Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

I hope the poster kicks their friend in the groin on the way out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dial-a-Dog
May 22, 2001

Pick posted:

Reminds me of the earlier one about homemade gifts where the one niece was like "obviously bought gifts are better!!!"

Yeah, there's a certain sort of person for whom any gift you didn't buy (never mind raw materials and time) doesn't count. If she'd told her friend she commissioned it on Etsy she'd have probably liked it better, but since she made it herself it may as well have been macaroni art

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Pick posted:

Reminds me of the earlier one about homemade gifts where the one niece was like "obviously bought gifts are better!!!"

And this reminds me of the one about a guy who wanted to propose to his girlfriend, but they don't have a lot of money so he designed a ring and asked his grandfather (an actual jeweler iirc) to craft it. The girlfriend responded by losing her poo poo because she has this really warped "more money spent = more love shown" attitude and hated the ring, thinking the boyfriend didn't love her enough or something.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Mak0rz posted:

And this reminds me of the one about a guy who wanted to propose to his girlfriend, but they don't have a lot of money so he designed a ring and asked his grandfather (an actual jeweler iirc) to craft it. The girlfriend responded by losing her poo poo because she has this really warped "more money spent = more love shown" attitude and hated the ring, thinking the boyfriend didn't love her enough or something.

Which reminds me of the one where the girl didn't even want a ring and yet the dude bought a $15k one because society told him to.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Mak0rz posted:

These stories always cheer me up cause hot drat did that guy ever dodge a bullet

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Actually I'd like to read that story again because it was kind of insane. I have no idea where it was first posted but I know I read it here on SA, possibly some iteration of this thread, so maybe it was r/relationships afterall.

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

These stories always cheer me up cause hot drat did that guy ever dodge a bullet

I'm not sure if he even dumped her despite the unanimous opinion that he should have.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

all of those stories except the handcrafted engagement ring from grandpa are in this thread

Dial-a-Dog
May 22, 2001
And those wedding ring stories remind me of the one where a couple was going to heavily involve one partner's insatiable cuck fetish in their wedding ceremony, what a ride we've had here in the r/relationships thread

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Clark Nova posted:

all of those stories except the handcrafted engagement ring from grandpa are in this thread

That's the one I want to read again, though :saddowns:

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

WampaLord posted:

Which reminds me of the one where the girl didn't even want a ring and yet the dude bought a $15k one because society told him to.

"society" in this case being an ad for de beers that became so pervasive people repeat it as a truism

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

Mak0rz posted:

That was in the previous thread that eventually got derailed and locked over I believe a pedo argument, good story though.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

It was also fake as hell because the girlfriend was a Redpill character

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Oh well while searching for it I did find this one but it was made 6 months ago so I dunno if it's already made the rounds here

quote:

My [22F] boyfriend [24M] of 5 years has bought me a "vanity" engagement ring?

Hi all.

So a few weeks ago a mysterious package arrived for my boyfriend and wouldn't tell me what was in it. I just left it as something personal. I was tidying up his shelves because he collects a lot of merchandise and it was getting dusty. We share a studio flat so space is limited and dust makes me sneeze so I have to keep it wiped down.

I found two boxes I'd never seen before, they were white cardboard and said final fantasy on them. I opened one to see what merchandise my bf had forgotten to show me (he always shows them off) and inside one was an engagement ring. Yay right? The issue is.. its an official final fantasy engagement ring and pendant cloned from Serahs.

Final fantasy is his favourite game in the world. I don't really like it much myself, I'll watch him play it but I won't play the single player games. I did play FFxiv for a short time but it was nothing super to me.

I looked it up and these sets were $229 each and he had bought 2. We have discussed marriage lately so I would assume he was planning to propose, why would you buy 2 if you were only buying them for merchandise?

I don't know how to react when he proposes. I feel like he's bought something special to him that has no relevance to me. I feel hurt, I don't want to look at this ring and just think about him comparing me to his favourite video game.

What should I do? Should I tell him I found it? Shall I wait for him to propose? I don't want to hurt his feelings but I don't think he's considered me at all in his decision, he's just fanboy purchased this.
Thanks a lot.

TLDR : Boyfriend bought me a final fantasy engagement ring because he loves the game and I don't like it myself.

Edit: ive updated some info for clarification. I'm not trying to come across as a materialistic bitch, I still wear a cheap ring he got me 4 years ago that turns my finger green.

Professor Shark posted:

Don't ruin this for me, professor :mad:

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Professor Shark posted:

no actually narcissists or at least very selfish people exist

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

Mak0rz posted:

Oh well while searching for it I did find this one but it was made 6 months ago so I dunno if it's already made the rounds here
This was posted as well as some followups, iirc the boyfriend did propose with the ff jewelry and immediately started wearing his around constantly and getting upset with her for not wanting to wear them or something.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

I think the Final Fantasy replica engagement ring story has been here before, but it's still amazing.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

ArbitraryC posted:

This was posted as well as some followups, iirc the boyfriend did propose with the ff jewelry and immediately started wearing his around constantly and getting upset with her for not wanting to wear them or something.

lol

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

[UPDATE]My [22F] boyfriend [24M] of 5 years has bought me a "vanity" engagement ring?Updates

quote:

Hi all, my original post was: https://www.reddit.com/r/relationships/comments/4pmaof/my_22f_boyfriend_24m_of_5_years_has_bought_me_a/
TLDR; I found out that my boyfriend had bought me a final fantasy engagement ring/pendant set because it's his favourite video game but I have no interest in it really, nor wearing a video game character's bling.
Hello all!
Thanks so much for all the useful information and help last time around. I really appreciate all the PMs you sent me :) It's been a month since I posted and wouldn't you know - I have an update!
Last week was my 23rd birthday, and as I had predicted, my boyfriend proposed. I did my best to be surprised (lol :O!) but he was so nervous that I don't think he really registered anything I said besides "yes!", so I am now engaged :) hurrah! (If you want the details, he took me to a field full of flowers an hours walk away from our how that I showed to him when he visited me for the first time, it was late in the evening, there were lots of bugs biting us, and wouldn't you know it started raining buckets -woo england- but oh well, it is a great memory to have!)
My boyfriend put the ring on my finger, it did fit which is amazing because I have really small hands (the last ring he bought me fell off if I held my arm downwards) and it was supposedly the default size the ring came in.. so I feel bad for anyone with normal/big hands who got that ring!
I hadn't actually looked at the ring when I previously opened the box, I was too distracted by the huge pendant. But the ring is pretty dainty, It's not diamond or anything but I don't care! Due to my boney fingers however, it only just fits over my knuckle but it's loose enough to swing around my finger itself so the gem keeps going face down (oh well! - can't exactly get finger surgery lol)
Now as for the pendant, I let my boyfriend put it on when he proposed to me but the next day I said to him I'm not really happy to wear it all the time, maybe on special occasions. 1) I don't feel safe with this huge thing hanging down my front, as I have a history of snapping necklaces and 2) It's very unique looking and doesn't really suit my tastes. Plus the idea of wearing video game jewellery every day is a bit mmehhh to me. He was a bit sad as he has actually been wearing his copy (yep, the second set was for him) every day since we got engaged. The ring doesn't fit him but.. I don't know if guys are even supposed to wear engagement rings? Promise rings and wedding rings yes but I have no idea about engagement rings.
We don't have a date for the wedding yet as we are both about to start doing degrees so money is tight. But it will happen :)
Thanks again everyone!
TLDR; boyfriend did propose with the final fantasy ring/pendant set, the other copy was for him, I told him I didn't really want to wear the pendant.
Edit: for those of you saying I didn't address the original problem, I understand where you are coming from. But looking back at what I said before I was being a bit harsh. We are both about to start degrees on the side of full time work to pay for them, so we aren't exactly loaded. It is fine that he didn't buy me a 1k platinum diamond encrusted ring. Being engaged is about spending your life with someone you love, not about the ring on your finger.
In the future perhaps we will discuss getting a different ring but for now everything is peachy. Sure the original problem was he picked a game he loved to be part of the engagement but I won't let him pick a disaster for the wedding ring, that's for sure. I don't think I'll want to wear both any way. My partner understands that I didn't appreciate the final fantasy aspect of the proposal but he's happy to wear his pendant and I'm happy to wear my ring that's all that really matters. We have a very happy and healthy relationship so I don't think there is a problem.
2nd Edit: lol im not going to have a final fantasy themed wedding or let him name our kids after video game characters, you guys are crazy.
I know it's not "mature" he proposed with a ff ring but he's not an obsessed psycho it's not like he has tattoos of the game on his forehead nor bedsheets of the characters.
I know the ring is "cheap" according to some of you but it'll probably just end up being a placeholder, I don't need an expensive ring right NOW. The marriage isn't about the ring it's about being happy.
For those of you still saying why didn't I address the original issue. I chose to let him do what he wanted, maybe it was one his dreams to propose like that, I don't know? Just because it wasn't perfect doesn't mean I need to jump up and down and throw a hissy fit. He understands im not super keen on the pendant, fair enough, we'll look at alternatives in the future.
And for those saying we'll crash and burn, I really hope you can feel the way I do some day (happy!)

