Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

AradoBalanga posted:

It's even more hilarious because Thrall can use his warhammer to launch a conjured lightning ball (or fire/frost/etc. ball) in-game, so Thrall chucking his hammer at Mannoroth is just some forced stupidity so Grom can have his big old sappy redemption moment.

Thrall chucking lighting bolts with a hammer seems kinda silly as a decision until you remember that his corresponding PVP 3d-asset, the far seer, wields a staff. I think the addition of the hammer might just have been too late in development cycle to do anything about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Jsor posted:

Oh yeah, by the way, how were the subtitles on the final cutscene? Too big? Too colorful? I'm not going to need to do them much because there aren't that many prerendered cutscenes left, but they're not too much effort.

I think they could be a bit smaller, and I personally prefer white or yellow for subs.

Weird how Thrall clearly seems to have a broken arm when he shuffles up to Grom, but then raises both arms for his Klingon death scream moment.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

goons posted:

horribly wrong opinions about the best RTS single player
Supreme Commander.
Forged Alliance.

Well, some of the trial and error bits aside.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Isn't Thrall's hammer magical and he's using it to channel his lightning or something? You can clearly see how he charges it up before he throws it in a straight line with no arc despite its size. Can't do that properly with some dull wooden stick.

my dad posted:

Yuri's Revenge
Everything is better with Yuri. :neckbeard:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0agmkHi0nks

ThisIsNoZaku
Apr 22, 2013

Pew Pew Pew!

Poil posted:

Isn't Thrall's hammer magical and he's using it to channel his lightning or something? You can clearly see how he charges it up before he throws it in a straight line with no arc despite its size. Can't do that properly with some dull wooden stick.

Everything is better with Yuri. :neckbeard:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0agmkHi0nks

I'm pretty sure he uses Doomhammer, which is basically Orc Excalibur.

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

Protect children from "Safe Schools" social engineering. Shame!

Yeah Doomhammer is important, if I get around to trying my shaman in Legion I'll probably know more about it

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Calax posted:

I thought his basic attack was literally just hucking his hammer at everything. *Looks at animation closer* guess not. Huh...

Pit lords in general seem to be (In Warcraft at least) the Chumps. If you need something big and threatening but not to threatening, you use a Pit Lord.

Side note, In the alternate universe version of Dranor, Mannaroth returns. He was the second to last fight in the final raid. Not sure entirely how he got there, but the entire fight starts around his corpse (in a slimey burny puddle) and then Gul'Dan (THAT gul'Dan yes) ressurects him in an attempt to stop you while he opens a new Dark Portal (You blew up the other one when you arrived)

It's because, and I'm not making GBS threads you.

Garrosh (aka Orc Hitler) goes back in time and stops the Orcs from ever drinking the Blood of Mannoroth before the Second War, encouraging them to kill Mannoroth, which they do. He then tells them to go through a portal in time to attack the present day alliance and murder everyone who's not an orc.

The orcs, having avoided the corruption of Mannoroth and therefore being free to lead peaceful lives, choose to do this because reasons. So they assault a technologically superior foe with greater numbers and get their asses handed to them inside a few days. They get beaten back into Draenor and keep getting shitwrecked until some orcs decide the whole felblood thing wasn't that bad an idea. Gul'dan grabs Mannoroth's corpse, feeds everyone a bunch of Felblood and then everything goes down as above.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
Really?!

Go home, Warcraft lore, you're drunk.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Garrosh sounds like he's trying to bring orcs to their proper bloodthirsty roots, though.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

anilEhilated posted:

Garrosh sounds like he's trying to bring orcs to their proper bloodthirsty roots, though.

He did. Then he died because how dare you go against Thrall's vision. The current expansion has the elements unhappy with Thrall, though, because he used magic to cheat in what was supposed to be an honorable contest of pure strength and skill mano a mano. It's why the Doomhammer is currently in the hands of the PCs in WoW.

Bot 02
Apr 2, 2010

Dude... Did my plushie just talk?

MiddleOne posted:

Thrall chucking lighting bolts with a hammer seems kinda silly as a decision until you remember that his corresponding PVP 3d-asset, the far seer, wields a staff.

Or until you remember that Thor from Norse mythology did exactly the same thing.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Bot 02 posted:

Or until you remember that Thor from Norse mythology did exactly the same thing.

Uuuuuuuh... Have marvel made me forget actual norse mythology? :psyduck:

Bot 02
Apr 2, 2010

Dude... Did my plushie just talk?

MiddleOne posted:

Uuuuuuuh... Have marvel made me forget actual norse mythology? :psyduck:

I just read up on it now because I became unsure myself, and it turns out I was a bit mistaken. It doesn't seem like the original mythology ever mentions Thor summoning lightning with his hammer, though he is closely related to both hammer-wielding and lightning, so it's not that big of a stretch to conceive of a lightning hammer. I doubt the creators of Warcraft were the first to come up with the concept.

Calax
Oct 5, 2011

Yorkshire Tea posted:

It's because, and I'm not making GBS threads you.

Garrosh (aka Orc Hitler) goes back in time and stops the Orcs from ever drinking the Blood of Mannoroth before the Second War, encouraging them to kill Mannoroth, which they do. He then tells them to go through a portal in time to attack the present day alliance and murder everyone who's not an orc.

