Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
redstormpopcorn
Jun 10, 2007
Aurora Master
Any word on if/when the Droid Turbo is due at Costco?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

My Verizon Droid MAXX with case, Nokia wireless charger, airdock and more for $275 OBO in SA Mart:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3692192

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy

redstormpopcorn posted:

Any word on if/when the Droid Turbo is due at Costco?

We've had it but Costco only ordered 1700 for the entire country and we haven't received another order since.

:iiam:

Favorabilis Solitud
May 18, 2006
And that's the way it was.
I don't have cable and don't see ads but from a Verizon standpoint, I haven't seen better...marketing from a phone than the turbo.

1) It is the only time I ever heard of a company willing to replace a phone with a busted screen under warranty. That just doesn't happen.

2) They sold a limited number to employees at discount with free accessories.

3) If you upgraded before July, you qualified to upgrade to a Turbo...period. Last day of August? You qualified.

So the last 2 adds up to probably 20-30% of employees at our center with turbos. I have one, and I get asked about what phone I use and ...welp I have a turbo.

4) It is the best phone out there for its class. You could argue the Note 4 but the Note 4 is a phablet. It could go either way, but the turbo is cheaper than a lot and BETTER.

I am going to give it up for a Iphone 6 just to learn the 6 and I will miss it.

Sirbloody
Aug 21, 2005

Don't fuck with the Rabbi!
Can anyone recommend a good Mifi/Hotspot/Jetpack thing for a dedicated line that has unlimited data? I am currently using my old Droid RAZR for my main internet at the house since it's 10x faster then WindStream (2-3 computers, PS4, multiple tablets, me and my wife do a lot of gaming). I use the official Verizon Hotspot service and I am wondering if I can just use a Mifi instead of the phone for my main internet in my house.

I am scared of doing anything to that line to cause me to lose my unlimited data...

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

This http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0089P1RIM/ref=pd_aw_sims_1?pi=AC_SX230_QL60 takes a micro sim like the Razr so you would just use your current one. No fuss. It will work

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy

Sirbloody posted:

Can anyone recommend a good Mifi/Hotspot/Jetpack thing for a dedicated line that has unlimited data? I am currently using my old Droid RAZR for my main internet at the house since it's 10x faster then WindStream (2-3 computers, PS4, multiple tablets, me and my wife do a lot of gaming). I use the official Verizon Hotspot service and I am wondering if I can just use a Mifi instead of the phone for my main internet in my house.

I am scared of doing anything to that line to cause me to lose my unlimited data...

Do you want me to give you the same answer I gave you over PMs last week in this thread?

http://www.amazon.com/Novatel-Jetpack-Mobile-Hotspot-Verizon/dp/B00DF8835I/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1420564655&sr=8-1&keywords=5510l

or the one DangerZoneDelux posted will work

Sirbloody
Aug 21, 2005

Don't fuck with the Rabbi!

FordPRefectLL posted:

Do you want me to give you the same answer I gave you over PMs last week in this thread?

http://www.amazon.com/Novatel-Jetpack-Mobile-Hotspot-Verizon/dp/B00DF8835I/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1420564655&sr=8-1&keywords=5510l

or the one DangerZoneDelux posted will work

I forgot about that PM (I get them so very infrequently). Thank you for the information!

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

gawrsh do you think any women will be there

So the Droid Turbo is pretty much never getting Lollipop at this point, right?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

You don't want lollipop. (yet)

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Jan 6, 2015

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

bull3964 posted:

You don't want lollipop. (yet)
Real talk. You can't even receive calls because a memory leak kills the dialer after a few hours. http://www.dailytech.com/Nasty+Memory+Leak+in+Android+Lollipops+Rendering+Engine+is+Killing+Apps/article37037.htm

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

My mom went and dropped her phone in the toilet, none of the usual tricks revived it. Whats the go-to cheap android touchscreen phone for older folks these days?

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Just get a $200 moto X (this one says it's the Verizon one), provided you aren't up for an upgrade.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/221615904795?rmvSB=true

lostleaf
Jul 12, 2009
Work gave me a bunch of money for me to buy an iphone. But I'm super cheap and don't really like apple so I want to buy a used iphone off of craigslist. I have a few questions if anyone can help.

Other than verifying a clean ESN, what other steps do I have to do to not get ripped off?
Is it possible to purchase applecare for a used phone?
Also on craiglist, several ads report that the iphone is icloud locked. What does that mean?

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

lostleaf posted:

Work gave me a bunch of money for me to buy an iphone. But I'm super cheap and don't really like apple so I want to buy a used iphone off of craigslist. I have a few questions if anyone can help.

