Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

I assume this was a player doing a challenge but do high-level mujina popping out of the chest just instakill you if your stats are low enough? lol

Mujina will attack you if you do the wrong emote at them, and you can also attack them yourself. They probably started poo poo and got murdered by it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

^ My assumption was that someone good enough to reach NG+ at level 1 would not mess up the mujina gesture but I guess you do only get their lore by killing them

https://i.imgur.com/u2iOrjY.mp4

begone

Owl Inspector fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Apr 30, 2021

Yarrington
Jun 13, 2002

While I will admit to a certain cynicism, I am a nay-sayer and hatchet man in the fight against violence. I pride myself in taking a punch and I'll gladly take another.
way of the demon does not mess around. On way of the strong I occasionally got overwhelmed by normal enemies but dumpstered bosses and that is uh, not the case here. Ones I know pretty well are still taking a couple tries usually because its either such a long fight I run out of healing or get greedy and two shot at the very end. Hoping that once I get versatility (one piece away) that will help.

It also feels like despite having way more tools to apply elemental statuses, they go away so quickly that I can't get confusion going very often. Is that something you can/should be building for?

Captainicus
Feb 22, 2013

I think as far as confusion goes you can get some confusion duration up but it still gets worse with each application so the second and third are very short - I think to get the most value from it you should carefully time it so you can hit it when the enemy is out of ki or your yokai shift is ready or something like that. It might be better to specialize in one element and maintain it so the duration never runs out that go for a quick confusion application you can't follow up on.

The damage bonus for versatility is pretty hefty if you can get it up, my brief test on a ninja in the training area had my damage on a normal midstance hammer donk go from 415 damage to 664 damage (from zero versatility to max 9 stacks).

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Whats the cure to the puking/sickness debuff in the defiled castle level nioh 1?

Navaash
Aug 15, 2001

FEED ME

Ulio posted:

Whats the cure to the puking/sickness debuff in the defiled castle level nioh 1?

To get rid of it right away, roll into a water barrel or use Fragrant Wood. Otherwise get out of the poo poo (that's actually what it is, you're trapising in the castle's sewer because you can't assault it from the front) and wait.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Navaash posted:

To get rid of it right away, roll into a water barrel or use Fragrant Wood. Otherwise get out of the poo poo (that's actually what it is, you're trapising in the castle's sewer because you can't assault it from the front) and wait.

Thanks, managed to get through without figuring that out. 2 bosses in 1 level was a pleasant surprise.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I have two glaive counter moves. One of them works on the yokai enemies in the dojo, the other one only works on the human enemies and just gets ignored by the yokai so I lose half my health if I try it.

are you actually just supposed to trial and error these things and eat poo poo until you learn when they will or won't work? I see no indication of what these things will apply to.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

I have two glaive counter moves. One of them works on the yokai enemies in the dojo, the other one only works on the human enemies and just gets ignored by the yokai so I lose half my health if I try it.

are you actually just supposed to trial and error these things and eat poo poo until you learn when they will or won't work? I see no indication of what these things will apply to.

Yes. :negative:

Just Reprisal(SG), Bolting Boar(Odachi) and Opportunist(claws) are the only parries that work on yokai. On some yokai attacks.

All parries work on humans.

For the switchglaive, just slot in a different ability. Just Reprisal is pretty bad. At least Bolting Boar doesn't take up a keybind you would normally use for something good.

e: :siren: Also something that is never mentioned: parries only work if you are standing still. You can't be moving and expect it to work :siren:

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK fucked around with this message at 03:48 on May 2, 2021

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Is there a way to load a beaten level and teleport to a bonfire that is further out in a level?

Navaash
Aug 15, 2001

FEED ME

GodDAMN Way of the Wise is not loving around. I didn't feel like it was this rough in the first game.

Then again I spent 3 hours on Shibata Katsuie on WotD just for samurai hair.

Ulio posted:

Is there a way to load a beaten level and teleport to a bonfire that is further out in a level?

