Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

If you followed the old thread, the newest episode is Episode 6, March of the Scourge

:frogsiren: Thread Rules :frogsiren:

No story spoilers. I mean, let's be reasonable, most people even vaguely aware of Warcraft know that Arthas becomes the Lich King and Illidan is now some weird demon thing that berates you for not being prepared. Not everyone knows the full story, though, and I'd like to keep a lid on plot points and story elements. It's not great art, but it's entertaining enough to be worth experiencing spoiler free.

Warcraft III: Reign of Chaos is the final RTS in the Warcraft franchise (not including its expansion pack). Released in 2002, it's an RTS with some strong RPG elements including hero units with inventories that level up. It is, obviously, the sequel to Warcraft 2, but deviates very strongly from that model. It adds two new races (the Undead and Night Elves), and the RPG elements and numerous unit abilities make it a lot different from most other RTS games I've played.

For a time it was my favorite most played game. There's not an (archived) LP of it yet, and I figured it was worth doing.

It features four campaigns, one for each race (plus one extremely short tutorial campaign). We'll be going through all of them (plus one short mini-campaign Blizzard released to bridge the prologue and the Orc campaign AKA the Warcraft 3 Demo).

• What difficulty are you playing on?
      Hard. I may turn it down if a mission is just too difficult for me, or it becomes impossible to show secrets at that difficulty, but it hasn't happened yet!
  • Are you doing The Frozen Throne?
      Yup! Including Rexxar.
  • Will there be bonus content?
      If we can get enough people together, I'd like to play some of the old custom games. A lot of them were broken with the 1.24 patch which fixed a security hole almost every custom map relied on. It's also plausible I might do some gimmick or challenge runs of certain missions if they're interesting enough.
  • Are you going to show off everything in the game?
      Sort of. I'm relatively thorough, but if an item or a bonus objective is just dumb or pointless I'll skip it. I'm not going to clear every map, but I make an effort to find anything that's hidden. Anything I miss I'll likely put in a round up video of some sort.
  • You mentioned a stupidly long manual with a bunch of silly backstory?
      Yup, Blizzard actually has it up as a PDF. Knock yourself out. Disclaimer: I don't really know or care how much of this has been retconned. It was an awesome read when I was 12, though!
  • you dont micro your macro esports esports:downswords:
      Yeah, I'm never going to be a competitive RTS player. I'll rag on myself (in fact, I may do it too much!), but let's not get super obsessive about optimal build orders and unit values. I'm never going to play perfectly or hire Grubby to secretly record for me, so you're gonna have to deal with it.
  • So, uh, I followed this LP before and it got archived because you never update...
      That should be fixed! I had a hell of a lot of trouble recording and editing March of the Scourge. A lot of it was real life, most of it was extremely poor editing decisions. I can get into it in more in-depth, but I basically made and scrapped the video like 8 times.

  This was my first LP, and I really had no idea what I was doing, so it led to a lot of redoing things, fumbling over recording, etc. After getting some more experience, I have my workflow extremely fast.

  Even for a long mission record+edit+upload only takes a day or two now. Still, to prevent this from happening again I have built up a backlog to the end of the human campaign. That I means I won't be as immediately responsive to feedback, but it should prevent huge delays.

Voiced dialogue for Episode 3

Episode 1

Episode 2

Episode 3
In the video

Episode 4

Episode 5

Episode 6

Episode 7

Linear Zoetrope fucked around with this message at 08:29 on May 30, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
Reserved

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Nice to see this back! I don't think anyone can blame you for taking long on a loving defense mission, these things are a nightmare to commentate. Good luck on the actually long ones.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

anilEhilated posted:

Nice to see this back! I don't think anyone can blame you for taking long on a loving defense mission, these things are a nightmare to commentate. Good luck on the actually long ones.

Under the Burning Sky is going to be... something. I'm not even entirely sure I can do that one in one cut without saving.

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

I shall devour your soul.
Grimey Drawer
Will definitely be following this, I loved Warcraft 3 when I was a kid

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012
Wow. This thread is already double undead and we haven't even managed to reach that campaign yet. I wonder what amazing feats of thread necromancy yet await us. Still, I'm glad this is back, maybe I'll get the chance to gush about the music after all. And also to complain about it. The soundtrack to this game is somehow amazing and amazingly frustrating at the same time.

