Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Malcolm Turnbeug posted:

Was that really a show only scene? gently caress man I’ve retconned heaps of show stuff into the book bc it was so good, I remember doing a reread and being really thrown by the Arya/Roose stuff bc I’d inserted Tywin in my memory

It's in the book. But it's Sam's father not Tywin. We get the story shortly after Sam arrives. He's skinning the deler while threatening Sam with a hunting accident unless he leaves for the wall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Drunken Baker posted:

gently caress, I can't remember the show's name (and it's tangentially related anyway) but in the 90s there was this milquetoast sitcom that ran for 4 seasons, but they knew it was getting canned because almost literally nobody was watching it, not even the heads of the networks. So the writers just got loving weird with it and season 4 was about the characters "waking up" and realising they were in a TV show and breaking the 4th wall and having existential crises about the fact their lives were lies and some suits (God) was just going to end their whole world because they were boring.

That Brad Garrett show Till Death did this, but it wasn't the whole cast, just the wacky neighbor character.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
That might be it then? I never saw the show, just read about it online. Community got real weird in Season 6 too. Like you could tell they were goofing off and Harmon had started hanging around Justin Roiland.

Know what all those shows needed though? Regardless of tone or intent?

Charles Dance getting shot on a toilet as he takes a poo poo.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

MeatwadIsGod posted:

If you're claiming MGSV is comparable to the Star Wars prequels or The Hobbit, lmao. It had a typical development period for a AAA game and some of that time was used to create a new engine which the studio used for other titles. Really MGSV and The Hobbit's problems were due to excessive studio interference and abhorrent labor practices. Like, sure they all have auteurs involved but that was really only the death knell for the Star Wars prequels. The Hobbit had one auetuer they shitcanned in favor of another at the last minute, then all the other lovely meddling from the studio by making them stretch it into three films midway through production, and all the lovely treatment of NZ actors.

Yeah. Rome was criticized for having small or non-existent battle scenes for the Gallic wars and Civil wars. but it's understandable because the show's budget couldn't accommodate it and so the show focused on the far more interesting political maneuvering and social happenings instead. Sure, it would have been nice to have big battles but since two of the main characters were just ordinary legionaries keeping battles at their relatively small perspective worked fine.

the loving retarded history of mgsv was all on kojima

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Complaining about MGSV not living up to the Metal Gear name when Guns of the Patriots is right loving there.
MGSV suffers from a lack of storytelling. MGS4 has way too much and it's ridiculous in a bad way

Sneeter for life.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

DoctorGonzo posted:

the loving retarded history of mgsv was all on kojima

MGSV suffered from lack of David Hayter (Solid Snake being a weirdo who talks alot is alot of what's good about the series) a story that you mostly just forgot about and most prominently only having the two areas/environments, they needed a third one that was distinct from the other two. The engine and gameplay were fantastic.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

A Handed Missus posted:

David Benioff described how the Missandei/Grey Worm romance grew as the series progressed: “This evolved, frankly, because these two actors who were supposed to have quite small parts just impressed us. And then it became very interesting to us: What if there was some kind of attraction here, because it’s almost the ultimate Romeo and Juliet story. How is it possible for there to be a love story between a young woman and a young eunuch?”

loll

I'm guessing D&D don't ever go down on their ladies

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Randarkman posted:

MGSV suffered from s u b v e r t e d e x p e c t a t i o n s and instead of telling the story of how big boss went bad kojima shitted out a story about a unknow goober

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
Solid Snake uses a can of Axe body spray and a lighter to set Big Boss on fire as he takes a poo poo.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Arcsquad12 posted:

Complaining about MGSV not living up to the Metal Gear name when Guns of the Patriots is right loving there.
MGSV suffers from a lack of storytelling. MGS4 has way too much and it's ridiculous in a bad way

Sneeter for life.

I said "metal gear"

They jumped in with

"If you're claiming MGSV is comparable to the Star Wars prequels or The Hobbit, lmao"

:thunk:

Obviously 4 is where the auteur made a 20 hour movie with 4 hours of gameplay in there. Thought that would be obvious but you know. Goons.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Steven king predicts Jon and Dany die, all evil die

Tyrion and Sansa rule together.

Then tweets "but I'm poo poo at endings sooooo."

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos
I would rather have the last three episodes be the Night King killing all major characters and carefully constructing a dismembered body part pinwheel in the middle of King's Landing over what we're actually seeing.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Tinfoil Papercut posted:

I would rather have the last three episodes be the Night King killing all major characters and carefully constructing a dismembered body part pinwheel in the middle of King's Landing over what we're actually seeing.

I'll be honest with you guys im actually enjoying the show. It's poo poo but it's funny and i'm looking forward to dany going craaaaaazy.

I would of course prefer if it was a competently written satisfying conclusion but i'm also fine with a heap of hilarious poo poo.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Bombadilillo posted:

Steven king predicts Jon and Dany die, all evil die

Tyrion and Sansa rule together.

Then tweets "but I'm poo poo at endings sooooo."

This is what I put down in the office death pool. Seems kinda weird to keep undead Jon around, although you could perfectly imagine the cast and show to just sorta forget about that bit.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Jon will get on the boat with the elves, Sam will watch him go

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Yeah that was my thinking, that they do the Tolkien thing and send magic off to a farm upstate.

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Do you think I posted to this forum because I value your companionship?

I'm in the middle of a rewatch and one thing that I keep laughing at is how perfectly the part of Dany's plot with Qarth perfectly mirrors the actual show as a whole.

It looks pretty at first and is described as 'The Greatest City That Ever Was or Will Be' but when you really examine it, it has accomplished nothing and sits there with an empty vault in it's center but plenty of undeserved pride and arrogance for it's finery.

