Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av

Biplane posted:

Its not weird at all, to a huge group of terrible people two women kissing is good and maybe even straight while two men kissing is an affront to god.

Does god even exist in a galaxy far far away?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

beanieson posted:

Let me tell you about a little something called the Force...

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

beanieson posted:

Wookieepedia posted:

God was a deity recognized by some Humans. He or she (if in fact having a gender) was omniscient and possibly omnipotent.

Princess Leia Organa would use swear words including the term "Lord", which was a title of deity (possibly that God). The Maker for droids was a type of God or deity that they believe created intelligent creations out of simple machines or was the first Droid.

Some of the known deities included the Yuuzhan Vong gods and the Keshiri gods, called the Skyborn.

The Zakuul natives also worshiped a pantheon of gods known as the Old Gods. The so-called Old Ways were generally discarded after the rise of the Eternal Empire.

"God" was also a generalized term for any sort of deity. When C-3PO was captured by Ewoks along with Leia, Han Solo, Chewbacca, Luke Skywalker and R2-D2, he expressed that he believed that they considered him to be "some sort of god."

lol

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av
3PO is God, got it.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Was there a big discussion of Uncut Gems in this thread a little while ago? Just watched it, loved it, and was wondering what I might've missed wrt neat, subtle things.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Not a movie moment, but in the series a moment that relates to the movie. In Tangled: Before Ever After when Rapunzel is given her hair back by the black rocks, the first lock to regrow is the first lock that was cut when she was a baby.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I don't know if it came up here or one of the other movie threads, but Tangled is the 12th most expensive film ever made.

It's more expensive than Star Wars episode 7, any Transformers movie, and every non-Avengers Marvel film. Apparently they finished the movie and then had to redo the entire film.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_most_expensive_films

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Krispy Wafer posted:

I don't know if it came up here or one of the other movie threads, but Tangled is the 12th most expensive film ever made.

It's more expensive than Star Wars episode 7, any Transformers movie, and every non-Avengers Marvel film. Apparently they finished the movie and then had to redo the entire film.

God I love this stuff. It's a nice looking movie, but it just boggles the mind that its budget could balloon so much. It's Slightly more than crazy photorealistic Lion King, it's 100 million more than HtTYD, which came out the same year and I'd say is far more visually impressive. It's three times the budget of Spider-Verse!

Reminds me of Toy Story 2,where they accidentally deleted 90% of the movie and assets, and discovered that the backups had failed. After much panicking, they realised that one of the leads had been on maternity leave, and had a mostly complete copy of the movie at home. So they wrapped her computer in blankets, strapped it down, and drove it very nervously and carefully back to the office, and had an all-hands-on-deck crunch for like a week to pick through it and reassemble everything.

Then six months later they decided the movie was poo poo and started again.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
It's very possible the budget has factored in the cost of switching the entire animation department to computer animation as this was right after Princess and the Frog which is the last traditionally animated movie (no, I don't count Winnie the pooh in 2011)

Karma Tornado
Dec 21, 2007

The worst kind of tornado.

that Tangled budget probably includes the expense of having to slap a new logo on top of all the existing toys and dolls that had been made but not shipped prior to them changing the title at the last second because they were worried boys wouldn't go to a movie about princesses

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I think they created new software for hair and stuff for Tangled

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.
I don't know if it counts, but I've noticed that they never show both ends of Rapunzel's hair without the middle being in a pile, probably so movie nerds can't work out how long her hair is.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Related, but the lowest box office return was the Tom Sizemore/Katherine Heigl film Zyzzyx Road, with around $36.

It opened in one theatre for one week or something.

