minus a few months. We’re very happy together but in the last 6 months or so problems have started emerging that I don’t know how to deal with and last night these problems boiled over and we had a major fight.

I’m mentally ill and often get paranoid about things that aren’t real or get overly upset and defensive about something, even if it’s inappropriate, because it’s similar to something that hurt me in the past. I know I have these issues and because of that my responses aren’t exactly reasonable , but I hate the way that Alex always tries to imply that every grievance I have is just my mental health acting up, always asking “did you take your meds” any time I complain about something. It just makes me feel like a patient at a psych ward whenever she does that; it makes me feel like I’m not trusted and not allowed to have feelings.

The other thing is that I often have trouble keeping a conversation over text and leave Alex on read without even realising. How it usually goes is that she will ask me a question and I will see it and think of an answer and forget to type it out, or I will definitely have memory of responding, but when I check my phone I see that I didn’t. This problem isn’t specific to Alex; I constantly do this to everyone. This is a problem I have with texting and communication in general, but it’s always framed as like me deliberately slighting Alex because I don’t respect her or something. What more, it feels like she presents every relationship issue we have as a consequence of MY communication problems (see: MY fault) and every attempt i’ve made to say “it can’t be all me, you need to assess how you’re contributing to this” has just been ignored.

She also constantly complains about minor things I do, which really starts to add up and make me feel like poo poo. She complains so often and about so much that I feel like I can’t exist without her criticising me.

Basically, I feel like I can’t come to her about issues I have without her dismissing me and saying it’s just my mental illness. I feel like every problem in our relationship is going to be blamed on me. I feel like I can’t do anything without her criticising me and making me feel terrible. I feel trapped and hurt.

This brings us to the incident yesterday. We have a mutual friend, Gabriel [23, M] who wanted to cook for us because we’re both vegan, so I told Alex I wanted her to bring Gabriel to the store with me to get groceries. Alex was immediately annoyed with Gabriel because he likes to look through different aisles to remember what he needs rather than to make a list and Alex is hyper organised all the time and saw this is chaotic. Alex said “should I just wait in the lobby?” and I said yes because I was hoping to avoid a pointless scene in the store. Gabriel and I shop for a bit and meet up with Alex in the lobby, when we realise that some ingredients that Gabriel and I bought weren’t vegan. We go to exchange them, leaving Alex in the lobby again, but finding a vegan replacement takes longer than expected, and we spend around 6 minutes looking around different parts of the store.

At this point I check my phone and see I have 25 missed calls from Alex. I roll my eyes and say she’s obviously pissed we’re taking too long, but we’ll get back when we get back, right ? So I ignore that and walk back with Gabriel to the lobby, where Alex chews me out, saying “how the hell am i supposed to contact you if you never check your phone ?” and “what if i was hurt and needed help ?” and I just replied that it was obvious she was just complaining we were taking too long. She said that was besides the point. We drove home and I told her Gabriel was planning to make pasta and Alex just goes like “you failed to communicate dinner plans until now, you failed to communicate where you were when I called, you failed to communicate how long it would take for you and Gabriel to get groceries, you failed to communicate...” just going on and on, which really stressed me out. Then she asks if I included two other people in the plans and I immediately take that to mean that I need to include those two or Alex will give me poo poo about being selfish, so I say yes and invite both of them and tell Gabriel to cook for five.

As we’re eating it comes to light that Gabriel didn’t get enough sauce when he was at the store and that he resorted to using an open jar of sauce we had in the fridge from a month ago we neglected to throw out. Alex starts to complain and Gabriel is visibly feeling guilty, but then Alex says something to the effect of “oh don’t feel bad, Gabriel, this is just OP’s fault for failing to communicate how many people she was planning to feed” right in front of everyone.

And that’s when I lost it.

I banged my head on the table and yelled at her for publicly humiliating me and blaming the mishap on me when it was her who pressured me to include two more people in the first place. I yelled at her for “always being her punching bag” and the way she tries to blame me for everything that happens between the two of us. I yelled for several minutes until it was obvious Alex was completely freaked out and everyone was looking at me.

I ended up spending the night with Gabriel and haven’t talked to Alex since. I want to talk to her and apologise and try to get her to understand all the stuff she does that hurts me, but it feels like we’ve been through this so many times before. What should I do?

:sever: and :therapy:, OP. You clearly are incompatible and also you can't be in a relationship with someone who uses your mental illness against you. Also dat age gap.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

burial posted:

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE
Please show this to your teenager and start calling them a city bitch.

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

burial posted:

Solid advice. Maybe I could find a bluegrass version of Baby Got Back while I’m at it.

e:

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE

I have bluegrass Gangnam Style if that helps. The Weird Covers thread has a whole bunch too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z9s57UBMWdk

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

why would recording poo poo you can hear through the wall be illegal?

kakotheres
Nov 9, 2016

Do the job that is in front of you

ArbitraryC posted:

You know how Fibromyalgia is chronic mystery pain that doctors can't identify the cause of, treat, or really even verify for sure the patient has it?

ME is chronic mystery fatigue that doctors can't identify the cause of, treat, or really even verify for sure that the patient has it.

I lost my 20s and 30s to fibro, and now it's turned into multiple sclerosis. There is a link to Epstein Barr that was just discovered. I am sure some people fake it, but my life as a world travelling paleontologist was destroyed by fibro so while it is hard to believe, some people really do suffer from it.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all

Rubellavator posted:

In freshman year some drunk guy walked into our room in the middle of the night (we forgot to lock the door), successfully navigated his way in the dark all the way to the other side of our very messy room, and almost took a piss on our air-conditioner before we stopped him. So drunk he thought our room was the bathroom, yet somehow capable of getting through the knee-high obstacle course that filled our floor.

This has an easy explanation. That man had been there many times before.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Leon Einstein posted:

She does nothing but argue with everybody that is telling her that she is in the wrong. Seriously, if your boyfriend says he'll come over and help you clean for an hour, TAKE IT AND BE THANKFUL. Don't complain that it isn't long enough!

I can just imagine how often her "conditions" flare up when there is work to be done.

Fortunately her chronic, inexplicable fatigue isn't flaring up while she spends hours arguing on reddit.

Philonius
Jun 12, 2005

burial posted:

Money, ho's, and pickup trucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all

ArbitraryC posted:

I’ve always loved that answer. It’s hating the music of poor people but being colorblind about it!

I can’t really think of a genre of music I blanket dislike. Sure, some is only good in small doses (smooth jazz and dubstep, for example) but there’s usually something for everyone if you actually look.

Mashups are cool, too.
https://youtu.be/d2nLoh32CS0