Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: GhostofJohnMuir)

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

I was curious to see if anything had been taken from Canada to somewhere else where it is now considered invasive and only the box elder maple, in Australia of all places, showed up.

Apparently Australians love to bring in poo poo from Florida and Texas only to have it go invasive. Also why would you bring in fire ants and crazy ants???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
the entertaining thing to me about eucalyptus is their love off dropping limbs or deciding to fall over on top of people

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

Caught between two worlds...

Furnaceface posted:

I was curious to see if anything had been taken from Canada to somewhere else where it is now considered invasive and only the box elder maple, in Australia of all places, showed up.
i'd actually never heard of that one, i've seen them in gardens but they're not hugely problematic out in the wilderness. sometimes species get classed as invasive based on a population of like, ten trees. even your ferals are polite :unsmith:

quote:

Apparently Australians love to bring in poo poo from Florida and Texas only to have it go invasive. Also why would you bring in fire ants and crazy ants???
see also: ideology lol

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

the entertaining thing to me about eucalyptus is their love off dropping limbs or deciding to fall over on top of people
vengeance

on my farm we had the most terrifying trees, angophoras (closely related to eucalypts). they were absolutely divine, nobody could tell me exactly how old they were but most estimates put them at a few centuries at least, possibly pre-dating the white invasion. unfortunately i have no photos because my old computer died, but they were huge and their upper reaches were just this labyrinth of twisted branches that all looked like they were hanging on by a thread. occasionally they'd casually shed man-sized chunks of wood, but those always somehow managed to avoid landing on anything important, i believe deliberately. lightning loved them too. out of all the trees in the bush they're known to be one of the most dangerous during a bushfire, because the fire can burn inside them for ages before the tree finally falls apart

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

just got accepted for a graduate diploma in project management, i can learn to manage projects. endlessly stacking up qualifications has worked so well for all the other millennials of course it'll work for meeee

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
i never got any formal schooling in project management, but i keep getting my inbox full of advertisements for agile training programs

i assume it refers to improved agility at dodging things thrown at me by clients

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

i never got any formal schooling in project management, but i keep getting my inbox full of advertisements for agile training programs

i assume it refers to improved agility at dodging things thrown at me by clients
"agile" is one of those corporate buzzwords i instinctively distrust for this very reason lol

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

fauna posted:

"agile" is one of those corporate buzzwords i instinctively distrust for this very reason lol

because of your desire to accurately aim at project managers?

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

Cease to Hope posted:

because of your desire to accurately aim at project managers?
i bear them no ill will, but i wish to be struck by any projectiles aimed at me, for the purposes of learning and self-improvement

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

fauna posted:

i bear them no ill will, but i wish to be struck by any projectiles aimed at me, for the purposes of learning and self-improvement

I'm afraid the Klob campaign has already folded, but I'm sure you'll find many other relevant career opportunities!

Sinnlos
Sep 5, 2011

Ask me about believing in magical rainbow gold

We discovered that Owlbert has taken to depositing his pellets in the gutter.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
makes sense, that's were i tend to vomit as well

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
https://twitter.com/ReutersLegal/status/1289278954977628161

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
one of my irresponsible non-socially distant roommates was coughing for the past few days, and now i'm coughing and hyperventilating a bit, but i'm 99% sure i'm just being a hypochondriac

i hate all of this bullshit

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

Sinnlos posted:

We discovered that Owlbert has taken to depositing his pellets in the gutter.
owlbert's still around!! :neckbeard:

i've always been horrible about goons and their general resilience, but it sincerely amazes me that anybody living in america is able to function at all right now. i'd be under my bed shrieking like a curlew 24/7

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

the paradigm shift posted:

post the drat ostrich keets

in other news i have discovered cameo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wXAqSkzQCLs

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

Homura and Sickle posted:

in other news i have discovered cameo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xvNnGtm8oVc

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

fauna posted:

:negative:

the spread of eucalyptus all over the world is a legit tragedy. i think by now they might have the highest human and animal death toll of any introduced species. and all those countries already had perfectly good timber trees!

