Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shakenbaker
Nov 14, 2005

Grimey Drawer

DEAR RICHARD posted:

I posted this in the stoner/doom thread

:vince:

Goddammit why isn't this coming anywhere close? Hell, I'd take either Enslaved or Yob alone, I'm not picky.

You lucky jerks with this going anywhere close better loving go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kirkjames
Jul 23, 2005

Anyone gently caress with the I, Voidhanger releases?? Can't get enough of this label. Super twisted and unique underground metal poo poo. Top three releases by them so far:

Order of the Solar Temple is top-tier BoC worship with some Pagan Altar-y doom thrown in

Spectral Lore is some unique sounding atmospheric black metal

Howls of Ebb is some seriously twisted death metal, almost like the murky death metal stuff (Portal et al) without any of the murky production.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
Good to see that Battle Beast continues to average two songs per album about Berserk.

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012
Yeah, is that Nosferatu Zodd on the album cover?

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Gamma Nerd posted:

Yeah, is that Nosferatu Zodd on the album cover?

I think its just a winged version of their lion character that's on their other album. I'm personally waiting for the reveal that all of their songs, including Touch In The Night, are secretly about Berserk and it's been a rock opera project all along.

ElectricWizard
Oct 21, 2008

kirkjames posted:

Anyone gently caress with the I, Voidhanger releases?? Can't get enough of this label. Super twisted and unique underground metal poo poo. Top three releases by them so far:

Order of the Solar Temple is top-tier BoC worship with some Pagan Altar-y doom thrown in

Spectral Lore is some unique sounding atmospheric black metal

Howls of Ebb is some seriously twisted death metal, almost like the murky death metal stuff (Portal et al) without any of the murky production.

Don't forget , John Gallow the solo album from John Gallo of Orodruin:
Really good old school "violet" doom.

I, Voidhanger was completely unknown to me before 2014, but wow what an impression they've made this year.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
http://www.ensiferum.com/news

Ensiferum announced their new album, it's called One Man Army and it's coming out in February.

Cover art's infested with the drat blue and orange colour scheme, but at least it makes sense in the context and isn't the super-tired Machado Franco horseshit. It actually looks pretty rad.

There's also supposed to be a new track streaming at http://www.metalblade.com/ensiferum/ but at least at the moment of this posting there's nothing there.
Interestingly, the new track was composed by Demonos Sova of Barathrum.

P.S: How many -ums can there be on one three-band tour?

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
And the first date is in Bochum on top of it all.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.
Here is a MetalSucks article about Slipknot that's actually worth reading:

http://www.metalsucks.net/2014/12/15/rigged-slipknot-percussionist-shawn-clown-crahan/

A TURGID FATSO
Jan 27, 2004

Here's to ya, JACKASS

Shawn "Clown" Crahan posted:

Finally: it should go without saying that grip is incredibly important. The last thing you want is for the bat to give you blisters or, worse, fly out of your sweaty hands as you’re swinging it and knock one of your bandmates in the head (trust me, I learned the hard way when I accidentally knocked out Craig Jones on our first Ozzfest… the injury he sustained as a result severely limited his mobility and speed, and is the reason he so rarely moves on stage). That’s why I use XPROTEX Krushr Batting Gloves… ain’t nothing slipping outta these bad boys. If you used them to rub one out, they’d rip your cock off. Now that’s quality!
:stare:

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!
Still a grown rear end man dressed like a juggalo

whatshesaid
May 6, 2007
:spooky:

Drunk Canuck posted:

Anyway I'm flip flopping on going to see Opeth, In Flames & Red Fang, worth it?

Yeah, no. I saw it in Atlanta Monday night--an entire 5 hours' drive, one way, from where I live. It was not my idea. I have driven further to see Opeth because I'm a hopeless fan girl, but I only went along with it because it was a fun adventure/mini-vacation with friends who wanted to go. Every bit of it sucked, except for Opeth. We had a great time in Atlanta, but the show did not make the trip, at least for me. My friends weren't as judgmental. But I've been a metal elitist smug shithead for a very long time, and they are not.

