Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Antti posted:

Sixteen hours to go. I haven't been this excited for something since the Christmas mornings of my childhood.

Me too, I can't wait. I've been so depressed about American politics and Trump existing as the GOP presidential candidate to the point of actively avoiding reading this thread for the past several weeks that this new shitstorm is like a ray of sunlight in a sea of dark clouds.

Chances are good I'm going to be like that Michael Jackson gif meme with him eating popcorn and grinning in the movie theater the whole way through the town hall debate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

meristem
Oct 2, 2010
I HAVE THE ETIQUETTE OF STIFF AND THE PERSONALITY OF A GIANT CUNT.
Today at the debate it will be the first time since Pussygate that Trump will be in one room with people not willing to enable him, correct?

This election is awakening in me urges I didn't know I have. Like the urge to go on Twitter and post "Slay Queen." Or maybe "Drag him." I'm terrified. I think I may have absorbed a linguistic killshot.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Antti posted:

Sixteen hours to go. I haven't been this excited for something since the Christmas mornings of my childhood.
Man you must have had some hosed up Christmases as a child.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

There is a correlation there but they have cause/effect switched. Countries with greater racial diversity are more opposed to public benefits in general. It's a legit reason why America can't have nice things, but as always the problem is people bein' dicks, not stormfront science
Except it seems a lot of these Scandanavian nations are violently making GBS threads out their social welfare policies now that there's the ghost of a chance that Syrian refugees will benefit from them. It is a proud day to realize that despite all, America may just be the least racist developed country.

:911: 'merica

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Pakled posted:

But yeah, passing Constitiutional Amendments is hard and it'd almost certainly take that to overturn Citizens United or eliminate Gerrymandering through legislative means. I'm fine with letting the Supreme Court handle some of those things.
Just leave them open ended instead of with a self by date like a lot of earlier amendments. If the ERA had done that it would be law now.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax
Unfortunately this thread moves super fast these days, so I have no idea whether this has been posted before, but in any case it's worth reposting.

:siren: This is good journalism, you should read this :siren:

https://theintercept.com/series/code-of-silence/

"Two Chicago police officers uncovered a massive criminal enterprise within the department. Then they were hung out to dry."

It's a long series, 4 parts, but next to the Mother Jones investigation into the for-profit prison system it's among the best journalism I've come across this year.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Kinda laughing about everyone dancing around the simple fact that Juanita Broaddrick is a liar, and her accusations are untrue. It's really as simple as that.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

The Iron Rose posted:

Kinda laughing about everyone dancing around the simple fact that Juanita Broaddrick is a liar, and her accusations are untrue. It's really as simple as that.

Now that The Iron Rose has weighed in, I can finally rest easy about this issue

Tarantula
Nov 4, 2009

No go ahead stand in the fire, the healer will love the shit out of you.
This thread usually moves pretty quick so hopefully I won't miss the answer, my mum became a U.S citizen a few years ago, she was born in the states but has lived in Australia her whole life, she's not sure how to go about voting, I assume it's some sort of postal vote?

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

blue squares posted:

Now that The Iron Rose has weighed in, I can finally rest easy about this issue

:tipshat:

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Tarantula posted:

This thread usually moves pretty quick so hopefully I won't miss the answer, my mum became a U.S citizen a few years ago, she was born in the states but has lived in Australia her whole life, she's not sure how to go about voting, I assume it's some sort of postal vote?

Yes, but it's probably too late by now.

Ireallylikeeggs
Jul 29, 2003

The Iron Rose posted:

Innocent until proven guilty vs. the history of how rape has been handled the media/law/culture in general. It's lovely to be in that spot. "No, she's lying, just the one time, about a guy who is on my team" doesn't make it any easier. And the republicans certainly aren't going to let us forget Bill Clinton's arguably poor sexual ethics.

Tarantula
Nov 4, 2009

Well that's a bummer oh well thanks for the link, sorry goons I let you all down I had convinced her to vote democrat if it was possible.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

Tarantula posted:

Well that's a bummer oh well thanks for the link, sorry goons I let you all down I had convinced her to vote democrat if it was possible.

You could still contact the local embassy and make sure, there might be some emergency ballot or affidavit thing you can do.

