Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

new phone who dis posted:

This is a straight-up right wing talking point.

right wingers: well known for their staunch support of BLM, the innocence project, and vehemently opposed to the death penalty :allears:

sorry bidya gaems made you functionally illiterate~

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

In 2011 the government specifically and illegally instructed colleges to take up the mantle of judge and jury on student's lives using a much lower standard of proof and stripping the accused of the rights they would normally have. We are now in the full-on disaster phase of this instruction, where even most feminist professors admit it's a completely failed and unfair system. Unfortunately, the tribe of modern feminism disagrees even with the professors who are the source of their own ideology and continues to defend this type of behavior with what amount to right-wing talking points and fear-mongering.

[citation needed]

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

We are now in the full-on disaster phase of this instruction, where even most feminist professors admit it's a completely failed and unfair system.

The full-on disaster phase where almost, but not quite, 30 of these incidents are happening PER YEAR! That's ALMOST as much as the number of actual loving rapes happening per year at Harvard alone! And Harvard isn't even the university with the highest rape statistics in the United States!

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

stone cold posted:

[citation needed]

I truly wonder if you really think you've done anything to bring people around to your way of thinking in this thread. Do you think people look at your cheap and annpying pedantry and decide to join your movement because of it? Do you realize you're doing no favors for yourself, your allies, or anyone you claim to represent? You're part of an utterly toxic subgroup preaching only to itself.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

In 2011 the government specifically and illegally instructed colleges to take up the mantle of judge and jury on student's lives using a much lower standard of proof and stripping the accused of the rights they would normally have.

why aren't you demanding jury trials for expulsion for poor academic performance or plagiarism

universities have a moral and legal obligation to prevent sexual assault on their campuses. their tools to do so aren't up to the task by any measure - and it's not like the public legal system offers a functional example to follow.

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Our review identified changes needed to be made and, in Stephen, we have a coach who has a reputation for demanding the highest standards.

foolish_fool posted:

I think that the first step is to think about how you are assigning motive to things. If you start with the assumption that evil femminists are dishonestly trying to push an agenda, then that is where you are going to end. But if you can conceive that maybe people are actually acting in good faith, you might get somewhere. The gaps you see in headlines aren't dishonest, they are starting points into an incredibly complex discussion (or even without the discussion, you want to get people thinking). "I wish there was more thought into proper analysis" is along the same lines, it assumes that the people doing this are lazy or incompetent or something whereas maybe its just insanely hard / they did what was possible given their expertise and the data. And then if you go into an actual discussion from the starting point of trying to refute the evil "statistical misrepresentations", obviously people are going to be defensive / respond in equally bad faith (as has been the result in this thread). Whereas if you are willing to actually accept things as useful data points as pieces of a puzzle, and actively want to make the world a better place for everyone, then you can more productively think about/discuss how we fix problems or even better collect/analyse/market information, etc..

Aside:
If you try to take your hardcore science etc study and get someone to write a news article about it, the journalist inevitably tries to get from you the key messages, the big ticket things that are going to get people reading the article. And an easy to understand overarching statistic is like that. This process can be pretty frustrating for all parties involved because you know the thing you've done and how excited you are about the details but they don't know anything about your expert thing but they know what people actually want to read (which probably isn't your statistical methodology). The result can often be a bit worrying as the non-journalist. But one thing I was once told is that you probably want to think of media type stuff and science type stuff differently, they have very different goals and styles.

The media and the columnists who perpetuate this have well and truly exhausted the benefit of the doubt when it comes to this topic. They have been repeatedly shown exactly why what they are saying is wrong and misleading but they continue to push it. The only conclusion possible is that they don't care that it's not correct, they care that it is popular.

The average person who reads and believes theses columns on the other hand, I agree they deserve the benefit of the doubt, which I endeavour to give them. The problem I encounter is the misrepresentation is so pervasive, and seen as so morally just that to oppose it (no matter how gently and fact based your approach) is incredibly hard to do and results in accusations and ad-hominens as displayed in this thread. I am genuinely interested in the root causes of the earnings gap, and any genuine societal problems we can fix to improve everyone's lot but I see the "gender wage gap" as an obstacle to meaningful progress on this as the falsehood dominates the narrative.

Smorgasbord fucked around with this message at 07:49 on Jan 29, 2017

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

Somfin posted:

The full-on disaster phase where almost, but not quite, 30 of these incidents are happening PER YEAR! That's ALMOST as much as the number of actual loving rapes happening per year at Harvard alone! And Harvard isn't even the university with the highest rape statistics in the United States!

