Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
wateroverfire
Jul 3, 2010
The internet is like cruising down a highway in rural West Virginia. It all looks looks normal enough until you take an off ramp at 3am looking for gas. Then things get a little weird.

It was on such a ramble down the links of the interwebs that I came across the Anti-feminism movement.

Now, that anti-feminism exists shouldn't exactly be surprising. We are all familiar with the idea of a dialectic. The existence of a movement - feminism - necessarily entails the existence of an anti-movement. Taking a position on anything necessarily puts you in opposition to someone. Any attempt at change breeds some haters. But what is surprising is that often feminists and anti-feminists start from the same place to arrive at opposite conclusions.

For some context, let's look at this Op-Ed in Time Magazine that talks about the online social movement "Women Against Feminism".

quote:

Female anti-feminism is nothing new. In the 19th century, plenty of women were hostile to the women’s movement and to women who pursued nontraditional paths. In the 1970s, Marabel Morgan’s regressive manifesto The Total Woman was a top best seller, and Phyllis Schlafly led opposition to the Equal Rights Amendment. But such anti-feminism was invariably about defending women’s traditional roles. Some of today’s “women against feminism” fit that mold: they feel that feminism demeans stay-at-home mothers, or that being a “true woman” means loving to cook and clean for your man. Many others, however, say they repudiate feminism even though — indeed, because — they support equality and female empowerment:

“I don’t need feminism because I believe in equality, not entitlements and supremacy.”

“I don’t need feminism because it reinforces the men as agents/women as victims dichotomy.”

“I do not need modern feminism because it has become confused with misandry which is as bad as misogyny, and whatever I want to do or be in life, I will become through my own hard work.”

Or, more than once: “I don’t need feminism because egalitarianism is better!”

Again and again, the dissenters say that feminism belittles and demonizes men, treating them as presumptive rapists while encouraging women to see themselves as victims. “I am not a victim” and “I can take responsibility for my actions” are recurring themes. Many also challenge the notion that American women in the 21st century are “oppressed,” defiantly asserting that “the patriarchy doesn’t exist” and “there is no rape culture.”

One common response from feminists is to say that Women Against Feminism “don’t understand what feminism is” and to invoke its dictionary definition: “the theory of the political, economic and social equality of the sexes.” The new anti-feminists have a rejoinder for that, too: they’re judging modern feminism by its actions, not by the book. And here, they have a point.

Consider the #YesAllWomen Twitter hashtag, dubbed by one blogger “the Arab Spring of 21st century feminism.” Created in response to Elliot Rodger’s deadly shooting spree in Isla Vista, Calif. — and to reminders that “not all men” are violent misogynists — the tag was a relentless catalog of female victimization by male terrorism and abuse. Some of its most popular tweets seemed to literally dehumanize men, comparing them to sharks or M&M candies of which 10% are poisoned.

Consider assertions that men as a group must be taught “not to rape,” or that to accord the presumption of innocence to a man accused of sexual violence against a woman or girl is to be complicit in “rape culture.” Consider that last year, when an Ohio University student made a rape complaint after getting caught on video engaging in a drunken public sex act, she was championed by campus activists and at least one prominent feminist blogger — but a grand jury declined to hand down charges after reviewing the video of the incident and evidence that both students were inebriated.

Consider that a prominent British feminist writer, Laurie Penny, decries the notion that feminists should avoid such generalizations as “men oppress women”; in her view, all men are steeped in a woman-hating culture and “even the sweetest, gentlest man” benefits from women’s oppression. Consider, too, that an extended quote from Penny’s column was reposted by a mainstream reproductive-rights group and shared by nearly 84,000 Tumblr users in six months.

Sure, some Women Against Feminism claims are caricatures based on fringe views — for instance, that feminism mandates hairy armpits, or that feminists regard all heterosexual intercourse as rape. On the other hand, the charge that feminism stereotypes men as predators while reducing women to helpless victims certainly doesn’t apply to all feminists — but it’s a reasonably fair description of a large, influential, highly visible segment of modern feminism.

Are Women Against Feminism ignorant and naive to insist they are not oppressed? Perhaps some are too giddy with youthful optimism. But they make a strong argument that a “patriarchy” that lets women vote, work, attend college, get divorced, run for political office and own businesses on the same terms as men isn’t quite living up to its label. They also raise valid questions about politicizing personal violence along gender lines; research shows that surprisingly high numbers of men may have been raped, sometimes by women.

