Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

al-azad posted:

Reading a review the game goes from stealth to platformer when you hit the basement and now I want to watch a documentary about how this game got so hosed.

What!?

Welp, gonna scour the YouTubes now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

IShallRiseAgain posted:

Its not very complicated. They realized that youtube LPers would do a new video everytime they put out a lovely new version of the game, so they kept cranking them out with less and less quality control.

Yep

Yardbomb posted:

Pretty much exact same thoughts he had, it's almost incredible just how good of a game they've squandered. The very original alpha demo things were really neat, the AI actually trying to figure your rear end out and you needing to play around it was fun, but then after they realized they had a clickbait hit on their hands, it pretty much devolved into "How much bullshit can we literally staple on" as evidenced by just the house itself getting worse and worse every time, not to mention the AI and the trying way too hard now "deep lore" as even he said, which is purely youtube bait by this point.

Yardbomb posted:

Wayyyyy back at the start when the house wasn't seven stories tall he was the only threat, but he was a good one and neat to try and get around, because the ways you came into the house would start getting more trapped, barricaded and he'd be more likely to hang around there, so you could try and misdirect them after a while too.

Yardbomb posted:

This was the house originally.

This is the house now.

The AI has suffered a ridiculous amount, there's no real character to the game anymore, the devs have gone whole hog on trying to inject some vague story that's poorly done for clickbaity youtubers, so on and so on.

This also sums it up well.

"The game has gotten worse, every single installment."

"This is not the stealth-horror, learning AI game we were promised in the beginning."

Yardbomb posted:

They've added in and taken out and added in a bunch of ending-not-endings in all the alpha builds, made super convoluted and uninteresting "secret ending" type setups to the stuff, all that kind of thing which pretty much just started to feel like pandering to the people who want to make "NEW HELLO NEIGHBOR BUILD 5931 ENDING? (SAD) ((SECRET HISTORY BEHIND THE NEIGHBOR?!))" type videos. Which you did indeed see a whole assload of every time there was a new build, there's probably a bunch for the beta now too. Basically it felt like they wanted the game theory crowd to catch on like they did for Five Nights at Freddys.

The game started so promising and nosedived right into the youtube cashgrab trash pile.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
Youtube is bad

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

The monetization of YouTube was bad

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
I feel like they forgot that for people to care about your mystery, it has to be solvable. Like with FNAF there was a lot of weird obscure poo poo, but in the end you COULD piece together most of what the gently caress. With Hello Neighbour, the game built up something SUUUUPER SPOOKY in the basement behind a locked door, but every build people datamined the game to find out there's nothing implemented behind the door, and no way to get in. If you want me to care what's behind a door you need to put something behind the door,

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
When you open the door, Chris Roberts is inside and he says 'thanks for playing.'

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

Danaru posted:

I feel like they forgot that for people to care about your mystery, it has to be solvable. Like with FNAF there was a lot of weird obscure poo poo, but in the end you COULD piece together most of what the gently caress. With Hello Neighbour, the game built up something SUUUUPER SPOOKY in the basement behind a locked door, but every build people datamined the game to find out there's nothing implemented behind the door, and no way to get in. If you want me to care what's behind a door you need to put something behind the door,

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Bogart posted:

When you open the door, Chris Roberts is inside and he says 'thanks for paying.'

FTFY

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.
If I remember rightly, the original developers of Hello Neighbor actually sold the rights and assets to a Russian company of some sorts after running out of funds for development.

Here's the best gameplay and youtube video playthrough recap of what the game basically is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D2WNhy_YbiM

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Where did you hear about the rights being sold? A cursory google search shows me nothing. Also, since I'm sure 1) I will not be playing this game and 2) one of you will, what is the dark secret that The Neighbor is supposed to be hiding?

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Funnily enough, this completely shameless android knockoff manages to be a scarier game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vdCSSkMinvg&t=698s

It should start you at 11:38

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
The hello neighbor dev liked one of my drawings on tumblr. :)

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Bogart posted:

2) one of you will, what is the dark secret that The Neighbor is supposed to be hiding?