Edit: apparently it was intentionally limited:

Wikipedia posted:

Zyzzyx Road was shown once a day, at noon, for six days (February 25 – March 2, 2006) at Highland Park Village Theater in Dallas, Texas,[4] a movie theater rented by the producers for $1,000.[1] The limited release was deliberate: Grillo was uninterested in releasing the film domestically until it underwent foreign distribution, but needed to fulfill the U.S. release obligation required by the Screen Actors Guild for low-budget films[1][5] (films with budgets less than $2.5 million that are not for the direct-to-video market).[6]
The strategy had the side effect of making it, at the time, the lowest-grossing film in history; it earned just $30 at the box office, from six patrons.[2] Unofficially, its opening weekend netted $20, with the $10 difference due to Grillo personally refunding two tickets purchased by Sheila Moore, the film's makeup artist, who saw the film with a friend.[1]

Rupert Buttermilk has a new favorite as of 18:32 on Feb 5, 2020

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

$30 is the official number, but they jokingly say $20 because the director refunded his makeup artist who bought 2 tickets.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Reminds me of Toy Story 2,where they accidentally deleted 90% of the movie and assets, and discovered that the backups had failed. After much panicking, they realised that one of the leads had been on maternity leave, and had a mostly complete copy of the movie at home. So they wrapped her computer in blankets, strapped it down, and drove it very nervously and carefully back to the office, and had an all-hands-on-deck crunch for like a week to pick through it and reassemble everything.

Then six months later they decided the movie was poo poo and started again.

I think you're conflating 2 stories and the total redo was for Toy Story 1.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
There was also the story that Toy Story 3 was originally going to be a cheap direct-to-video sequel when Disney's relationship with Pixar was souring in the mid-00s.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.

Krispy Wafer posted:

Jeez they should just release the Shrek-esque version they made now.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Pope Corky the IX posted:

There was also the story that Toy Story 3 was originally going to be a cheap direct-to-video sequel when Disney's relationship with Pixar was souring in the mid-00s.

That was Toy Story 2. Disney wanted a direct to video release and if I’m remembering correctly Pixar took on additional risk to convince Disney to distribute a theatrical version (this being back when Pixar financed most of its own production).

By Toy Story 3 even stupid Disney execs could see it worked better as a full fledge movie.

jojoinnit posted:

Jeez they should just release the Shrek-esque version they made now.

A Chris Farley version storyboard with audio was floating around somewhere. Mike Myers’ was better.

Krispy Wafer has a new favorite as of 19:51 on Feb 5, 2020

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Krispy Wafer posted:

That was Toy Story 2. Disney wanted a direct to video release and if I’m remembering correctly Pixar took on additional risk to convince Disney to distribute a theatrical version (this being back when Pixar financed most of its own production).

By Toy Story 3 even stupid Disney execs could see it worked better as a full fledge movie.

Why do you want to be wrong in so many threads today?

Wikipedia - Toy Story 3: Production

It was put into production at Circle 7, the CG studio Eisner created in order to make sequels to Pixar films once their original seven-film deal was done and Disney owned the characters. There was a script written and character designs had begun by the time of the January 2006 purchase of Pixar by Disney, at which point Circle 7 was shut down and the original Toy Story 3 was cancelled.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

You know, the more I hear about this Michael Eisner fellow the more I wish I could have been there when he found out about Shrek.

Imagine being such a monumental bastard that the people you drive away get together to form their own studio and make one of the most famous animated films of all time, heavily featuring a caricature of you named "Lord Fuckwad"

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

BiggerBoat posted:

I think you're conflating 2 stories and the total redo was for Toy Story 1.

Turns out it was both! https://thenextweb.com/media/2012/05/21/how-pixars-toy-story-2-was-deleted-twice-once-by-technology-and-again-for-its-own-good/

I darent look up 3.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!

RandomFerret posted:

You know, the more I hear about this Michael Eisner fellow the more I wish I could have been there when he found out about Shrek.

Imagine being such a monumental bastard that the people you drive away get together to form their own studio and make one of the most famous animated films of all time, heavily featuring a caricature of you named "Lord Fuckwad"

Don't pretend like Katzenberg is any better.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Why do you want to be wrong in so many threads today?