Re: earlier posts, you guys weren't kidding about In Flames. Holy loving poo poo balls. I was so sad during their entire set. Not one song I knew, as, like I said earlier, I'm still stuck in the Jester Race era. What the gently caress happened? It was so bad.

Don't go, unless you just want an excuse to get poo poo-faced and groove to Opeth, who had a shorter than usual setlist. I can't comment on Red Fang. I guess their music is okay? It's not my thing at all, and I couldn't get into it. It was an odd choice for this line-up.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy

Shakenbaker posted:

Goddammit why isn't this coming anywhere close? Hell, I'd take either Enslaved or Yob alone, I'm not picky.

You lucky jerks with this going anywhere close better loving go.

Oh, I'll loving be there brother.

Enslaved is the best thing that exists. Enslaved is love, Enslaved is life. I love this loving band so much :swoon:

e: Yes I'm way beyond fanboy bullshit when it comes to these guys but I don't care, I've been drunk with them in 3 countries and I'll never get tired of anything and everything they do, I don't care, holy gently caress I can't wait for the new album :swoon:

e2: When In Times comes out I'll make Big Dumb Thread about Enslaved and maybe that'll take some of my gushing elsewhere.

loe3: god I love this band. Please impress me again, just as you've done every single loving time for the last 10 years *blasts Return To Yggdrasil and THE loving BEACON*

Fenrir fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Dec 17, 2014

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...

Being in Slipknot causes brain damage. I thought we already knew that?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p444rqVXaD0

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

DEAR RICHARD posted:

I posted this in the stoner/doom thread

:vince:

I never thought my dick could get this hard but this happened and... I think I might need a doctor

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

Fenrir posted:

e2: When In Times comes out I'll make Big Dumb Thread about Enslaved and maybe that'll take some of my gushing elsewhere.

I'm actually really looking forward to this. I've seen Enslaved 2 or 3 times opening for other bands and always enjoyed their live show, but they are so drat prolific and their sound has changed so much that it's kinda hard to get a handle on their discography. I think so far I've listened to RIITIIR, Axioma, Ruun, Isa, and Frost. I dug them all but it's also the kind of music you can't really absorb by binging all their albums, so an overview would be cool.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Bertrand Hustle posted:

Never seen a woman do pig squeals before holy poo poo:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s2SjhR5I36o

Yup, pig squeals are also dumb and awful when women do them.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Hulk Krogan posted:

I'm actually really looking forward to this. I've seen Enslaved 2 or 3 times opening for other bands and always enjoyed their live show, but they are so drat prolific and their sound has changed so much that it's kinda hard to get a handle on their discography. I think so far I've listened to RIITIIR, Axioma, Ruun, Isa, and Frost. I dug them all but it's also the kind of music you can't really absorb by binging all their albums, so an overview would be cool.

I've actually been planning it for over two years, but the timing was always bad. This time I'm going to go through with it and when In Times comes out, I'm gonna make a Big Dumb Thread about Enslaved because I love these motherfuckers and they're the best band ever and.... I mean, gently caress, we've got threads about poo poo like Manson and Electric Six so why the gently caress not?

To be honest I'm just holding this back on a huge chain, because I am a ridiculously retarded Enslaved fanboy and as most in the metal thread know, I gush the gently caress out about this band every loving chance I get. Hell, I'll bet most will be glad to see me take it out of here and into its own thread just so they don't have to watch me orgasm over and over about the same thing repeatedly.

Fenrir fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Dec 17, 2014

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Fenrir posted:

I've actually been planning it for over two years, but the timing was always bad. This time I'm going to go through with it and when In Times comes out, I'm gonna make a Big Dumb Thread about Enslaved because I love these motherfuckers and they're the best band ever and.... I mean, gently caress, we've got threads about poo poo like Manson and Electric Six so why the gently caress not?

Because way more people listen to Marilyn Manson and everyone who will want to read and post about Enslaved already posts here or in the black metal thread?