Nothing, it's all a dream. I'm not even being facetious.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

What the gently caress

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Well

I kinda figured

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

al-azad posted:

:roflolmao:

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Arcsquad12 posted:

I am curious about one thing in the new FNAF game's story, though. So Springtrap is in the game, and we know the corpse and soul of William Afton, purple guy, is in the suit. Does Baby know about Springtrap's origins? Because she and the other anomatronics believe the new building is a gift to them from her "daddy", who would be William Afton, as Baby has the soul of Afton's daughter in her. So how would she fall for the trap set by cassette guy, thinking it was her father, if her father is already in there with her?

Nobody seems to know Afton is Springtrap initially, from the ending cinematic it sounds like Afton was expected to show up as the night guard to this party because the guy that made the building didn't know what happened to him, as he remarks to you (Michael?) that you're not who he expected to be in this spot. But you've got it a little mixed up.
The original FNAF band didn't want to kill children, in fact they actually protected children, and chased night guards presumably because Afton used to be one early in the game's story. Baby is different. Baby is made by Afton, and programmed to kill children, which is why he wanted his own daughter to stay away from it. Baby-as-Ennard speaks in the daughter's voice in the non-canon end to beg you to accept death, but it's never evident that the daughter's soul is controlling her like the children control the FNAF1/2 band. If anything, Baby controls what remains of Afton's daughter and not the other way around. That "daddy" line is likely not the daughter speaking, presumably Afton's daughter isn't a sociopathic mass murderer, but that's supposed to be the robot calling out to it's creator about how overjoyed it is to finally do some child-killin' like he would have wanted.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 09:42 on Dec 10, 2017

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Just spotted an incredibly PS1 survival horror looking game called Creeping Terror came out recently on 3DS, did anyone try it?

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

probably not a good move to name your game after an infamous b-movie.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Craptacular! posted:

Nobody seems to know Afton is Springtrap initially, from the ending cinematic it sounds like Afton was expected to show up as the night guard to this party because the guy that made the building didn't know what happened to him, as he remarks to you (Michael?) that you're not who he expected to be in this spot. But you've got it a little mixed up.
The original FNAF band didn't want to kill children, in fact they actually protected children, and chased night guards presumably because Afton used to be one early in the game's story. Baby is different. Baby is made by Afton, and programmed to kill children, which is why he wanted his own daughter to stay away from it. Baby-as-Ennard speaks in the daughter's voice in the non-canon end to beg you to accept death, but it's never evident that the daughter's soul is controlling her like the children control the FNAF1/2 band. If anything, Baby controls what remains of Afton's daughter and not the other way around. That "daddy" line is likely not the daughter speaking, presumably Afton's daughter isn't a sociopathic mass murderer, but that's supposed to be the robot calling out to it's creator about how overjoyed it is to finally do some child-killin' like he would have wanted.

Okay, so does this sound right? I want to get my plot straight. 1983 kid dies after his brother shoves him into Golden Freddy's jaws in fnaf 4, Bite of '83. Afton then starts killing children in the Spring Bonnie suit, and their souls are trapped in the original game's four suits. Later Afton designs circus baby and the spinoff pizza chain's robots. Baby presumably kills some kids including Afton's daughter, while Afton kills the kids who are enclosed in the FNAF 2 suits. Cassette Guy's daughter is left outside and also dies, becoming the puppet. Bite of '87 happens, probably Foxy or Mangle, but possibly also Baby killing the daughter. The Circus Baby line is shut down and put in the underground storage site to be scrapped. Afton sends Michael to the storage site where Ennard scoops him so the Circus Baby animatronics can escape.
Afton attempts to kill again but the spirits of the children stop him and the springlocks in the suit kill him, becoming springtrap.
A new attempt to revive the fazbear line sees the old suits refurbished. FNAF 1 happens.
Years pass and then the Fazbear Fright attraction opens, then burns down. Springtrap survives.

Michael pukes up Ennard after doing god knows what (maybe killing Phone Guy?), and for some reason helps rebuild Baby, as he says at the end of Custom Night.

