Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: GhostofJohnMuir)

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
https://twitter.com/nbcnews/status/1289380366654951424?s=21

u guys heard about this ☝️

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

what in the world

Goons Are Gifts
Jan 1, 1970

fauna posted:

realtalk, keeping animals has been so much better for my mental health than the service of any human professional i've consulted so far (and believe me, i've tried.)

ariel did promise me that would be the case back in 2014, i didn't quite believe him at the time but i was wrong

Animal friends are just the cure for everything

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

self isolate? if i get covid u better believe im takin everybody down with me b*tch

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

lmao

for some reason i pronounced it zoo-ooks.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

its great

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

Caught between two worlds...

them

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

this is a violation of ancient law and you both know it

out of being extremely tired im going to say its fine, as long she never DMs me outside a medical emergency

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

and people said no one ever actually squatted in this chat thread for the discourse

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Who is zoux and who is that?

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

someone less a poo poo head than you are, if thats possible

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Berke Negri posted:

someone less a poo poo head than you are, if thats possible

Do you have any idea how little that narrows it down?

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

yeah youre a poster to get out of here not hard to determine

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

zoux is a malevolent spirit that used to haunt this thread, until he was ritually sealed into a brown paper bag from which he cannot escape until the end times

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.
he told me he's going to post here tomorrow :)

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

exmarx posted:

he told me he's going to post here tomorrow :)
checks out tbh

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

avs you will be happy to know my sister bought some chickens and they have tiny little poofy heads that looks like cotton balls. I will get some pictures soon.

The farmer gave her 2 additional ones because apparently the others were trying to peck them to death. I did not know that was a thing.

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

Furnaceface posted:

avs you will be happy to know my sister bought some chickens and they have tiny little poofy heads that looks like cotton balls. I will get some pictures soon.
yes!! :neckbeard:

quote:

The farmer gave her 2 additional ones because apparently the others were trying to peck them to death. I did not know that was a thing.
birds can be brutal :(

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

fauna posted:

checks out tbh

not really sure what life will be like without all of the current end of days energy

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

not really sure what life will be like without all of the current end of days energy
i feel fortunate for being born into a post-apocalyptic family (we didn't even know until quite recently quite how post-apocalyptic, but it was imprinted on our dna nevertheless) so the rest of the zeitgeist has just caught up to our baseline level of invigorated despair. it all feels very normal to me. life in the 90s and 00s was weird, especially in rural podunk australia, with a whole end of days just behind us and another one looming up on the horizon and everybody acting like everything was fine and always had been fine forever

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

we'll never go back to that illusion of normalcy, and i'm happy about it. it wasn't right, and it wasn't healthy

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

fauna posted:

we'll never go back to that illusion of normalcy, and i'm happy about it. it wasn't right, and it wasn't healthy

I keep trying to tell people this and they either look at me like Im the devil or look at me like Im insane.

People, especially older people, 100% believe its right back to pre-pandemic life as soon as this passes. Just look at all the boomers flocking to cruise ships right now in anticipation. :smith:

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

Furnaceface posted:

I keep trying to tell people this and they either look at me like Im the devil or look at me like Im insane.

People, especially older people, 100% believe its right back to pre-pandemic life as soon as this passes. Just look at all the boomers flocking to cruise ships right now in anticipation. :smith:
greater society is still very much in denial. it's a tragedy in the making; the cruise ships, and what's going to result from that whole mess, are just the most immediate and visible sign of that. i really wish it didn't have to be like this.

this will be studied more after the fact, but it's been a trend that communities that have been mistreated most harshly in recent history, whether by other humans or just by fate, have done the best at combating coronavirus with the resources that they have. the luckier, wealthier nations have mostly poo poo the bed. "nothing bad can happen to us" is such an incredibly powerful worldview that's almost impossible to break in somebody who's been raised in it since birth, because they're part of a group that's always been on top and that, historically, nothing bad has ever happened to. having that huge trauma in recent history just seems to circumvent that instinct, so instead of the slowly dawning realisation that "this could be something bad", those communities begin at the standpoint of "bad things have happened to us and this is another one."

i believe the societies that took coronavirus seriously will also be most resilient in the face of climate change. it's a question of whether the ones that get hit harder but manage to keep residual wealth and power (i.e., america) will allow them to survive when poo poo really hits the fan

fauna fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Aug 5, 2020

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
i don't think anyone in the developed world will notice much until modernity starts breaking down. that will take some time.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

fauna posted:

i believe the societies that took coronavirus seriously will also be most resilient in the face of climate change. it's a question of whether the ones that get hit harder but manage to keep residual wealth and power (i.e., america) will allow them to survive when poo poo really hits the fan

i'm pessimistic. the only way the global powers don't drain the global poor to a husk is if they nuke each other first

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.
i was pretty surprised how quickly everything went back to normal. no one (myself included tbh) feels particularly worried about covid anymore, even though a slip-up at the border is inevitable.

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

exmarx posted:

i was pretty surprised how quickly everything went back to normal. no one (myself included tbh) feels particularly worried about covid anymore, even though a slip-up at the border is inevitable.

Did NZ already have vacationers return to school? Assuming you have holidays in "Summer" at all.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.
we eliminated community transmission so the only restrictions we have are at the border, which is closed to non-citizens/residents. everyone coming into the country needs to spend 14 days in an isolation/quarantine hotel.

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

the best thing about weaning off my lovely antidepressants is my alcohol tolerance has gone through the roof. i've unlocked the liver of my forefathers

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Oh is it that way around? I've been on happy pills for so long I can't remember if it improved my drinking tolerance or ruined it.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
depends on the pills

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Any recs for books about the Black Panthers

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

El Gallinero Gros posted:

black against empire is a hagiography but it's a compelling read

the paradigm shift
Jan 18, 2006

who is doing the avatar avs

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

the paradigm shift posted:

who is doing the avatar avs

avatar thread in the sci fi forum

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

El Gallinero Gros posted:

about or by?

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
the ticks are relentless this year. i think they can smell blood in the air and it calls to them

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

Somebody fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Jul 31, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

Somebody fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Jul 31, 2023