Other than verifying a clean ESN, what other steps do I have to do to not get ripped off?
Verify it does not have active service, or is under a payment plan that hasn't been fulfilled. They could screw you by failing to pay the bill, or reporting it stolen, which will result in the phone being blacklisted. If you're buying on Craigslist your best bet is to meet the seller at a phone shop and pay them when the phone is successfully put on your account.

quote:

No.

quote:

Also on craiglist, several ads report that the iphone is icloud locked. What does that mean?
It means that "find my iPhone" is turned on, and the phone cannot be used without the original owner's Apple ID password. If you see one like this on Craigslist or eBay, it means it's highly likely it's a stolen phone.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

So the Droid Turbo is pretty much never getting Lollipop at this point, right?

It will come, I have faith!

lostleaf
Jul 12, 2009

Thanks exactly what I needed

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

lostleaf posted:

Save yourself the headache and use swappa.

lostleaf
Jul 12, 2009

JayKay posted:

Save yourself the headache and use swappa.

Not trying to be a jerk because I genuinely want to know. How is swappa safer?

Incompl
Mar 23, 2008

Not sure if this question is applicable here, but figured I'd ask:

I'm currently getting a company discount from a company I left 3 months ago. Am I supposed to remove this, or does Verizon remove it for me? Basically, I am responsible for this, or is somebody else?

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

Lol why would you do anything? They aren't going to notice and then demand you pay them back the difference.

I have a number that has unlimited talk text and data. Dropped that sim into a mifi and it's a dedicated hotspot. It's been a year since Verizon gave it to me for marketing research and it's still activated. I'm sure your work discount will be ok

Incompl
Mar 23, 2008

Yeah I figured. Free money ftw

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

Trisk posted:

better reception
Im a weird throwback that uses a phone for actual phone calls. Hows the sound (and the mic for people on the other end)?

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

lostleaf posted:

Not trying to be a jerk because I genuinely want to know. How is swappa safer?

They do the homework for you and you can't get robbed/shot/stabbed by some random CL weirdo.

quote:

From their FAQ
Buying on Swappa is safe and easy.

It's safe because we don't allow junk devices and we review and approve all listings before they can be bought. The verification process includes running ESN checks and requiring the seller to post verification photos to prove device ownership.

While selling on Swappa is free, buyers pay a small sale fee that is already included in the displayed price.

On Swappa we use PayPal for payments because they provide extensive buyer and seller protections. Many (most) sellers require buyers to have a PayPal confirmed shipping address to buy more maximum protections.

I've purchased and sold multiple phones on Swappa without issue. Many other goons have had the same experience.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Incorrect.

You can buy applecare for a used device so long as its still under the manufacture warranty or some poo poo. We're in the process of actually swapping an iPhone that was bought "used" on ebay in an apple store thats still under warranty. We also have the option to add applecare to it.

So. Maybe would be a good answer there?

And by we I mean customers. This is also being handled via apple, not verizon.

EbolaIvory fucked around with this message at 09:28 on Jan 9, 2015

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

EbolaIvory posted:

Incorrect.

You can buy applecare for a used device so long as its still under the manufacture warranty or some poo poo. We're in the process of actually swapping an iPhone that was bought "used" on ebay in an apple store thats still under warranty. We also have the option to add applecare to it.

So. Maybe would be a good answer there?

You have 90 days from original purchase (i.e. Apple Store or authorized retailer) to add it and the phone has to be inspected.

https://www.apple.com/support/products/iphone.html

Edit: You may have to provide proof of purchase also however I didn't have to when I purchased AppleCare for my 5 and my wife's 5S.

Of course since Apple's customer service is top notch, they could possibly add it after 90 days.

JayKay fucked around with this message at 09:33 on Jan 9, 2015

GUYS STOP
Jun 7, 2003
Grimey Drawer

Incompl posted:

Yeah I figured. Free money ftw
If you want to you can call VZW and ask that they remove it. If you don't we don't really care until you are required to verify employment at some time in the future. If you can not verify it gets removed.

Verification happens "periodically" which means whenever we feel like it but in practice not much more than every few years.

We started this verification process something like a year and a half ago and quickly found removing someone's discount even if they are not entitled to it anymore is akin to stuffing rabid wolverines down your pants from a customer service perspective.

Favorabilis Solitud
May 18, 2006
It is weird, the calls regarding situations that I would have a hard time with if I were in their shoes are easy. It is the irrational poo poo where people freak the gently caress out at me. IE: Removing an employee discount from when they didn't have a job, not getting a loyalty discount because their plan is below 35 dollars, demanding credits because IMESSAGING isn't working, etc.