The orcs, having avoided the corruption of Mannoroth and therefore being free to lead peaceful lives, choose to do this because reasons. So they assault a technologically superior foe with greater numbers and get their asses handed to them inside a few days. They get beaten back into Draenor and keep getting shitwrecked until some orcs decide the whole felblood thing wasn't that bad an idea. Gul'dan grabs Mannoroth's corpse, feeds everyone a bunch of Felblood and then everything goes down as above.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TLzhlsEFcVQ

And that's how that happened. Complete with callback shot to how Grommiepoo died in "our" world.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

davidspackage posted:

I think they could be a bit smaller, and I personally prefer white or yellow for subs.

Weird how Thrall clearly seems to have a broken arm when he shuffles up to Grom, but then raises both arms for his Klingon death scream moment.

I prefer color coding by character. Though, admittedly, the WC3 cutscene dialogue is never complex enough to require that.

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

I shall devour your soul.
Grimey Drawer

Jsor posted:

I prefer color coding by character. Though, admittedly, the WC3 cutscene dialogue is never complex enough to require that.

You can color code the name and have the text itself in white or yellow with a thin black stroke :v:

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Bot 02 posted:

I just read up on it now because I became unsure myself, and it turns out I was a bit mistaken. It doesn't seem like the original mythology ever mentions Thor summoning lightning with his hammer, though he is closely related to both hammer-wielding and lightning, so it's not that big of a stretch to conceive of a lightning hammer. I doubt the creators of Warcraft were the first to come up with the concept.

Remember that this:

is Thor's hammer. It's more like a wand of lightning bolt, really.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
IIRC the connection was that whenever you hear thunder, it's Thor whacking someone with it.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
It's got a really short handle, Thor is the only one allowed to touch it, and it bursts out lightning as soon as Thor starts whacking it?

Huh...

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

anilEhilated posted:

IIRC the connection was that whenever you hear thunder, it's Thor whacking someone with it.

He rides across the skies with his two rams, Tandgnost and Tandgrisner, pulling his chariot, as he hurls bolts of lightning at the giants, Jotuns.

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer

THE BAR posted:

He rides across the skies with his two rams, Tandgnost and Tandgrisner, pulling his chariot, as he hurls bolts of lightning at the giants, Jotuns.

Jötnar :colbert:

Hamilcar
Oct 18, 2012

my dad posted:

It's got a really short handle, Thor is the only one allowed to touch it, and it bursts out lightning as soon as Thor starts whacking it?

Huh...

It is to some extent a phallic symbol, Thor as a deity is also associated with fertility both agricultural and otherwise.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

Jętter. However you want it anglicized.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I'm fully expecting the next post to be written in runes.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

FUŽARK!

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

It's not what it looks like.
"Vikings are so hot right now" - Vanity Fair, Oct 2016

"Thrall is so hot right now" - Chris Metzen

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

my dad posted:

Huh...

Find me a mythology not built around phallic symbols and I will build you a bridge to traverse the stars.

Moxie
Aug 2, 2003

The cutscenes in Reign of Chaos are legendary in my opinion. They're not the peak of the medium but at the time they were well beyond what I expected from CGI. This was before LOTR: The Two Towers unveiled a fully realized CG character in Gollum, and roughly contemporary with the not-quite successful Final Fantasy: Spirits Within.

Basically an animation turning point in my mind. I'd like to know if anyone can name anything nearly as good before this game was released.

White Coke
May 29, 2015

MiddleOne posted:

Find me a mythology not built around phallic symbols and I will build you a bridge to traverse the stars.

Will it or will it not look like a penis?

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

It's not what it looks like.

Moxie posted:

The cutscenes in Reign of Chaos are legendary in my opinion. They're not the peak of the medium but at the time they were well beyond what I expected from CGI. This was before LOTR: The Two Towers unveiled a fully realized CG character in Gollum, and roughly contemporary with the not-quite successful Final Fantasy: Spirits Within.

Basically an animation turning point in my mind. I'd like to know if anyone can name anything nearly as good before this game was released.

Diablo II?

Blizzard really raised the bar for pre-rendered cutscenes

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Moxie posted:

Diablo 2...?

Moxie
Aug 2, 2003

Diablo 2 I thought of but I think the quality is noticeably lower. I played WC3 first though so maybe that was a bigger deal.

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer

Moxie posted:

Please. This is 1999.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

:lol:, how could I forget

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
Blizzard has added the option to stream their newer games to Facebook. Who the gently caress streams games to Facebook?

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
Freaks.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
Okay, so I fear my ambition has exceeded my grasp with my plans for the new unit card and a little fun thing I want to do with mission 2 of the Night Elf campaign (it may end up in episode 1). I'm still determined to finish it, however.

To fill in the gap while I get this ready would you guys prefer:

1. Another stream, probably on Sunday at some sane hour PT
2. A bonus episode on a custom map or two that still works on the most recent patch (possibly one of the official Blizzard ones).

Linear Zoetrope fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Sep 22, 2016

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Bonus episode

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
Bonus, don't overwok yourself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Bonus episode sounds good. Plus, you get to show off a multiplayer map in some form. Win-win situation all around.

• Locked thread