Aumanor fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Dec 13, 2015

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

hah, was just gonna say it's too bad this thread didn't die in the Scourge campaign, all kinds of bad jokes woulda littered the thread :v:

At any rate though I am glad to see this back in action, always like a good WarCraft LP

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

I shall devour your soul.
Grimey Drawer

Aces High posted:

hah, was just gonna say it's too bad this thread didn't die in the Scourge campaign, all kinds of bad jokes woulda littered the thread :v:

At any rate though I am glad to see this back in action, always like a good WarCraft LP

It'll have its chance

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012
Having skimmed through this and a few of the previous updates again, have you ever done one of your info cards for the sorceresses, Jsor?

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

Aumanor posted:

Having skimmed through this and a few of the previous updates again, have you ever done one of your info cards for the sorceresses, Jsor?

Huh, I must've forgotten. Another thing for the errata video I guess.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
Was, and still am a huge Warcraft fan - I've actually been playing through this again recently myself, so definitely watching this.

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I don't think I've ever managed to finish that mission without getting my base wrecked at the end like you did there.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

Wanamingo posted:

I don't think I've ever managed to finish that mission without getting my base wrecked at the end like you did there.

These are always scripted so that the volume of units puts you at your last leg. The Undead finale, for instance, I've lost with under 1 second left because it can be a matter of whether the enemy actually remembers to target the objective or not.

I am very appreciative that the ensuing cutscene makes it appear like you're doing far better than you actually were.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
Regarding Arthas' ultimate, I know exactly why it feels underwhelming, as you mentioned in episode 6.

The simple answer: You're fighting undead. Most of your corpses (that aren't exploded by Meat Wagons) will be quickly turned into skeletons by enemy necromancers, leaving you nothing to resurrect. The human campaign in general is kind of a dick to your healers in general, honestly, for the same reason. By fighting the undead, Arthas' healing gets hampered by temptations to use Holy Light as an offensive tool (usually Necromancers or Abominations, or Frost Wyrms, myself), as well as the previously-mentioned issue with resurrection.

As an addition, priests end up having a LOT of trouble due to dealing with disease cloud for most of the campaign. With the constant ticking damage, your priests, if left autohealing unattended, will spend their entire mana pool on minor coughs, leading to a need to either deal with constantly out-of-mana priests, or spend a lot more effort on micromanaging whether heal is on autocast or not.

EDIT: I've noticed that AI on Hard is *much* noticeably smarter. Between switching targets to prioritize workers that are repairing structures, to doing the same thing to target your siege weapons, the AI is very aggressive about targeting your delicate, important units to a degree that it most certainly does NOT engage on normal difficulty.

BlazetheInferno fucked around with this message at 07:26 on Dec 14, 2015

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
I don't know if Akul has found their way to this thread, but if you have, I wanted to say thanks for the TFT custom campaign that contains the voiced demo, it was really helpful in recording the next episode!

(Next episode for me, like 5 episodes from now for you guys).

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?
I've been playing this game and Frozen Throne off and on for years now pretty much because it just seems to be the one PC game I have that disappears and reappears every time I move. After living at my current place for a year or so I found it again in one of my junk boxes so I've been working through it yet again.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

You can register your cd-key on battle.net and download an installation from there. Hang to the key though.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Interesting, it sounds like the original plans for WC3 are very close to how Dawn of War 2 came out: minimal to no base-building, controlling areas rather than building or gathering, and a strong emphasis on micromanaging a small number of units.

Also, I think the high elves may have been one of the two cut races. We'll eventually see that they have their own unique looks for most Alliance units and buildings despite being functionally the same.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.
Worth noting that if you're VERY quick and maybe skip the cutscene, you can actually save a couple of the soldiers that die at the very start if you move them. They start with like 1 hp to die quick, but hey, grab a priest and you have a extra bulwark.