Incompl
Mar 23, 2008

this sweet move posted:

If you want to you can call VZW and ask that they remove it. If you don't we don't really care until you are required to verify employment at some time in the future. If you can not verify it gets removed.

Verification happens "periodically" which means whenever we feel like it but in practice not much more than every few years.

We started this verification process something like a year and a half ago and quickly found removing someone's discount even if they are not entitled to it anymore is akin to stuffing rabid wolverines down your pants from a customer service perspective.

Cool, thanks for the info. That's what it seemed like from my quick google searched but figured there was a Verizon rep in here somewhere ;)

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

JayKay posted:

You have 90 days from original purchase (i.e. Apple Store or authorized retailer) to add it and the phone has to be inspected.

https://www.apple.com/support/products/iphone.html

Edit: You may have to provide proof of purchase also however I didn't have to when I purchased AppleCare for my 5 and my wife's 5S.

Of course since Apple's customer service is top notch, they could possibly add it after 90 days.

Heres the thing though.

If apple replaces the device under warranty in year one you get device #2, which is now available for applecare.

Also, if you take a device in that would be covered by applecare but Dont have it, typically they will allow a "we'll just buy it real fast and use it" sorta thing. Not always, but every time myself or anybody I know who's done it has had no problems. So who knows.

Lastly, I've had no problem calling apple and purchasing it over the phone a couple of times on iPhones outside of 90 days.

Am I just some ultra lucky person?

CancerStick
Jun 3, 2011

CancerStick posted:

Billing question. Can some of the experts here break down my bill to see if there are better options for our family share plan.

Monthly Charges: $254.94
Usage and Purchase Charges: $1.99
Verizon Wirelss Surcharges and Other Charges and Credits: $10.52
Taxes, Governmental Surcharges & Fees: $12.35
Total: $279.80

Nationwide TLK&TXT Share 700: $80.00
Line 1: $52.60 2GB Data Allowance (Uses <1 GB) (Droid Razr M, Upg Date: 2/7/15)
Line 2: $55.59 Unlimited Data (Uses 6-8 GB) (Moto X (2013), Upg Date: 3/18/16)
Line 3: $52.60 2GB Data Allowance (Uses <1 GB) (Galaxy S4, Upg Date: 8/16/15)
Line 4: $24.72 PAYU MB with EVDO; this has a data usage block on it that must stay (Samsung Brightside, Upg Date: 3/18/16)
Line 5: $14.29 No Data (LG Env 3, Upg Date: 1/4/15)

Lines 1-4 have Asurion insurance included.

Let me know if there is anything I am forgetting.

That Line 5 is up for an upgrade and I am planning on transferring the upgrade to my unlimited Line 2. I have finally accepted losing unlimited. Quick questions. I won't gently caress up Line 5 by transferring right? Also, are there any deals on GB. Is that 6GB Maxx thing applicable here sicne I don't use Edge? That is the only thing that may prevent me from upgrading.

anne frank fanfic
Oct 31, 2005
Can you use a blackberry without a data plan on verizon? Just text/talk?

Deep Winter
Mar 26, 2010

anne frank fanfic posted:

Can you use a blackberry without a data plan on verizon? Just text/talk?

No (current) plan lacks data. You'd either do a $60 single line month-to-month plan or $45 prepaid.

anne frank fanfic
Oct 31, 2005

Deep Winter posted:

No (current) plan lacks data. You'd either do a $60 single line month-to-month plan or $45 prepaid.

I'm in a grandfathered plan without data, would it work or would they force me to update and pay more or whatever, if you know?

Deep Winter
Mar 26, 2010

anne frank fanfic posted:

I'm in a grandfathered plan without data, would it work or would they force me to update and pay more or whatever, if you know?

I'm almost positive the system automatically gives you a 2gig data plan for $30/month.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

Hypothetical here: if I were to put insurance on my note 4 tomorrow, and then it were to fall off a cliff while I was hiking Wednesday, how suspicious would Verizon/asurion be?

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

The Bananana posted:

Hypothetical here: if I were to put insurance on my note 4 tomorrow, and then it were to fall off a cliff while I was hiking Wednesday, how suspicious would Verizon/asurion be?

Just put it on now...

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

EbolaIvory posted:

Just put it on now...

Can't. Open enrollment starts tomorrow.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

The Bananana posted:

Oh. Well then tomorrow.

As long as you Dont act like a moron it won't matter. Just make sure you actually lost the device and it won't be found.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Favorabilis Solitud
May 18, 2006

The Bananana posted:

The device must show usage of some kind between when insurance is added and the claim is made.

• Locked thread