For the most part, Women Against Feminism are quite willing to acknowledge and credit feminism’s past battles for women’s rights in the West, as well as the severe oppression women still suffer in many parts of the world. But they also say that modern Western feminism has become a divisive and sometimes hateful force, a movement that dramatically exaggerates female woes while ignoring men’s problems, stifles dissenting views, and dwells obsessively on men’s misbehavior and women’s personal wrongs. These are trends about which feminists have voiced alarm in the past — including the movement’s founding mother Betty Friedan, who tried in the 1970s to steer feminism from the path of what she called “sex/class warfare.” Friedan would have been aghast had she known that, 50 years after she began her battle, feminist energies were being spent on bashing men who commit the heinous crime of taking too much space on the subway.

Is there still a place in modern-day America for a gender-equality movement? I think so. Work-family balance remains a real and complicated challenge. And there are gender-based cultural biases and pressures that still exist — though, in 21st century Western countries, they almost certainly affect men as much as women. A true equality movement would be concerned with the needs and interests of both sexes. It would, for instance, advocate for all victims of domestic and sexual violence regardless of gender — and for fairness to those accused of these offenses. It would support both women and men as workers and as parents.

Should such a movement take back feminism — or, as the new egalitarians suggest, give up on the label altogether because of its inherent connotations of advocating for women only? I’m not sure what the answer is. But Women Against Feminism are asking the right questions. And they deserve to be heard, not harangued. As one of the group’s graphics says, “I have my own mind. Please stop fem-splaining it to me.”

Links in the original article. These are women asserting themselves in their own words. One common theme is that feminism in practice differs sharply from feminism in theory - that feminists who do things like presume to speak for all women, engage in mysandry, and encourage women to be fearful of men - do not speak for them. Feminists will counter that academic or intellectual feminism doesn't include those things, but as the article says - the way people act is often not consistent with what's in the book.

How much of anti-feminism is recursive irony versus genuine differences of approach vs being annoyed at being shouted down because you agree 98% vs 100%? I don't know, but let's talk about it ITT.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Edit: actually you know what I'm awful at this so never mind.

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Jan 23, 2017

wateroverfire
Jul 3, 2010

Pollyanna posted:

Edit: actually you know what I'm awful at this so never mind.

I don't think you're awful! There's nothing wrong with expressing an idea that's not fully formed and talking around it to develop it better, IMO. That's good discussion. It doesn't have to be perfect, just post.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
so is this the place for anti-feminist movements/people in general, like Elam, Roosh, Sommers, HBB, etc

wateroverfire
Jul 3, 2010

Cease to Hope posted:

so is this the place for anti-feminist movements/people in general, like Elam, Roosh, Sommers, HBB, etc

Sure. I envisioned it as a place to pull the movement / participants into the light and examine them in a neutral (or derogatory, or whatever, but let's talk about it) way. What are they saying and why do they exist? In what ways are they a response to practical feminism and in what way are they something else? That sort of thing.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
This thread will be people just unironically posting their anti-women opinions by the third page.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

This thread will be people just unironically posting their anti-women opinions by the third page.

that's optimistic.

wateroverfire
Jul 3, 2010

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

What sort of opinions do you think people will be posting that are anti-women? Asking unironically - feminists dismissing some views as anti-women or uninformed or etc, even when they come from women who identify as feminists, is actually a complaint of the "women against feminism" movement.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
ch sommers is an aei pundit who specializes in redirecting feminist arguments to right wing goals. feminism is somehow hurting boys in schools (she doesn't know poo poo about pedagogy so she doesn't really articulate how) so privatize schools. women are oppressed in iran so bomb iran. queer women and black women are co-opting feminism from ACTUAL women wink wink.

roosh v is just get-rich-quick scam artist except that he's a rapist instead of an entrepreneur. he doesn't really go in for ideology past "women deserve it" and "secretly women like being coerced". the community he helped create is important because how-to spaces are vulnerable for fringe ideology and cult recruiting, and a lot of out and proud neofascists got started here.

a voice for men and the various mra spinoffs require some more effort another time, but it's important to remember that paul elam, founder of AVFM, decided he had to prevent women from ruling his life because his mother tried to force him to take his diarrhea pills.

btw i recommend setting ground rules about atheism/rationality, gamergate, and neofash, because if you're gonna talk about anti-feminism on the internet, there's a whole lot of overlap.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
I did some research myslef, and came to the conclusion that GBS respects women