Wikipedia - Toy Story 3: Production

It was put into production at Circle 7, the CG studio Eisner created in order to make sequels to Pixar films once their original seven-film deal was done and Disney owned the characters. There was a script written and character designs had begun by the time of the January 2006 purchase of Pixar by Disney, at which point Circle 7 was shut down and the original Toy Story 3 was cancelled.

Disney wanted Toy Story 2 to be direct-to-video. The Wikipedia article you linked says the director Disney tapped for Toy Story 3 had done direct-to-video productions, but that were looking at a theatrical release in 2008.

Maybe they were looking at direct-to-video for Toy Story 3 also, but I've never seen that.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

couldcareless posted:

Don't pretend like Katzenberg is any better.

Imagine being such a monumental bastard that you drive people back to Jeffry Katzenberg

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Was there a big discussion of Uncut Gems in this thread a little while ago? Just watched it, loved it, and was wondering what I might've missed wrt neat, subtle things.

I don’t have much off the top of my head but I recommend listening to the Dec 17 2019 episode of the Bill Simmons podcast. He interviews KG and Sandler. If you’re not familiar with Simmons he’s a founder of The Ringer sports network and a Boston homer. Still worth listening to though

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape
Putting my effort post from CD here because people may appreciate it

Jestery posted:

I recently watched Vanilla ice's "Cool as ice" and was pleasently suprised by the camera work and general vibe the film had going on. Far from being a slapped together star vehicle , it is plain to see that effort and talent went into the creation of this film. This juxtaposition between incredibley competent camerawork and staging and vanilla ice's "b-kool" attitude is an enjoyable one.

This film almost sort of works at times as a samurai ronin type film transplanted into the 90s with hyper colour motorcycles

I wonder why that is...

oh....

so enjoy some kool moments from the movie that I scrubbed

I havn't got inline linking to gifs sorted yet so you may need to click through i'm sorry, but I implore you to see some of these

This guy is strangely well characterised as a slobby sadistic mob goon
https://gfycat.com/sandyfoolhardyicelandgull

https://i.imgur.com/8cl178e.mp4

https://i.imgur.com/Mm85vpf.mp4

The lighting and relative long shot nature of this (there is a significantly more before and after this clip) and the motorcycle mount is actually kinda cool(?)
https://i.imgur.com/X9k4W3S.mp4

https://imgur.com/Af6vRx7

Ice's friends are goofy enough to be entertaining and their sequences are surreal enough to break up the pace
https://i.imgur.com/8jdGY74.mp4

This is a scene where a sister realises here brother isnt where he should be, she comes home and the NES is on but he isnt there, the slow nature of it , the environmental story telling and how the moment of realisation is dont with the drop of some papers is really good ( and in a movie with vanilla ice)
https://i.imgur.com/uzXx7St.mp4

https://i.imgur.com/roSLZHb.mp4

https://i.imgur.com/jsjTi1l.mp4

I included this one because of how it sets the scene and afte the inital set up creates negative space that is then filled with diagetic light to both secondarily establish that
a. the child is here
b.the dude is a wanker and shines light in a childs face
https://i.imgur.com/fztJtf1.mp4

so, films that have one good element or suprised you inspite of themselves thread here I guess?

dirksteadfast
Oct 10, 2010

Krispy Wafer posted:

The original concept for Tangled’s visuals involved traditional animation enhanced by computers so the movie would look like a moving oil painting (the main source of inspiration being “The Swing”). Developing software to do that and/or running tests on something that elaborate was probably expensive as poo poo, and then it was all scrapped. Most of the budget probably went to Disney’s conversion of its animation department into the trajectory they’ve been on ever since with CG animation, Tangled just happened to be in production when that happened so it got the bill for it.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

Krispy Wafer posted:

I was surprised the LOTR movies weren't higher on the lists, but I guess they saved a lot of money by filming them close together, reusing assets etc.

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

Chas McGill posted:

I was surprised the LOTR movies weren't higher on the lists, but I guess they saved a lot of money by filming them close together, reusing assets etc.

