Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Catering $200
Writing $150
Producing $800
CG Death Scenes to avoid Spoilers $3,600
Acting $150
someone who is good at the economy please help me budget this. my show is dying

(could also leave the original Candles in there)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
Man, I've been watching clips of older episodes and forgot how good they were. The OG Mountain gets so mad during a joust he decapitates his horse, he fights with the Hound, Robert commands them to stop and The Hound immediately kneels even though his brother is on the brink of killing him

Also sorry to that goon, MGS4 is basically the Star Wars prequels of Metal Gear, yes (but it's still awesome)

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

^^^^mgs4 is good in it's own bonkers way that defies the series. I like it but cannot fault anyone for not and its 100% kojima off the lease. Death Stranging gonna be great one way or the other.

FogHelmut posted:

Catering $200
Writing $150
Producing $800
CG Death Scenes to avoid Spoilers $3,600
Acting $150
someone who is good at the economy please help me budget this. my show is dying breaking records

(could also leave the original Candles in there)

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
is death stranding even planned to be released? or is it just a never ending trailer?

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

death stranding is not a game, it's a piece of performance art consisting of a series of progressively more bizarre video game trailers

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

poverty goat posted:

death stranding is not a game, it's a piece of performance art consisting of a series of progressively more bizarre video game trailers

:hmmyes:

Damo
Nov 8, 2002

The second-generation Pontiac Sunbird, introduced by the automaker for the 1982 model year as the J2000, was built to be an inexpensive and fuel-efficient front-wheel-drive commuter car capable of seating five.

Offensive Clock

poverty goat posted:

basically one of the main reasons why i love kojima

mgsv was a disappointment other than the actual gameplay which was awesome, but man if it was not the most fun and hype filled lead up to a game release ever

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

mgsv was never finished

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Production caring so much about spoilers and Reddit solving their deep mysteries leading to them ruining their own shows is hilarious

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

i guess reddit really does ruin everything

Saint Drogo
Dec 26, 2011

ElGroucho posted:

Honestly, Team Cersei now

Everyone else is a complete idiot

So she merked a bunch of religious upperclass people, she sounds like a real friend of the proletariat to me, tbh
Dany gets to be a pop feminist icon, when it's Good Queen Cersei who loving obliterated the patriarchy with magic napalm. smh

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

poverty goat posted:

It's the new Duke Nukem Forever.

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

P-Mack posted:

It makes sense in that it avoids giving Storms End to an actual legitimate Baratheon who likely would have fought against her family in the rebellion, while still nominally respecting existing rules of succession. Also it's an official public act that demonstrates her authority as a queen to do queen things that the various lords present at Winterfell implicitly acknowledge. There are plenty of worse things she could have done imo. (I'll concede that it's unlikely any of the above logic was actually considered when the scene was written.)

I'm sure any legitimate Baratheon left would be happy to be given Storms End.

The last lord was Stannis and he maybe dead? There's zero chance that Tywin and Cersei between them (most likely Tywin) hadn't already earmarked a Lannister ally to take over, and whoever that was has been ruling the Stormlands ever since.

I lolled when Dany asks all her supposedly smart advisers who was currently in charge of Storms End and neither she nor they knew the answer. They should have had Brienne stand up and say, "It was Lord Stannis, your grace, but I killed him off screen".

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Infinite Karma posted:

Are there literally any other Night's Watch? Sending Sam back to the wall would be pretty brutal, but at least he could vote himself Lord Commander.

They discussed they only had 52 surviving members following the Wildling attack on Castle Black, so probably 40 max by the time the wall was breached.

When Edd and three other NW guys ran into Beric and Tormund, I figured those were the last four left.

Sam would probably still lose the new Lord Commander election somehow, even if just one other guy survived.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

It's the new Duke Nukem Forever.

I think for many reasons, it's the new Last Guardian

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Bombadilillo posted:

Nobody has said anything about a night watch? And the lord commander died. Dont think it's coming back.

Presumably the wall is still up besides the east watch breach, tormund went to castle black to get through.

yeah but if he's still technically nights watch he can't own land or hold titles. jon would be the sort of weirdo jerk who would still care about that.

