Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

An observer posted:

Nah, I'm a woman, it's just rheumatoid arthritis. It was kinda depressing me for a while thinking I may not be able to find a way around it, but now I know better. Thanks guys!

When a one armed dude is able to be a motorcycle messenger, you can ride with arthritis. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

An observer
Aug 30, 2008

where the stars are drowning and whales ferry their vast souls through the black and seamless sea
Yeah, no kidding, that's one of the reasons I really like motorcycles (also, everything else about them). There's even a site that aggregates the stories of multiple amputees that found ways around everything and have been riding for like 20 years. :allears:

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Also: User LeftyChris rides a 'busa with one arm iirc..

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free
:911::911::911:

Geirskogul posted:

Nothing against good aftermarket R/R units at all. I built my own because A: I'm poor, B: I had most of the parts and all of the knowledge needed to do it and C: I'm poor. Even then, though, I overbuild the poo poo out of anything I replace. That's why my entire motorcycle has no less then 16 gauge wire running through it (most 12 or 14) with soldered, weatherproof connectors and wrap on everything. Also, the color-coding now makes sense.

Ain't no shame in this game. You're better off understanding the inner workings and learning that the joke's on the rest of us for paying $150+ for a black box with 14 cents worth of components inside.

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho

An observer posted:

Yeah, no kidding, that's one of the reasons I really like motorcycles (also, everything else about them). There's even a site that aggregates the stories of multiple amputees that found ways around everything and have been riding for like 20 years. :allears:

I rode with a 'nam vet that had both his legs amputated right above the knee. he had modified the gearshift and linked the front and rear brakes. I go offroading with a guy who's only got control over his right arm and he drives a monstrous 600hp Pre-runner.

Some of these guys are downright amazing.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

An observer posted:

If you need something custom, let me know and I'll do my best to help out. If I can't make the parts myself, I can find someone who can.

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

Z3n posted:

If you need something custom, let me know and I'll do my best to help out. If I can't make the parts myself, I can find someone who can.

I don't know about the US but over here we have a great disabilities arm (heh) of the government who have an amazing wealth of expertise in adjusting all kinds of vehicles for all kinds of disabilities.

Can't hurt to ask around. :)

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho
I'm fairly confident CA could get almost anyone that had at least a functional limb riding. Everyone here loves to ride and wants other people to share in that love. Between all of us in the hivemind I'm sure we could figure something out.

Frankie!
Apr 1, 2006
Ceci n'est pas un titre....
So I bought an '85 Fz 750. It's in pretty good shape, and from the looks of it has not suffered anything more than cosmetic damage throughout its life. Since I have access to an entire shopful of tools and painting supplies and crap, I'm thinking I will try and pimp it back up streetfighter style. Anything major I should look out for?

An observer
Aug 30, 2008

where the stars are drowning and whales ferry their vast souls through the black and seamless sea
Thanks for the help with my bodily malfeasance. I've wanted a bike since I was 14, and I'm finally counting down the months. So excited :buddy:

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Geirskogul posted:

Nothing against good aftermarket R/R units at all. I built my own because A: I'm poor, B: I had most of the parts and all of the knowledge needed to do it and C: I'm poor. Even then, though, I overbuild the poo poo out of anything I replace. That's why my entire motorcycle has no less then 16 gauge wire running through it (most 12 or 14) with soldered, weatherproof connectors and wrap on everything. Also, the color-coding now makes sense.

Pics? Maybe you can sell these.

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

This beard just won't do!
Total newbie here.

I bought my first bike, a Kawasaki KZ650 . Previous owner claims to have it bored out to 750. What other components does this affect? Now say something goes wrong or needs to be replaced, do I troubleshoot with the specs of a 650 or a 750?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

darkhand posted:

Total newbie here.

I bought my first bike, a Kawasaki KZ650 . Previous owner claims to have it bored out to 750. What other components does this affect? Now say something goes wrong or needs to be replaced, do I troubleshoot with the specs of a 650 or a 750?

The only change would have been the pistons and cylinders, and ideally the jetting. Do you have any concrete proof that this was done? Because otherwise it's highly unlikely it was.

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

This beard just won't do!
I figured it was BS, it wasn't really a selling point to me so it doesn't matter either way. He seemed pretty knowledgeable though, I don't know for sure yet.