There isn't a clear picture of how often this happens because the system isn't accountable to itself. The only ones you will hear about are the people willing and with the means to fight it. There are probably a lot more minority student being impacted by it on scholarships that you will never hear about because their parents can't afford a lawyer. Keep telling yourself it's a good thing, though.

Aging Millenial
Nov 24, 2016

by zen death robot
Feminism has two definitions -- the "politically correct" definition that so called feminists always retreat to -- i.e advocacy for the equality of sexes -- and the operating definition: Resentment of men and a demand that society be remade so that women are pampered at men's expense.

Actual equality between the sexes was achieved in the 1970s. Feminism since has been nothing but women demanding that being treated like equals is too harsh and that they should be privileged, also at the same time they shouldn't be called out for wanting to privilege women over men.

Feminists are envious of the top earning men and powerful men, but they are blind to all the lower tier men who are not rich and have no power.

Also due to an inherent bias of biology women prefer each other's company and association to that of men, and no one gives them poo poo about it. A female will get the benefit of the doubt in a way that a man will never.

Given the inherent bias women have in favor for each other, it's problematic that Human Resource departments are staffed by primarily by women.

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

Cease to Hope posted:

why aren't you demanding jury trials for expulsion for poor academic performance or plagiarism

universities have a moral and legal obligation to prevent sexual assault on their campuses. their tools to do so aren't up to the task by any measure - and it's not like the public legal system offers a functional example to follow.

Creating a system of kangaroo courts where an outside accusation can get someone expelled and black-balled even when the supposed victim insists the sex was consensual is not the answer. This is what happens when you let activist-based hysteria take the lead. There is no argument for this type of system that is morally or ethically correct, just more naked tribalism and fear-mongering. The answer to stopping difficult to prosecute crimes is not government-sanctioned vigilantism performed by unqualified university personnel.

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

Aging Millenial posted:

Feminism has two definitions -- the "politically correct" definition that so called feminists always retreat to -- i.e advocacy for the equality of sexes -- and the operating definition: Resentment of men and a demand that society be remade so that women are pampered at men's expense.

Actual equality between the sexes was achieved in the 1970s. Feminism since has been nothing but women demanding that being treated like equals is too harsh and that they should be privileged, also at the same time they shouldn't be called out for wanting to privilege women over men.

Feminists are envious of the top earning men and powerful men, but they are blind to all the lower tier men who are not rich and have no power.

Also due to an inherent bias of biology women prefer each other's company and association to that of men, and no one gives them poo poo about it. A female will get the benefit of the doubt in a way that a man will never.

Given the inherent bias women have in favor for each other, it's problematic that Human Resource departments are staffed by primarily by women.

*stabs self in eye with nearest pen*

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

He agrees with you.

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

I truly wonder if you really think you've done anything to bring people around to your way of thinking in this thread. Do you think people look at your cheap and annpying pedantry and decide to join your movement because of it? Do you realize you're doing no favors for yourself, your allies, or anyone you claim to represent? You're part of an utterly toxic subgroup preaching only to itself.

But enough about you and gamergate

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

these are your actual talking points :laffo:

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

There isn't a clear picture of how often this happens because the system isn't accountable to itself. The only ones you will hear about are the people willing and with the means to fight it. There are probably a lot more minority student being impacted by it on scholarships that you will never hear about because their parents can't afford a lawyer. Keep telling yourself it's a good thing, though.

You're entirely right. This world we live in is one that could coincide with what you say being true. But possibility and probability are not the same thing, and do you really think that the number is off by a factor of 2,000?

E: And stop plagiarising from that online petition, it's really loving obvious you don't know what any of those words mean.

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

Somfin posted:

You're entirely right. This world we live in is one that could coincide with what you say being true. But possibility and probability are not the same thing, and do you really think that the number is off by a factor of 2,000?

E: And stop plagiarising from that online petition, it's really loving obvious you don't know what any of those words mean.

It doesn't have to equal the number of rapes to be a bad thing. It's not a contest.

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

It doesn't have to equal the number of rapes to be a bad thing. It's not a contest.

Somebody please use all the fire departments in this country to put out this match!!!

What, put out the fire that extends from coast to coast? Ppft that's fake news from feminazis, :smug:

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

Somfin posted:

He agrees with you.

In a terrible, unproductive and repulsive manner. If only everyone was so critical of their "allies".

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Creating a system of kangaroo courts where an outside accusation can get someone expelled and black-balled even when the supposed victim insists the sex was consensual is not the answer. This is what happens when you let activist-based hysteria take the lead.

you are a hysterical activist though

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

stone cold posted:

Somebody please use all the fire departments in this country to put out this match!!!

