Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is going to be your favorite offseason storyline?
This poll is closed.
The Big3 Tourney 67 22.41%
Will Lakers draft Ball 40 13.38%
Where will the Pauls go 54 18.06%
Will LeBron jump ship to the Spurs or ?? 41 13.71%
Will every team in the league just pivot towards tanking 97 32.44%
Total: 210 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

euphronius posted:

I thought he signed with Indiana ??

That's Darren Collison

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

I always pictured Dwight fighting by doing that arm swinging thing that little kids do

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

Metapod is never truly happy

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Probably sad, actually. Collison is the Thunderest Thunder who ever Thundered.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

Kibner posted:

Probably sad, actually. Collison is the Thunderest Thunder who ever Thundered.

I meant happy that he's coming back for one more year. Not happy that he's retiring after this year.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
Collison will go down in history as the longest tenured Thunder.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM
Also I don't really like Melo, but the guy has been at 30 USG% his entire career, of course he's gonna be mediocre on defense. He will be fine once his usage goes down and he's on a good team.

I was curious and searched for 30+ USG% and DPBM>0 seasons. Turns out that there have been 95 seasons in NBA history that meet that requirement. Jordan, LBJ, Shaq and Malone account for about half of those. Wade, Westbrook, McGrady, Durant, and Cousins account for another 25 or so. Not an easy feat.

https://www.basketball-reference.co...l=0&order_by=ws

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Hashtag Banterzone posted:

Also I don't really like Melo, but the guy has been at 30 USG% his entire career, of course he's gonna be mediocre on defense. He will be fine once his usage goes down and he's on a good team.

But the Knicks are keeping him

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

LET'S loving GO

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Like Seriously.

Ive watched Jimmy Butler turn into a mediocre defender most times and then literally die at the end of years because he's had to carry the offensive load while also guarding the best wing.

Boosh!
Apr 12, 2002
Oven Wrangler
Too late now, Melo's old.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Boosh! posted:

Too late now, Melo's old.

Age ain't nothing but a number. Ask Dwight.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/885907125985083393

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

5 years is pretty significant, because when Dolan fires him in 2, he still gets paid for 3 more.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

I looked him up and it seems like he's been involved in good decisions and has yet to be fired from anything. Have fun getting tarred and feathered by the NYC media.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Congressmen Scott Perry is an extremely Trump-leaning republican congressmen, not sure how that will affect him ability to be a GM

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Intruder posted:

In the game of life Kemp was far more productive than Pippen

No he wasn't.

Jota
May 6, 2003

uga-booga uga-booga

Paul Zuvella posted:

Congressmen Scott Perry is an extremely Trump-leaning republican congressmen, not sure how that will affect him ability to be a GM

It means Prokhorov got him hired

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Collison hasn't been worth a poo poo for years, but his wisdom and lockerroom presence are priceless

much like my posting

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Mr. Mambold posted:

No he wasn't.

Holy poo poo I had no idea Pippen had so many kids

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch
https://twitter.com/ShamsCharania/status/885913493584707584

Hey cool

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

Intruder posted:

Holy poo poo I had no idea Pippen had so many kids

Pippen was notoriously high-libido. Dude was Fuckin' constantly

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

Hashtag Banterzone posted:

The problem with that is it's not just a lack of effort that makes Melo bad on D. Melo is CONSTANTLY blowing up schemes because he apparently has no idea where he should be. He doesn't understand switching. Increased effort won't solve having no idea what to do, and a career's worth of never doing it correctly isn't going to be resolved because he tries harder (practice makes perfect, but practice also makes permanent--if you're practicing wrong, you only know how to do it wrong). His best-ever defensive season, age 27, his DBPM was 0.0. The rest of the time he's been worse than that.

He also refuses to take a foul, (can't risk going off the court!), and he leaps out of the way when he might conceivably contest a shot. He has some of the fastest hands in the league, but since everyone knows he doesn't play defense he'll frequently get fouls called on him for clean strips, then he'll not-try for the rest of the game. Also:

Intruder posted:

But the Knicks are keeping him

:( true

Fast Luck posted:

I don't think I'd consider that an insult against Lala
I agree, it's not at all an insult. It's one of the nicest things you could say about a person. It's all about the implication...

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 2000

leftist heap posted:

Collison will go down in history as the longest tenured Thunder.

Myles Turner is currently the longest tenured roster player on the Pacers. 2 Years.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
I love Presti

https://www.si.com/nba/2017/07/14/paul-george-oklahoma-city-thunder-russell-westbrook-sam-presti

quote:

When Oklahoma City was eliminated by Houston in the first round of the playoffs, Presti handed all his top lieutenants notecards with a picture of Richard Dean Anderson, the actor best known as MacGyver. The implication was obvious, at least to elders in the building. “We’ll have to use some tools we don’t have yet or some tools we haven’t had,” says director of basketball operations Paul Rivers, “and look from a perspective we haven’t had to look from before.”

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Macgyver has made acid-throwing catapults out of twigs and leaves and that's still less ridiculous than turning Oladipo into Paul George.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Lockback posted:

Macgyver has made acid-throwing catapults out of twigs and leaves and that's still less ridiculous than turning Oladipo into Paul George.

