Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I go to LAN parties three times a year. They’re fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

colachute
Mar 15, 2015

Well poo poo.

colachute posted:

TIL that people still do LAN parties

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

i do fight game tournaments which is basically the same thing but consoles are easier to deal with

also the crowds are super fun. its a mix of kids who grew up in the bronx/queens who grew up taking the train and playing at chinatown fair and lily white nerds, but it works

until the smash bros players show up

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

is this thread being weird to anyone else

edit: awful app was being weird

colachute
Mar 15, 2015

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

is this thread being weird to anyone else

edit: awful app was being weird

Thank you for posting and fixing the bug.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

i demand f's for my service

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

i demand f's for my service

FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

i do fight game tournaments which is basically the same thing but consoles are easier to deal with

also the crowds are super fun. its a mix of kids who grew up in the bronx/queens who grew up taking the train and playing at chinatown fair and lily white nerds, but it works

until the smash bros players show up

Oh, God, Smash players are like a plague wherever they show up. My buddy ran a barcade and had a fighting game night one day a week, and then a bunch of Smash players started showing up and just bitching nonstop about how they only had one copy of Smash Bros Brawl and that they wanted multiple versions of every game, and would be just gross smelly fuckers who would bother everyone else that showed up. To get them out he made Tuesday nights the night where if these guys wanted to, they could come to the bar with their own poo poo and set it up and play, but they had to pay him or he had a 3 drink minimum for them or something. Just loud, obnoxious, jerkass dudes. Total "Fox only, no items, Final Destination" guys. The worst.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006

I love how Sakurai has public contempt for the competitive Smash scene. For a while when they patched the games they wouldn't announce it, and wouldn't say what exactly the patches did, so they'd have to start at square 1 to figure out all the weird minutia if it again.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
So what is it about smash brothers that has the incel community tied up?

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Bought Outer Wilds since games is going crazy over it and went in blind as suggested. Talked to some people, flew around a little bit, walked around the moon, then the sun exploded. Good times.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Yeah I can confirm all the smash player stereotypes are true. There’s a group of us here that play and thankfully we’ve narrowed down our 420 blaze it and chill crew who we include. Sad that as an adult you have to quietly exclude a handful of people. Plus we make sure everyone knows it’s absolutely not competitive and we do items and whatever levels we want

Bunch of whiny needy adults who never matured after high school. This one big oaf would come around that just always smelled rancid. Act ornery and just generally insufferable to be around. One time I got pizza for us all and he quite literally hovered over it and ate most of it, not being considerate for others. I try to find the best in people but nah, smash players are largely toxic and awful.

Nostalgia4Dogges fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Jun 25, 2019

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

Yeah I can confirm all the smash player stereotypes are true. There’s a group of us here that play and thankfully we’ve narrowed down our 420 blaze it and chill crew who we include. Sad that as an adult you have to quietly exclude a handful of people. Plus we make sure everyone knows it’s absolutely not competitive and we do items and whatever levels we want

Bunch of whiny needy adults who never matured after high school. This one big oaf would come around that just always smelled rancid. Act ornery and just generally insufferable to be around. One time I got pizza for us all and he quite literally hovered over it and ate most of it, not being considerate for others. I try to find the best in people but nah, smash players are largely toxic and awful.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QkZB6YxtWKI

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Just lol if you never set up a lan party on deployment and played CK and AOE all night.

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006

Wasabi the J posted:

Just lol if you never set up a lan party on deployment and played CK and AOE all night.

Just lol if you ever deployed :fsmug:

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I deployed as RTO once and our barracks were a bunch of 2-man rooms built out of plywood inside of a big empty warehouse/barn, so I was able to run CAT5 to every squad room with an xbox in it and get some 16 player matches of CoD and halo going.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

not caring here posted:

So what is it about smash brothers that has the incel community tied up?

edit nope

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

We had four Xbox 360s daisy chained in a mess of wires with a router for LAN Borderlands

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
Smash, like many other things, is legitimately great in its own right but is ruined almost entirely by the people who play it. Find you some (mostly) normal friends who also like vidya games and just enjoy the game as-is. The minute you start taking it seriously is the minute you've gone and touched the poop.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Excuse me is this stage tournament legal

