Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
gun people are completely insane

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
That said the guy talks about guns "being around" like it's a fact of life and that makes me think it's a cultural disconnect. I'm 32 and held a real gun once in my life.

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

Clearly the solution to an adult fuckwit doing irresponsible things with a gun is for others to teach a 2 year old to be responsible with them.

^Guns are fine and good, actually being super easy to keep around in a 100% safe way with minimal effort. But that, like so many other potentially dangerous things, assumes you don't do idiot things with them like leaving a loaded gun out for a 2 year old to play with.

Warbadger fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Aug 26, 2018

dudeness
Mar 5, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Fallen Rib
"There will always be situations we can’t predict or prepare for, so in the interest of safety we should teach everyone precautions even if they are unlikely to matter."

Rednik
Apr 10, 2005

]

Gibbon
Feb 22, 2004
chang chang!
Whenever a gun shows up on reddit you can expect a thousand gun guys to come along and talk about trigger discipline and how it was the first thing they were taught. Every loving time

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
I don't think it's a coincidence that gun people are going out of their way to be extra insane as rural America is literally crumbling into waste.

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

Judging from his responses it sounds like everyone is dunking on him for being a complete idiot with his gun and also blaming a 2 year old for it.

Karl Sharks
Feb 20, 2008

The Immortal Science of Sharksism-Fininism

/r/relationships: technically the 2 year old was the one who committed a crime.

Ligament
Jun 12, 2018
Biscuit Hider

zakharov posted:

*throws 2-year old in jail* HOPE YOU ROT IN THERE YOU PIECE OF poo poo

meet your new cell mate

don't do the crime if you can't do the time :toughguy:

CheesyDog
Jul 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Ligament posted:

meet your new cell mate

don't do the crime if you can't do the time :toughguy:

that baby is too white to get jail time for a gun crime

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I have a gun and regularly forget about it. They're not even all that fun.

Karl Sharks
Feb 20, 2008

The Immortal Science of Sharksism-Fininism

Ligament posted:

don't do the cryme if you can't do the time :toughguy:

c'mon it was right there

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

zakharov posted:

That said the guy talks about guns "being around" like it's a fact of life and that makes me think it's a cultural disconnect. I'm 32 and held a real gun once in my life.
People cultivate social groups that make them think everyone does/has the same things around that they do. Heavy drinkers tend to hang out with people who drink a lot, and assume that means everyone drinks as much as they do. Car geeks hang out with other people who value cars a lot, and assume that everyone must value cars as more than a way to get from point A to point B. Gun nuts hang out with people who always have guns around, and think that means guns are actually super common in everyone's lives.

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

zakharov posted:

Gun ownership and handling skills are things that parts of society have made largely optional. There are plenty of 32-year-olds who have never grown or killed their own food, baked their own bread, pumped their own gas, or mended their own clothes, too. Our educations are all incomplete.

iustorum_anime
Apr 4, 2016

I (28M) ruined my girlfriends (23F) family’s favorite movie and now they hate me

quote:

For the last year and a half I’ve been dating a girl I met through a friend. We get along extremely well- we both love movies, the same music, stand up comedians, I’m an avid filmmaker and she likes to edit- everything has been great. She’s not from around here and we decided to fly out and have me meet her family for the first time. It’s been going relatively well in my opinion, but tonight we decided to watch their favorite movie: The Fourth Kind. For those that don’t know, it’s an alien abduction movie that tries to act like all of the events are 110% true. I’d never seen it so they wanted to show me. Halfway through the movie her dad said something along the lines of “I wonder why this wasn’t a big deal when it happened?” To which I said “well the movie is fake- them saying the events were real is a bunch of poo poo.” Apparently for the last 10 or so years they’ve believed that the movie was true. The whole family immediately freaked out at me- her dad kicked me out of the house and now I’m waiting to fly back home a week and a half early. I’ve tried to call my girlfriend but she hasn’t said anything to me yet. What should I do to remedy the situation?

Grape Juice Vampire
Aug 1, 2009

chemtrail huffer posted:

I (28M) ruined my girlfriends (23F) family’s favorite movie and now they hate me

:psyduck:

There has to be more to this story.

dudeness
Mar 5, 2010

Fallen Rib
HAahahah, oh man.

I tried watching that movie several times and like each time I tried i got one layer deeper before turning it off. First time I got as far as Milla Jovavich introducing herself, 2nd time I got to whatever the second layer of framing device was and the 3rd time I finally got into the actual movie and just gave up after a few minutes.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

chemtrail huffer posted:

what the gently caress?

dudeness
Mar 5, 2010

Fallen Rib
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0OoJh50zubI

This is literally how the movie begins.

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

AKA: Orthonormal

chemtrail huffer posted:

Is his favorite movie the matrix? Because he just dodged a bullet without even trying.