Cassette Guy plans another reopening to trap the killer animatronics. Michael takes the job offer so he can finally die. Puppet infiltrates the building as Lefty to keep an eye on the killers and the night guard. Then Cassette Guy torches the place.

Does that sound mostly right?

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

i don't get why the hello neighbor devs tried to capture youtube game theorists. isn't five nights literally the only game/games where that drove sales. there's a cottage industry of dark souls lore videos but nobody buys the game off that, it's like a bonus.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Sakurazuka posted:

Just spotted an incredibly PS1 survival horror looking game called Creeping Terror came out recently on 3DS, did anyone try it?

Hello, this looks like a modern Twilight Syndrome and now I'm interested.

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."
I've been meaning to go through the FNAF games, but I guess I'm too much of a scaredy-cat to play them. It's not even the jumpscares themselves, but rather this tension of keeping an eye out for everything that gets me.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Blattdorf posted:

I've been meaning to go through the FNAF games, but I guess I'm too much of a scaredy-cat to play them. It's not even the jumpscares themselves, but rather this tension of keeping an eye out for everything that gets me.

That's why I find them entertaining, and why the knockoffs suck. Cawthon's best talent is his ability to ramp up tension, not the junpscares themselves. The jumpscares in 6 are pretty crap, but that's only because they've been getting dumber as the series went on. With the exception of 5, because those were great.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

al-azad posted:

That's terrible.

Hello Neighbor looked so drat good when it was first announced.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames

al-azad posted:

The whole fuckin point is to wonder what's in the basement! Goddamnit! You can't do that!

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Hello Neighbor also ends with a boss fight against a Godzilla-size Neighbor.

Not kidding.

Bert of the Forest
Apr 27, 2013

Shucks folks, I'm speechless. Hawf Hawf Hawf!
I wonder if it has less to do with Hello Neighbor chasing the "lore" crowd specifically so much as they wound up chasing the target audience of FNAF - i.e. kids, who are predisposed to wacky weird ghost stories.

Given that, and their clear desire to capitalize on the merchandise whale that comes with a successful kid friendly product might explain some of this stuff like the weak dream ending, the shift of focus to wacky house shenanigans and the apparent lack of any actual consequences in the plot as far as I understand it. It reads exactly like a Goosebumps novel.

Not a good one mind, but I think it's more that they decided to be a kids game than anything else.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
I laughed out loud at the comparison shots of the house

al-azad
May 28, 2009

There's even a Tarantino macguffin at the end where a suitcase flies open ominously while the protagonist continues to unpack into their derelict boarded up house.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
Is there a good summary of how the thread reacted to Outlast 2 anywhere? I've read the now-archived game thread, but it's 3 pages long. How did they manage to screw it up this badly, on so many levels? What lessons are there to be learned from it?

:rant:Someday! Someday!

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Dec 11, 2017

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Discendo Vox posted:

Is there a good summary of how the thread reacted to Outlast 2 anywhere? I've read the now-archived game thread, but it's 3 pages long. How did they manage to screw it up this badly, on so many levels? What lessons are there to be learned from it?

Rape. Rape rape dead babies rape did we mention dead babies? The piles weren't enough?

Also the chases were far better done and spaced in the first.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

goferchan posted:

I laughed out loud at the comparison shots of the house

Saaaaame

Glukeose
Jun 6, 2014

Discendo Vox posted:

The move to an outdoor locale made it so that chases were more sloppily designed and the maps felt aimless and more artificial than its predecessor. The story is also moving on what feels like too many parallel tracks. There's the focus on the protag and his wife, the sunday school guilt memory story, and the backdrop crazy evil superscience story that all feel like they build up to nothing.

More or less Outlast 2 feels like it tries extremely hard to be shocking and subversive, which achieves the exact opposite effect and really just manages to be exhausting in the way that an edgy highschool student is.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
I still go back and watch Bob and co's stream of Outlast 2 just because watching four people extremely well versed in horror rip it apart is super gratifying :allears: Good lord what a shitshow

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Glukeose posted:

More or less Outlast 2 feels like it tries extremely hard to be shocking and subversive, which achieves the exact opposite effect and really just manages to be exhausting in the way that an edgy highschool student is.

