Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

I for one welcome our new freedom overlords

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Another Bill posted:

Hopefully they only annex Alberta.

Our new name will be Northernmost Dakota.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

Chamale posted:

Our new name will be Northernmost Dakota.

New Buffalo

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

As if he wouldn't just name it Trump

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

It'd be an awful shame if our reactors accidentally leaked irreparable amounts of radioactive waste into the great lakes

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Another Bill posted:

Alright goons, I'm putting the call out: if you're able bodied and healthy make an appointment. If I can give blood you can too.

Thanks to Helsing and I think Infernal machines for giving me the kick in the butt/ inspiration I needed

I’m able bodied and healthy but I’m a human being in CBS’ transmisogynistic eyes so they won’t take my cursed blood.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Another Bill posted:

As if he wouldn't just name it Trump

He'd probably name the new US states after his kids.

Alberta will be Don Jr, always sucking up to Don Sr
Ontario will be Eric for obvious reasons.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Powershift posted:

He'd probably name the new US states after his kids.

Alberta will be Don Jr, always sucking up to Don Sr
Ontario will be Eric for obvious reasons.

Dontario

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
Manitoba remained the same but must be referred to as MANitoba

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

A Typical Goon posted:

Because if there's one person I trust to be honest about the subsidy they got from the government, it's my scumbag landlord

If this will be implemented like any other government program (here's hoping) they will likely provide you with a confirmation page that says you successfully applied to the program.

You just show your scummy landlord the pdf and say "they sent you the money, you lying gently caress" and then everyone lives happily ever after

tagesschau
Sep 1, 2006
Guten Abend, meine Damen und Herren.
I probably picked exactly the wrong two weeks to ignore this thread.

I managed to be out of the country right when everything started going to poo poo. At least I finally get to go outside again next week.

HookShot posted:

You're not technically in Canada until you've cleared customs.

That's not true. If you're somewhere the Canadian government has jurisdiction over you, you're in Canada.

T.C. posted:

I question whether they can legally (or ethically) deny entry to a Canadian citizen if they make it here.

They cannot. Canadian citizens have the right to enter Canada.

Do it ironically
Jul 13, 2010

by Pragmatica
Phoned our building manager about changing my rent payments to be on the 1st and 15th instead of all on the 1st

She tried to give me some BS that what the BC premiere said about no one can be evicted due to covid isn’t actually true and there’s not mandate yet

I thought my eyes were going to tear out of my head my eyes rolled so hard, loving assholes

Entorwellian
Jun 30, 2006

Northern Flicker
Anna's Hummingbird

Sorry, but the people have spoken.

Do it ironically posted:

Phoned our building manager about changing my rent payments to be on the 1st and 15th instead of all on the 1st

She tried to give me some BS that what the BC premiere said about no one can be evicted due to covid isn’t actually true and there’s not mandate yet

I thought my eyes were going to tear out of my head my eyes rolled so hard, loving assholes

Kill ur building manager

ARACHTION
Mar 10, 2012

I for one welcome living in American Columbia now that I won’t have to drive over 30k to save 1$ on milk and 7$ on gas.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

Do it ironically posted:

gently caress them

just another
Oct 16, 2009

these dead towns that make the maps wrong now
Do municipalities publish death data, generally? I'm curious how many people have died in March 2020 vs March 2019.

T.C.
Feb 10, 2004

Believe.

Do it ironically posted:

This person is stupid. On the one hand you get a two week delay on some money and no drawn out conflict. On the other hand you get to argue about things and create an adversarial situation with someone who likely doesn't have the ability to pay normally and might just not pay you at all if they think the consequences are the same either way. Also, if evicting even were an option, the rental market is suddenly flooded with airbnbs and you'd likely not fill the space.

Like, even from a greedy capitalism standpoint option two is dumb

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

just another posted:

Do municipalities publish death data, generally? I'm curious how many people have died in March 2020 vs March 2019.

The point is not how many have died to date, but how many will die if this spreads too fast and our healthcare system runs out of ventilators and ICU space.

Classon Ave. Robot
Oct 7, 2019

by Athanatos
When is the $500 thing even happening? The government website doesn't have any details or a place to apply or anything.

just another
Oct 16, 2009

these dead towns that make the maps wrong now

Evis posted:

The point is not how many have died to date, but how many will die if this spreads too fast and our healthcare system runs out of ventilators and ICU space.
Yes, and also how many will needlessly die from other things because the hospitals are swamped.

But I am curious how many are dying without a formal diagnosis and so aren't being reported as corvid-19 deaths.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

just another posted:

But I am curious how many are dying without a formal diagnosis and so aren't being reported as corvid-19 deaths.