Use Sneak Thief scrolls :v:

edit: on further consideration you're probably playing William, who does not have Sneak Thief. He can have Suppa scrolls, though. That + Tiger-running + Catwalking should get you to where you want to be quickly, provided you don't get too close to a mob or run under a mob on the ceiling (they will still ambush) or similar linedef trigger that will force aggro. If you mean a full-on Souls-style teleport, though, no.

There are times when this isn't effective, though, such as when you have an NPC with you (mobs will still see them), in which case just run like a madman, or particular points in the game where you can't progress without clearing gauntlets or mid-bosses.

Navaash fucked around with this message at 17:09 on May 2, 2021

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Navaash posted:

edit: on further consideration you're probably playing William, who does not have Sneak Thief. He can have Suppa scrolls, though. That + Tiger-running + Catwalking should get you to where you want to be quickly, provided you don't get too close to a mob or run under a mob on the ceiling (they will still ambush) or similar linedef trigger that will force aggro. If you mean a full-on Souls-style teleport, though, no.

There are times when this isn't effective, though, such as when you have an NPC with you (mobs will still see them), in which case just run like a madman, or particular points in the game where you can't progress without clearing gauntlets or mid-bosses.

Ok thanks.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
I've had pretty good success just sprinting through the level to the shrine I want to hit. Most enemies will leash fairly quickly once you get some distance.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Yes. :negative:

Just Reprisal(SG), Bolting Boar(Odachi) and Opportunist(claws) are the only parries that work on yokai. On some yokai attacks.

All parries work on humans.

For the switchglaive, just slot in a different ability. Just Reprisal is pretty bad. At least Bolting Boar doesn't take up a keybind you would normally use for something good.

I don't see another move that goes on the same input for switchglaive to replace it with.

quote:

e: :siren: Also something that is never mentioned: parries only work if you are standing still. You can't be moving and expect it to work :siren:

Does this mean the parry animation will play but simply not do anything if you're moving when you activate it? my takeaway is increasingly that I should forget parries exist.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

I don't see another move that goes on the same input for switchglaive to replace it with.

Oh my bad. I assumed that Just Reprisal was the same input as regular moves.

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

Does this mean the parry animation will play but simply not do anything if you're moving when you activate it? my takeaway is increasingly that I should forget parries exist.

Correct. In missions / the dojo, I can pull off parries quite reliably when standing still. But as soon as I touch the left analog stick and start moving, I eat poo poo every single time.

Parries are neat but they are just too limited(basically against humans only) and the risk reward isn't really there on the higher difficulties where a single enemy combo or hit can send you back to the nearest shrine.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Tarezax posted:

I've had pretty good success just sprinting through the level to the shrine I want to hit. Most enemies will leash fairly quickly once you get some distance.

Yes I guess that works too lol except when loving fire wheels are chasing you.

Also I don't get how some people finished the game so quickly, just thinking of some of the levels where I had to farm a bit to level up.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I finally understood why mortal soul cores are sought after when I accidentally found you can use them to change the color of a soul core. what are the benefits to doing this besides the shiftling skill to make them 10% cheaper to cast if they match your guardian spirit's color?

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

I finally understood why mortal soul cores are sought after when I accidentally found you can use them to change the color of a soul core. what are the benefits to doing this besides the shiftling skill to make them 10% cheaper to cast if they match your guardian spirit's color?

Some guardian spirits have specific skills that increase the damage of soul cores of a specific type. Mortal soul cores can also be used to power up any soul core through fusion so that can be useful for powering up boss cores that you don't want to grind or passing on inheritable skills.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Is it worth offering items for amrita and does the kodama bonus apply to offerings or only amrita earned from kills?

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Ulio posted:

Is it worth offering items for amrita and does the kodama bonus apply to offerings or only amrita earned from kills?

I never really bothered unless my inventory was super full and only amrita earned from kills

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
Very very early in the game, offering items for amrita can get you some much needed levels. Like, on the couple regions of the first playthrough, offering up items can get you some useful divine rice, elixirs, and amrita to get to another level when you don't have a massive stockpile of amrita candy to snort just because you want to get your amrita gauge back up. The problem really is that eventually you get to post scarcity for divine rice and elixirs, and the amrita you get isn't even worth the time it takes to offer it.