Looks like it had a bit happier ending than I remembered

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

ThePeavstenator posted:

no actually narcissists or at least very selfish people exist

The one I remember featured terrible dialogue with Redpill Woman and Latino caricatures iirc, if he'd left the dialogue out I doubt it would have been noticeable

Dial-a-Dog
May 22, 2001

ArbitraryC posted:

[UPDATE]My [22F] boyfriend [24M] of 5 years has bought me a "vanity" engagement ring?Updates

I don't care what she says, she didn't use a throwaway and has recent posts admitting they met in WoW and just did FF7 cosplay, they are absolutely having a final fantasy theme wedding and naming their kid Sephiroth

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

imo its cool and good that this is apparently so common a scenario that such a thing as an "Official Final Fantasy Engagement Ring" exists

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

Earwicker posted:

imo its cool and good that this is apparently so common a scenario that such a thing as an "Official Final Fantasy Engagement Ring" exists

you can buy an in-game engagement ring in Team Fortress 2 (at least you could a couple years ago) for like $100 and it alerts everyone on the server when you give it to someone

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
My [46F] Final Fantasy engagement ring turned out to be a bootleg

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Fullhouse posted:

you can buy an in-game engagement ring in Team Fortress 2 (at least you could a couple years ago) for like $100 and it alerts everyone on the server when you give it to someone

It alerts everyone on every server, to be fair.

military cervix
Dec 24, 2006

Hey guys
There was a post a few pages back, but there's an update that takes this thing in a whole other direction:

quote:

My wife[33 F] was cheating on me [32 M] and got mad at me while cheating for being jealous.
So, I'm recovering from a recent infidelity. While she was cheating on me, she would get furious at me and distant if I got jealous and suspicious of her behavior. She would say "you are pushing me away further" every time I questioned her. She would lie to me and make me feel like I'm crazy for suspecting anything. She just kept lying to me over and over and then getting mad more and more for being Jealous. Also, even though she knew I suspected her, she kept on cheating. The evidence I had was that I found some bad pictures that were sent via snap chat. She lied about it and said that I was crazy for suspecting her for cheating. She said someone hacked into her phone. I would also find little snippets on her ipad of fb message notifications. Well of course the messages got deleted before I could read them.
I finally found out about it all and she is very remorseful and we are on the right track to building trust, but can't answer why she got mad at me for being jealous even though it was warranted? Was she just mad I was trying to ruin her fun? She did not stop at even though I knew something was wrong. I just want to get some opinion on her logic on getting mad at me.