I'm curious too, too bad we'll never know this or really how bad the infection rate is until we have widespread testing

JESUS CHRIST WHERE IS THE WIDESPREAD TESTING IT'S LIKE STEP ONE IN THE DEFEATING A PANDEMIC PLAN

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
Speaking of, if you had tested positive for COVID-19 but now say you're feeling better, we'll take your word for it.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Classon Ave. Robot posted:

When is the $500 thing even happening? The government website doesn't have any details or a place to apply or anything.

BC Temporary Rental Supplement Program (BC-TRS) - New (Coming Soon)

NOTE: The application process is under development. Information on basic eligibility will be available on BC Housing’s website in the next day or two, and the Application process will be available online in early April.

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

just another posted:

Yes, and also how many will needlessly die from other things because the hospitals are swamped.

Oh that’s a great question. Hopefully someone can find the stats and we can compare mortality from year to year. Short of another major incident I’d expect any significant deviation from the past few years would be from the virus.

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005
https://business.financialpost.com/opinion/lawrence-solomon-the-lockdown-should-be-for-the-old-and-vulnerable-no-one-else

Here comes the market worship from Canadian outlets too. loving disgusting poo poo

Faffel
Dec 31, 2008

A bouncy little mouse!

That article is excellent logic if you have taken several severe blows to the head.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

He is somehow getting roasted by the comment section in Natpo of all places.

I hope people manage to remember these incredibly odious ghoulish takes when we come out the other side of this. I hope they're left up by the publications, because this is going to be real interesting to look back on in a little while.

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

this caused me to write the first letter to editor in like 5 years in which I thanked the paper profusely for finally providing the important perspectives we need to hear. "While the risk of spreading misinformation is more perilous than ever, a commitment to hearing what everyday people think (regardless of how little they know about the subject) is obviously crucial. If Canada aspires to be a great nation it must follow in the footsteps of our southern neighbour and continue to champion the voices of the willfully ignorant . Thank you for your service. "

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
https://energynow.ca/2020/03/in-rare-step-oil-sands-giant-shuts-partial-output-to-weather-rout/

March 25th 2020 posted:

Western Canadian Select, the oil-sands benchmark, fell to $8.54 a barrel, which will be a record low if it settles at this price, data compiled by Bloomberg show. The value of the bitumen itself, excluding the light condensate that’s added so the heavy crude can be pumped through pipelines, was valued at just $3.83 a barrel.

https://twitter.com/CBCAlerts/status/1243250202888339457?s=20

March 26th 2020 posted:

Canadian oil price craters as Western Canadian Select plummets to $6.50 US after dropping $2.79 a barrel (30%).

Do the math on the after dilutant drop in price. :getin:

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Welp.

So much for the rural Albertan advantage.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Public sector workers in AB are going to be the ones paying the price first.

Then the general public they serve will follow shortly after.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Lawrence Solomon is a Canadian writer on the environment and the executive director of Energy Probe, a Canadian non-governmental environmental policy organization.

Solomon opposes nuclear power based on its economic cost, is a global warming skeptic, and has been critical of government approaches and policies used to address environmental concerns.[4]

In 2017 he wrote in the Financial Post that cycle lanes have become a major contributor to urban air pollution.[5]

T.C.
Feb 10, 2004

Believe.

I read that one earlier and even if you wanted to argue a least harm scenario, what the hell is wrong with you if you write this sentence.

quote:

The great majority of the population that becomes infected — well over 90 per cent — survives, typically with symptoms resembling the common cold. 

When you write words that say 'hey, less than 10% of people die, no biggie'... I honestly don't even know what to do with that.

Salean
Mar 17, 2004

Homewrecker

Pinterest Mom posted:

cycle lanes have become a major contributor to urban air pollution.[5]

A massive, throbbing mind.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
The troops at the border is definitely Trump's wandering mind shuffling over to "wartime president orders troops around" and is going to be forgotten in a few days. probably. maybe.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Dreylad posted:

The troops at the border is definitely Trump's wandering mind shuffling over to "wartime president orders troops around" and is going to be forgotten in a few days. probably. maybe.

I think also that he maybe doesn't understand that Canada wanted to close the borders to keep out infected Americans, and not vice versa.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
According to my friends Michael Sona is currently stirring poo poo up on Facebook by fearmongering a huge crime wave if we don't break the lockdown in Ontario.

Wish we could robocall his phone to oblivion so he stops posting.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Arcsquad12 posted:

fearmongering a huge crime wave if we don't break the lockdown in Ontario.

What?

Doctor
Jul 22, 2005

GO TO YOUR ROOM!

T.C. posted:

When you write words that say 'hey, less than 10% of people die, no biggie'... I honestly don't even know what to do with that.

If anyone ever commits to this line of thinking they should automatically consider themselves included in the 10%.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

It will be interesting to see crime statistics. I suspect the opposite will happen. (Apart from a huge increase is domestic violence, sadly.)