Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Coolguye posted:

you are confusing the Nova's Shank for the Cavity. the Cavity is a 9mm shooty iron.

No, I'm def not, the Cavity was the folding single shot rifle that was goddamn amazing at the time but drastically outshone by the sheer utility and awesome of the buzzer, since you could just stunlock a motherfucker.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wastrel_
Jun 3, 2004

Read it and weep.
All the melee weapons save those that can stun enemies are worthless on Mayhem and above, anyway. The huge increases in enemy health saw to that.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Fellis posted:

Did they mention SA by name as a positive community? That would be awesome as people around here have always been overall positive about this game over the years, in really stark contrast to how negative whiny steam forums and reddit has been. I've always hoped that was noticed somehow, but between obscurity and paywall, i didn't really think it was.

Aside from Wilko joining overkill recently of course.

Naw, like I said, no specific communities were mentioned, aside from a quick insert about Reddit and I think their own forums, detailing how they did things like ask players to ask devs or representatives for codes for a certain event. The talk was more generally about their community as a whole, how to deal with us/them and how inspiring it is to see people providing fanart, hype and excitement for the devteam in general. I think mentioning a specific community in general as being better or particularly awesome would've ruffled some feathers. But they did go into things they actually loved, like the people who provide negative feedback on balance issues they need to address and how to make an even better game, something SA has done in the past. They didn't go into details on the more awful bits of , as you mentioned, Steam or Reddit, although they did mention a few examples of feedback that was negative in a way which wasn't helpful which they turned into something positive by collaborating with the community.

I got the feeling that beyond the bigger missteps of balance (an issue that was adressed more in a different lecture entirely by a man from DICE), most of the problems in the game over the years has stemmed from their production schedule: Since they have to keep producing more content really quickly to keep players playing, and the whole ownership problem that happened a while back, they just haven't had the time to do a proper balance overhaul with the resources at hand. But that isn't his words, just what I read into what he was saying at the talk.

swims
May 5, 2014

Waiter, this band keeps shooting pearls at me.
Did this lecture specifically mention something awful forums payday 2 console players :smug:

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

swims posted:

Did this lecture specifically mention something awful forums payday 2 console players :smug:

Yes, they're all scrubs.

(No).

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

Drewjitsu posted:

That sounds awesome. What do you need to do?

Overkill, Frenzerk and the +damage shotgun skills. I was using basic silent killer but I'm not sure that +15% actually gets you to any different breakpoints. In the end I wound up ditching silencer skills cuz 2.4x damage vs. 2.55x damage isn't a big enough change and the build is rather starved for points.

ninjaiguana
Aug 1, 2009

Holy shit! I have a tail?!
So it's been a looooooooong time since I played last. New skill trees, check. What're the breakpoints you should aim for on weapons these days now that all the numbers have changed?

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

OK has the same breakpoints, but Mayhem and up have tons more health. Look for the long guide, it has a link to a breakpoints table.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

swims posted:

What sort of masochist still plays Payday 2 on console?

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
after playing Let It Die for the past week or so, when's the LID dlc that gives us either uncle death or one of the jackals as characters, in addition to a heist based on the first real boss of the game

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
So like, is Death Vox a mod I can download or is Vox just theorycrafting?

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Theorycrafting/thread joke/griping about poor difficulty design. I will probably be involved with a way, way less ambitious rebalance-y mod sometime in the new year.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Is there a reason people don't use Body Expertise? Is it because once you have a gun with good stats you can achieve the same result by aiming better? I used it for that firestarter unmodified AK and para challenge, it was great. Especially with the armor penetration skill.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
It's really expensive for a skill that mostly just allows you to be lazy

That said I use it all the time because I am very lazy

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

edit: gently caress /\/\/\/\/\ you said it better, too

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Is there a reason people don't use Body Expertise? Is it because once you have a gun with good stats you can achieve the same result by aiming better? I used it for that firestarter unmodified AK and para challenge, it was great. Especially with the armor penetration skill.
I use it all the time so I can run around on Overkill killing everything (except Dozers) by clicking somewhere near their body and they die. I dunno about harder difficulties but it goes on any build I have with Automatic weapons.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

It's easier and less skill intensive to just stack as many accuracy boosts as possible.

Now, if Body Expertise still had the bug where it quadrupled your damage, I would definitely still take it.

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

22 Eargesplitten posted:

People totally use Body Expertise and it really is awesome. But it runs into two problems at higher levels:
1) most of the guns it works with don't work at Mayhem/DW/OD because of the crazy inflated health (too many SMGs/LMGs/ARs flat out don't do enough damage to bother with). Higher difficulties very very strongly reward high damage per shot guns; most high damage per shot weapons are DMRs (which may or may not benefit), shotguns or explosives (which don't).
2) Skill points for builds are extremely restrictive, particularly on OD. There's a lot of skills that are basically required to take just to survive and that doesn't leave a lot of flexibility for quality of life skills. Good as Body Expertise is, it's a QoL skill because it just means you have to aim less. You can make up for not having it on OD by aiming more carefully and popping helmets instead of settling for body shots, whereas things like Frenzy can't be sacrificed without severely impacting your effectiveness.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I run basic body Expertise (along with the armor pen skill) on my od dodge build, because with the heavy crossbow, you one shot everything in the body (except dozers).

