Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Rinkles posted:

I think it's kinda cool, but the naval stuff feels pretty shallow in Odyssey (I haven't played an AC game with ships before).

Bit odd how it's become a staple feature in a franchise about stabbing dudes.

The naval stuff in Black Flag was fantastic, so they know how to do it right. Odyssey was a way toned down version of that, and as a side game. Having played Black Flag, where naval stuff was the main focus, I trust them to making a Vikings game for sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

As long as they keep up having a choosable lady protagonist I'll keep being interested. I hope they learned from the fiasco that the Odyssey dlc was and won't repeat that mistake.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
loving
DO MESOAMERICA YOU FUCKERS

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Calaveron posted:

loving

Some day I will be a macuahuitl wielding mayan zealot hunting down conquistadors in the jungles.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Calaveron posted:

loving
There will be an Assassins Creed for every possible geographic area and time period if you wait long enough.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

Casimir Radon posted:

There will be an Assassins Creed for every possible geographic area and time period if you wait long enough.

Assassin's Creed Antarctica

A sea of regular penguins with one in white hooded robes casually making his way through the crowd

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Argh I've just played the bit in 3 where Connor and Haytham meet for the first time and the cutscene is even written as if Haytham is the protagonist of the story and Connor a sidekick.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you
Totally up for Vikings as a focus. Presuming it's credible, I wonder if they were inspired in part by The Saxon Tales/The Last Kingdom, in which an Anglo child is raised by Danes and becomes torn between both cultures.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Dapper_Swindler posted:

yeah. it sucks because the concept of conner isn't a bad one, they problem is instead of coming of as naive and passionate, he just comes off as mentally delayed.

It was even worse the first time around: After being Ezio for the last three games you were the suave, slick talking playboy and a loving invocation of terror who was built like a tank and armed to kill a loving army. Your name was the curse of death among your enemies and even the mightiest rulers of the era mobilized their entire armies to slow you down long enough to hide and escape, because your were the wrath of loving god ripping everything they had built apart and they knew that they will die, it is now only a matter of time. Showing up to give some lip to Ezio was an easy way to find out how many times you can be stabbed before you lose consciousness. Even if you bring the entire loving army with you should you be insane enough to lead it personally. It was implied that Ezio hosed and stabbed around enough in Renaissance Italy to probably cause a genetic shift similar to what Genghis Khan did in real life. The game gave a real implication that your character was the most loving dangerous thing walking on face of the Earth and even his enemies knew that fact very well.

And then we go to AC3, and get the tutorial segment with the cool colonial James Bond who could have easily carried the torch. But no, we finally end up as Connor, who once went to interrogate a meathead of a marshal and managed to get captured by a guy who probably could not even spell his own name. And right afterwards was actually put to gallows, and the enemies didn't give enough poo poo to actually even hide from you, they just usually smack talked you while their goons gave you a beating. They were even present at the same political events with you, but you really could not do jack poo poo because that would have been rude or something. Also, being incompetent and stoic really did not do any favors in the player experience part.

Der Kyhe fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Apr 5, 2019

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Ugh can we please leave the West for one loving game

exquisite tea posted:

Another thing that Ubisoft said about AC prior to Odyssey's announcement was "why limit ourselves to just one epoch of history when we could continue telling stories within that world" so who's to say the next game will even be limited to only one era or one character of the entire Viking Age.

This sounds suspiciously like "assassins creed as a service"

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

Odyssey reminded me a lot of Skyrim (mostly the entertaining jank) so a Viking Assassin's Creed seems really pointless when I can just play Skyrim

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

Mameluke posted:

Wait for Ghosts of Tsushima.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Shoulda said! "The Western imagination" which totes includes samurai and mummies

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Mameluke posted:

This sounds suspiciously like "assassins creed as a service"

Oh they're definitely using 'lost tales of greece' to test to see whether people keep playing the game if they drip feed content like that or whether they finish it and move on.

Illiterate Clitoris
Oct 24, 2011

Give me Lagertha or give me death

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Whorelord posted:

Odyssey reminded me a lot of Skyrim (mostly the entertaining jank) so a Viking Assassin's Creed seems really pointless when I can just play Skyrim

Well, Viking AC has a chance at being an actually good game.
Wouldn't you rather play a good game?

