Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

QuarkJets posted:

Adultary in Japan
Can an American woman who married a Japanese man sue if she found out he was in an adultrous relationship?

lol

my dad's cousin pulled the same poo poo but the ages were closer and also reversed. Nobody gave a poo poo.
I think that side of the family is extinct now? If not deff on the way. Couple threads on our side but the whole thing's prob gonna wink out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
My dog needs an emotional support dog.

Actually wouldn't be surprised if that's a thing.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

Ghost Leviathan posted:

My dog needs an emotional support dog.

Actually wouldn't be surprised if that's a thing.

Yeah, not just emotional support, blind animals are often adopted out with a second "seeing eye dog."

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
My brother (19m) just came out. Was happy for him until I found out his bf is 16

quote:

Reposted because I forgot the tldr.

Tldr: 19 year old brother (on the spectrum) is dating a 16 year old (also on the spectrum). Skeeves me out and don’t know how to deal.

Pretty much what it says in the title. My brother came out in the family whatsapp and, once I’d confirmed he wasn’t joking (he is the type to do this), felt really happy for him and congratulated him etc.

I was asking for details of his boyfriend and t turns out that they’ve been dating for 6 months and the guy is 16. And now I don’t know what I’m feeling.

We’re in the UK so it’s not illegal (though can’t exchange nudes until you’re 18 and my brother has assured me they haven’t/won’t). But I can’t help but feel a little weird about it. It’s only a 3 year age gap but my brother is at uni and this kid is doing his GCSEs. On the one hand that’s massively different life stages but on the other it’s my brother’s first relationship and it’s unlikely to last (he’s previously told everyone he’s asexual but apparently is now “experimenting”). I’ve told him to be careful but... what else can I say?

I Facebook stalked the guy a bit and found some stuff suggesting he either has autism or is on the spectrum. My bro has very mild aspergers. I don’t know how this affects the situation because on the one hand I’m sure that’s contributed to their bond, but on the other, if the guy is more severely on the spectrum than my bro then that introduces another element of ‘taking advantage’ ontop of the age thing.

I get that in the lgbtqa community there is a lot more acceptance of some quite hefty age gaps, but I’m just finding it a little hard to deal with. It’s complicated by the fact that I’m with a guy 13 years older than me which makes me feel vaguely hypocritical (though I started dating him when I was 23 rather than a kid).

I don’t even know what I’m asking. Advice? Tips on what to say? What not to say?

Edit: if people could address the issue I’m talking about rather than criticising my own relationship that would be appreciated. I get the hypocrisy but some of you are being rude and unhelpful. I’m happy to remove that bit from the post if it helps people focus.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

ArbitraryC posted:

If they both name their kids the same thing will the kids really care? They're second cousins not sisters I doubt it'll really be a thing.

e: like op totally stole the name and should be made fun of for it but beyond that I don't really see the issue. If somehow the kids get curious I feel like they'd probably think it was a cool story that both their mom's loved the name so much.

having the same name as a close relative is loving annoying.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know

ArbitraryC posted:

If they both name their kids the same thing will the kids really care? They're second cousins not sisters I doubt it'll really be a thing.

e: like op totally stole the name and should be made fun of for it but beyond that I don't really see the issue. If somehow the kids get curious I feel like they'd probably think it was a cool story that both their mom's loved the name so much.

Wow dude way to miss the crux of the issue.

So imagine you're a hormone-riddled, pregnant woman and you spend months choosing the perfect name for your impending baby. Then, your relative who is giving birth weeks before you not only steals that name, but she's a piece of poo poo about it and refuses to take any kind of responsibility whatsoever and acts like if anything, it's the person who thought of the name first who has the issue.

If you can't understand why this is a lovely situation and the name stealer is in the wrong, I don't even know what to say except you don't seem to have much experience with women, much less a pregnant one.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Rubellavator posted:

having the same name as a close relative is loving annoying.

can confirm, me and an uncle both have to go by our middle names among family because we were both named after his father/my grandfather

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug
I said the op was totally in the wrong just from experience i can't imagine it ever actually being relevant for the kids.

I've met my first cousins like once in my life, and it was as an adult visiting grandparents.

Shithouse Dave
Aug 5, 2007

each post manufactured to the highest specifications

A lot of families are closer than that with their cousins, and the OP said they were looking forward to them growing up together and being close.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

ArbitraryC posted:

I said the op was totally in the wrong just from experience i can't imagine it ever actually being relevant for the kids.

I've met my first cousins like once in my life, and it was as an adult visiting grandparents.

The whole premise of that post was that she hangs out with her niece a lot. Maybe you should read posts before discussing them at length?

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

ArbitraryC posted:

:same:, but is it really that hard to understand that some families see each other(including non-immediate family) more often than you do?

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug
and would the kids care? I ended up with kind of a common name and had multiple friends in elementary and middleschool with my same name (including spelling!). We thought it was funny.

feels like more of a power struggle between the parents than something that would bother second cousins.

UZR IS BULLSHIT
Jan 25, 2004

ArbitraryC posted:

This is one of the most hosed up things I've read in this thread.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

I didn't like having the same name as another kid my age because teachers would call us "Tim 1" and "Tim 2" and I hated being 2.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

I have two close friends with the same first name and I've never been able to settle on a good naming scheme. Alpha/Beta, good/bad, 1/2, Prime, etc, nothing seems to stick.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Smirking_Serpent posted:

I have two close friends with the same first name and I've never been able to settle on a good naming scheme. Alpha/Beta, good/bad, 1/2, Prime, etc, nothing seems to stick.