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

hemale in pain posted:

yeah but if he's still technically nights watch he can't own land or hold titles. jon would be the sort of weirdo jerk who would still care about that.
Even Jon isn't dumb enough to still have a Night's Watch when there is no more Night King, hardly any more wildlings, the wildlings who are left are friendly, and the wall is broken. It's legit to have a King/Lord/rightful authority release someone from vows when there's no point in keeping them anymore.

oh dope
Nov 2, 2006

No guilt, it feeds in plain sight
I think Jon said technically his watch has ended cause he died. Like that skeleton that said "hell yeah work sucks"

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

In addition to the whole "yes, the north would absolutely accept an incestuous Targaryen king & queen, Varys, you dumbass, because that's exactly how things were done for generations before Robert's Rebellion"

Varys also whines about how it's impossible for Jon to just be like "yeah I'm the rightful heir but I don't want it, give it to Dany" - which is literally the exact same thing Maester Aemon did when his older brother died, leaving him as the legitimate heir, and nobody gave a poo poo back then.

That right there is where the books will dovetail from the show, because for all his faults, GRRM knows better than to write Varys is such a blatant dumbass.

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo

Snow Cone Capone posted:

GRRM knows better than to write

Well yeah, dude's old and rich af now. why waste his last years writing?

oh dope
Nov 2, 2006

No guilt, it feeds in plain sight

Snow Cone Capone posted:

In addition to the whole "yes, the north would absolutely accept an incestuous Targaryen king & queen, Varys, you dumbass, because that's exactly how things were done for generations before Robert's Rebellion"

Varys also whines about how it's impossible for Jon to just be like "yeah I'm the rightful heir but I don't want it, give it to Dany" - which is literally the exact same thing Maester Aemon did when his older brother died, leaving him as the legitimate heir, and nobody gave a poo poo back then.

That right there is where the books will dovetail from the show, because for all his faults, GRRM knows better than to write Varys is such a blatant dumbass.

I have a friend that keeps telling me to read the books whenever I bring up something on the show that doesn't make sense. I don't think she realizes that would only make things worse.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Writing is kinda fun but I guess I don't have a million angry nerds standing ready to hate on everything I write, or a gazillion plot threads and three decades of foreshadowings and prophesies to keep straight.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

I mean like em or not, in the books Varys is written as extremely competent and it's weird as hell that he kept making these half-assed excuses for why the only logical solution now is to kill Dany and force Jon to rule

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

aphid_licker posted:

Writing is kinda fun but I guess I don't have a million angry nerds standing ready to hate on everything I write, or a gazillion plot threads and three decades of foreshadowings and prophesies to keep straight.

imo he should have a big chalkboard with all the details written on it

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
whats the deal with Varys?? seems like he just works for everybody. whats his job? or title? why does he have that position? is he one of those librarian people who got to read all the books?

where did the library go? i thought I remembered this huge hobbit lair of books and scrolls. is that in the snow castle or the desert castle?

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

bring back old gbs posted:

imo he should have a big chalkboard with all the details written on it

He ate the chalkboard, I'm afraid. Honest mistake. Could've happened to anyone

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

Snow Cone Capone posted:

These are the guys who wring their hands and say b-b-b-but.... Traditions! Like assassinating your rivals at weddings and churches, pushing them off of bridges, and burning them alive is cool, and Cersei seizing power worked out, and naming Bronn Warden of whatever and legitimizing Ramsey and Gendry is all good, that's legit. But someone who would secretly have been in line for the throne three dynasties ago, that's ironclad!

Damo
Nov 8, 2002

The second-generation Pontiac Sunbird, introduced by the automaker for the 1982 model year as the J2000, was built to be an inexpensive and fuel-efficient front-wheel-drive commuter car capable of seating five.