Alpha3KV
Mar 30, 2011

Quex Chest
Destroying the undead bases was mentioned in the video, and I'd like to point out that you don't just wait around after they're gone. In WC3's defense missions, you instantly win after you finish off the last enemy building. However, there is one notable exception to this. I do know of a speedrun of this level, that also shows off a couple other secrets/features if you'd like me to post it.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

Alpha3KV posted:

Destroying the undead bases was mentioned in the video, and I'd like to point out that you don't just wait around after they're gone. In WC3's defense missions, you instantly win after you finish off the last enemy building. However, there is one notable exception to this. I do know of a speedrun of this level, that also shows off a couple other secrets/features if you'd like me to post it.

The exception is the very last mission, isn't it? Because that's the only one I've tried it on.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

it is, the SDA speedrun still has you wait out the timer and you can just have this huge army waiting to just wreck the boss' poo poo every time he comes out.

Alpha3KV
Mar 30, 2011

Quex Chest
Yeah, from messing around with god mode, I know that even if you completely wipe the enemies off the map you still have to wait the final mission out.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

Alpha3KV posted:

Yeah, from messing around with god mode, I know that even if you completely wipe the enemies off the map you still have to wait the final mission out.

This is likely because the enemy actually sells their entire base and rebuilds it every time they wipe one of the NPC bases, so making "no buildings" a win condition would probably break the game. :eng101:

But that's a conversation for waaaaaay later.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

oh cool, nice to see this back from dead again

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
Other Blizzard game review:

New HotS hero Lunara does not have amazing WC3 Dryad voice 0/10

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Jsor posted:

New HotS hero Lunara does not have amazing WC3 Dryad voice 0/10
Thank God, now I might even buy her. Still not as bad as what they did with the dryad in DotA 2; I hear that and reach for the (sadly nonexistant) shotgun.

SpruceZeus
Aug 13, 2011

SPROINK!

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

Protect children from "Safe Schools" social engineering. Shame!

anilEhilated posted:

Thank God, now I might even buy her. Still not as bad as what they did with the dryad in DotA 2; I hear that and reach for the (sadly nonexistant) shotgun.

Lunara is bad, don't get her until she is buffed. Play Raynor/Valla instead and be useful.

Really happy to see this back and I am excited to see what happens next because I have forgotten the game. :v:

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Eh, I'm the type who plays heroes for fun, not necessarily usefulness. Like, when I need to get an assassin, I'll gladly pick Nova and just be a bastard.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

I like how Uther says "this battle's far from over" immediately before the end of the battle.

Maybe you were originally supposed to use Uther's forces to turn the tide, but that turned out to be too long, or something.

Carbolic Smokeball
Nov 2, 2011
I think Uther's referencing the battle against the whole undead army in general

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
In which I say dumb things about this mission. It's also extremely easy.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

If you put your farms in front of your towers they offer a lot more protection.

I like this mission too, while I hated it the first time I played it is surprisingly fun. Hmmm, if this game had been done today Arthas would have been 100% unambiguously good and right until he, inevitably, gets corrupted.

Poil fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Dec 20, 2015

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Is it just Arthas that Malganis cares about? If it is, it seems like splitting your units up might've hurried things along.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

Poil posted:

If you put your farms in front of your towers they offer a lot more protection.

I actually know that, but it feels so gamey I can't bring myself to do it. With Orcs it makes some sense, and I guess you could make an argument for Nelves since their farms are resupply stations, but for humans it's just weird.

Wanamingo posted:

Is it just Arthas that Malganis cares about? If it is, it seems like splitting your units up might've hurried things along.

I'm actually not entirely sure, but I think he seeks to anyone attacking buildings.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Jsor posted:

I actually know that, but it feels so gamey I can't bring myself to do it. With Orcs it makes some sense, and I guess you could make an argument for Nelves since their farms are resupply stations, but for humans it's just weird.
Maybe, but it's the game's fault for not allowing you to build walls or barricades and it's the closest thing.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

alright with Stratholme done now we get to the best hero in the game :getin:

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

Aces High posted:

alright with Stratholme done now we get to the best hero in the game :getin:

His name is very close to Murderin' I'll give him that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

So what's with Blizzard's obsession with goodly heroes becoming CORRUPTED? It's an interesting plot once or twice, but it seems to happen three to five times per franchise.

• Locked thread