Ensuring that you never need to aim on the highest difficulty seems pretty good to me.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
Anothr gift from the dev on facepunch:

Malek
Jun 22, 2003

Shut up Girl!
And as always: Kill Hitler.

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Death Vox is One Down if the developers put out effort instead of just being lazy and running the HP thru a multiplier.

Malek fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Dec 13, 2016

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
dude vox

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

Hey, are you listening to a word I'm saying?
Death Vox is the only video game fanfic I've ever enjoyed.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Obwiqx5bnO4

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Depends on what I'm going for. It's really useful for things like LMGs that I can't really precision aim, and I really just like the idea of BE+armor piercing to just be able to single/double tap enemies to get them out of my way as quickly as I can snap-shoot them.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

TBH, that challenge ended up reminding me of Call Of Duty. 1-2 body shots to kill each guy, automatic fire, high ammo pickup.

I'm playing at a tiny resolution with a poor frame rate, so it's tempting for me to put it on a DMR AK 7.62 or something. Not the AMR-16. One and a half seconds of being tased on automatic and half your ammo is gone.

Does it pierce Dozer armor? It seems like if it does that would shred them.

Wastrel_
Jun 3, 2004

Read it and weep.

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Not much of a point to it when I can build an M308 with 100 Accuracy and 100 Stability and 214 base damage + Berserker bonus. I can see how it would be helpful in that particular challenge though, because unmodded guns are total poo poo.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Yeah, that's what I figured. 10% of your points is too much to justify for most cases when the alternative is to just click heads. Especially given how few heists actually have long range areas.

I might do it anyway for Mayhem, though. Since Mayhem isn't as hardcore as DW or 1D.

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

Also shotguns exist so clicking in the general vicinity of heads/upper chests is an option.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Well yeah, but eventually using only shotguns gets boring. I really enjoy pistols, but when I'm averaging 15-20fps, head clicking is not as reliable.

Speaking of, will there likely be goon groups doing the challenge for the Broomstick precision barrel once that change hits? I know the barrel ruins it, but I have been thinking up Resident Evil 4 jokes to drive everyone away with.

Wastrel_
Jun 3, 2004

Read it and weep.

chairface posted:

Also shotguns grenade launchers exist so clicking in the general vicinity of heads/upper chests enemies is an option.

Even in OD. And grenade launchers need no skillpoints whatsoever!

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

I kind of have a jonesing for a hotline run on like Overkill or Mayhem diff. Just having a chill copshoot/ruskieshoot.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Yeah, that's what I figured. 10% of your points is too much to justify for most cases when the alternative is to just click heads. Especially given how few heists actually have long range areas.

I might do it anyway for Mayhem, though. Since Mayhem isn't as hardcore as DW or 1D.

Mayhem and DW are pretty much the same difficulty hth

If you're good enough for one you're good enough for the other.

e: more new achievements

UnknownMercenary fucked around with this message at 12:27 on Dec 13, 2016

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost

UnknownMercenary posted:

The problem isn't being good enough for Mayhem/DW. The problem is pubstoving good enough for Mayhem/DW.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

UnknownMercenary posted:

e: more new achievements

I thought DW had more damage, whereas Mayhem just had ridiculous amounts of health.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

I'm just going to straight quote my post on it from the Steam forums:

quote:

This is because Mayhem is literally a near identical copy of Deathwish.

Regular cop units have almost identical damage numbers (the only difference is light cops do a maximum 75 damage instead of 90). Same specials composition, health on all units, same assault break timer, same total spawn number, etc.

The main differences are in special unit damage, which seem to be both strange and ill-conceived. The black Saiga dozer is a toothless threat on Mayhem, it retains the damage numbers from Overkill (which are vritually nothing) while Tasers get a huge damage jump from 60 to 150.

For anyone who is dipping their toe into Mayhem to 'learn' higher tier difficulty they are essentially getting the full brunt of it anyway with the hordes of tanky cops doing way more damage than they are used to.

Source on enemy damage https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/15sW5ujghwxsph0xo89vTZbnS_aD7DbKU3CmAFtRBuUI/edit#gid=194671897

Source on spawns, timers, composition, etc https://steamcommunity.com/groups/pd2mech/discussions/0/343788552541680027/

The only other tangible difference is that Skulldozers are exclusive to DW. They were supposed to spawn on One Down, but they do not (IIRC even scripted ones are broken at the moment); only Reinfeld Dozers do.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

UnknownMercenary posted:

I'm just going to straight quote my post on it from the Steam forums:

The only other tangible difference is that Skulldozers are exclusive to DW. They were supposed to spawn on One Down, but they do not (IIRC even scripted ones are broken at the moment); only Reinfeld Dozers do.

I'm glad they don't, zeal dozers are already a massive pain in the rear end.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
You couldn't ask for a better Say Hello to my Little Friend teaser hint if you deliberately said it.

There better be an achievement for feeding a cop to a tiger.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Oddly, the leak-folks are saying this isn't the Hollywood heist. It may be a case of split dlc, but that's also unclear.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
We are number ONE!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum