Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Too bad, Angelina as bride of Frankenstein couldve been real cool

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Iron Crowned posted:

I remember liking it when I saw it in theaters, but I was also drunk

That movie is nobody's bitch.

feedmyleg posted:

That's probably due to Universal wanting to make action movies based off of horror concepts. The fact that they're wanting to bring in Blum (like they'll get him :lol:) tells me that they've shifted from the one trend they're trying to chase (superhero movies) toward a new trend they're trying to chase (smart budget horror). It's still them running around with no idea what they're doing, but at least they're following the proper trend now.

Some exec was like "waitaminnit waitaminnit... "Mummy: Impossible!" and dollar signs started pouring out of his eyes.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Every time I see the group shot of the Dark Universe cast, I just laugh and laugh at Crowe and his photoshopped-out cane.

:allears:

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

got any sevens posted:

Too bad, Angelina as bride of Frankenstein couldve been real cool

Definitely. I miss her actually being in poo poo.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Sirotan posted:

Every time I see the group shot of the Dark Universe cast, I just laugh and laugh at Crowe and his photoshopped-out cane.

Does he use a cane?

The real kicker is obscuring Tom Cruise's feet to hide how tiny he is.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Detective No. 27 posted:

Does he use a cane?

I'm almost certain that's why Depp and Bardem are seated and Crowe appears to be an obvious photoshop paste from a separate photoshoot (especially considering he's half a foot taller than Cruise).

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Detective No. 27 posted:

Does he use a cane?

I was about to say yes his character did, but I just watched a couple quick featurettes and don't see him walking with one, so I must be misremembering. Maybe he's got his hand on the back of a chair or something from the original photo shoot?

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I'm almost certain that's why Depp and Bardem are seated and Crowe appears to be an obvious photoshop paste from a separate photoshoot (especially considering he's half a foot taller than Cruise).

I'm thinking it was the same photo shoot, but that he was simply moved up in the composition without resizing him.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
Who were Depp and Bardem going to play (it's cancelled, right?) ?

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

Firstborn posted:

Who were Depp and Bardem going to play (it's cancelled, right?) ?

Bardem was Frankenstein's monster and Depp was The Invisible Man

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Just reboot Frankenhooker

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

esperterra posted:

Definitely. I miss her actually being in poo poo.
I don't. She should stay back in the 2000s with 9/11, and nuMetal.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

Iron Crowned posted:

Just reboot Frankenhooker

This, but replace Frankenhooker with Chopping Mall.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Gonz posted:

This, but replace Frankenhooker with Chopping Mall.

They can be part of the same Extended Universe :science:

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Sirotan posted:

Also hilarious because Sofia Boutella is 5'4" and how much reality-defying perspective they're playing with to make us not notice that she has an inch on Tom Cruise along with everyone else being way taller than him.

Also like, THE DARK UNIVERSE of this grey room.

God :laffo: just looking and thinking about this picture is making me remember with confusion how insanely bad the 2017 Mummy was on every single possible level. I was going to say making be angry but it's not anger, it's just like a full stop that movie broke my brain level of why is anything in this film being executed in this way at any given second.

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

The "Dark Universe" movies were all poo poo so I'm happy the project's dead. Hopefully this means we'll get an actually good monster flick or two further down the line. Shared universes suck.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

They should be shared but in fun ways. Monsters racing with custom cars. Monsters battling to see who can kill the most people. Monsters teaming up with monster hunters to fight other monsters. Monster wrestlers vs. alien wrestlers. Monsters driving monster trucks. Monsters trapped on an island and must fight each other so only one can escape. Monsters in a battle of the bands. Monsters vs. ninjas.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Who was Bardem supposed to play? I already forget.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Who was Bardem supposed to play? I already forget.

Frankenstein, I believe. Which is actually solid casting.

He'd make a good Wolfman too.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Why don't they invent a new monster?

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

Iron Crowned posted:

Why don't they invent a new monster?

Weinstein biopic incoming....