What, put out the fire that extends from coast to coast? Ppft that's fake news from feminazis, :smug:

Fire is a big problem. Let's set up a fire gestapo to take down anyone even suspected of liking fire. This will work out well.

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

In a terrible, unproductive and repulsive manner. If only everyone was so critical of their "allies".

so to be clear, you love his ideas

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

Fire is a big problem. Let's set up a fire gestapo to take down anyone even suspected of liking fire. This will work out well.

ok but now you've turned the analogy into liking rape

do you not see how this reflects poorly on you

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

stone cold posted:

so to be clear, you love his ideas

No, his whole thing about lower class men being ignored or whatever is laughable and his view of women is infantile and assumes the worst from the outset. We probably agree on some talking points here and there but his argument is not my argument.

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

No, his whole thing about lower class men being ignored or whatever is laughable and his view of women is infantile and assumes the worst from the outset. We probably agree on some talking points here and there but his argument is not my argument.

I'll concede the point that unlike you he never wrote a creepy screed on raping women.

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

stone cold posted:

ok but now you've turned the analogy into liking rape

do you not see how this reflects poorly on you

All fire is not bad and all sex is not rape. In this analogy, the university is finding people with fireplaces and dragging them into court for arson.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

You agree on literally all points. In his little screed I found no points that you haven't already independently raised.

All fire is not bad and all sex is not rape. In this analogy, the university is finding people with fireplaces and dragging them into court for arson.

Holy gently caress dude. First you defend the KKK, now you're saying that literally all sexhaving men get falsely accused of rape.

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

I'm pretty sure I wrote the analogy, and the match was those 140 "cases" versus the fire of every college student who is a victim of sexual violence, but you keep on loving those embers, duder.

sorry gamergate broke ur brain

foolish_fool
Jul 22, 2010

Smorgasbord posted:

The media and the columnists who perpetuate this have well and truly exhausted the benefit of the doubt when it comes to this topic. They have been repeatedly shown exactly why what they are saying is wrong and misleading but they continue to push it. The only conclusion possible is that they don't care that it's not correct, they care that it is popular.

The average person who reads and believes theses columns on the other hand, I agree they deserve the benefit of the doubt, which I endeavour to give them. The problem I encounter is the misrepresentation is so pervasive, and seen as so morally just that to oppose it (no matter how gently and fact based your approach) is incredibly hard to do and results in accusations and ad-hominens as displayed in this thread. I am genuinely interested in the root causes of the earnings gap, and any genuine societal problems we can fix to improve everyone's lot but I see the "gender wage gap" as an obstacle to meaningful progress on this as the falsehood dominates the narrative.

"The media" aren't really a single entity so much as a wide collection of different people. I think it is possible or even likely that there are some columnists that are deliberately misleading (from any side). And if they continue to make deliberate errors then you should obviously not trust what they say and encourage people you know to seek more reliable sources.

But, if you are saying that anyone who mentions/highlights that there is an overall gap between earnings of women and men is being misleading, then I think again, you are assigning malice or dishonesty (and indeed misleadingness) when none exists. At worst, a journalist misunderstands the boffin they are trying to talk to and makes an innocent mistake. More likely, they actually say useful things but maybe just using words or narrative you don't like? A journalist or columnist probably isn't an expert statistician but instead an entertainer and communicator, and a column is not a piece of scientific literature. And quoting an overall most basic figure to get people to read and think about stuff isn't misleading or wrong or not correct, it is just a headline, a starting point.

And I think that if you think that people are so stupid that they are going to read the first number of one article then turn off their brain, then I think you really aren't giving the audience the benefit of the doubt. People read the rest of the article. And effectively combine what new info they may have learned with their understanding of the world and society. They think and discuss with their friends. Then they read another article a month later and it adds to what they know.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

stone cold posted:

sorry gamergate broke ur brain

Apathy atrophied it first.

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Our review identified changes needed to be made and, in Stephen, we have a coach who has a reputation for demanding the highest standards.

foolish_fool posted:

"The media" aren't really a single entity so much as a wide collection of different people. I think it is possible or even likely that there are some columnists that are deliberately misleading (from any side). And if they continue to make deliberate errors then you should obviously not trust what they say and encourage people you know to seek more reliable sources.