Milotic
Mar 4, 2009

9CL apologist
Slippery Tilde
I think this man needs to as well:

My boyfriend (27M) still 'hangs out' with his friends really often. Am I (29F) acting ridiculous or is this kind of immature?

quote:

u/promisltell33
I really like my boyfriend but one thing kind of makes me think hes a bit... idk, immature? He has a big group of friends in his neighborhood that he has been friends with for a really long time. Its like an extended group of maybe 30 people, with about 8-10 of them being closer friends. He hangs out with them, a lot.

Like he sometimes just hangs out on his stoop with friends and shares a few beers, or he goes to the park with them to hang out and just do basically nothing, or he goes bike riding with them or goes to parties and bars with them etc. But most of the time they're just basically doing nothing, maybe watching television or listening to music or just talking, occasionally go out for coffee or something. We live in a dense, urban area in Brooklyn (Im from michigan) and it seems as if they all live relatively close and can meet up super easy. Its just weird, they hang out almost every day typically, maybe once every two days more often. Some of his friends are in their mid to late 20s and still skateboard. My boyfriend sometimes skateboards too, albeit not really often, he mostly bikes. It honestly, more than anything, reminds me of how people were in college, just constantly hanging out with each other in big groups. I never really did that stuff, I had a long term boyfriend back then.

Am I wrong to think that at his age, its a bit immature to still be doing stuff like that all the time? All of my friends back home are married, have careers, have kids, own homes etc and are genuinely adults meanwhile he still 'hangs out' constantly with his friends like hes some 18 year old or something. When I want to catch up with one of my friends when I go back home we meet up, get dinner or something. Like a professional, adult setting. We don't just 'hang out' constantly like we're teenagers or something and do nothing.

He also smokes pot and drinks a bit more than he should, but that's not really an issue, I smoke a tiny tiny bit too and his drinking isn't really bad at all. But still.

The thing is, he is relatively well off with his job, but his job also gives him a tremendous amount of free time. His friends are mostly struggling in one way or another, some live with their parents still.

Idk if I am just overreacting, or if this is specifically an urban versus suburban thing where people spend more time socializing in urban areas or something. Its weird to me that he does this. I like his friends, but I can't help but think hes a tiny bit immature in that regard. It doesn't directly bother me, but sometimes it just makes me think about his whole personality ya know? I mean he is 27 and is still hanging out on stoops, drinking beer, playing video games and stuff.

Am I just too like preppy or something for this? I cant tell if maybe I just live in a bubble and this is how most people his age are.

Just to be clear, I don't want to break up with him, I like him a LOT and its been a little over 15 months of dating.

Tl;DR - - My boyfriend still hangs out with his friends a lot and it makes me think hes immature.

Gibbon
Feb 22, 2004
chang chang!
I'm jealous of that guy, hopefully he works out she sucks

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
I totally agree that that child was clearly not properly educated on how dangerous guns are to handle. He managed to get a concealed-carry license anyway somehow, though. :v:

chemtrail huffer posted:

what on earth

this could be a "crazy inlaws" story but she took their side :psyduck: run for the hills

Milotic posted:

I think this man needs to as well:

My boyfriend (27M) still 'hangs out' with his friends really often. Am I (29F) acting ridiculous or is this kind of immature?

wait, they just, like... talk and enjoy each other's company, without concurrently consuming a professional adult dinner??? How completely childish

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Dude, ix-nay on the oice-vay.

CheesyDog posted:

that baby is too white to get jail time for a gun crime

Hey. That baby may be poor. You can't tell from the prison uniform.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

loquacius posted:

wait, they just, like... talk and enjoy each other's company, without concurrently consuming a professional adult dinner??? How completely childish
And some of them live with their parents! How absurd. :monocle: Please ignore that they live in one of the most expensive cities in the US & OP is from an inexpensive state.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

loquacius posted:

I totally agree that that child was clearly not properly educated on how dangerous guns are to handle. He managed to get a concealed-carry license anyway somehow, though. :v:

Ha, I was trying to write that joke in my head but you did it for me, thanks.

Also yes, that lady is being ridiculous.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Nah she's right about this part

quote:

this is specifically an urban versus suburban thing where people spend more time socializing in urban areas or something
I come from a small rural town, and by 27-29 everyone I knew in high school had like four kids and lives that revolved around their kids and their Walmart job and their church and MLM scams. Now I'm 31 in NYC and my friends here spend most of their time on relationships, serious jobs, art, hobbies, etc., and are barely even starting to think about kids. Like one couple I know has one kid, and the parents are in their late 30s. I'm 100000% on board with not having kids and focusing on my job, so I love it, but if she just dropped in from a rural area, it probably does seem really weird. She just has to be told it's a different timetable here.

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

My boyfriend has real friends he enjoys spending time with and not just acquaintances to catch up with and then ignore every few years, why is he so immature?

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

kdrudy posted:

My boyfriend has real friends he enjoys spending time with and not just acquaintances to catch up with and then ignore every few years, why is he so immature?
Yeah it's so weird how he can just walk 10 minutes and meet his friends at a park. Why doesn't he drive 30 minutes to the restaurant to meet and eat?