Lol. Tbf I think Sabonis was a good get for Indy. He started a lot of games last year as a rookie before he faded
Damned autocorrect

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

Mr. Mambold posted:

Lol. Tbf I think Sabonis was a good get for Indy. He started a lot of games last year as a rookie before he faded
Damned autocorrect

I talk myself more and more into it each day. Especially if the plan is to get real young and try not to shoot for that 8 seed for a couple of years.

Sabonis might be a great player to pair with Turner. And Oladipo will put people in seats, which gets money for Simon and that's all he really cares about.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I'm definitely rooting for the Pacers as my eastern team. Arvydas was part of some of my favorite Portland teams. His son and Myles Turner should make for a cool combo.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
My chemistry teacher in high school had themed tests that were multiple choice. One of them was a MacGyver test. There is one question that I remember from it. Paraphrased from a 15 year-old memory:

quote:

A person is stuck inside an armored vehicle and MacGyver needs to free them ASAP. The specific heat required to melt the door is <x>. How many bikers does Mac need to kidnap if each bike contains <y> mg of MG?

The "true" answer was not one of the choices. Instead, we were to double the number of bikers MacGyver had to kidnap because half of all kidnappings fail. t_t

Thankfully, if you showed your work to arrive at a correct answer, you got full credit on that problem.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Kibner posted:

My chemistry teacher in high school had themed tests that were multiple choice. One of them was a MacGyver test. There is one question that I remember from it. Paraphrased from a 15 year-old memory:

The "true" answer was not one of the choices. Instead, we were to double the number of bikers MacGyver had to kidnap because half of all kidnappings fail. t_t

Thankfully, if you showed your work to arrive at a correct answer, you got full credit on that problem.

Your teacher ruled

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
If turner can be the anchor to the defense then sabonis is going to be an excellent player next to him for the future. It does come down to if his 3s start falling and he gets decent finishing with his off hand

E: lol at kibners chemistry test question

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

Lmao I'm arguing with a person on Twitter about GS' future tax bill and the implications. She seems to think that Lacob will keep everyone together forever, especially after Draymond and Klay get their maxes. It's hilarious.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Intruder posted:

Your teacher ruled

He was pretty awesome. We also had an Indiana Jones test and a Star Wars test. In a previous year, he had a Deliverance test and had a stuffed animal that played the main theme song going the whole time people were taking it.

Our final was a murder mystery. I don't remember exactly how chemistry was involved, but it was, in addition to questioning witnesses (him) and reviewing all other available evidence. He changes it up every year, but in our case, it was a professional of some kind that died inside a closet, ostensibly due to 17 stab wounds.

So, we spent like two weeks on this drat thing coming up with all plausible causes of death and identifying who dunnit, but it was all for naught. The guy died by falling on a knife 17 times.

Despite his wacky tests, he was actually an incredible teacher and we learned a lot of material and how to apply it in various ways. We also watched the SNL Celebrity Jeopardy skits with him on his PC after class ended but school hadn't been let out for the day.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Maybe Indiana thinks Sabonis can Highlander his dad's skills

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
Some high schoolers trying to get a new ice skating rink funded discovered Boston Garden has been screwing the city out of free charity events they were supposed to host for 24 years.
http://deadspin.com/teens-discover-the-boston-garden-has-ignored-law-for-de-1796921301

Another article on Dennis Smith Jr owning.
http://deadspin.com/dennis-smith-jr-is-an-athletic-marvel-1796924407

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel

"dos manos"

Dexo posted:

(see Jabari Parker)
See Jabari
See Jabari dunk
Dunk, Jabari! Du-
Ohh....again????
gently caress me

I'm still mad about that passive headline, i'm not grammarated enough to define in specific terms why it bothers me, thanks Evan

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

Dexo posted:

Man. Now whenever I look at Derrick Rose highlights I only see how he lands poorly like every single time.

https://twitter.com/TommyBeer/status/885686705994571776

Edit: Wait. People don't think Paul George is better than Klay Thompson.

Is this the world we are living in?

Of course George is better than Klay.

But right now Klay fits the Warriors just as well and is cheaper. Replacing him with George about to hit free agency would make it impossible to hold the team together - plus he might just bolt to LA anyway. Don't want to give up Klay for a one year rental when you already are the dominant team.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Well at least we get a pick out of it
https://twitter.com/sam_amick/status/885904473075310592

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

euphronius posted:

If the sentence is "warriors offered x" and in fact it was an other team that offered x the sentence is misleading to the point of irresponsibility

Imagine it as a headline about WW2 and it makes sense though "Japs Offered Generous Peace Terms" and you'd never read it as past tense the Japanese offered the terms to someone else.

Mr. Mambold posted:

Damned autocorrect

If Sabonis can muscle up and take the tiring post d jobs so Turner can focus on cutting lanes and helping, the D may at least be very good in a couple of years.

Dejan's moment with pronouncing Nader's name plus Kibner's story reminded me of this time in high school when I corrected someone's pronunciation of the last name "Wang" (they said it like it rhymed with bang when it rhymes with long) and the person whose name was at issue said she now pronounced it that way herself because growing up everyone did and she got tired of correcting them. Anglicizing stuff is weird

• Locked thread