quote:

Update I really should have added this to the post: So, I'm going to give all you guys some more background information on our whole issue with our marriage. Our marriage has been bad for a long time. She initially wasn't like this to where she wouldn't cheat like this behind my back. She was faithful to me and did a lot for me. She gave me love and affection too. I on the other hand was very ungrateful and didn't support her like I should have. I didn't help out around the house. I wasn't affectionate to her. I then started to gain a lot of weight and let myself go. She does make more money than I do. So, I would rack up charges on our credit cards for fast food purchases behind her back and I would lie to her constantly on stopping the spending on the cards....so she has been busting her rear end off to work overtime for our bills and I have been just lazy. I also started to not be confident in myself and act very insecure around her.

She would also claim that I had no sexual attraction to her. No for my side of this. I do suffer from ADHD or even mild autism as I've noticed recently over the years. I have issues with mental exhaustion drain because of it. This would in turn prevent me from helping out around the house. Also, she has been nit picking over every one of my character flaws over the years and my ADHD symptoms. This did cause built up resentment towered her and did cause me to become depressed. Just recently she keeps on bringing up that I'm not like other husbands who work hard and also are handy and take pride in their home. So, due to all this criticism towered me over the years, I would fight back. This turned into explosive arguments to where I would have emotional melt downs and I would hit myself and I have gotten physical with her. I'm very ashamed of this happening and I feel huge guilt towered doing this to her. She did over time take this as emotional abuse and it took her to a breaking point.

So, she started to get close with a co-worker. She is a third shift nurse at a nursing home. She got close to this 50 year old aid. During all of this and her being fed up with me, she kissed this guy at work and also started to send dirty snaps back and forth to this guy. She then felt awful for this and fessed up to me. Things were great for a week, and then the guy who she was having an affair with broke off contact and she went into a mode to where it seemed she was losing a boyfriend. This made me jelous and sad. She then texted her friend as she was thinking of cheating again, but then she just said she was just confused. Her friend was actually deterring her against it. So, over the summmer, she started to lose weight and then started to break away from marriage mode and went into self absorbed mode. She would take these sexy selfies and post them all over instagram. She even got to the point where she took NSFW pictures. She sent me some, but I was uneasy as I had a hunch they were going to this co-worker as well. We started to get distant again and we had more explosive arguments over this. One of the arguments I got physical again because she was gaslighting and being very vindictive. I was litterally at the breaking point at that moment that I lose control of my emotions. So this kind of put the nail in the coffin. She then was noticed by a former aid co-worker of hers and he started to hit on her over fb and snapchat. I got suspicious as you saw in my original post. She then kept denying it and and as you saw she was "gaslighting" me. This cheating stopped in the fall and she stopped with the selfies because I think she felt awful.

I still, on the other hand, got to my heaviest weight ever in my life. I was lazy to the extreme and I was racking up credit card charged for fast food. So, she was still not taking this very well and then one night messaged the 2nd guy again talking about their encounter in his car when he visited old co-workers where she worked. Well, at the time, I recently got her a new macbook and she still had facebook logged in. I then saw these messages and then she fessed up to everything and was very sad about it. She told me the reason for everything is because of the "emotional" abuse from me and also the violence from when I had the argument meltdowns. She has major body image issues and she felt unwanted by me. She also started her bulimic behavior that she did before she met me. She also was just fed up with my lazy attitude and that I let myself go.

She was at a low point So, right now, she is with me, but it's hanging by a thread. I'm starting to get back into shape and also building up my self worth again. She assured me that she has not intention that she will cheat. The only problem right now is that she doesn't want me to have her phone PIN by is willing to let me look at her phone at any time. Yes I'm fearful she will cheat and start flirting with guys, even though I'm trying my hardest to be better. She assured me it won't happen and that she now hates that 2nd guy and that the 1st guy doesn't even work with her anymore. It's hanging by a thread as I said though because I keep on bringing up what happened and have developed great anxiety over everything. So this is the whole story and hopefully this puts things into perspective.