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015
Sommers is kind of funny since a lot of mainstream feminism never actually stopped being white feminism (and straight, middle class, cis) writ large, and it's still not exactly hard to find dumb poo poo like political lesbians, racist suburbans, swerfs and terfs even within the movement, which contributes to a lot of mistrust from minority groups.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
yeah. she usually writes aei talking point white papers for a conservative woman audience - not the sort of person you'd encounter too often outside of, like, national review or the federalist. but she was catching the youtube anti-feminist wave at exactly the right time to latch onto gamergate.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Anti-feminism isn't new nor did it start with the internet. The movement has been opposed since at least women were fighting in the U.S. for the right to vote. The main thing that bothers me about the anti-feminism movement is that it's entirely about "us vs. them." All comparisons made are done with a "well women do this too" or "but men have this to worry about." These arguments are weak and not relevant. No one has to identify as feminist and at the same time can still be for equality, but when your entire reason for being is "the other side is a bunch of doodoo heads" then you lose all ground.

And none of this is to say there aren't a lot of complaints about the feminism movement. I find it weird when I see men who are feminist and their only focus is on women's issues, usually speaking over women and telling them how they need to believe a certain point of view in order to be a true feminist. Or the Tumblr.com level of feminism which is just "what Harry Potter character is your personal sexual preference of the month?"

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Gonna be a lot of trilby hats in this thread.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
Here's Matt Forney, author of "How to Beat Your Girlfriend or Wife and Get Away with It," trying to start poo poo with antifas and getting chased down the street. Enjoy.

https://youtu.be/KNlCCqd0SY4

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

I said come in! posted:

Anti-feminism isn't new nor did it start with the internet. The movement has been opposed since at least women were fighting in the U.S. for the right to vote. The main thing that bothers me about the anti-feminism movement is that it's entirely about "us vs. them." All comparisons made are done with a "well women do this too" or "but men have this to worry about." These arguments are weak and not relevant. No one has to identify as feminist and at the same time can still be for equality, but when your entire reason for being is "the other side is a bunch of doodoo heads" then you lose all ground.
From the article, the argument seems more to be "A too significant portion of the feminist movement champions negative policies, or uses arguments that are tied into a hateful view of men, for us to be able to support it" On the face of it, that seems like a pretty reasonable reason to object, if you accept their characterization.

Yadoppsi
May 10, 2009

A Buttery Pastry posted:

"A too significant portion of the feminist movement champions negative policies, or uses arguments that are tied into a hateful view of men, for us to be able to support it" On the face of it, that seems like a pretty reasonable reason to object, if you accept their characterization.

True, IF you accept their characterization. This thought isn't fully formed but I don't see why "anti-feminist" women can't stand under the Feminist umbrella because of the presence of women under there who don't agree with them 100%. I'm not ditching feminism because of the trans exclusionary policies a small group of self-identified feminist have.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Yadoppsi posted:

True, IF you accept their characterization. This thought isn't fully formed but I don't see why "anti-feminist" women can't stand under the Feminist umbrella because of the presence of women under there who don't agree with them 100%. I'm not ditching feminism because of the trans exclusionary policies a small group of self-identified feminist have.
You said it yourself. You call it a "small group of self-identified feminists", whereas the objection presented here seems to be against a group large enough that it helps shape the public perception of feminism to a strong degree. Again, if you accept their characterization is their honest perception.

Futuresight
Oct 11, 2012

IT'S ALL TURNED TO SHIT!
I think feminism got into trouble with a lot of those people when it made the movement the same word as the concept. Kinda like you could have anti-communist communists in a country with a communist party if they were communists who disagreed with the communist party; you can have anti-feminism feminists if people who agree with the concept of feminism do not like the feminism movement. Plus the whole trying to equate feminism with absolute gender equality rather than one aspect of the struggle for gender equality was always going to piss people off and should probably not have been attempted.

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

wateroverfire posted:

What sort of opinions do you think people will be posting that are anti-women? Asking unironically - feminists dismissing some views as anti-women or uninformed or etc, even when they come from women who identify as feminists, is actually a complaint of the "women against feminism" movement.

So wait, being anti-women and having that dismissed by feminists as such, and then getting mad about it is valid?

Can you provide an example where you think this is wrong, op?