Offensive Clock

Snow Cone Capone posted:

well tbf i get where the show is coming from when they say jon cant just say "nah gently caress it" cause if everyone, at least northmen, knew that jon has a claim, and a better one at that, they would rather have him than dany. technically they are both targs, but jon has stark blood, and was born and lived in westeros. dany is an outsider, so given the choice between jon and dany the north would for sure do everything to force jon into the role, and at the least even if jon just said gently caress it and peaced out or killed himself or some poo poo, they would still never accept dany fully with that knowledge

aemon's situation was different cause him denying rule just meant some other targaryen fucker in the line of succession ruled instead, not a big deal and not comparable to this situation i think

in conclusion, farts

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

What’s funny is the show ended up disappointing everyone because it was too rushed, and the books ended up disappointing everyone because they weren’t rushed enough. GRRM has spent the last 2000 pages and 20 years meandering so far away from any resolution that the series is now impossible for him to finish in a satisfying way.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Damo posted:

well tbf i get where the show is coming from when they say jon cant just say "nah gently caress it" cause if everyone, at least northmen, knew that jon has a claim, and a better one at that, they would rather have him than dany. technically they are both targs, but jon has stark blood, and was born and lived in westeros. dany is an outsider, so given the choice between jon and dany the north would for sure do everything to force jon into the role, and at the least even if jon just said gently caress it and peaced out or killed himself or some poo poo, they would still never accept dany fully with that knowledge

aemon's situation was different cause him denying rule just meant some other targaryen fucker in the line of succession ruled instead, not a big deal and not comparable to this situation i think

in conclusion, farts

They're both situations where 1 Targaryen is willing to give up his claim to let the next in line take the throne, how are they not comparable?

People can't force a guy to be king, they can either accept that their King in the North trusts and supports Dany for queen and go along with it, or they can admit that their loyalty to Jon is extremely conditional. If they're actually loyal to him as King in the North, they should be loyal to his decisions.

e: I mean it's obvious that the answer to "why is Varys coming up with a bunch of dumb excuses to murder Dany/why Jon must be king" is "because the show demands it" and not any actual logical reason. It's just another reason the show is dumb and bad.

Snow Cone Capone fucked around with this message at 20:26 on May 9, 2019

Damo
Nov 8, 2002

Offensive Clock

Snow Cone Capone posted:

They're both situations where 1 Targaryen is willing to give up his claim to let the next in line take the throne, how are they not comparable?

People can't force a guy to be king, they can either accept that their King in the North trusts and supports Dany for queen and go along with it, or they can admit that their loyalty to Jon is extremely conditional. If they're actually loyal to him as King in the North, they should be loyal to his decisions.

because in jon and dany's situation, the targs havent ruled in a while. it's not the status quo to have a targ. jon is half targ yes but also half stark. he will likely be accepted and seen as mostly north dude who has lived his whole life in westeros, and fought and bled for them. also, if you want to argue that being a full targ like dany doesnt matter, consider that regardless of her last name, she is a conqueror from across the narrow sea who has no ties or base of support in westeros. she is a fuckin outsider and invader.

it's totally not the same as "oh the one guy in this familial line that has ruled for hundreds of years wants to gently caress off to the wall, whatever, take the next dude in line"

also your point about being his supporters "loyal to his decisions" is missing the point. like i said, when people know what might have been, what they were robbed of, even if the dude they support himself took it away, it will still gently caress up stability.

like did you miss the several scenes of northeners giving dany the stink eye this season

edit: also dont forget about the line tyrion said, that the times of the most peace and stability in the seven kingdoms is when the north supported the throne. how much do you think the north will support the throne if they find out they could have had jon as the more rightful king, and he didn't become that, for whatever reason. even if he declined it himself. it would delegitimize dany's rule with northmen

Damo fucked around with this message at 20:34 on May 9, 2019

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

bring back old gbs posted:

whats the deal with Varys?? seems like he just works for everybody. whats his job? or title? why does he have that position? is he one of those librarian people who got to read all the books?

where did the library go? i thought I remembered this huge hobbit lair of books and scrolls. is that in the snow castle or the desert castle?

He used to be the throne's spymaster, and he had the rad nickname "the spider" because nobody had any loving clue how big his web of informants and cronies was, only that it was bigger than anyone else's. I forget why he peaced out on the show, but it didn't really matter because Qyburn effortlessly subsumed his network, but the last chapter of the books has him resigning his post by shooting Tywin's younger brother, Uncle Kevin, with a crossbow, sadly not on the toilet. He's just one of Dany's nebulous advisors at this point, and I don't think he's made any effort to use his numerous non-orphan contacts for anything.