He said the blocks were the same for the KZ650s to 900s of that era('78), they just bored them different sizes. I have no idea how much of that is BS. I'll also add that this is Texas and stories about Cousin Bubba boring out an engine is common smalltalk 'round here :banjo:

darkhand fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Feb 28, 2012

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

darkhand posted:

I figured it was BS, it wasn't really a selling point to me so it doesn't matter either way. He seemed pretty knowledgeable though, I don't know for sure yet.

He said the blocks were the same for the KZ650s to 900s of that era('78), they just bored them different sizes. I have no idea how much of that is BS. I'll also add that this is Texas and stories about Cousin Bubba boring out an engine is common smalltalk 'round here :banjo:

The PO is right, a lot of older UJM motors are pretty much modular and just have different barrels.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

What more than likely happened, rather than going through the trouble of boring cylinders is that the 650 pistons and cylinders just got swapped for 750 items.

Occams razor and all

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

TWO HUNDRED AND FIFTY CUBIC CENTIMETERS

An observer posted:

Yep. Where there's a will there's a way.

Brett Cole has 1 arm and races WERA (Expert, at that)

Here's another local fellow; he's disabled from the waist-down. Does trackdays too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J7I16bPQM24

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009
Has anyone ever cleaned carbs with Pine-Sol? I've heard good things about it, especially that it does a good job of cleaning without loving anything up. I have a set of RD400 carbs that need a good dip so I can get the latest project fired up this weekend. Alternatively, I was thinking about getting a cheap ultrasonic cleaner and I suppose I could always get a bucket of Gunk.

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho

Yerok posted:

Has anyone ever cleaned carbs with Pine-Sol? I've heard good things about it, especially that it does a good job of cleaning without loving anything up. I have a set of RD400 carbs that need a good dip so I can get the latest project fired up this weekend. Alternatively, I was thinking about getting a cheap ultrasonic cleaner and I suppose I could always get a bucket of Gunk.

I believe Adv rider has a good write up on it. Google it and they should pop up.

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

for sale custom bike over a billion invested

College Slice

Yerok posted:

It works really well, but find the right dilution for it. I want to say that it's 1:6 pinesol to water, but I'm not positive.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

ADV Pine-Sol thread - http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=560117

I've used it a few times and it works great for larger real filthy stuff because it is cheap. I use it straight when scrubbing with a toothbrush or something, half strength or lower if I'm soaking something over night.

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009
Actually the ADV Rider thread was how I heard about it. I was just hoping someone could shed some light on what dilution to use. I've heard a lot of different answers including 1:2 and straight Pine-Sol. I'm going to soak the carbs for roughly 12-18 hours then scrub them out and blast them with compressed air. Would 1:2 be alright for a shorter soak like that?

Kilersquirrel
Oct 16, 2004
My little sister is awesome and bought me this account.
That's s neat trick, though I would avoid using anything but distilled/RO water to do the soak with to avoid the chances of mineral deposits screwing up a spray pattern or clogging some tiny delicate little passageway. Tap *might* not have enough minerals in it to cause an issue but why not spend the $1.80 for a few gallons to erase the chance.
Plus you always need distilled for something when you've got vehicles, and drat if you're not always fresh out when it's needed or at least extremely inconvenient not to have it.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
I've worked on vehicles a bunch and have never needed distilled water. What am I missing?

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho

Ziploc posted:

I've worked on vehicles a bunch and have never needed distilled water. What am I missing?

I use distilled for coolant etc. Mix it with some water wetter or 50/50 with antifreeze.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Anyone sewed conductive thread into their glove fingertips, and any tips if so?

On that note, anyone need some conductive thread? The site I got it from had a minimum of 85 feet...

Also, while I'm asking, if anyone happens to order something from http://easternbeaver.com any time soon and wouldn't mind tacking on something to the order, please let me know. I'll pay shipping etc. of course. I need a connector (http://easternbeaver.com/Main/Elec__Products/Connectors/NT-040/nt-040.html) that costs 2.50 and the minimum order is 20 bucks. I haven't been able to find that connector anywhere else and there's nothing else I need at the site to meet that 20 bucks. I'll probably end up just getting some aftermarket connectors but I was trying to stick with what came on the bike.