But, if you are saying that anyone who mentions/highlights that there is an overall gap between earnings of women and men is being misleading, then I think again, you are assigning malice or dishonesty (and indeed misleadingness) when none exists. At worst, a journalist misunderstands the boffin they are trying to talk to and makes an innocent mistake. More likely, they actually say useful things but maybe just using words or narrative you don't like? A journalist or columnist probably isn't an expert statistician but instead an entertainer and communicator, and a column is not a piece of scientific literature. And quoting an overall most basic figure to get people to read and think about stuff isn't misleading or wrong or not correct, it is just a headline, a starting point.

And I think that if you think that people are so stupid that they are going to read the first number of one article then turn off their brain, then I think you really aren't giving the audience the benefit of the doubt. People read the rest of the article. And effectively combine what new info they may have learned with their understanding of the world and society. They think and discuss with their friends. Then they read another article a month later and it adds to what they know.

For the bulk of articles on this topic, the whole article and all future articles from the columnists e.g Guardian are just expansions of the misleading headline, they do not ever make any attempt to contextualise the statistics. You have to read the comments for any meaningful analysis. If you don't think the blanket coverage of gender pay gap as a headline without context directs the narrative, why do so many countries have an "Equal Pay Day" or equivalent where it is asserted that women are not paid for the rest of the year because of the pay gap? This day and the statements of organisers almost always go unchallenged by media outlets, reinforcing the 'truth' of the position in the mind of the public.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

Smorgasbord posted:

For the bulk of articles on this topic, the whole article and all future articles from the columnists e.g Guardian are just expansions of the misleading headline, they do not ever make any attempt to contextualise the statistics. You have to read the comments for any meaningful analysis. If you don't think the blanket coverage of gender pay gap as a headline without context directs the narrative, why do so many countries have an "Equal Pay Day" or equivalent where it is asserted that women are not paid for the rest of the year because of the pay gap? This day and the statements of organisers almost always go unchallenged by media outlets, reinforcing the 'truth' of the position in the mind of the public.

There is a loving pay gap! You said so yourself! What the gently caress do you actually want?

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

Smorgasbord posted:

The date is actually chosen based on how far into the year a woman in that country would have to work to earn as much as a man.

Meaningful data was given to you, and you chose to ignore it because ???

Reading internet comments for "meaningful analysis," really shows how big of a complete waste of space you are though, so thanks for sharing~

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

Somfin posted:

There is a loving pay gap! You said so yourself! What the gently caress do you actually want?

Smorgasbord posted:

You have to read the comments for any meaningful analysis.

somfin, we may have found the dumbest poster in all of sa

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

stone cold posted:

somfin, we may have found the dumbest poster in all of sa

Hold up I've got my Smorgasbord Translator up and running.

"There's a pay gap but it's not as big as people say and the headlines are misleading"
->
"I just don't want to hear about it anymore because it upsets me"

Sethex
Jun 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

OwlFancier posted:

Perhaps aggression is a learned thing rather than an immutable fact of biology.

If only we didn't teach our children to hit eachother we would not be in a world where violence exists.

Sethex
Jun 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Manchild King posted:

No sports should be segregated. And yeah, many olympics organizers are a bunch of poo poo heels.

This is a joke right? Are you prepared for 99% of competitive sports to be dominated by men and the teams to be composed 99% by men?

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Somfin posted:

But don't you know that women are biologically worse at literally all sports!?!?
I am really really sure phone doesn't think that and phrasing it like that makes the discussion worse on every level. You'd probably get further if you first agreed on what precisely you disagree.

Also it seems you've progressed (?) to a new issue now, but I still don't get why anyone was invested in the sports thing in the first place. "Dudes beat gals at arm wrestling", how is that helping either side?

Dancer
May 23, 2011

Sethex posted:

If only we didn't teach our children to hit eachother we would not be in a world where violence exists.

"learning" involves a shitload more phenomena than adults saying things to children and you're being massively disingenuous (or delusional) by implying the two are equivalent.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Dancer posted:

"learning" involves a shitload more phenomena than adults saying things to children and you're being massively disingenuous (or delusional) by implying the two are equivalent.
Learning can mean many things, and it's entirely possible Sethex happened to only recognize one (inappropriate) reading. Moreover, a charitable reading might be: our ability to intentionally influence or control the problematic trait in question is limited, and thus the trait in question is perhaps not in principle, but in practice determined. (Which I'd not agree with myself, but we don't have to start out with accusations!)

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Do you think a gay, dead subforum has any impact on society at all? How delusional are you?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Sethex posted:

I mean, uh, yeah?

I suspect you mean that rather literally and personally but that's the broad idea.

• Locked thread