Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Kinda like the classic question of why doesn't every Avenger have an Iron Man suit?

To avoid the sort of brand dilution that results in genericization, like happened with the trampoline. It's too valuable an IP to take chances with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

i mean the last guy he gave an iron man suit to, it didn't work out too well for him.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

i mean the last guy he gave an iron man suit to, it didn't work out too well for him.

Now that I think about it... Since Tony kind of created a stable extremis variant; why is Rhodey still crippled?

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Now that I think about it... Since Tony kind of created a stable extremis variant; why is Rhodey still crippled?

I mean what do you mean by "still?" He hasn't shown up in a movie since then.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Tony / Stark Industries was worried about the tech being used to make super soldiers, so they got rid of it (after healing Tony and Pepper).

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

He's in a lower-body brace at the end of Civil War. This would be completely unnecessary with Extremis.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

At the end of Civil War he is crippled and shown to be going through physical therapy. He mentions that it is going to be a while before he recovers and he might not ever be at 100% again. Why not just give him some of that stable extremis?

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Sir Kodiak posted:

He's in a lower-body brace at the end of Civil War. This would be completely unnecessary with Extremis.

I guess I don't remember enough about how extremis works but then I tuned out for a lot of Iron Man 3

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Grendels Dad posted:

Hulk wouldn't wear one because he is a rage-fueled monster, Thor wouldn't wear one because he's a snobbish god, Captain America doesn't get one because he is old and old people don't get technology.

Both Hawkeye and Black Widow would likely be more effective at least.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

I guess I don't remember enough about how extremis works but then I tuned out for a lot of Iron Man 3

It regrows someone from being burned, mangled, and crushed, if I remember. A little spinal injury shouldn't cause it problems.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

They also used a completely unrelated sci-fi healing machine to fix Hawkeye in Age of Ultron, so they've got a few options.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

He's required to have been dealt a rotten hand so his unwavering endorsement of Tony's policies comes across as stronger and more genuine. "I'm on your side" has more impact coming from a guy whose life has been permanently changed by that very decision.

scuba school sucks
Aug 30, 2012

The brilliance of my posting illuminates the forums like a jar of shining gold when all around is dark
Maybe if you're worried about your magic heart/skin/spinal cord regrowing tech being used to create super-soldiers, don't give that tech to the guy who is literally a soldier who has greater loyalty to the military than to your vigilante supergroup? It's not like Rhodey even asked for the suit in the first place, he straight up stole it.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
In the year 3000, will everyone wear iron man suits?

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

GRANNYS PEACH TEA posted:

Maybe if you're worried about your magic heart/skin/spinal cord regrowing tech being used to create super-soldiers, don't give that tech to the guy who is literally a soldier who has greater loyalty to the military than to your vigilante supergroup? It's not like Rhodey even asked for the suit in the first place, he straight up stole it.

Have you been to a doctor? They don't give you their technology, they use it on you.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Electromax posted:

In the year 3000, will everyone wear iron man suits?

We will literally be Iron Man suits

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat
Everyone will live in a single iron man suit.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
"I see a suit of armour around the world."

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~

LesterGroans posted:

"I see a suit of armour around the world."

Why don't you just put the whole world in a suit, Iron Man?

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Considering the concept of the Dyson Sphere, it's not crazy

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
A Dyson sphere doesn't have guns. You're thinking of a Death Star.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

What if in the future... anime is real?

Makes you think...

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Schwarzwald posted:

A Dyson sphere doesn't have guns. You're thinking of a Death Star.

I mean, they could. Just strap a rocket launcher or ten billion to it.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

BiggerBoat posted:

I trust Michael Clarke Duncan.

I've met some guys with the first name Clark, but never a Clarke. I stand by what I said!

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

10 Beers posted:

I've met some guys with the first name Clark, but never a Clarke. I stand by what I said!

Clarke Peters was the best part of the Wire, man

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy
Neil Patrick Harris
David Foster Wallace
Jennifer Jason Leigh
Jeffrey Dean Morgan
Jamie Lee Curtis

And so on

DeimosRising posted:

Are we counting McGregor as like, Mac and Gregor or something?

Yeah I screwed up and misremembered it as being spelled MacGregor, my bad

Regardless, Aldo and Edgar are definitely first names

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Jenny Angel posted:

Did you know that the top three ranked featherweights in MMA have seven first names between them

Are we counting McGregor as like, Mac and Gregor or something?

