Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Are Teens OK with Nick Robinson's Behavior? - Here is What Something Awful Poster The REAL Goobusters Has to Say

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

This week on Still Buffering

Magissima
Apr 15, 2013

I'd like to introduce you to some of the most special of our rocks and minerals.
Soiled Meat

Grapplejack posted:

Why wouldn't he just try to gently caress people on tindr or bumble or whatever the hot gently caress app is this week

Imagine people who didn't know who he was reacting to the way he texts lol

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
TEENS REACT to nick robinson's DM game!

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

Grapplejack posted:

Why wouldn't he just try to gently caress people on tindr or bumble or whatever the hot gently caress app is this week

Didn't you see? Hes really bad!

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

da beeper king BABY posted:

Imagine people who didn't know who he was reacting to the way he texts lol

Lmfao this

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Grapplejack posted:

No games, no drama...

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

And you could feel his features in the air
A wide smile and perfect hair
He had complete control of the rising tides
And a medicine bag hanging at his side

In the flowing blue world of the death-dealing physician
More than anything else in this entire discussion I cannot wrap my head around how one can spend several days reading and discussing how a dude has been accused of being a creep asking for nudes and stuff and demanding reciepts and then are shown photographic receipts of him asking for nudes and stuff and say "oh that's a joke he doesn't mean it"

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
My opening line on tinder is always the waluigi shirt

Poor Miserable Gurgi
Dec 29, 2006

He's a wisecracker!

Bryter posted:

by what definition is anything that's surfaced thus far sexual harassment?

Repeatedly pressuring an 18 year old fan to come blow him while also telling her to keep their conversations secret?

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

The REAL Goobusters posted:

My opening line on tinder is always the waluigi shirt

I prefer to reference all the hentai I watch, but it's six of one, half dozen of the other.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Monicro posted:

More than anything else in this entire discussion I cannot wrap my head around how one can spend several days reading and discussing how a dude has been accused of being a creep asking for nudes and stuff and demanding reciepts and then are shown photographic receipts of him asking for nudes and stuff and say "oh that's a joke he doesn't mean it"

Some fans are willing to defend anything, really.

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

Monicro posted:

Yeah there's always room for some "oh he didn't mean it/oh she was clearly into it/oh that's not even real harassment/oh that's just locker room talk" which makes posting of these much-asked receipts pretty useless.

Why, it's almost as if these people don't actually see sexual harassment as a bad thing.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
also a lot of those fans are probably awkward male nerds who even if they were to never go so far as to harass women in the same way they will still empathize and sympathize with nick more because "he is the same with me" instead of actually trying to imagine why this poo poo is bad

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

I'm honestly surprised there isn't more discussion about how this was apparently an "open secret" in the industry and has been happening for years and years but these people close to nick only finding out now seems kind of suspicious.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Grapplejack posted:

I'm honestly surprised there isn't more discussion about how this was apparently an "open secret" in the industry and has been happening for years and years but these people close to nick only finding out now seems kind of suspicious.

Nobody has specified how much an open secret it was nor how long it has been going on.

Martian Manfucker
Dec 27, 2012

misandry is real
lmao nick

you were too horny for this one

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Serf posted:

Nobody has specified how much an open secret it was nor how long it has been going on.

Yeah, and its like totally possible there were a ton of smaller circles that knew about this stuff, but never interacted with each other.

Poor Miserable Gurgi
Dec 29, 2006

He's a wisecracker!

Serf posted:

It may also be telling that the only friends and colleagues we've heard from expressing surprise have been men. Nothing on Twitter from Simone or other Polygon women.

Build-a-Boar
Feb 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Nuebot posted:

It's kind of a frustrating cliche/trope as a writer because it means you can't really have a storyline wherein a character who is gay has their loved one die or something similar without being accused of doing this for the sake of doing it.

Yeah that's the price to pay for the really poo poo representation of gay people in media I guess. Until things are a bit more even then the trope's gonna get called out.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Poor Miserable Gurgi posted:

It may also be telling that the only friends and colleagues we've heard from expressing surprise have been men. Nothing on Twitter from Simone or other Polygon women.

The only guys who seemed to know were Ausin Walker and bloodyhoney, which makes total sense if you know much about them.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Grapplejack posted:

He has too much power....

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Also maybe like someone did once went up to one of his friends and where like "Nick was a creep to me once"
But that doesn't mean they automatically know that this has been an entire pattern of behavior for him which is what the problem is.

Tricky Ed
Aug 18, 2010

It is important to avoid confusion. This is the one that's okay to lick.