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho

nsaP posted:

Anyone sewed conductive thread into their glove fingertips, and any tips if so?

On that note, anyone need some conductive thread? The site I got it from had a minimum of 85 feet...

Also, while I'm asking, if anyone happens to order something from http://easternbeaver.com any time soon and wouldn't mind tacking on something to the order, please let me know. I'll pay shipping etc. of course. I need a connector (http://easternbeaver.com/Main/Elec__Products/Connectors/NT-040/nt-040.html) that costs 2.50 and the minimum order is 20 bucks. I haven't been able to find that connector anywhere else and there's nothing else I need at the site to meet that 20 bucks. I'll probably end up just getting some aftermarket connectors but I was trying to stick with what came on the bike.

Go look on Amazon for conductive thread. You can get it much smaller sizes, just be picky and look for reviews. Some are not really conductive.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Already got some from another site actually, I found amazon to be expensive. But what I was saying that part of getting it at another site is that I have 85 feet of it now, and I can't imagine using more than 2 feet a finger, even trimming a lot off.

So I was offering it to others

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho

nsaP posted:

Already got some from another site actually, I found amazon to be expensive. But what I was saying that part of getting it at another site is that I have 85 feet of it now, and I can't imagine using more than 2 feet a finger, even trimming a lot off.

Oh sorry, I misread your original post then.

An observer
Aug 30, 2008

Out of curiosity, are there any kind of mirrors that universally suck/are universally awesome?

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho

An observer posted:

Out of curiosity, are there any kind of mirrors that universally suck/are universally awesome?

Napolean bar ends are bitching for sport bikes. I'm not sure about cruisers/standards, I wouldn't put them on a DS though because you WILL drop it and break them.

vs Dinosaurs
Mar 14, 2009

nsaP posted:

I'm sure it isn't as permanent but thermal paste people use on (processors?) will also work if you allow it to dry on a glove finger tip. May or may not be cheaper, not sure.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
On an old '70s 2-stoke, the gearbox oil can pretty much just be 20w50 motorcycle oil right? I don't have a manual for this thing but I figure if it's safe for a wet clutch it's A-OK.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Basically, yeah. Old two strokes care very little about whats in the gearbox.

Kilersquirrel
Oct 16, 2004
My little sister is awesome and bought me this account.

Ziploc posted:

If you use water with mineral content in your coolant, over time you can develop mineral crusting/blockages and also cause redox reactions that corrode the insides of your cooling system(2 different metals in a charged solution = electricity = corrosion).

If you use water with mineral content in your battery, you're essentially adding very dilute baking soda to the acid, which is bad for both lifetime and cranking power.

Sir Cornelius
Oct 30, 2011

clutchpuck posted:

On an old '70s 2-stoke, the gearbox oil can pretty much just be 20w50 motorcycle oil right? I don't have a manual for this thing but I figure if it's safe for a wet clutch it's A-OK.

Correct.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

Kilersquirrel posted:

If you use water with mineral content in your coolant, over time you can develop mineral crusting/blockages and also cause redox reactions that corrode the insides of your cooling system(2 different metals in a charged solution = electricity = corrosion).

If you use water with mineral content in your battery, you're essentially adding very dilute baking soda to the acid, which is bad for both lifetime and cranking power.

I buy premix coolant for my car. Which also has a sealed AGM batter. I don't feel so dumb anymore. :v:

BitcoinRockefeller
May 11, 2003

God gave me my money.

Hair Elf
Are stainless steel brake lines worth getting if I am just using my bike on the road? If they feel a lot better under normal use vs stock lines I think I might get some, but if it's only something that will be useful on the track I could do without.

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho

NinjaCthulhu posted:

Are stainless steel brake lines worth getting if I am just using my bike on the road? If they feel a lot better under normal use vs stock lines I think I might get some, but if it's only something that will be useful on the track I could do without.

I didn't notice a huge change when I went to SS lines on the R1. Any benefit I felt could also have been attributed to maybe having had some air in the previous lines. All in all, if you need new lines sure go SS but if you're replacing good lines I wouldn't bother personally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

NinjaCthulhu posted:

Definitely worth it if your stock rubber lines are a few years old. You'd be surprised how you dont notice how spongy they get over the years.