Tarantula
Nov 4, 2009

Antti posted:

You could still contact the local embassy and make sure, there might be some emergency ballot or affidavit thing you can do.

Yea that might work, every vote against trump counts, and my mum only hears the second hand stuff about him and hates his guts.

HookedOnChthonics
Dec 5, 2015

Profoundly dull

2 Police Officers Fatally Shot in Palm Springs, Calif.

The New York Times posted:

The police in Palm Springs, Calif., are mourning two officers who were shot and killed on Saturday while responding to a call about a domestic disturbance. One of the victims was a young mother and the other a veteran months away from retirement.

:smith:

HookedOnChthonics fucked around with this message at 12:28 on Oct 9, 2016

Halman
Feb 10, 2007

What's the...Rush?

The Iron Rose posted:

God you're a piece of poo poo.

Yes, the woman who didn't want to be involved back in the 90s is totally just making things up for attention.

Stumiester
Dec 3, 2004

"Music expresses that which cannot be said and on which it is impossible to be silent."
I must say, as someone from the UK who saw his country make the worst decision in our version of Trump (Brexit), there is a certain pleasure in watching the same thing not happen over there. Also very jealous that you guys are not going to destroy the future of your country and end up with a semi-facist government like we did.

Perhaps it helps that in the US the racism/xenophobia/small mindedness/isolationism is embodied in one man and to a lesser extent party. In the referendum the parties were split and there was no individual who could be attacked in the same way, leaving instead an incredibly ill informed and terrible policy debate.

Chelb
Oct 24, 2010

I'm gonna show SA-kun my shitposting!
http://www.politico.com/story/2016/10/politico-morning-consult-poll-229394

quote:

A wave of Republican officials abandoned Donald Trump on Saturday, but, at least for now, rank-and-file Republicans are standing by the party's presidential candidate, according to a new POLITICO/Morning Consult poll conducted immediately after audio was unearthed Friday that had the GOP nominee crudely bragging about groping women and trying to lure a married woman into an affair.

Overall, fewer than four-in-10 voters -- 39 percent -- think Trump should end his presidential campaign, while only slightly more voters, 45 percent, think he should not drop out.

But voters are largely viewing Trump's comments through their own partisan lens: 70 percent of Democrats say Trump should end his campaign, but just 12 percent of Republicans -- and 13 percent of female Republicans -- agree.

quote:

A 74-percent majority of all voters had a negative reaction to the video – including 47 percent who said their feelings were a zero (very negative). But there’s a partisan element to voters’ reactions to the video: 69 percent of Democratic voters said they had a very negative impression after watching it, but only 22 percent of Republicans gave it a zero rating. Ten percent of Republicans said the video gave them a positive feeling.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Stumiester posted:

I must say, as someone from the UK who saw his country make the worst decision in our version of Trump (Brexit), there is a certain pleasure in watching the same thing not happen over there. Also very jealous that you guys are not going to destroy the future of your country and end up with a semi-facist government like we did.

Perhaps it helps that in the US the racism/xenophobia/small mindedness/isolationism is embodied in one man and to a lesser extent party. In the referendum the parties were split and there was no individual who could be attacked in the same way, leaving instead an incredibly ill informed and terrible policy debate.

Don't be too encouraged. Trump would be winning handily with UK demographics

Chelb
Oct 24, 2010

I'm gonna show SA-kun my shitposting!
I wonder how many of those 12-13% of Republican voters who think Trump should drop out will stay home instead of vote.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

BlueBlazer posted:

Hillary drinks? poo poo, she got my vote!

I'd super enjoy getting her tipsy then hearing her tell stories about the everyday bureaucratic bullshit she had to put up with during her term in the State Department, like maybe some story about a college intern loving up the documentation for an ambassador that could've led to an international controversy but was dealt with in a panicked scramble.

ltkerensky
Oct 27, 2010

Biggest lurker to ever lurk.
Has this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=27oxsxc4n8c been posted?

It's Colbert's reaction to the Trump pussy grabbing action audio tape.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible
The fact that Pence is not going to leave the Trump ticket robs us of the hilarity of this situation getting worse, but Pence needs to go down with this ship.