Totally. Iirc New Zealand gave $200M in tax breaks and labor/union casting subsidies, too, as well as donated land on which to build the actual functioning still-there Shire (which is a big tourist place now). They knew it would be huuuuge and really took great pains to sell the locations by offsetting expense for their boy Pete's pitch.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

The Shire originaly didn't last. They had to rebuild it for the Hobbit trilogy, and that time they built it for real (that is, real building instead of facades of building), because they knew that time it would be a tourist area. They didn't know after the first trilogy, and let it go to ruin.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0DEKkcJHWMw&t=715s

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

So I'm watching the Netflix Dracula miniseries and it's pretty entertaining. Never read the original novel and Dracula never really interested me, so I'm sure there's enough to complain about (especially the third episode) but one thing I absolutely love is and respect is how good Sister Agatha's Dutch accent is. It's pretty much spot on, nearly perfectly done, which is a nice change because usually they just use a random vaguely European sounding accent (or worse, just use a German accent or have them speak German outright and call it Dutch.)

Her accent is really stealing the show for me, oddly enough. (Being Dutch but having studied English and phonetics and stuff at a pretty high level, normally I find a strong Dutch accent really grating, but it just works here.)

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

IUG posted:

The Shire originaly didn't last. They had to rebuild it for the Hobbit trilogy, and that time they built it for real (that is, real building instead of facades of building), because they knew that time it would be a tourist area. They didn't know after the first trilogy, and let it go to ruin.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0DEKkcJHWMw&t=715s

Ah! I was a bit off and that's cool to know, thanks.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Not a lot of examples of Dutch accents I can remember, beyond the obvious other Van Helsing. Which is top tier in contrast of what Keanu was going for :v:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V67ozonzKRQ

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Mierenneuker posted:

Not a lot of examples of Dutch accents I can remember, beyond the obvious other Van Helsing. Which is top tier in contrast of what Keanu was going for :v:

Yeah, but while I can tell what he's going for, and there's certain aspects of it he does kinda right, it's still just a vaguely western European accent, not specifically a Dutch one, and even then not great. And I absolutely love Anthony Hopkins.

I literally looked up the actress playing Sister Agatha to see if she was in any way Dutch. (She isn't.) Her imperfections are seriously minor (certain vowel sounds, mostly, that a true Dutch speaker would pronounce only slightly differently) and I'll just chalk that up to her living in Romania for a while. :v: It's just such a delight for someone to actually put serious effort into it. It must've taken a whole lot of training with a seriously skilled vocal coach (and a whole lot of talent as well) to get it this right.

e:
The only other instance of well done Dutch in American/British TV/Movies is that scene in Friends where the bartender that always has a crush on Rachel (I think) at one point blurts out "Jij bent een ezel." (You're a donkey). I remember it striking me that his pronunciation was pretty much spot on, but the writing wasn't. ('Jij' instead of 'Je', which would've been what a native speaker would've used in that instance since there was no emphasis on the subject.)

e2:
I remembered wrong (but it was like 15-20 years ago, so whatever)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YIbVYFjaPVQ

Rewatching it now it's only the last sentence that's pretty good, only the 'jij' is off, the rest of his Dutch isn't great but they made a decent effort. Also Gunther? That's not a Dutch name at all.

Taeke has a new favorite as of 00:05 on Feb 9, 2020

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Mierenneuker posted:

Dracula was such a trash rear end movie, on par with Jurassic World Fallen Kingdom and Fifth Element.

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

oldpainless posted:

Dracula was such a trash rear end movie, on par with Jurassic World Fallen Kingdom and Fifth Element.

More like oldtasteless

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
I'm sure I saw someone say exactly that about Fifth Element in a thread within the last week or so.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

HopperUK posted:

I'm sure I saw someone say exactly that about Fifth Element in a thread within the last week or so.

Well whoever said was assuredly very smart and certainly very handsome

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

HopperUK posted:

I'm fairly sure it was him.