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012
In both games, I usually just use donations to the shrine to clear out my inventory since selling them at the shop doesn't pay me as much as I'd like.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY
I had no use for white and yellow (or whichever the next rarity is) loot in short order, but I was dependent on the divine rice to keep my ochoko cup supply up because I sure as hell wasn't picking fights with revenants until I was comfortable..

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

I never really bothered unless my inventory was super full and only amrita earned from kills

Ok ya the amrita seems pitiful, but seems like a good way to clear out your inventory.

I feel like I gotten into a good groove, some areas I felt like I was underleveled or got stuck on but I have managed to run through all the bosses on very little tries and some of them in first try especially since Yuki Onna bosses been easier or I got better.

E:Otani seemed threatening but I got him on the first try, Shima Sakon was a good challenge though that lightning phase that gives him armor + the sweeping poo poo he does that one shots u is quite fun.

Ulio fucked around with this message at 02:17 on May 7, 2021

Yarrington
Jun 13, 2002

While I will admit to a certain cynicism, I am a nay-sayer and hatchet man in the fight against violence. I pride myself in taking a punch and I'll gladly take another.
On dream of the wise I’ve been taking it slow and clearing out the first couple areas. Terrible luck with drops so I’m still running my DotD versatility build until I can piece together Susano. Just unlocked the final area and it took a couple tries to take down William who’s usually a total chump so I’m a little concerned about Otakemaru. Is it worth waiting around for a summon to blitz to the final difficulty or just keep working through Wise?

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Holy gently caress on level 111 that first revenant type enemy is completely broken, you just can't cancel any of his attacks. I hate it when the game throws enemies that have so much invincible frames in all their attacks.

E: Oh wait the boss is in the middle of the open field and he can attack you from miles away. This level will be fun.

Ulio fucked around with this message at 13:14 on May 8, 2021

Navaash
Aug 15, 2001

FEED ME

Ulio posted:

level 111

I had to go back and check which mission you were refering to. Yeah, that one's amusing.

With clever movement you can pop the corrupted crystals without triggering a single revenant.

If you need boss help:

Smack a foot first then run up to the head and use your most spammy ability or LW since you can't exhaust your ki in the pure pools. Once he gets up, repeat. If your gear is good enough, he'll die the second time (maybe even first). If not, you'll have to ki break a hand which is easier said than done since any block will ki break you and any missed dodge will likely kill you.

Yarrington
Jun 13, 2002

Ended up summoning to get through to way of the Nioh. Clowned on gozuki despite being comically under geared and leveled but hit a wall on the stupid light blasting Enki which made me realize I somehow skipped DLC3 entirely. A cursed, shadowed enemy at the end of a fairly long run on way of the Nioh was not the kindest way to learn his move set.

What a great game though, I normally never play NG+ modes and I’ve been really enjoying going through the game and seeing how it changes.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Navaash posted:

I had to go back and check which mission you were refering to. Yeah, that one's amusing.

With clever movement you can pop the corrupted crystals without triggering a single revenant.

If you need boss help:

Smack a foot first then run up to the head and use your most spammy ability or LW since you can't exhaust your ki in the pure pools. Once he gets up, repeat. If your gear is good enough, he'll die the second time (maybe even first). If not, you'll have to ki break a hand which is easier said than done since any block will ki break you and any missed dodge will likely kill you.

Ya the level was not that bad, it was definitely hard with super tough enemies and very few trash enemies. I think my gear was slightly underleveled I had to make him drop 3 times maybe or 4 not sure. I upgraded afterward the mission though. I read somewhere the level on the mission is what your gear level should be and not your character? Is that correct?

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

Ulio posted:

Ya the level was not that bad, it was definitely hard with super tough enemies and very few trash enemies. I think my gear was slightly underleveled I had to make him drop 3 times maybe or 4 not sure. I upgraded afterward the mission though. I read somewhere the level on the mission is what your gear level should be and not your character? Is that correct?