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Clarke Peters was the best part of the Wire, man

Never seen it, but I'll take your word for it. :)

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

I was cleaning my closet out and happened across my TPBs of Planetary and I still want a miniseries or movie based on that series. :smith: I know the rights would be a loving nightmare though.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Sir Kodiak posted:

It regrows someone from being burned, mangled, and crushed, if I remember. A little spinal injury shouldn't cause it problems.

I've haven't seen the movie since it first came out, but didn't they also kinda...explode after a while?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Vanderdeath posted:

I was cleaning my closet out and happened across my TPBs of Planetary and I still want a miniseries or movie based on that series. :smith: I know the rights would be a loving nightmare though.

Given how badly the last fantastic 4 movie went the villains would be really cheap to include.

Or just film the Batman crossover issue inviting back all previous Batmans and once and for all end the "not my batman" issue.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

Away all Goats posted:

I've haven't seen the movie since it first came out, but didn't they also kinda...explode after a while?

He fixed that. Basically, Tony Stark cured all debilitating injuries, probably cancer as well, and just is like "Naw, not going to share".

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Even if he doesn't want to share, you can apparently prevent exploding by using a taser?

Marvel Movies Wiki posted:

the stun weapon developed by Leo Fitz and Jemma Simmons used on Michael Peterson when the 'Centipede' Extremis was about to destroy him provided a 'shock treatmet' which rendered the virus' instability inert, but did allow the enhanced abilities (such as super strength, stamina etc.) to remain.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Robot Style posted:

Even if he doesn't want to share, you can apparently prevent exploding by using a taser?

Centipede was different than Extremis. It was a cuh-raaazy drug cocktail / genetic experimentation / cybernetics combination that had extremis as part of the drug cocktail.

Also, the taser was not a traditional taser, it was a cryogenic round from a pistol.

#ComicBookScience

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Finally saw Civil War and I'm amazed by how much the BvS memes apply at least as well to it:

-no color
-dour, sad all the time (except for quips I guess)
-the evil plan doesn't make much sense

Iron Man even has similar issues with his mommy and daddy that are causing him to act like a psychopath. Instead of a debateably cringey resolution though, there's just nothing.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

The Evil Plan theoretically makes sense if Zemo actually knows enough about the personalities involved by being a good intelligence agent. The only bit he can't plan ahead is Iron Man showing up at the very end, but his end goal was probably just post the video somewhere or send it to Tony, him showing up just makes that last bit easier.

His plan is basically; frame the Winter Soldier so that Captain America does something stupid, use this as a distraction to get to the Winter Soldier bunker, gain a copy of the mission video, somehow show it to Tony Stark, shatter the Avengers. The four lead characters are all motivated in some way by feeling like they failed an important person; Tony failed to say goodbye to his mother, Steve is in danger of failing to save Bucky, T'Challa failed to protect his father and Zemo failed to keep his family safe. But how they deal with these failures is the interesting bit, by the end of it the only person who has meaningfully resolved his own problems is T'Challa, Zemo may have momentarily broken the Avengers but he failed to die in the process and his work will presumably be reverted at some point, Steve has become a fugitive to protect Bucky who is voluntarily being imprisoned within ice anyway, Tony has caused even more strife amongst his close personal friends and gotten someone else injured, whilst T'Challa doesn't take vengeance, instead he moves past that and by the end of the movie is the only one to have a positive character arc.

The other points are pretty accurate though, it's why I personally find the Airport fight really fun to watch, even if from a story point of view it's jamming all your action figures together because you can.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Also, in a shocking first for a comic book villain, Zemo actually tries to implement his plan in the simplest and most direct way by trying to get the Hydra general to talk in the first 5 minutes. Framing Bucky is plan B after he drowns the general.

And I liked that the end of the movie is basically "Tony, Steve, T'challa, and Zemo are all flawed people haunted by their past. T'challa is the only one who moves on and the rest want to go down with the ship." Zemo's superpower is that everyone is a broken person and he knows it.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Aug 31, 2016

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Martman posted:

-no color

I don't know if I agree with this.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

I don't know if I agree with this.
It's a reference to the frequent criticism that these movies take place in drab gray settings - helicarriers, airports, etc. The difference of course being that when people say BvS has no color, they're referring to the color grading, while the Marvel movies have much more traditional coloration. For better or for worse - who's to say.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Somebody with Photoshop skills please Snyderize all the cars in The Avengers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Halloween Jack posted:

Somebody with Photoshop skills please Snyderize all the cars in The Avengers.

Just find a screencap and then turn the cyan levels up 400% in paint.

• Locked thread