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Der Kyhe posted:

It was even worse the first time around: After being Ezio for the last three games you were the suave, slick talking playboy and a loving invocation of terror who was built like a tank and armed to kill a loving army. Your name was the curse of death among your enemies and even the mightiest rulers of the era mobilized their entire armies to slow you down long enough to hide and escape, because your were the wrath of loving god ripping everything they had built apart and they knew that they will die, it is now only a matter of time. Showing up to give some lip to Ezio was an easy way to find out how many times you can be stabbed before you lose consciousness. Even if you bring the entire loving army with you should you be insane enough to lead it personally. It was implied that Ezio hosed and stabbed around enough in Renaissance Italy to probably cause a genetic shift similar to what Genghis Khan did in real life. The game gave a real implication that your character was the most loving dangerous thing walking on face of the Earth and even his enemies knew that fact very well.

And then we go to AC3, and get the tutorial segment with the cool colonial James Bond who could have easily carried the torch. But no, we finally end up as Connor, who once went to interrogate a meathead of a marshal and managed to get captured by a guy who probably could not even spell his own name. And right afterwards was actually put to gallows, and the enemies didn't give enough poo poo to actually even hide from you, they just usually smack talked you while their goons gave you a beating. They were even present at the same political events with you, but you really could not do jack poo poo because that would have been rude or something. Also, being incompetent and stoic really did not do any favors in the player experience part.

this, its heavily implied in brotherhood that Rodrigo got the loving message and decided to stay out of ezio's cone of death and not gently caress with him until his gently caress up son decided to kick that hornets next while dressed a final fantasy character meets the lannisters.

what sucks about conner is i feel like he could have been a interesting character because the core of his character is good. the problem is his writing and that his dad is much cooler. the other problem is the american revolution is so loving disected by historians that all the spins that Ubisoft try came off as dumb, especially the early parts with conner before the war starts. like the whole boston massacre and the boston tea party were just weird.

I personally think unity is the worst game in the series even since it has all of threes problems but even more so. arno is just downgrade ezio with none of the charisma. the whole plot is overly confusing and that isnt helped by taking place during one of the most complicated events of our time.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Deakul posted:

Well, Viking AC has a chance at being an actually good game.
Wouldn't you rather play a good game?

i don't hate skyrim but i agree. i can see them making a good origins/odessy type game in viking times. i am kinda curious where it will take place though. England during the danish invasions? vikings against Charlemagne?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
not really enjoying my time focusing on the hunter tree. i'm bad at headshots in general but shields are my bane. i have that skill that pierces shields but it's a bit underpowered. predator shot is powerful but awkard to aim in close quarters. in harder crowded fights i do a lot of poorly aimed plinking to build adrenaline in between near constant rolling. think it comes down me being a poor shot. i also don't make great use of the dodge slo mo.

e: this game is such a time sponge. spent six+ hours playing today but i don't feel like i did all that much.

Rinkles fucked around with this message at 12:26 on Apr 6, 2019

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Loadouts are so nice. My warrior load out for bosses amuses me. Took down the minotaur with greek heroes + dagger of kronos and a dagger in off slot as well. Meanwhile my assassin set up uses a heavy blunt weapon and a big ol' staff. Feels like I got my equipment mixed up.

Edit: also. What's wrong with the dlc for odyssey? Havent bought or played any yet, but was planning to do so eventually, since I was having fun.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

KittyEmpress posted:

Edit: also. What's wrong with the dlc for odyssey? Havent bought or played any yet, but was planning to do so eventually, since I was having fun.

It invalidates gay folks by forcing the player character to father/bear a child. Additionally, the writing is "okay" and the mission structure is more of the same. Since there's already so much content in Odyssey, I don't recommend it.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

The gear loadouts are nice but they cost 5,000 drachmae to unlock for some reason. Dunno why they can't just be free. You'd think the developers would want me to try out lots of different weapons and armours that they created. It's already hard enough keeping everything for one loadout upgraded to my current level so realistically until I'm at or near the level cap how many other useful loadouts could I actually have?

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!
I like the idea of vikings. It really gives them a lot of opportunities for varied environments. You can have wildrness up in Scandinavia, medival european cities in France and England and a major metropolis if they want to go east, to Constantinople. Constantinople seems like a fairly natural route, if they want to tie it all into the rest of the AC mythology.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Since the series is ostensibly about bloodlines (or was?) I'd like them to pick a place that has changed over time but still remained recognizable and have a game where you play as different members of the bloodline in different eras. The series already has all the required sci-fi fuckery to explain how similar skills could translate across different characters so the player doesn't start from scratch or a predetermined template.

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005

Lobok posted:

Since the series is ostensibly about bloodlines (or was?) I'd like them to pick a place that has changed over time but still remained recognizable and have a game where you play as different members of the bloodline in different eras. The series already has all the required sci-fi fuckery to explain how similar skills could translate across different characters so the player doesn't start from scratch or a predetermined template.