A lot of it's this, among a ton of other really dull crap, quoting myself again.

Yardbomb posted:

That's the problem with Outlast's gore, there's so much of it everywhere at all times, that eventually you're moving through a river that's "so thick with corpses I could walk across it on their backs" and buildings chock full with mangled people crucified and oil drums full of hacked apart arms and legs and it's just boring by that point, skinned people roped into weird branch structures, people hanging from trees and rafters and whatever else, corpse burning dugouts, it all starts to just register as mundane and "Yep, that sure is another gibbering person talking about EAT THE FLESH SPICE IT WELL" not even halfway into the game.

Yardbomb posted:

Also yeah the notes this time are pretty much all one of two things, either really long and uninteresting "This is 'scripture' and whatever of our very unique christian cult" or it's "I dreamed of the babies and slitting their throats and I got so worked up, I woke up soaked in my own jizz" and not even exaggerating, both on the content of the notes or how that's virtually all of them just worded different. Actually poo poo wait, I forgot a third one, women talking about how they're ready to die or whatever else to kill their definitely-the-antichrist-this-time babies which mostly come from rapelord supreme "papa" cult leader.

Yardbomb posted:

Oh yeah and continually making GBS threads on Outlast 2 some more, your guy's wife is pretty much just a plot item the entire game through that's also constantly bombarded with rapey poo poo, first it's finding her, you do so in a creeeeepy chapel where the spooooky hick cultists and their high chief rapemaster "papa" cult leader are talking about how they're "inspecting" her the entire way as you're trying to take the goofy rear end route through the place since the front doors to the room are locked, then it's "Oh no she's somehow magic pregnant" literally because she isn't when the game starts and then suddenly she's already getting big rear end stomach, also your guy asks her what happened/what did they do and she gets all chokey and does the "I just can't" thing, then it's finding her again because immediately after that she gets kidnapped by the second backwoods rapecult "heretics", some other junk happens, you get to the ending, she gives the fastest birth you've ever seen but it's not-actually-birth or something because it was all Murkopff Jackoff Corporation psychosomatic pregnancy or whatever and she says there's nothing actually there while you're holding your ugly baby and then she dies and that's her contributions.

Yardbomb posted:

I explained it earlier in one of my things about the game.

Wife gives not-actual-birth to a baby, your guy holds it up to her and she goes "There's nothing there.... blech" and dies, it was really a psychosomatic pregnancy which is something that can happen when you're around the power of the nanomachine ghost, which is something you only know in this series anyway because it was mentioned in a complete throwaway memo in the first game. Also fat prophet guy cuts his own throat after a dumb spiel and what was frying everyone around's brains was really a Jackoff Corporation "cellphone tower" someone found.

There's so much wrong with that game it's ridiculous, all my above criticism not even touching on the catholic school bits of the game, which have the most 'Beat you over the head with a blunt object' writing imaginable, oh maaaan the monster is a terrible thing with a bunch of grabby gropey hands! Blood in the girl's bathroom! So much to that point, they actually removed audio from the final game that was just explicit priest raping little girl sounds! poo poo on Outlast 2 and Red Barrels.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
What surprised me most about it was it seemed to remove what little degree of agency, control or meaning that the protagonist had in the previous games. It's just relentless bad decisions and suffering with no real redemption, success or catharsis for the main character, unless you count the "make you realize you didn't stop a priest from molesting and murdering your friend" bit, which is not exactly positive, even if it's not tied to the plot device melting your brain.

Danaru posted:

I still go back and watch Bob and co's stream of Outlast 2 just because watching four people extremely well versed in horror rip it apart is super gratifying :allears: Good lord what a shitshow

Link pls.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

I'm sure as hell not listening to those but holy gently caress what's wrong with these people

Here you go!

Marshal Radisic
Oct 9, 2012

I think this is the guy. The channel is barely organized, so you'll have to do some poking around, but you'll find three recorded streams for Outlast 2 if you scroll through the uploads library.