At least he doesn't sugarcoat how terrible he is.

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

This thread makes me feel like a relatively well adjusted human and I appreciate that.

Dial-a-Dog
May 22, 2001
So he was simultaneously racking up charges on their credit cards that she had to work extra hours to pay off and "got her" a new MacBook? Hmm

JimsonTheBetrayer
Oct 13, 2010

Game's over, and fuck you Jimson. It's not my fault that you guys couldn't get your shit together by deadline. No one gets access to docs because I don't fucking care anymore, I hope you all enjoyed ruining my game, and there won't be another.
My wife had a Sailor Moon ring. That she picked out. The whole ring thing is goofy get something meaningful. The end.

Dial-a-Dog
May 22, 2001
"honey I know I'm fat as hell and just spent $100 at Arby's this week, but look I got you a $2000 computer"

Personal Lucubrant
Oct 18, 2016

Just thinking about what to do with all the money I don't have.

military cervix posted:

There was a post a few pages back, but there's an update that takes this thing in a whole other direction:

My wife[33 F] was cheating on me [32 M] and got mad at me while cheating for being jealous.

"I do suffer from ADHD or even mild autism as I've noticed recently over the years. I have issues with mental exhaustion drain because of it. This would in turn prevent me from helping out around the house."

I always wonder when I read statements like this if they're full of crap or if he has actually been diagnosed. It seems like an easy excuse for lovely people to just say "eh, I'm mildly autistic" and just continue to be a piece of poo poo. What does he even mean by "mental exhaustion drain"? Like normal people don't get mentally exhausted from dealing with life in general? Throwing autism around like that can be an excuse for drat near anything. Didn't do the dishes? "Sorry, I'm too mentally exhausted because of my mild autism and ADHD. I can't do the dishes right now, I need to focus on my video games."

I don't know, maybe he actually has been diagnosed and has a genuine problem, but it honestly sounds like a cop out. Both of these people just kind of sound incompatible and like they don't really want to be with each other.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Uh, is everyone missing this part?

quote:

This turned into explosive arguments to where I would have emotional melt downs and I would hit myself and I have gotten physical with her.

He's an abusive fucko, good on his wife for finding comfort with someone else, she should leave him.

military cervix
Dec 24, 2006

Hey guys

WampaLord posted:

Uh, is everyone missing this part?

He's an abusive fucko, good on his wife for finding comfort with someone else, she should leave him.

This is the important part. I don't know much about this sort of stuff, but hitting yourself as well seems really weird. I'm guessing he really has autism.

flick my Mr. Bean
Nov 18, 2014

Hitting yourself sounds like a bizarre way to manipulate the other person.

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed
This is one of the very rare situations where I can't really blame her for being desperate enough to turn to someone else for affection. That guy is a fat, lazy, abusive piece of poo poo--by his own admittance!!

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

ArbitraryC posted:

For reference, this is (probably) the pendant in question.

I could see her not being stoked to wear a giant screw around her neck all the time.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
He says he's gotten physical with her and this is "emotional manipulation"?

He's abusive as gently caress and it's a good example of why sometimes the party at fault isn't the one you initially suspect. Wifebeating, thieving piece of poo poo.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Dienes posted:

For reference, this is (probably) the pendant in question.

I could see her not being stoked to wear a giant screw around her neck all the time.

tbh that's about a hundred times more tasteful than I was expecting

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

tbh that's about a hundred times more tasteful than I was expecting

Same, I can't even pick out what is supposed to be Final Fantasy about it.

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

WampaLord posted:

Same, I can't even pick out what is supposed to be Final Fantasy about it.

A character wears that in 13

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

also it's huge and sharp