It doesn't really correspond well to either, and I would advise you instead to simply think of them as progression indicators relative to each other. They do a better job with the mission level curve in Nioh 2 than Nioh 1, but it was still way off for me.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

signalnoise posted:

It doesn't really correspond well to either, and I would advise you instead to simply think of them as progression indicators relative to each other. They do a better job with the mission level curve in Nioh 2 than Nioh 1, but it was still way off for me.

Ya cause I been like 5-10 level below on some of the levels but had not much difficulty so I was wondering what it means.

One thing that I heard lots of people complain about Nioh was how the game uses the level system instead of a consistent world. I actually like it a lot, because of this I have already replayed all the bosses multiple times since they are so fun. Just got done with Mitsunari that was super fun. The big giant skeleton boss is the only boss I didn't replay because you have to destroy the shards in the level to get rid of his aura thingy in the boss arena.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

We just took down the base game final boss in dream of the strong after doing all the story missions and the side missions with hair/smithing texts. absolutely steamrolled everything toward the end as we were rolling over some bosses in less than 30 seconds. quite the power fantasy. Splitstaff is rad. I expect things will get a lot more rude on dream of the demon, but we should be able to handle it. this game’s approach to NG+ is very refreshing with each cycle adding new totally un-advertised mechanics and itemization features.

Are you just supposed to smash every single divine drop with a + together to keep the gear you’re using as high as possible? it’s already getting pretty boring to combine to around +7 now, but I saw a stream on the last difficulty with +40 gear and not looking forward to that.

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

To save the world from the expanding Zone.
Dream of the Demon will drop much higher +value gear. Don't sweat trying to soul match low stuff to high as you're just wasting your money.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
Maximum equipment strength is level 200 and +120. You will almost definitely burnout before even getting halfway there, timewise.

Just go as far as you feel comfortable, you're not gonna miss out on anything by stopping "early" in the NG+ cycle.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Magic is 99 so I'm leveling courage for my second stat since it scales onmyo power. Tried the tonfa now that I have the courage for them and they are so rad, best grapple animation in the game. Wham-bam

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

In Nioh 1 after the battlefield of Sekigahara stage, the levels get quite a bit more elaborate. Really liking the longer levels because I felt alot of the earlier levels were just straight lines.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

The mystic art steam achievement completion stats provide a rough weapon popularity chart

1. Dual swords 18.8%
2. Sword 16.4%
3. Greatsword 15.7%
4. Switchglaive 15.4%
5. Fists 14.9%
6. Splitstaff 12.3%
7. Spear 10.0%
8. Axe 9.0%
9. Kusarigama 8.8%
10. Tonfa 8.8%
11. Hatchets 7.4%

(also, magic mystic art is 24.8% and ninja is 21.5%)

edit: Dual swords is probably artificially inflated because that one side quest randomly requires you to have its mystic art.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
Sword and Odachi are my favorites.

Dual swords were pretty popular in Nioh 1 because it had incredibly solid moveset.

Navaash
Aug 15, 2001

FEED ME

^^ I used the DS exclusively in Nioh because I loved myself some Water Sword. Mashing the button to keep it going was incredibly painful after a while though so I'm glad they changed it in 2 so you only have to hold down the button, though I only found that out since I needed to go back and skill it up for the quest, natch.

Though, I thought tonfa was cool enough to use as my main weapon going into 2. Speaking of which:

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

10. Tonfa 8.8%

Hell yes low completion crew :cool:

Though it is hilarious that the yokai grapple animation is identical to all the bladed weapons. So you're just poking them really hard with the long end of the sticks??

vv I'll be honest I never noticed the dagger because I've only been using the tonfa except when I was grinding dual swords, it's my headcanon ok

Navaash fucked around with this message at 08:09 on May 12, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
Isn't the grapple animation on yokai always stabbing them with your spirit stone dagger?

Only applies to Nioh 2 for obvious reasons