You know what you must do. :ninja:

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

ArbitraryC posted:

and would the kids care? I ended up with kind of a common name and had multiple friends in elementary and middleschool with my same name (including spelling!). We thought it was funny.

feels like more of a power struggle between the parents than something that would bother second cousins.

The lady also said the name was something fairly uncommon. I don't know why she chose to supplement "Janet", maybe she's just an unimaginative person. But if you selected a less common name and someone else just switched some letters around...

I dunno. It'd piss me off and I don't even own a uterus.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Smirking_Serpent posted:

1 and A were good enough for futurama universes, it's good enough for your friends

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
They aren't second cousins. It's her brother's daughter, that's her niece. It's gonna be her kid, and her sibling's grandkid. She will be the niece's kid's grandaunt. The kids will be cousins once removed, but that just means different generations, which will be completely moot since they'll be the identical age.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
She was lovely to her niece and then looked to Reddit for validation then deleted the post when she didn't find it. If niece sticks to her :sever: and these kids may never even meet, thus resolving the issue either way.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Smirking_Serpent posted:

Get one to grow a beard. This works even better if she's a chick.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

SniperWoreConverse posted:

Get one to grow a beard. This works even better if she's a chick.

"Which one of you wants to be from the evil dimension?"

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

phasmid posted:

"Which one of you wants to be from the evil dimension?"

This is the darkest timeline.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

Anne Whateley posted:

They aren't second cousins. It's her brother's daughter, that's her niece. It's gonna be her kid, and her sibling's grandkid. She will be the niece's kid's grandaunt. The kids will be cousins once removed, but that just means different generations, which will be completely moot since they'll be the identical age.

Yeah I was wrong, the kids would technically be 1st cousins once removed. Good catch.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

Smirking_Serpent posted:

People mostly just used our last initial, or sometimes called us by our last name. I kinda liked it to be honest.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

Haifisch posted:

My brother (19m) just came out. Was happy for him until I found out his bf is 16

Just another day in the ol' Pedoph Isles

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

ArbitraryC posted:

People mostly just used our last initial, or sometimes called us by our last name. I kinda liked it to be honest.

cool story, is there anything else you wanted to be wrong about but pass judgement or is this it

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

Taima posted:

cool story, is there anything else you wanted to be wrong about but pass judgement or is this it

What judgement did I pass?

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

ArbitraryC posted:

What judgement did I pass?

You dismissed her concerns despite 1) not even understanding the familial relationship in the first place and 2) your anecdotal evidence was that people in your school had the same name as you and it was ok then?

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

Taima posted:

You dismissed her concerns despite 1) not even understanding the familial relationship in the first place and 2) your anecdotal evidence was that people in your school had the same name as you and it was ok then?

I dismissed the concerns?

ArbitraryC posted:

like op totally stole the name and should be made fun of for it

The OP who posted was clearly in the wrong but bailed when everyone made fun of her for it. She ain't changing her mind. I'm just saying the niece, who wasn't the OP if you read the post, should just keep the name and let the chips fall where they may. I doubt the kids themselves will actually care. Reddit couldn't convince the OP that they were wrong and we can't either, I just don't think the niece should give up the name just cause the OP was a poo poo. From personal experience having a name where I was always "Arb S" in school it really wasn't a big deal and I made friends over it.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
This is the reason my wife and I don't ever say the girls name we have in mind.

If only we could come up with a boy name we like...

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

Beachcomber posted:

This is the reason my wife and I don't ever say the girls name we have in mind.

If only we could come up with a boy name we like...

Try Seven. If not that, there's always Soda.

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

I am an awkward fellow
after all
I am kinda in this sitch with an uncle and it used to just be Big Dan/Little Dan, but now my cousin has named her kid Dan, and it's just got more comedic, and we call my uncle Dan the Elder and my little second cousin Dan the Younger, and I've taken to calling myself "Dan the Mediocre". There are a lot of finger guns at my family gatherings because I'm pretty sure we're all like 45% Dad-genetics.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Smirking_Serpent posted:

Do both... Tim Prime and Tim Alpha

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Hughlander posted:

Do both... Tim Prime and Tim Alpha

Prime:

Alpha:

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
I've consulted the signs and portents. You must name your son...

Trogdor

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
OpTimus Prime

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Every male in the family until I had children had the same first name or that name was their middle name.

I.e., if that name were say Wong, my name is Wong, my father is [firstname] Wong, his brother is Wong and their father is [firstname] Wong. My uncle Wong's wife is Dhinchack, which is easy to remember because by mother's sister is also named Dhinchack and her husband is also named Wong. My mother's father is named Wong and his father was also an Wong, although spelled differently of course. My father's grandfather was another, different spelling of Wong. My male cousin is [firstname] Wong. My uncle's father in law's name is Wong, as is my Aunt's father in law.

If you learn anything from my story, its that stealing names is very Wong.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

LOL

quote:

[–]IVANISMYNAME [score hidden] 7 hours ago
In exactly 13 minutes, OP will delete the post and retreat in denial, continuing to wonder what she did wrong.

EDIT: CALLED THAT poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

SniperWoreConverse posted:

I've consulted the signs and portents. You must name your son...

Trogdor