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

if you have to ban characters,items, or stages then its not a tourney game

also idgi about smash. they keep trying to squeeze into the fgc but they're like 10x the size of it, just go do your unwashed body odor button mashing on your own

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006

Uhm, excuse me, but if you don't make the GameCube controller compatible with every future iteration of hardware you ever make I will never stop smearing myself with poo poo.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

gently caress the gamecube in general

except twin snakes and eternal darkness

Oxygenpoisoning
Feb 21, 2006

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

Metroid Prime was good too.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

The collection of Ocarina of Time and Majora’s Mask was pretty solid, too. I’ve also yet to find anything that scratches the F-Zero itch, after the GameCube version melted my brain a few times over with GX.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

No, gently caress YOU

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

I’m all in this page but I gotta pump the brakes at this edginess here my dude

and yeah the GameCube controller is just 10 years of muscle memory people refuse to let go of. But it’s wired so no potential for interference at tournaments or claims of “delay.”

I switched to the Pro controller so I can chill on my couch

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

nintendo went downhill after the snes and is only redeeming itself now with the switch

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

nintendo went downhill after the snes and is only redeeming itself now with the switch

I disagree. You will never find a finer fishing game than Twilight Princess on the Wii.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

The Wii was a garbage gimmick that had a handful of actually good games. The wii-u had some dope games, but only after two years. The Switch was literally a portable breath of the wild machine for a year after its release. So...I kind of agree with you. But the N64 and GameCube, come on man...

Steezo
Jun 16, 2003
Now go away, or I shall taunt you a second time!

Just gonna chime in with Bloodstained is good. Especially if you liked Symphony of the Night, or Aria/Dawn of Sorrow.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

the gamecube/gba era of nintendo is just nothing but movie tie in games and lovely early 3d gameplay that people feel overly nostalgic for

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Steezo posted:

Just gonna chime in with Bloodstained is good. Especially if you liked Symphony of the Night, or Aria/Dawn of Sorrow.

Bloodstained feels like i am playing Symphony of the Night, except it's not. A model swap of the main character and the villain would turn it into a Castlevania game.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

the gamecube/gba era of nintendo is just nothing but movie tie in games and lovely early 3d gameplay that people feel overly nostalgic for

I mean there’s definitely like 50 generic lovely Disney-esque cash grabs no one ever bought to one good game, but there was also like 1,000 so

Steezo
Jun 16, 2003
Now go away, or I shall taunt you a second time!

orange juche posted:

Bloodstained feels like i am playing Symphony of the Night, except it's not. A model swap of the main character and the villain would turn it into a Castlevania game.

Minor spoiler maybe.

If you got the kickstarter/pre-order bonus thing you can fight Iga as dracula for a boss. The ability you get off him? The wine glass toss.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Steezo posted:

Minor spoiler maybe.

If you got the kickstarter/pre-order bonus thing you can fight Iga as dracula for a boss. The ability you get off him? The wine glass toss.

I believe he makes a cameo somewhere else in game as well with the wine glass. I want to say a loading screen or something.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Steezo posted:

Switch port is busted though so maybe wait on a few patches

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Fallom posted:

Switch port is busted though so maybe wait on a few patches

I have 100% faith they will get it working just as good as the other releases.

Wouldn't recommend buying a busted port until it's fixed though, want to be able to play what you paid for. Playing a castlevania game in the shitter seems like fun though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

Animal Crossing. Resident Evil 4. What was that game that would gently caress with you by pretending to turn off the gamecube or putting up a blank input screen?

That $30 aafes gamecube I bought on Camp Anaconda paid off eventually when I got back to the states and had access to more than mario and disney games.

Slim Pickens posted:

I deployed as RTO once and our barracks were a bunch of 2-man rooms built out of plywood inside of a big empty warehouse/barn, so I was able to run CAT5 to every squad room with an xbox in it and get some 16 player matches of CoD and halo going.

We just played a bunch of tiger woods golf on the original xbox on one tv for a while. Then we moved from jack shacks to a proper saddam era concrete building, with bays turned into 8 individual rooms by a reservist engineer unit that we coerced into giving us a squad in exchange for mechanic services to a few of their trucks and an engine replaced to knock out the job in a week. They were done in two days and just chilled the rest of the time. Then our company commo guys strung out cat5 and found a router. Halo until the sun comes up.