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

kdrudy posted:

He should be spending that time with meeeeeeee

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
I don't want to be that dude but I am having a hard time believing that any of this poo poo is real.

1) The alien abduction movie story, come on son. That poo poo either never happened, or what actually went down is the boyfriend repeatedly trashed their favorite movie until they got mad and told him to gently caress off.

2) The gun story with the kid just seems way too loving convenient. So this unknown dude packs heat at their house, no one notices? The kid somehow grabs the gun off the dude without him even waking up???? Fires the loving gun at his sibling, almost killing her, leaving a bullet hole in their house, and the parents don't even call the cops..? The dude with the gun isn't even remorseful. Okkk

3) The story about the guy hanging out with his friends is written exactly like someone who hates women would write the story. The OP goes out of her way to mention how the boyfriend is loving RAD in every single way. So he has tons of free time and makes good money, word? So he goes over for beers, and is social a lot, and is otherwise amazing? Meanwhile the woman is fulfilling the dumbest MGTOW stereotype ever by insisting that the only way that anyone should have relationships is in a formal dinner environment? This is some MTGOW fan fiction poo poo.

For some reason today's stories are overloading my bullshit detectors, but maybe it's just me.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

Taima posted:

2) The gun story with the kid just seems way too loving convenient. So this unknown dude packs heat at their house, no one notices? The kid somehow grabs the gun off the dude without him even waking up???? Fires the loving gun at his sibling, almost killing her, leaving a bullet hole in their house, and the parents don't even call the cops..? The dude with the gun isn't even remorseful. Okkk

men who carry guns are generally remorseless sociopaths whose only exposure to the world at large comes from ultraviolent media, eagerly awaiting their opportunity to put a slug in someone's back.

edit- so, yeah, that's not that hard to believe frankly. he probably has an extremely elaborate fantasy scenario playing out in his head which justifies his decision to either not holster it or holster it incorrectly. "when poo poo hits the fan that fraction of a second could be the difference between life or death" or some carbon copy thereabouts.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Inadequate safety training: this two year old didn't know how to properly identify and react to a firearm.

Well regulated militia: falling asleep on the couch with a loaded and unsecured gun that I didn't tell anyone I brought.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

Warbadger posted:

Clearly the solution to an adult fuckwit doing irresponsible things with a gun is for others to teach a 2 year old to be responsible with them.

^Guns are fine and good, actually being super easy to keep around in a 100% safe way with minimal effort. But that, like so many other potentially dangerous things, assumes you don't do idiot things with them like leaving a loaded gun out for a 2 year old to play with.
Yeah like, my dad has guns, safely and securely locked away, and when I was about 10 he handed me an unloaded gun to hold and gave me a lecture on how guns weren't toys and that if I had a gun, I should never point it at anything I wasn't okay with shooting, even if I was sure it was unloaded. That was the only time I've held any of his guns. I couldn't have gotten at them even if I'd wanted to, which is how it should be.

A two year old isn't going to UNDERSTAND a lecture on gun safety. You can't teach a two year old to be responsible with a gun.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

Taima posted:

3) The story about the guy hanging out with his friends is written exactly like someone who hates women would write the story. The OP goes out of her way to mention how the boyfriend is loving RAD in every single way. So he has tons of free time and makes good money, word? So he goes over for beers, and is social a lot, and is otherwise amazing? Meanwhile the woman is fulfilling the dumbest MGTOW stereotype ever by insisting that the only way that anyone should have relationships is in a formal dinner environment? This is some MTGOW fan fiction poo poo.

I dunno about this. We all had parents right? How often do you recall them just chilling with people 5 days a week? OP is from a less dense area where people settle down sooner to raise families so the idea that there's someone pushin 30 that has an excess of leisure time to smoke weed and skateboard in the park with their friends every other day prolly comes across to her as arrested development. She's notably asking if she's being weird about it, not like recanting stories of their fights or such it's just unusual to her and that's not really that surprising.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

chemtrail huffer posted:

lol i was hoping that the movie would turn out to be like the Blues Brothers and when the boyfriend reveals that it's not depicting true events they not only kick him out but also throw beer bottles at him until he leaves

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

PetraCore posted:

A two year old isn't going to UNDERSTAND a lecture on gun safety. You can't teach a two year old to be responsible with a gun.
The second redditor I quoted kept parroting "you need to teach them not to touch any guns they see & to go find an adult", as if a two year old would never let their curiosity get the better of them. Or they might just forget, or think they're being helpful by bringing the gun to an adult, or any of the millions of other things that could go wrong because they're two years old.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

Haifisch posted:

The second redditor I quoted kept parroting "you need to teach them not to touch any guns they see & to go find an adult", as if a two year old would never let their curiosity get the better of them. Or they might just forget, or think they're being helpful by bringing the gun to an adult, or...
Two year olds are basically less airborne parrots. Does a parrot have impulse control? No. I rest my case.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

My boyfriend successfully arranged his life so that he can live it the way he wants and is living the loving dream holy poo poo, am I wrong for thinking he's less of an adult?