Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I think Her really got the ball rolling in 2014 with a man wanting to gently caress his ipod.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

The truth behind Apple removing the headphone socket finally revealed.

BioThermo
Feb 18, 2014

https://twitter.com/veronicamarche/status/970468300303069184

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

The Lonely Island wrote a song for the ceremony that got rejected because it might have been a little expensive

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x7DssfaYi5w

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

I SUPPORT ALL THE PREDATORS

nerve posted:

Are these fuckable jokes based off one movie winning this year or is there more to it that I'm missing

I think it’s based on Shape of Water but it arguably started when American Pie won best original screenplay.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

i am the bird posted:

I think it’s based on Shape of Water but it arguably started when American Pie won best original screenplay.

... that didn't happen.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

DC Murderverse posted:

The Lonely Island wrote a song for the ceremony that got rejected because it might have been a little expensive

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x7DssfaYi5w

drat. That was great as just a lovely barebones mock up, that would have been so good if it had been made!

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Shape of Water was fine but just feels weird that it's the Best Picture. Not sure it would even break my top 10 for the year.

Also I get that Meryl Streep is a great actress but that movie sucked and the role wasn't as big a deal as others. Kristen Stewart should have been nominated and for some reason keeps getting snubbed.

I guess my issue with the Oscars is they zero in on like 5 movies and forget everything else exists.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

I saw the Post and I could not get past Hanks accent. It felt like very bad parody.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

I saw the Post and I could not get past Hanks accent. It felt like very bad parody.

Hanks has always been terrible at Northeastern accents.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

Timby posted:

Hanks has always been terrible at Northeastern accents.

Knawk Knawk

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Niwrad posted:

Shape of Water was fine but just feels weird that it's the Best Picture. Not sure it would even break my top 10 for the year.

Also I get that Meryl Streep is a great actress but that movie sucked and the role wasn't as big a deal as others. Kristen Stewart should have been nominated and for some reason keeps getting snubbed.

I guess my issue with the Oscars is they zero in on like 5 movies and forget everything else exists.

I mean, it certainly isn't the best FILM of the year (my picks were Phantom Thread, mother!, Dunkirk, and Blade Runner), but if you look at the Best Picture category (a producer's award) I think it was obvious from moment one, and a lot of people have been deluding themselves if they thought that it didn't have the qualities voters look for. I walked out of that film in December and said to myself "that's winning Best Picture." It's a nice, pretty and somewhat timely film made by a relative outsider that did gangbusters at the Specialty Box Office, and will continue to sell.

The things that were going against Shape winning Best Picture were

- the film subtly depicts female masturbation (which is or has been taboo forever)
- the film has some casual, relatively tasteful nudity
- the film carries a very subtle critique of the corporate/military industrial complex diseased mindset, but it's a fairly naive/safe critique

That's it. Shape literally ticks every other box of acceptability for narrative storytelling. If you don't believe me, take a look at the history of Best Picture category and see that most legit legendary films over the last century didn't even get NOMINATED

https://www.avclub.com/do-the-wrong-thing-90-years-90-movies-that-should-hav-1823328066

Le Saboteur posted:

The snubs in the In Memorium are kind of loving egregious this year...Tobe Hooper.

loving OUCH.

Chernabog posted:

20 million. That's not a lot by Hollywood standards.

The production design on that movie is incredible at that price tag.

BeanpolePeckerwood fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Mar 6, 2018

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

I'm getting triggered over Road to Perdition right now

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
They should take the whole "fish sex period piece" into the late 60s and make Bob & Carol & Squid & Whale

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
A Fish Called Wanda reboot

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

General Dog posted:

They should take the whole "fish sex period piece" into the late 60s and make Bob & Carol & Squid & Whale

this is really funny thank you

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

https://twitter.com/RightWingWatch/status/971809897607303168?s=20

quote:

“The Academy Award ceremonies this week provided the best film and best director Oscar to a violation of the worst possible sexual sin mentioned in Leviticus chapter 18. Maybe I’ll just leave it there, I don’t want to defile the ears of my listeners. But this was another milestone in the moral degradation of Hollywood and the nation itself.  What it did was it presented the ultimate sexual depravity—and, again, I don’t want anyone thinking what this is—but the ultimate sexual depravity as presented in Leviticus 18 is presented in this movie as a tender and romantic and a beautiful thing.

“Even saying that is just disgusting. God says, ‘Be careful, I might just bring this to you if you violate my law to the level of egregiousness contained in the moral commands in Leviticus 18.’ It’s these abominable practices that are being committed in this nation today and glorified at the highest echelons of the nation.”

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

More proof that people on the far right have zero imagination and absolutely no capacity for reading film as anything but literal.