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Henchman of Santa posted:

Because way more people listen to Marilyn Manson and everyone who will want to read and post about Enslaved already posts here or in the black metal thread?

Well yeah, probably. I won't dispute that at all. Manson is also a much bigger and more popular band. And I like Manson, or at least did at one point. Still, if I make a Big Dumb Thread about Enslaved and no one's really that interested It'll just die a proper death, and that's okay.

Not sure if anyone talks about Enslaved in the black metal thread at this point, though. They haven't been anywhere near black metal in at least 10-12 years.

But, then again, I don't read the black metal thread.

Fenrir fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Dec 17, 2014

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Hulk Krogan posted:

Also, I quoted this post before, but if you're into the band, you seem to have started in the right places. From what you've listened to already, my immediate recommendation would be the Mardraum album, which may still to this day be their best, although they have tried (and tried QUITE WELL) to top it in recent years.

I would recommend Vertebrae too but that album gets a lot of poo poo (deservedly) for its terrible production. God, those songs sounded so much better live... but you're probably not gonna hear them in concert now. Maybe Ground, but that's about it. Either way, To The Coast, Ground and Reflection are so loving good. Oh hell what am I saying, just listen to every Enslaved thing ever that isn't Monumension. Almost all of it is awesome.

OH GOD it's happening again. The never-ending Enslaved gushing. And a new album in 3 months, during which I'll probably try to find ways to hide all this gush oh loving poo poo. In the meantime here is what I will give you all:
THE loving BEACON

God drat I love this loving band.

HARK, MEN OF FAITH

WHERE WERE YOU WHEN YOUR CHILDREN BLED TO DEATH?

Fenrir fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Dec 17, 2014

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Enslaved is boring, sorry.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
Eh, everyone isn't going to like everything, and that's cool. The choice of "boring" to describe them makes me kinda sad because I really love the warmth and energy they put into their stuff but *shrug* I've probably said that or worse about stuff other people like.

e: wait, I'm supposed to get all "internet mad" because you don't like my favorite band. Hang on I gotta look stuff up. OK so first I have to insult you in a way that makes no sense. So .. umm, you're short. I have no idea whether or not that's true. I'm only 5'9" so I'm probably off by a whole lot there. Now I have to ... uh, call you a human being? I don't know at this point. So, you're gay or something. I'm real bad at this.

Also, THE BEACON.

Fenrir fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Dec 17, 2014

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Who cares.

Either way spectral lore have a new split with a band I'm going to assume is a group of nazis due to having the word "Reich" in their name and I'm not going to listen to any naysayers telling me the name really means "night realm" or anything else sane. But anyway the I haven't given the split my full attention but I liked the SL songs on it.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
let's start a band called Nachtreicht

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
Spectral Lore owns pretty hard so I'm gonna have to look into this even if the other half of the split is garbage.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

The news of this new Enslaved album is so fortuitous. My holiday has just been made.

Also, I'm behind the tech death metal times, but I gave Incurso by Spawn of Possession a spin and my mind got loving blown by the solos on The Evangelist.

http://youtu.be/Zl1yCKOQQO8?t=4m27s

That loving wah solo.... :circlefap:

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Vargatron posted:

The news of this new Enslaved album is so fortuitous. My holiday has just been made.

I KNOW, RIGHT? poo poo, it's made my whole 2015. The release is the day after my birthday.

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012

Fenrir posted:

Eh, everyone isn't going to like everything, and that's cool. The choice of "boring" to describe them makes me kinda sad because I really love the warmth and energy they put into their stuff but *shrug* I've probably said that or worse about stuff other people like.

e: wait, I'm supposed to get all "internet mad" because you don't like my favorite band. Hang on I gotta look stuff up. OK so first I have to insult you in a way that makes no sense. So .. umm, you're short. I have no idea whether or not that's true. I'm only 5'9" so I'm probably off by a whole lot there. Now I have to ... uh, call you a human being? I don't know at this point. So, you're gay or something. I'm real bad at this.

Also, THE BEACON.