Spice King should have been played by one of D&D.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

How was Samwell not given Hornhill and made lord w/ gendry

Instead we get "see jon, I did gently caress! :haw:" as the end of his storyline

Bombadilillo fucked around with this message at 16:04 on May 9, 2019

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Bombadilillo posted:

How was Samwell not given Hornhill and made lord w/ gendry

Instead we get "see jon, I did gently caress! :haw:" as the end of his storyline

isn't sam still night watch?

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos
I'm sure Gendry's blacksmithing skills will come in real handy when he has to manage a major region of the Seven Kingdoms and also one of the oldest, largest, and strongest castles in Westeros.

Burns
May 10, 2008

Cercei deserves to win. Im all for Team Cercei.

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!

Tinfoil Papercut posted:

I'm sure Gendry's blacksmithing skills will come in real handy when he has to manage a major region of the Seven Kingdoms and also one of the oldest, largest, and strongest castles in Westeros.

She didn't really give a gently caress. She just gave him a castle so he wouldn't come for her throne. Which makes no sense when you think about it, since it gives him power and legitimacy. This loving show

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

The Dregs posted:

She didn't really give a gently caress. She just gave him a castle so he wouldn't come for her throne. Which makes no sense when you think about it, since it gives him power and legitimacy. This loving show

Arya’s claim of Sansa being the smartest woman she knows is understandable when you consider that she only knows two other women and one of them is Dany.

Ralph Crammed In
May 11, 2007

Let's get clean and smart

hemale in pain posted:

What would be the point of the night's watch anymore though?

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

hemale in pain posted:

Are there literally any other Night's Watch? Sending Sam back to the wall would be pretty brutal, but at least he could vote himself Lord Commander.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Infinite Karma posted:

Are there literally any other Night's Watch? Sending Sam back to the wall would be pretty brutal, but at least he could vote himself Lord Commander.

There were smaller outposts scattered along the Wall, but I don’t remember if they brought them all in at Castle Black or not.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
Honestly, Team Cersei now

Everyone else is a complete idiot

So she merked a bunch of religious upperclass people, she sounds like a real friend of the proletariat to me, tbh

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

The Dregs posted:

It makes sense in that it avoids giving Storms End to an actual legitimate Baratheon who likely would have fought against her family in the rebellion, while still nominally respecting existing rules of succession. Also it's an official public act that demonstrates her authority as a queen to do queen things that the various lords present at Winterfell implicitly acknowledge. There are plenty of worse things she could have done imo. (I'll concede that it's unlikely any of the above logic was actually considered when the scene was written.)

superjew
Sep 5, 2007

No fair! You changed the outcome by measuring it!
It's pretty impressive how quickly they turned high fantasy into low fantasy, and now we're back into high fantasy until some magic-ex machina happens.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

hemale in pain posted:

Nobody has said anything about a night watch? And the lord commander died. Dont think it's coming back.

Presumably the wall is still up besides the east watch breach, tormund went to castle black to get through.

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos

DarkSoulsTantrum posted:

There were smaller outposts scattered along the Wall, but I don’t remember if they brought them all in at Castle Black or not.

There's 17 (19?) castles along the wall, but only three are manned: Shadow Tower (Western side), Castle Black (Center), and Eastwatch (Eastern side). The watch was thinned out pretty heavily after the battle at the Fist of the first men - leaving roughly 300 dudes left.

We can presume that Ed brought most of the fighting force with him that remained at Castle Black and the Shadow Tower. It seemed like Eastwatch was turned over to Tormund and his wildlings when they resettled south of the wall - so when that was destroyed I expect the watch took few if any losses.

All in all it looks like we're to expect roughly half of all the fighting forces died at Winterfell, so the watch is down to about 150 dudes between Castle Black and the Shadow Tower.

This is all based on book numbers and following show logic, so next episode the watch will show up at King's landing with 10,000 guys mounted on polar bears. D +D will explain to us how Cersei forgot about the Night's Watch.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

ElGroucho posted:

Honestly, Team Cersei now

Everyone else is a complete idiot

So she merked a bunch of religious upperclass people, she sounds like a real friend of the proletariat to me, tbh

wonder what happened with all of the seemingly poor followers of the High Sparrow? seemed like more of a reactionary populist movement than anything

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos
Cersei blew them up, which cursed the surrounding countryside and turned it into a desert.

oh dope
Nov 2, 2006

No guilt, it feeds in plain sight

brugroffil posted:

wonder what happened with all of the seemingly poor followers of the High Sparrow? seemed like more of a reactionary populist movement than anything

Someone, someday, will eventually fill in the power vacuum there and rebuild the Sept, but for now Cersei presumably has the entire city on lock down with no religion allowed, and nothing happens without her knowing. People worship in secret, and no one rocks the boat.

A Handed Missus
Aug 6, 2012

cersei and her crew are the only ones living in king's landing now god bless

8 Ball
Nov 27, 2010

My hands are all messed up so you better post, brother.
Can’t remember if Euron built more ships and gently caress if I’m going to go back and check but that would at least be an acceptable explanation for the lack of trees around KL, rather than letting everyone assume (correctly) that you the show runners are lazy and broke

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

8 Ball posted:

Can’t remember if Euron built more ships and gently caress if I’m going to go back and check but that would at least be an acceptable explanation for the lack of trees around KL, rather than letting everyone assume (correctly) that you the show runners are lazy and broke

The fleet keeps getting smaller everytime we see it. But that's the "cgi budget" being skimmed and nothing plot related you can count on.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

A Handed Missus posted:

cersei and her crew are the only ones living in king's landing now god bless

4 named characters and a load of peseants

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
rofl that they CG composited in a death scene to keep spoiler people at bay then skipped the scene of a hand brushing some fake white prop fur due to lack of budget