I'm guessing Priebus begged him to stay on to save the down ballot races, and prevent the party from descending even further into insanity. Pence was probably promised access to all of the biggest donors, and that not only will no one blame him, Priebus will let everyone know the great lengths he went to save the GOP from Trump, priming him for 2020.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

74% of voters getting pissed off at it, even if it's only 22 percent of Republicans getting mega-pissed, is BAD NEWS for Donny and explains why the GOP is in panic mode.

Withnail
Feb 11, 2004

Sing 'Positive Feeling' to the Marvin Gaye song and it sort of makes sense.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
http://www.infowars.com/expose-rapist-bill-clinton-win-5k/

NBC figures this may be why someone started heckling Bill yesterday.

an AOL chatroom
Oct 3, 2002

So what can we expect if Trump decides to go low and bring up Bill's alleged bimbo dicking? Will Hillary swat it to the ground and say it's not what they're here to debate, or has the DNC team been researching, refining, and market researching the perfect response to the point where she actually *hopes* it comes up?

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Hillary lunges at Trump, begins pulling on his face. His face falls off, revealing it was his mask and he is Bill Clinton.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

an AOL chatroom posted:

So what can we expect if Trump decides to go low and bring up Bill's alleged bimbo dicking? Will Hillary swat it to the ground and say it's not what they're here to debate, or has the DNC team been researching, refining, and market researching the perfect response to the point where she actually *hopes* it comes up?

The latter. If after getting 48 hours worth of shellacking for being a sex abuser his best idea is to attack his opponent's husband it can be brushed off as a desperation ploy and she can just turn it into a recap of all the horrible things Trump has said about women, not just this instance but all of them.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

Volcott posted:

http://www.infowars.com/expose-rapist-bill-clinton-win-5k/

NBC figures this may be why someone started heckling Bill yesterday.

Can't we just drone this guy?

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

botany posted:

Unfortunately this thread moves super fast these days, so I have no idea whether this has been posted before, but in any case it's worth reposting.

:siren: This is good journalism, you should read this :siren:

https://theintercept.com/series/code-of-silence/

"Two Chicago police officers uncovered a massive criminal enterprise within the department. Then they were hung out to dry."

It's a long series, 4 parts, but next to the Mother Jones investigation into the for-profit prison system it's among the best journalism I've come across this year.

This kind of thing is what should be brought up on each of those stupid "Respect the Badge" signs I keep seeing. That idiotic hero worship prevents us from stopping this and worse.

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring
https://twitter.com/HollettLA/status/784615898715983872

Pence 2020 - Steady as she goes!

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

an AOL chatroom posted:

"I am running for president, not my husband." is the warm-up for her chaos dunk.

smg77
Apr 27, 2007

an AOL chatroom posted:

I think Trump is going to come out swinging tonight and be completely unhinged but I doubt he will actually say anything that Hilary isn't anticipating and ready to respond to.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

I'd super enjoy getting her tipsy then hearing her tell stories about the everyday bureaucratic bullshit she had to put up with during her term in the State Department, like maybe some story about a college intern loving up the documentation for an ambassador that could've led to an international controversy but was dealt with in a panicked scramble.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

New polls! NBC/WSJ/MARIST (pre-tape)

Florida:

Clinton 45
Trump 42

Rubio 48%
Murphy 46%

Pennsylvania:

Clinton 49
Trump 37

Chaser:

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/785102728334893056

mannerup
Jan 11, 2004

♬ I Know You're Dying Trying To Figure Me Out♬

♬My Name's On The Tip Of Your Tongue Keep Running Your Mouth♬

♬You Want The Recipe But Can't Handle My Sound My Sound My Sound♬

♬No Matter What You Do Im Gonna Get It Without Ya♬

♬ I Know You Ain't Used To A Female Alpha♬

mannerup fucked around with this message at 12:50 on Oct 17, 2016

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

canepazzo posted:

New polls! NBC/WSJ/MARIST (pre-tape)

Florida:

Clinton 45
Trump 42

Pennsylvania:

Clinton 49
Trump 37

Chaser:

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/785102728334893056

God, he was dead even before he took this killshot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

he's got thinner skin than slim goodbody.

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Oct 9, 2016

• Locked thread