5'9 is short? :raise: I'm 5'7 and was always under the impression that was average. I don't mind being a bit small though :3:

@Vargatron: Spawn of Possession's last album is legit good, yeah, the songs are really well-constructed and do a good job of incorporating neoclassical influence without just becoming pure wank. If you liked Incurso, you should check out Anata's last 2 albums - similarly brilliant modern tech death band, bit less brutal than SoP.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

I'm 5'5 and going to metal shows owns because everyone there is huge.

Gamma Nerd posted:

@Vargatron: Spawn of Possession's last album is legit good, yeah, the songs are really well-constructed and do a good job of incorporating neoclassical

Can you explain what you mean by neoclassical?

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012
I'm no expert, but the guitar work has a bit of Necrophagist-isms going on, and Necrophagist are pretty strongly inspired by Baroque music. The Evangelist even has some harpsichord synth playing counterpoint to the guitar parts. A friend of mine who's more knowledgeable says he heard some Bartok influence in that track, but I wouldn't know since the only compoaser I'm familiar with from that era is Stravinsky :shobon:

Then again, if that was all it took to classify an album as "neoclassical", Nothingface would count because a part of Sub-Effect quotes The Rite of Spring. So, yeah, probably was silly of me to apply that term.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

Gamma Nerd posted:

5'9 is short? :raise: I'm 5'7 and was always under the impression that was average. I don't mind being a bit small though :3:

I'm 5'7", I'm as tall as Tom Cruise and Napoleon Bonaparte.

Baron Von Ghoulosh
Dec 16, 2005

There was a time when I fed from golden chalices,
but now...

Now, I feed as
an old man pees.
Hmmm...

Dates coming tomorrow!

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
What's the fourth band? I can only see it as Wolfmother.

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
I think it says Womhammer? Wolvhammer?

Baron Von Ghoulosh
Dec 16, 2005

There was a time when I fed from golden chalices,
but now...

Now, I feed as
an old man pees.

Henchman of Santa posted:

What's the fourth band? I can only see it as Wolfmother.

Wolvhammer

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

Kumbamontu posted:

I think it says Womhammer? Wolvhammer?

Wombhammer

... probably another tour entirely skipping TN/KY

Parachute
May 18, 2003
I'm just happy as someone who lives in Houston that I only had to drive 7 miles to see Revenge in October.

ElectricWizard
Oct 21, 2008
The site I write for requested 30 entries for our end of year-lists this year, here's mine:

1 YOB - Clearing The Path To Ascend
2 Earth - Primitive And Deadly
3 Blut Aus Nord - Memoria Vetusta III: Saturnian Poetry
4 Teitanblood - Death
5 The Order Of The Solar Temple - The Order Of The Solar Temple
6 Goat - Commune
7 Blood Of Kingu - Dark Star On The Right Horn Of The Crescent Moon
8 Sunn O))) & Ulver - Terrestrials
9 The Great Old Ones - Tekeli-Li
10 Monolord - Empress Rising
11 Fen - Carrion Skies
12 Mare Cognitum - Phobos Monolith
13 Rome - A Passage To Rhodesia
14 Spectral Haze - I.E.V.: Transmuted Nebula Remains
15 Panopticon - Roads To The North
16 Wovenhand - Refractory Obdurate
17 Satanic Warmaster - Fimbulwinter
18 Bong - Stoner Rock
19 Thou - Heathen
20 Bastard Sapling - Instinct Is Forever
21 Agalloch - The Serpent & The Sphere
22 The Body - I Shall Die Here
23 Midnight - No Mercy For Mayhem
24 Paramnesia - Paramnesia
25 Bongripper - Miserable
26 Bölzer - Soma
27 John Gallow - Violet Dreams
28 Death Penalty - Death Penalty
29 Truckfighters - Universe
30 Tumbleweed Dealer - Western Horror

I know I'm missing a lot of great stuff, but holy poo poo 2014 has been packed with fantastic metal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

Wombhammer

... probably another tour entirely skipping TN/KY

Nah, they'll have a show in Knoxville for some reason.