Dear god think how many more Ubisoft satellite offices we'd need. That said it'd be cool to see them reign in the strictly geographically broad focus they've been chasing. Odyssey feels like they took that to an extreme and I'm not sure it was entirely the right move.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

J33uk posted:

Dear god think how many more Ubisoft satellite offices we'd need. That said it'd be cool to see them reign in the strictly geographically broad focus they've been chasing. Odyssey feels like they took that to an extreme and I'm not sure it was entirely the right move.

I'm only partway through the game at level 22 but the game world wouldn't seem so big if it wasn't for all the open water. I wish there was some of metric in videogames to compare content per virtual square kilometre among different games. I work in retail so the idea of $/sq.ft crosses my mind a lot when looking at these giant game worlds. You do need open space to sell certain aesthetics and aspects of gameplay of course but a huge game world isn't a selling point to me because it just sounds like a lot of travel time. It'd be cool if Ikaros could do more than just basic scouting and tagging while you're on horseback going somewhere.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Blonde/[whatever color of hair is fit for Scandinavians] daughter of Kassandra destroying fools from Northumbria to the Baltic Coast?

The relevant question is, why the gently caress not?

isk
Oct 3, 2007

Lobok posted:

I'm only partway through the game at level 22 but the game world wouldn't seem so big if it wasn't for all the open water. I wish there was some of metric in videogames to compare content per virtual square kilometre among different games. I work in retail so the idea of $/sq.ft crosses my mind a lot when looking at these giant game worlds. You do need open space to sell certain aesthetics and aspects of gameplay of course but a huge game world isn't a selling point to me because it just sounds like a lot of travel time. It'd be cool if Ikaros could do more than just basic scouting and tagging while you're on horseback going somewhere.

The real estate works in my experience. Once fast travel points are unlocked, they're reasonably close to most destinations. Phobos helps a lot, as do the points they've added post-launch. Plus the run itself adds value on top of visuals and pacing. Resources are worth picking up due to all the gear level and ship upgrades. Having a 1+ wanted level at all times helps lure in mercenaries for fun and loot, and the kills/recruitments help the player rise thru the Merc tiers for more benefits.

The only time I feel not great about the travel is swimming distances longer than like 50m, but that doesn't happen often.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

A game featuring Vikings without a Viking main character may well parallel the story of Ahmad ibn Fadlan.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.
The one thing I still can't believe they haven't 'fixed' is with the boat. Why does the boat always stop when I use Ikaros.

This was never a good decision. I hate having to pick back up every time I want to use him.

Lunethex fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Apr 6, 2019

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
E: fixed it.

Holy poo poo the cost to unlock the 3rd to 5th lodaouts :eyepop:

orcane fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Apr 6, 2019

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Lunethex posted:

The one thing I still can't believe they haven't 'fixed' is with the boat. Why does the boat always stop when I use Ikaros.

This was never a good decision. I hate having to pick back up every time I want to use him.
Yeah I enjoy setting Phobos on a path then following with Ikaros. It's sad this doesn't work with the ship. Ah grr, quote is not edit.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Are the menu load times better on PC than PS4? Please make simpler menus if making them fancy results in having to wait for them.

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

Menu..............load times?
:goofy:

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

poisonpill posted:

Menu..............load times?
:goofy:

that's the appropriate reaction. the mercenary screen is the worst culprit.

jbusbysack
Sep 6, 2002
i heart syd
My hephaisto's workshop seems to have disappeared from the map on xb1. Anyone else have this issue?

Edit: nm i apparently didnt zoom in enough

jbusbysack fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Apr 6, 2019

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Rinkles posted:

that's the appropriate reaction. the mercenary screen is the worst culprit.

Yeah when I feel like strategizing on the menu screen to avoid delays that means the menus are too slow. Same in Witcher 3.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

homullus posted:

A game featuring Vikings without a Viking main character may well parallel the story of Ahmad ibn Fadlan.

Thirteenth Warrior starring Kassandra/Alexios is what I didn't know I needed in my life. Leaning more on the supernatural could be cool if it's very much in the mythos rather than straight fantasy context it was in Odyssey.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Lobok posted:

Yeah when I feel like strategizing on the menu screen to avoid delays that means the menus are too slow. Same in Witcher 3.

Lol I noticed I was subconsciously doing this too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Rinkles posted:

Are the menu load times better on PC than PS4? Please make simpler menus if making them fancy results in having to wait for them.

It's an instant load on PC, maybe takes half a second for icons to stream in if you zoom all the way across the megamap.