E: Sorry, that's the last chapter of book 4. The last chapter of the published books is the one about Dany's diarrhea.

Zulily Zoetrope fucked around with this message at 20:32 on May 9, 2019

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Damo posted:

because in jon and dany's situation, the targs havent ruled in a while. it's not the status quo to have a targ. jon is half targ yes but also half stark. he will likely be accepted and seen as mostly north dude who has lived his whole life in westeros, and fought and bled for them. also, if you want to argue that being a full targ like dany doesnt matter, consider that regardless of her last name, she is a conqueror from across the narrow sea who has no ties or base of support in westeros. she is a fuckin outsider and invader.

it's totally not the same as "oh the one guy in this familial line that has ruled for hundreds of years wants to gently caress off to the wall, whatever, take the next dude in line"

also your point about being his supporters "loyal to his decisions" is missing the point. like i said, when people know what might have been, what they were robbed of, even if the dude they support himself took it away, it will still gently caress up stability.

Robert's Rebellion ended less than 20 years before the current events. It's not like the Targaryens were gone for hundreds of years.

I don't think I'm missing the point at all. It's been shown a bunch of times that people in the north don't give a gently caress who sits on the throne down south, as long as they let the north do their thing. If the people loyal to Jon are dead-set on him being king and not warden of the north or whatever, they're the ones missing the point.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

He used to be the throne's spymaster, and he had the rad nickname "the spider" because nobody had any loving clue how big his web of informants and cronies was, only that it was bigger than anyone else's. I forget why he peaced out on the show, but it didn't really matter because Qyburn effortlessly subsumed his network, but the last chapter of the books has him resigning his post by shooting Tywin's younger brother, Uncle Kevin, with a crossbow, sadly not on the toilet. He's just one of Dany's nebulous advisors at this point, and I don't think he's made any effort to use his numerous non-orphan contacts for anything.

E: Sorry, that's the last chapter of book 4. The last chapter of the published books is the one about Dany's diarrhea.

I think it's either heavily implied or outright stated that he's long-distance handling Aegon's training to be king and eventual invasion of King's Landing in the books, but since they folded Aegon into Dany's character I guess they had him take a more hands-on approach and actually head over to Essos to support Dany.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Every time we seen the north gather it ends in cheers or rebellion for their new king. Or their leader making a speech to stop that.

8 Ball
Nov 27, 2010

My hands are all messed up so you better post, brother.

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

He's just one of Dany's nebulous advisors at this point, and I don't think he's made any effort to use his numerous non-orphan contacts for anything.
He watched the previous scene used them to tell everyone about Cersei’s peasant meat shields

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4

Snow Cone Capone posted:

Robert's Rebellion ended less than 20 years before the current events. It's not like the Targaryens were gone for hundreds of years.

I don't think I'm missing the point at all. It's been shown a bunch of times that people in the north don't give a gently caress who sits on the throne down south, as long as they let the north do their thing. If the people loyal to Jon are dead-set on him being king and not warden of the north or whatever, they're the ones missing the point.

Star Wars does this too when the "Empire' has been around for like 22 years but everyone acts like the republic was from the long long ago, before times.

Edit: People are like... "JED-DYE? hmm an ancient unknowable order..." But in the prequels they are literal space cops.

Damo
Nov 8, 2002

Offensive Clock

Snow Cone Capone posted:

you are forgetting about how the north fuckin hates the targs because of what they did to whatever his name was, neds dad and brother and poo poo. sure just 20 years but if given the opportunity they would probably not want to support a full blooded targ outsider and daughter of the mad king who roasted their lord and his heir when they know they could have had jon snow, lyanna starks son.

also dany would not let the north do their own thing, that would mean they are their own kingdom which she explicitly said is not gonna happen.

whatever it doesnt matter i haven't sincerely thought about this dumb story this much in years im gonna stop myself and continue just shitposting about how terrible it all is

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
Friendly reminder that during the zombie, undead invasion all the people in the North were staring at Grey Worm and missandy like Black People!?!? What the heck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Glenn Quebec posted:

Friendly reminder that during the zombie, undead invasion all the people in the North were staring at Grey Worm and missandy like Black People!?!? What the heck.

This was a good portrayal.