Grapplejack posted:

"Roger Ailes, Bill O'Reilly has been harassing me."

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
like if there is smoke there is fire, but that doesn't mean you are actually in a position to see all that smoke, and that doesn't mean there aren't people actually on fire

Bryter
Nov 6, 2011

but since we are small we may-
uh, we may be the losers

Repeatedly pressuring an 18 year old fan to come blow him while also telling her to keep their conversations secret?

Sexual harassment implies that his advances were rejected but he persisted anyway. Unless I'm missing something, that's not what happened here?

And I know there's a hosed up thing in the US where people are "kids" until they're 30 or whatever but lol an 18 year old is an adult dude, come on

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

I think you could argue this could potentially be someone sharing something funny they found with someone, though the reports of others and the weird thrifthsy thing does lend credence to him just being a weird bad creepflirt. The intent is hard to gauge on this one, unlike on the other. he could just be using memes as a screen though so I dunno.

Asiina posted:

I don't think any of this is beyond redemption, for Nick as a person or even for him in his current career (although I do think Polygon is going to make an example out of him to protect their brand), but he has to throw himself on the mercy of the internet and commit to not being a dumb idiot anymore.

agreed on all counts

He should probably apologize, resign, take a step back from social media/the internet, and then do whatever - dunno how you come back from being outed as a weirdo though

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

Still loving how many people reveal they don't know what sexual harassment is every time there's a new one of these

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer
I don't understand the surprise and shock, this has all been extremely on brand for Nick. Did Griffin forget the video they did together where they got a bunch of Sonic characters pregnant?

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Bryter posted:

Sexual harassment implies that his advances were rejected but he persisted anyway. Unless I'm missing something, that's not what happened here?

And I know there's a hosed up thing in the US where people are "kids" until they're 30 or whatever but lol an 18 year old is an adult dude, come on

what the

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

WE MUST RETURN TO THE DANCE! THE NIGHT IS OURS!

He has too much power....

Oh yes, truly the Trump of the video game world

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

Al Borland Corp. posted:

See I didn't even read it as a tragedy, they merged into a living being that was a monument to their own love that was gonna love basically forever.

I mean they literally got basically the best end for someone that hosed with one of the Artifacts, except for Lucas. I can see why people interpreted it as a tragic ending, though, and Griffin taking the time to clarify that it was a metamorphosis without death of personality was nice.

Poor Miserable Gurgi
Dec 29, 2006

He's a wisecracker!

Bryter posted:

No, you're right. Continually asking a girl eight years younger than him despite her never being into it to blow him and send nude phtotos while also telling her to never reveal anything he said to her to anyone seems totally on the up and up.

Edit: and no, it loving doesn't require vocal rejection to constitute harrassment, you dingus.

Poor Miserable Gurgi fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Aug 5, 2017

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Bryter posted:

this is depressing

misadventurous
Jun 26, 2013

the wise gem bowed her head solemnly and spoke: "theres actually zero difference between good & bad quartzes. you imbecile. you fucking moron"

Just because the specific nature of what he did wasnt like, flat out assaulting someone doesn't mean it's a good idea to turn around and go "oh that's not that bad"

We know the reactions of the people he messaged. They felt creeped out and uncomfortable. Let's take their feelings seriously.

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene
well, actually,

Bryter
Nov 6, 2011

but since we are small we may-
uh, we may be the losers

No, you're right. Continually asking a girl eight years younger than him despite her never being into it to blow him and send nude phtotos while also telling her to never reveal anything he said to her to anyone seems totally on the up and up.

Remind me, did I say that it was "on the up and up" or did I say it doesn't sound like sexual harassment?

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene
i mean sure, it was harassment, of a sexual nature, but i still don't get how

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Lmao this is the most who gives a gently caress type of poo poo of all time.

If he gets fired for these DMs lol just lol gg

madeline@souIspear has protected her account from people she hasn't confirmed as followers.

Gee I wonder why.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

I think what Nick did was pretty skeevy and disappointing even if not like, A Literal Crime. Especially bc he apparently sprung it on people out of nowhere. Like, it wasn't just 'Nick is loving terrible at flirting', it's 'Nick is hitting on dozens of young women in really uncomfortable ways'. I don't think he's evil or anything but like, best case scenario he needs to learn why what he was doing was making people uncomfortable and skeeved out.

Like, I don't know why 'jumping from casual conversation with someone you barely know to 'send nudes' is inappropiate' is apparently such a loving controversial things. It's only a few steps up from sending unsolicited dick pics, although it's definitely better than that.