Also, op, hypothetical scenario. A man runs a company and pays the women who work for him 60% of what they're worth. Not only that, he boasts about it everywhere, in real life and online! What would the anti-feminist response be to such a man?

Would it be, us dames should be grateful to have a job, or what, I'm not sure about the paradigm?

Anti-feminism on its face seems to drink very deeply from the well of misogyny, and it's a pretty unpleasant thing to see these women have internalized so well.

falcon2424
May 2, 2005

stone cold posted:

quote:

Asking unironically - feminists dismissing some views as anti-women or uninformed or etc, even when they come from women who identify as feminists, is actually a complaint of the "women against feminism" movement.
So wait, being anti-women and having that dismissed by feminists as such, and then getting mad about it is valid?

I think you misunderstood the objection.

The anti-feminists don't see themselves as anti-women. They'd say that they're disagreeing about what policies are good for women.

IronDoge
Nov 6, 2008

Here's an overly long copy/paste Facebook statement that's been infecting my feed:

quote:

I am not a "disgrace to women" because I don't support the women's march. I do not feel I am a "second class citizen" because I am a woman. I do not feel my voice is "not heard" because I am a woman. I do not feel I am not provided opportunities in this life or in America because I am a woman. I do not feel that I "don't have control of my body or choices" because I am a woman. I do not feel like I am " not respected or undermined" because I am a woman. I am not a "victim" because you say I am.
I AM a woman.
I can make my own choices.
I can speak and be heard.
I can VOTE.
I can work if I want.
I control my body.
I can defend myself.
I can defend my family.
There is nothing stopping me from doing anything in this world but MYSELF.
I do not blame my circumstances or problems on anything other than my own choices or even that sometimes in life, we don't always get what we want. I take responsibility for myself.
I am a mother, a daughter, a wife, a sister, a friend. I am not held back in life but only by the walls I choose to not go over which is a personal choice.
Quit blaming.
Take responsibility.
If you want to speak, do so. But do not expect for me, a woman, to take you seriously wearing a pink va-jay-jay hat on your head and screaming profanities and bashing men.
If you have beliefs, and speak to me in a kind matter, I will listen. But do not expect for me to change my beliefs to suit yours. Respect goes both ways.
If you want to impress me, especially in regards to women, then speak on the real injustices and tragedies that affect women in foreign countries that do not have the opportunity or means to have their voices heard.
Saudi Arabia, women can't drive, no rights and must always be covered.
China and India, infantcide of baby girls.
Afghanistan, unequal education rights.
Democratic Republic of Congo, where rapes are brutal and women are left to die, or HIV infected and left to care for children alone.
Mali, where women can not escape the torture of genital mutilation.
Pakistan, in tribal areas where women are gang raped to pay for men's crime.
Guatemala, the impoverished female underclass of Guatemala faces domestic violence, rape and the second-highest rate of HIV/AIDS after sub-Saharan Africa. An epidemic of gruesome unsolved murders has left hundreds of women dead, some of their bodies left with hate messages. Or the 7 year old girls being sold or married off to 60 year old men, Or the millions of women sold and bought into sex trafficking.
And that's just a few examples.
So when women get together in AMERICA and whine they don't have equal rights and march in their clean clothes, after eating a hearty breakfast, and it's like a vacation away that they have paid for to get there...
This WOMAN does not support it.

Copy and paste to your wall if you are a woman and agree

tl;dr: Women here have it better than third-world countries, so you marching for equals rights is dumb.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice
I guess not being gang raped to pay for my crimes is the best she thinks a woman can aspire to.

(Is help available for this woman? If so, she should talk to a professional about whatever's happening to her that's better than being a child sex slave. I bet it's being beaten, but it might be having a loved one with cancer, which is also marginally better than being part of hundreds of murders, and which there's also help for.)

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
It took nearly a decade, a bartending job where she got hit on daily by gross old married men, and her dad leaving her mom for someone half his age and blaming her for it for my GF to finally ditch the whole anti-feminism thing. She was raised by a woman who believes women shouldn't be allowed to vote though so it's understandable how some of those things can get ingrained.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

IronDoge posted:

Here's an overly long copy/paste Facebook statement that's been infecting my feed:

tl;dr: Women here have it better than third-world countries, so you marching for equals rights is dumb.

And the follow up to that argument is that getting slapped is better than getting stabbed, but neither would be preferable.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

falcon2424 posted:

I think you misunderstood the objection.