Also hilarious that of all things, God will smite the country over a loving movie, rather than none of the current atrocities our government is committing on a daily basis.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

He can’t even bring himself to describe fish-love, is he just going to cover his eyes and run screaming past the DVD displays in Walmart next week?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

People having sex with fish is the logical endpoint of the gay agenda, and I'm glad of it.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Cool, thanks for bringing this loving idiot to peoples attention. Just what he wanted.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

They're both fish people, he just broke the hymen on her neck.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

It's highly amusing that he resorts to Leviticus to make his point, since Old Testament law was only ever binding upon the Israelites.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
We all descended from fish anyway

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

That's it. Shape literally ticks every other box of acceptability for narrative storytelling. If you don't believe me, take a look at the history of Best Picture category and see that most legit legendary films over the last century didn't even get NOMINATED

https://www.avclub.com/do-the-wrong-thing-90-years-90-movies-that-should-hav-1823328066
I don't know man. A lot of these choices aren't actually that distinct in being the obvious best picture of the year.

In general I think the list of nominations was fine. In my perfect world without consideration for categories, the nominees would have been:

Phantom Thread
Three Billboards
Shape of Water
Get Out
Dunkirk
The Florida Project
Bladerunner 2049
A Fantastic Woman
Last Men in Aleppo

Last Men in Aleppo is the most important movie of the year and Icarus beating it is absolutely disgusting. Last Men in Aleppo is a living artifact of there being truly and unequivocally good people in our world, and how the world grinds them down. It's one of those documentaries like The Act of Killing and Harlan County that really act more like capsules of a greater truth about humanity. But the categorization of the Oscars makes it hard for docs and foreign films which Last Men In Aleppo is both.

Florida Project is a beautiful movie and deserved a best actress nomination and probably a directorial nomination. But I think it's still a messy film, and understandable for why it wouldn't have ultimately won.

Bladerunner 2049 deserved a nomination on the merit of being a well-made movie, but I think it's very fair to say that Shape of Water, Three Billboards, and Get Out were more culturally relevant films.

In short, yeah, the Oscar list could have been better, but not by much. Outside of The Florida Project, I think it's understandable why the other three nominees I wish were up there weren't there. And even then, I get why The Florida Project wouldn't have won.

An incredibly well-made erotic Creature from the Black Lagoon fan film (And let us be clear, there is very little to not make us just assume that the monster in the film is literally the Creature from the Black Lagoon) directed by the director of Blade II and staring as its romantic lead an actress over 40 who is very rarely portrayed as beautiful or sexy in films being allowed to be beautiful and sexy while also being very blunt and direct about female sexuality won Best Picture of the year. I think the goalpost shifting to make it seem like some safe choice is a little silly.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

mother! was better than all of them

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Mother was terrible.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

vyst posted:

Mother was terrible.

Quite the opposite.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

My ultra-conservative mother inferred that anyone going to see mother! risks going to hell for sacrilege.

Meanwhile, I've seen The Holy Mountain half a dozen times. :allears:

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

mother! was better than all of them

LOL no loving way.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

Timeless Appeal posted:

I think the goalpost shifting to make it seem like some safe choice is a little silly.

I dunno, I thought that about it going in, but then the fact it's basically just a love letter to the golden age of Hollywood completely turned me around on it not being a 'safe choice'. It annoyed me because it actually felt like pandering to the selection committee to me. It didn't really seem to say much with it or have much bearing on the plot.

I was also pretty miffed, that the first thing I ever saw about the movie at all (hadn't heard of it, didn't know what I was being shown at all) was a teaser trailer, that gave away the entire plot. I thought, "That looked great, but I wish I hadn't just seen the entire film". And, I had. The entire film. I think possibly it missed out her Neighbour's subplot? Even still, there wasn't a single surprise throughout the entire movie, other than the above, which wasn't a pleasant one. Which isn't to say it wasn't fantastic, it absolutely was. But... Eh. It was 'Oscar Movie' fantastic.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Groovelord Neato posted:

LOL no loving way.

Way.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

at least your taste in games isn't poo poo.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Hey man, I thought Phantom Thread, The Square, and Killing of a Sacred Deer were very very close to that top slot, (also Blade Runner and CMBYN were good) but no movie defied my expectations more in 2017 than mother! It was an awesome theater experience for me and I think it will be remembered long after films like Darkest Hour, Shape of Water, and Three Billboards fade from the public consciousness.

It's the first film in a decade or more that I felt immediately qualified for late-night cult theater status, and the things it has to say about our culture and our world are both timely, uncomfortable and universal. I'm obviously an enormous champion for mother! and if that leads you to discount my entire perspective on current and classic film, well, then so be it...

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Egbert Souse posted:

My ultra-conservative mother inferred that anyone going to see mother! risks going to hell for sacrilege.

Meanwhile, I've seen The Holy Mountain half a dozen times. :allears:

The Holy Mountain loving owns, and is probably one of the best anti-capitalist films I've seen in my life.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

how come you didn't name the movie that actually will be remembered long after mother.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Groovelord Neato posted:

how come you didn't name the movie that actually will be remembered long after mother.

I assume you're suggesting Get Out?

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

mother! was very good if you've never seen a biblical allegory before and also loved birdman

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

R. Guyovich posted:

mother! was very good if you've never seen a biblical allegory before and also loved birdman

It's more Gnostic/Talmudic than biblical, which is why so many tools kid themselves about it being obvious and easy, because they misinterpret narrative structure as narrative text.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

characterizing the artistic process as an execution of some deeper, divine will is pretty much always navel-gazing horseshit, no matter which scripture is being used to frame it

• Locked thread