Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Nate RFB posted:

Out of curiosity what was bad with Shenmue 3's? I don't think I ever looked at it other than the last day to see if it had met its goal or not.

It met its goal about eight hours after it went live, it was never in any danger of not being funded.

There was some ambiguity around whether Sony does or doesn't have a financial stake in the game and whether the amount they were asking for was enough to make the game people wanted, and there was also concern that Yu Suzuki was going to end the story on another cliffhanger that would never be resolved. Additionally, the people running the campaign on behalf of Yu Suzuki did almost nothing for a long time and when they did start doing livestreams and such they weren't well-handled; the campaign was funded in spite of itself, basically, and while it set a ton of KS records if had the potential to bring in a lot more money than it did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack
Kirby Triple Deluxe rung up for 13.99 at best buy somehow. Not bad

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

So having finished Majora's Mask, I'm not sure what to make my next big 3DS purchase.

I want a game with a lot of content but that I can play a bit each day since I won't really have the time to devote long blocks of time. MM was a bit a hassle because it's a game that plays better in long spurts I feel. I own Smash and AC which are both fine every now and then but I can't do them super regularly cause they're super repetitive.

I'm thinking of Mario 3D Land, Ocarina of Time, Fire Emblem, and/or MGS:3 Snakeater. I feel 3D Land might be the best but the last platformer I played (NSMB) did not hold my attention in the slightest. Ocarina of Time is fine except for the fact I've played it at least a dozen times now and I feel, that like MM, it would be best played in long spurts. I feel that MGS 3 would be the same thing, but it is a game I've always wanted to play (I've no idea how it handles on the 3DS). I've always liked the Fire Emblem series, but I haven't been able to replay any of them for a few years now since it all seemed a bit repetitive and I know I"m not going to pay it the slightest attention to the plot.

I guess I'm looking for an arcadey game but that has real staying power and holds attention over long periods of time.
I have a New 3DS if that matters at all.

The Ass Stooge
Nov 9, 2012

a hunger uncurbed
by nature's calling
Super Mario 3D Land is one of the greatest Mario games ever and far better than New Super Mario Bros. The levels are short enough that it will fit into pretty much any block of time you can devote to it, but there are a ton of them and they get really hard towards the end. I can't recommend it highly enough.

Snake Eater is also excellent, but has a preponderance of extremely long cutscenes that might make it less suitable for quick play sessions on the go. Audio is also extremely important so it's not great for playing in loud or populated environments unless you have headphones.

The Ass Stooge fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Jul 30, 2015

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

Overemotional Robot
Mar 16, 2008

Robotor just hasn't been the same since 9/11...

100YrsofAttitude posted:

So having finished Majora's Mask, I'm not sure what to make my next big 3DS purchase.

I want a game with a lot of content but that I can play a bit each day since I won't really have the time to devote long blocks of time. MM was a bit a hassle because it's a game that plays better in long spurts I feel. I own Smash and AC which are both fine every now and then but I can't do them super regularly cause they're super repetitive.

I'm thinking of Mario 3D Land, Ocarina of Time, Fire Emblem, and/or MGS:3 Snakeater. I feel 3D Land might be the best but the last platformer I played (NSMB) did not hold my attention in the slightest. Ocarina of Time is fine except for the fact I've played it at least a dozen times now and I feel, that like MM, it would be best played in long spurts. I feel that MGS 3 would be the same thing, but it is a game I've always wanted to play (I've no idea how it handles on the 3DS). I've always liked the Fire Emblem series, but I haven't been able to replay any of them for a few years now since it all seemed a bit repetitive and I know I"m not going to pay it the slightest attention to the plot.

I guess I'm looking for an arcadey game but that has real staying power and holds attention over long periods of time.
I have a New 3DS if that matters at all.

Sir, have you ever considered Donkey Kong '94?

.TakaM
Oct 30, 2007

maybe consider the Professor Layton games?
It's the perfect kinda game to just make a little progress every so often, they do a good job catching you up on what happened since your last play session

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

The rear end Stooge posted:

Super Mario 3D Land is one of the greatest Mario games ever and far better than New Super Mario Bros. The levels are short enough that it will fit into pretty much any block of time you can devote to it, but there are a ton of them and they get really hard towards the end. I can't recommend it highly enough.
Echoing this, you can just play through to the end of the main worlds and be done with it, or really sink your teeth in and unlock everything and play a far longer game. It's a great game and a must-own for the system.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Overemotional Robot posted:

Sir, have you ever considered Donkey Kong '94?

Beat it back in the day. All 3 of them. Great SNES games.

.TakaM posted:

maybe consider the Professor Layton games?
It's the perfect kinda game to just make a little progress every so often, they do a good job catching you up on what happened since your last play session

I still have the DS ones to beat and I'm terrible at them. My girlfriend eats them up though. I wouldn't get one of these.

I think I'll be getting 3D Land. It seems to have a lot of content and is clearly fun. A good Mario game never fails to make me feel like a kid again and frankly that's why I buy and own Nintendo systems/games because nothing recaptures that sense of wonder and excitement like they do. Thanks for the advice! I'll eventually get the other ones at some point in the far-flung future but this is seems like a good start. If my finances allow it I'll pick up MGS just to have a nice long game to plug away at when I can put in a bit more time.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

100YrsofAttitude posted:

That's not what they're talking about. :)

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Did anyone mention that Terraria has officially been announced for 3DS? Optional touch controls, 4-player local multiplayer, out early 2016.