The anti-feminists don't see themselves as anti-women. They'd say that they're disagreeing about what policies are good for women.

Nobody of consequence is against the mere existence of (cis) women for obvious reasons.

LargeHadron
May 19, 2009

They say, "you mean it's just sounds?" thinking that for something to just be a sound is to be useless, whereas I love sounds just as they are, and I have no need for them to be anything more than what they are.

IronDoge posted:

Ugh yeah, my mom and a couple aunts posted this one. Not surprisingly, I have never heard any of them mention the plight of women in third-world countries, ever. It's almost as though this was a convenient thing to say in order to feel morally superior to the women who marched. Also, I sincerely doubt it would "impress" any of them to see people marching in support of women in third-world countries. At best it would be ignored, at worst they'd find some reason to hate it because they would associate it with left-wing politics. That chain post comes off as so phony to me, and I'm very disappointed that so many of my family members liked it.

Sorry, I had to get that out. It's been bugging me and I couldn't say all of that to my mom. I like this thread though...I'll think of a way to contribute to it more constructively.

Ian Winthorpe III
Dec 5, 2013

gays, fatties and women are the main funny things in life. Fuck those lefty tumblrfuck fags, I'll laugh at poofs and abbos if I want to
Many prominent advocates of feminism seem to give off the impression of being unhappy and constantly aggrieved - i would think that some of the backlash against feminism is from women (and men for that matter) who look at the standard-bearers of the movement and don't see somebody they would want to emulate.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Ian Winthorpe III posted:

Many prominent advocates of feminism seem to give off the impression of being unhappy and constantly aggrieved - i would think that some of the backlash against feminism is from women (and men for that matter) who look at the standard-bearers of the movement and don't see somebody they would want to emulate.

For example, who?

Ian Winthorpe III
Dec 5, 2013

gays, fatties and women are the main funny things in life. Fuck those lefty tumblrfuck fags, I'll laugh at poofs and abbos if I want to

Cease to Hope posted:

For example, who?

Laurie Penny, Lena Dunham, Anita Sarkesian, Jessica Valenti, Amanda Marcotte

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Laurie Penny, Lena Dunham, Anita Sarkesian, Jessica Valenti, Amanda Marcotte

Dunham aside, can you point to some examples of these writers being particularly "aggrieved"? It seems especially out of place for Penny and Sarkeesian. Doubly so for Sarkeesian compared to the typically apoplectic tone of YouTube video game criticism.

Cease to Hope fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Jan 23, 2017

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Unsurprisingly it's hard to affect an optimistic tone when discussing gender inequality. Would you suggest they smile more?

Ian Winthorpe III
Dec 5, 2013

Deified Data posted:

Unsurprisingly it's hard to affect an optimistic tone when discussing gender inequality. Would you suggest they smile more?

Im not suggesting the do anything, just saying that constant critique might alienate some people whose lives do not revolve so much around culture wars and online activism.

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015
They're free to not watch femfreq on a loop; like, it's barely feminism 101 to begin with.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Im not suggesting the do anything, just saying that constant critique might alienate some people whose lives do not revolve so much around culture wars and online activism.

There's nothing actionable in this. Critics can really be less critical. If people don't like criticism of the status quo because it's too critical, that's their problem.

Futuresight
Oct 11, 2012

IT'S ALL TURNED TO SHIT!
To be fair the OP just asked for ideas and talk around this phenomenon, not solutions.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Excluding Dunham no one knows who those people are unless they're a culture warrior of some degree.

Also I don't know how one changes a culture other than critiquing it. If it alienates some it'll inspire others.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Higsian posted:

To be fair the OP just asked for ideas and talk around this phenomenon, not solutions.

It's not even an idea. People characterize their gut reaction to ideas they don't like as some sort of non-specific problem with the speaker's manner.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
It's also worth mentioning that painting feminists as humourless and unable to feel joy is a big part of how anti-feminists promote their cause. A lot of this image of feminists comes from specifically what those mocking them decide to promote the most. If we're assigning blame (and i can't tell if we are or Just Asking Some Questions) then it's as much due to whatever trends in media as a whole allow for this image to gain traction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feb 2, 2016

by R. Guyovich
Feminism has been completely hijacked by attention seeking SJW's that scream about completely meaningless nothings and then get OUTRAGED when the general population does not give a poo poo. Ten minutes later the topic is dropped and never mentioned again as the next OUTRAGE has happened.

• Locked thread