EDIT: drat, beaten. Ignore me!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Arcsquad12 posted:

Story recap

Does that sound mostly right?
You're talking about a game that runs really heavily on speculation and theory. But here's my understanding...
Game 4: There's a restaurant with Fredbear/Springbonnie, as well as a Fazbear five you never see. Those guys are rumored to be the Rockstar animatronics in 6's simulator, since that would make "Lefty" become Nightmare in the kid's head. Afton works there. A kid's head is shoved into Fredbear's jaws. Afton becomes a villain, kills his first victim, a child outside in the alley. The first victim will become the Puppet, The bite kid will be "put back together" as the supernatural reality-warping Golden Freddy.

Game 2: Fredbear's Diner is completely shut down, the animatronics are sold to a new company, which is named Freddy Fazbear's Pizza. That is, the NEW FFP, no connection to that old joint. Among the people employed there are Phone Guy and Afton. Fredbear was presumably destroyed after the bite incident because who would want a cartoon bear that crushed a child's skull in it's jaws (Golden Freddy in 2 is a damaged disembodied head). Spring Bonnie is used as an occasional walk-around mascot figure, hence Phone Guy recording instructions on how to use the springlock suit. Afton uses the springlock suit to kill children, and puts their corpses in the classic animatronics, which causes oozing and rotting and is generally gross. As these animatronics are slowly being repaired, Afton's first victim haunts the puppet and puts the children's souls in the band robots. At the same time, the restaurant makes the short-lived Toy band that can identify criminals. Afton is stalked overnight by the spirits of the children and either leaves or requests a swap to the morning shift, opening the door for the FNAF2 protagonist. The protagonist either has a criminal background or is somehow otherwise sketchy in a way that's not quite talked about, because the children go after him thinking he's Afton, AND the Toy animatronics go after him, too. After a few nights, the discovery of dead children and the otherwise irrelevant bite of 86 causes the restaurant to shut down.

1 part A: A rebooted FFP is opened.

5 part A: Afton gets into robotics and running a 'sister location' to a reboot of FFP. How can he afford it? Who knows, maybe he received a big settlement from his son turning into a dying vegetable after the bite at Fredbear's (corporate negligence and lawsuits seem to be a recurring theme in this franchise.) He designs a robot intentionally designed to kill children and a location of his own design. Baby kills his daughter instead, and between that incident and a gas leak, Circus Baby's Pizza World closes only after a few people ever got a look inside. Elizabeth Afton's death is blamed on "multiple springlock failures". Afton's son Michael takes a night job crawling through vents before the animatronics are scooped to death, and they scoop him and wear him like a suit for a few days.

1 part B. At the rebooted restaurant, Phone Guy gets a job here again. By now people know SpringBonnie isn't even safe to operate at any level and was the 'face' of a messy incident, so it's put in an unmarked room that the animatronics can't access and new employees aren't to talk about. An unnamed night guard is haunted by the children, presumably because they think it's Afton.

5 part B: Michael Afton's body rots due to being reverse-Sprintrapped by Ennard, miraculously revives after they evac. "You won't die."

3. William returns to the most recent FFP from game #1 and destroys the animatronics. Then the ghosts appear before him and freak him out into the suit, which skewers him and makes him Springtrap. The children are finally freed (Happiest Day).

6. Puppet (inside Lefty), Baby, Springtrap, and the remainder of Afton's killer robot band are reunited at the end and destroyed. Casette Man expected William to take the guard role again, but William shows up in Springtrap and instead the undead Michael is the likely protagonist who chooses to sacrifice himself to make sure his family tragedy comes to an end.

There's a lot of unsolved variables in here, including whether or not Afton actually worked at the restaurant in #2 or killed the kids and put them in the animatronics back during their time as Fredbear's. Obviously, I guess the former; it seems weird that their bodies would be left to decompose in the suits for years instead of weeks. There's also the matter of whether the 83 bite family is his family, which would make Michael the older brother in the Foxy mask. Michael may also be the #2 protagonist, given that all the animatronics are after #2's protagonist and it's mentioned once that Michael looks a lot like his father. All we know about the #2 protagonist is that he got the gig as a summer job and either has a criminal background or could be confused for someone with one.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Dec 11, 2017