I can't imagine it'll port well to 3DS but at least they're trying.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

It'll work better on 3DS than Vita I gotta imagine. Have all the menu stuff on the bottom screen.

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

It was mentioned a while back, but just that there was going to be a port and not any specifics.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Did anyone mention that Terraria has officially been announced for 3DS? Optional touch controls, 4-player local multiplayer, out early 2016.

I can't imagine it'll port well to 3DS but at least they're trying.

Really? Seems like a no brainer and will probably be great, albeit without the mod options.

PBnJamo
Feb 11, 2014
It's a technical issue just like Binding of Issac. Despite how it looks, there's a substantial backend so it'll probably just run like crap. Wouldn't mind being wrong though.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

PBnJamo posted:

It's a technical issue just like Binding of Issac. Despite how it looks, there's a substantial backend so it'll probably just run like crap. Wouldn't mind being wrong though.

I dunno, there might be hope as long as Nicalis isn't involved. :v:

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
The Terraria devs are hardly the most competent people on the planet either.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
As far as I know, the console ports are by Engine Software, the Dutch company that made Terraria: Otherworld and did all the previous Terraria console ports. They have a decent technical track record with Nintendo hardware including 3DS, so it could be worse. (They're also doing the handheld versions of Mighty no.9, incidentally.)

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

~Coxy posted:

The Terraria devs are hardly the most competent people on the planet either.

I would trust an outside company to port the game before giving it to Redigit.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
JP faceplate #12345: Pokemon Super Mystery Dungeon!

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

That certainly is a thing I cannot use. Keep your filthy faceplates japan.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Best Buy is doing "buy one, get one 50% off" on 3DS games again, one day only: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?id=pcmcat396800050000&type=category

Xenoblade Chronicles 3D
Tomodachi Life
Super Smash Bros. for 3DS
Fossil Fighters Frontier
Yoshi's New Island
The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds
Animal Crossing: New Leaf
New Super Mario Bros. 2
Super Mario 3D Land
Puzzle & Dragons Z + Puzzle & Dragons: Super Mario Bros. Edition
Steel Diver
Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon
Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D
Pokemon Art Academy
The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask 3D
Pokemon Omega Ruby/Alpha Sapphire
Mario Kart 7
Pokemon X/Y
Codename S.T.E.A.M.
Kirby Triple Deluxe
Fantasy Life
Ultimate NES Remix

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~

Regy Rusty posted:

I hate FF job systems and it's why I didn't play Bravely Default

this is hosed up

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

Best Buy is doing "buy one, get one 50% off" on 3DS games again, one day only: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?id=pcmcat396800050000&type=category
My GF and I play a lot of ACNL together, but we're looking for a second game to play co-op. She doesn't like stressful games, what's a good option from this list? I assume Fantasy Life? Does Luigi's Mansion have good co-op?

Also can you set up items to be picked up in different stores?

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Fantasy Life is probably the best option, yeah. Tomodachi Life is also non-stressful but it's barely a game and more something you check in on every now and again like a tamagotchi.

Luigi's Mansion's multiplayer is a co-op dungeon crawler-type mode where you hunt ghosts in a randomly-generated tower, which sounds like it might be a little too action-y for her tastes.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE
I guess you could also wait for the Animal Crossing Home Designer game thingie. Except that isn't a co-op game.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.

100YrsofAttitude posted:

You should really check out Donkey Kong '94, which is a very different game than what you're thinking of.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Fantasy Life is really chill but from what I understand co-op is kinda limited: you can visit the other person's world but can't complete quests or change your Life, although you can still gather, gain exp, make stuff, etc. Which actually sounds more involved than Animal Crossing's co-op now that I think about it. Go for it! It's a great "step up" in terms of being more gamey and involved than AC while still being really unstressful.

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

Cool, thanks for the advice. She also wants to play Zelda: Triforce Heroes when it comes out with a third friend of ours, we might just wait till that.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

You should really check out Donkey Kong '94, which is a very different game than what you're thinking of.

It seems similar to Mario vs. Donkey Kong, which was a pretty fun game all told.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
If you've ever played any of the Mario vs. DK games and found yourself thinking "wow this would probably be fun if it wasn't so soulless and rote" you should probably get DK94.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

If you've ever played any of the Mario vs. DK games and found yourself thinking "wow this would probably be fun if it wasn't so soulless and rote" you should probably get DK94.

'Soulless and rote' describes them pretty well actually.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Ironfall Invasion is the new homebrew exploit game. It is free in the eshop. If you're interested in homebrew you might want to download it.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
ETA to getting pulled?

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
They can't really pull it just on the vague announcement of "hey, this game might be exploitable!" alone - the exploit is not released yet, exactly because it prolongs the takedown.

The only thing Nintendo can do is either try to sic some programmers of their own onto finding the exploit in Ironfall or wait until an exploit is released and confirmed to work before they pull it from the shop.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I've gotta say, the New 3DS is not designed for FPS games. I had to stick my nail into the nub to get the control I am used to.

.TakaM
Oct 30, 2007

maybe it will motivate the devs to fix Ironfall disabling the c-stick system-wide too

.TakaM fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Aug 1, 2015

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Do i wanna download update 1.1 of that game too, tho

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
I doubt it's relevant, or we would have heard either "DON'T GET THE UPDATE" or "GET THE UPDATE TOO"

If you wanna be safe, go ahead & download it, i hear you can just delete it separately later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
OK, so there is the extra step of "Have Ocarina of Time or Cubic Ninja" but after the install runs, the cartridge is no longer needed.