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

feedmyleg posted:

The fact that they're wanting to bring in Blum (like they'll get him :lol:)

I mean... Blumhouse does like a hundred loving movies a year and already has a first-look deal with Universal (iirc). Bringing in Jason Blum to work on the Dark Universe seems not only realistic, but an absolute no-brainer that they really should have done from the jump.

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

Tars Tarkas posted:

Producers have abandoned the Dark Universe to its fate, shambling on lifeless with no brain until Universal does another half-hearted entry a few years down the line that they can later deny is part of the Dark Universe.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/alex-kurtzman-chris-morgan-exit-universal-monsterverse-1055854

Cowards

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
Only one man is Frankenstein in my heart.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

The video game based on the Mummy was pretty good.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
The problem is that they started thinking about the idea of the Dark Universe before even making a decent movie to build off of it. Make a cool movie that makes me wonder or even care about other things happening outside of the frame and maybe I'd give a poo poo.

Depp as the Invisible Man sounds hilariously bad. My brain is rejecting the idea of somebody who tries so hard to tickle his own rear end with a feather in every movie playing someone invisible.

If I were to construct a cinematic universe for Universal monsters, I'd probably have Van Helsing at the center curating each monster like... I don't even know - the couple in The Conjuring movies? I'd also opt for more broad strokes, as whatever Cruise is supposed to be when The Mummy is over is confusing. Van Helsing needs to be Nick Fury almost. I also read the sentiment of Universal monsters not being able to be taken seriously/scary anymore, and I think you could legit do a scary vampire or werewolf movie and not make them action schlock. Also, I'd make it so that there wasn't necessarily an inevitable Civil War or Thanos moment or whatever. Just the comfort that all of this takes place in the same universe with roughly the same ruleset is enough to make a "cinematic universe" without being a commercial for the next movie.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

I mean... Blumhouse does like a hundred loving movies a year and already has a first-look deal with Universal (iirc). Bringing in Jason Blum to work on the Dark Universe seems not only realistic, but an absolute no-brainer that they really should have done from the jump.

Looking at their Wikipedia page they make movies super cheap usually under 10 million and the majority of them make over 60-100 million and generally they're pretty solid to great like Whiplash. They know what they're doing.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

porfiria posted:

what are those blades?

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

porfiria posted:

Aaron Eckhart is so loving good, but is in such terrible movies. It makes me sad tbh

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

MacheteZombie posted:

what are those blades?

Franken-cutters. They're like Ba'leths but more to do with the sin of becoming a demiurge.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest

MacheteZombie posted:

what are those blades?

How else would sexy Frank kill gargoyles??

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

porfiria posted:

The only good thing that came out of that is the Spanish version of the poster, which still makes me laugh:

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

ART

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
Probably the best movie where Frankenstein does escrima stick fighting (cit. needed)

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

How on Earth would it be a positive move for Blum, though? He's Hollywood's golden boy right now, there's no way he'd slum it trying to reboot Universal's poisonous reboot.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Sirotan posted:

The only good thing that came out of that is the Spanish version of the poster, which still makes me laugh:

loving hell lmao

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
It's hilarious to me that they did Dracula, Untold - which sucked. Then they were like, "gently caress that one doesn't count"
Then do The Mummy - which sucked. "gently caress it"

By the way, their next movie was slated like Feb 2019 with Bride of Frankenstein.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
The biggest issue with these Cinematic Universes are that they really, really want to be the Marvel Cinematic Universe, without realizing that the MCU was really formed nearly organically. The bigger problem with the other attempts is that you can't just drop in and out like you can with the MCU, each one of them that I've is mostly self-contained with an overlap of characters and some hook to draw you to the next one. I'm really not sure that it can truly be replicated at this point.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Firstborn posted:

It's hilarious to me that they did Dracula, Untold - which sucked. Then they were like, "gently caress that one doesn't count"
Then do The Mummy - which sucked. "gently caress it"

Also how any person from a future generation who decides for whatever bizarre reason to watch The Mummy will have a moment of "what the hell is this?" when all the context is lost around the Dark Universe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electromax
May 6, 2007
At least out of all of that we got that trailer that was accidentally missing everything except Tom Cruise's grunts and yells.

• Locked thread