acacias are pretty bad too. they're almost as combustible as eucalypts, and because they're a pioneer species they grow really fast and really dense, especially after a fire

yeah it's a real shame because, as im sure as you know, the eucalyptus are also water hogs and it's done serious damage to portugal's native trees, the cork oak

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

i love them

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Dreylad posted:

yeah it's a real shame because, as im sure as you know, the eucalyptus are also water hogs and it's done serious damage to portugal's native trees, the cork oak

it legitimately blew my mind learning that one of portugal's big exports was... corks made from cork oak

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

it sounds like one of those jokes, like the job bush or the magic money tree

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
why am i not suprised that you're fascinated by the thought of rare and impossible lumber

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

V. Illych L. posted:

it legitimately blew my mind learning that one of portugal's big exports was... corks made from cork oak
same! i don't know what i thought it was made out of, but it definitely wasn't oak.

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

why am i not suprised that you're fascinated by the thought of rare and impossible lumber
lmao

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

it surprises me how much i enjoy cspam

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

fauna posted:

it surprises me how much i enjoy cspam

It's good

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

ah, godzilla

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Ostrich in Mongolian is "strutsi" I hope you can use this info.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

fauna posted:

while on a sabbatical from the forums, i got a schizophrenic internet boyfriend

he can see through time, talk to animals, control radio waves, die at will and then return to life, and he is both the head of the american music industry and of the us marine corps

he carries the ancient bloodline of my people, so given the opportunity i will absolutely have his baby and invite all kinds of chaos into my life

thought we werent going to bring this up avs

disappointed (but not done)

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

Berke Negri posted:

thought we werent going to bring this up avs

disappointed (but not done)
this is how i take the relationship to the next level

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
this is a violation of ancient law and you both know it

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

this is a violation of ancient law and you both know it
i am working under direct orders from my teacher

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.

lol

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

fauna posted:

i am working under direct orders from my teacher

Welcome back friend

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

Welcome back friend
thank you, it's good to be here. i didn't want to miss sharing the downfall of western civilisation with you all.

haunted tomato update, my black krym tomato vines did not survive the frost and i only managed to get one fist-sized semi-tomato before they died. this sat on my kitchen bench for two months, where it inexplicably continued to grow and ripen. when it was the shape and colour of a fully ripe tomato, but half the size, it started to go mushy. at that point i cut it open and planted the seeds in a little hothouse i made out of a coffee jar. the seeds have now, incredibly, begun to sprout. they want to live

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.
It's really messed up that weed was ever illegal. No overdoses ever recorded, hemp is a useful industrial plant, and CBD can help with medical issues.

Cigarettes and alcohol are some of the most destructive drugs in our society and they've been legal simply because of cultural habit, it's just stupid.

Yes, I just randomly brought up weed, I am a serious person to take seriously

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

adoration for none posted:

It's really messed up that weed was ever illegal. No overdoses ever recorded, hemp is a useful industrial plant, and CBD can help with medical issues.

Cigarettes and alcohol are some of the most destructive drugs in our society and they've been legal simply because of cultural habit, it's just stupid.

Yes, I just randomly brought up weed, I am a serious person to take seriously
as we speak i am smoking a mix of dried salvia and loose leaf tobacco out of a bong because coronavirus cut off my weed supply, so your views are relevant to my life

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

it's especially frustrating because i've spent the past five years on an antidepressant that wasn't working. there are no psychiatrists in rural australia, no doctors would help me switch to a different medication or wean off (i have since found out this is because that medication is famous for brutal withdrawal side effects, associated with thousands of lawsuits and multiple deaths; but nobody told me that, it was just "oh no you're on this for the rest of your life, don't you dare stop taking it"), and it was actively loving up my liver and my blood pressure on top of not doing anything to treat the symptoms it was supposed to be treating. i ended up going off it myself and just weathering the withdrawals, which are absolutely as bad as described. somehow that drug was perfectly fine and ethical for me to be prescribed, but weed is the devil.

Goons Are Gifts
Jan 1, 1970

Counterpoint: that bird and dog are absolutely excellent and a great help for everything :swoon:

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

Goons Are Great posted:

Counterpoint: that bird and dog are absolutely excellent and a great help for everything :swoon:
realtalk, keeping animals has been so much better for my mental health than the service of any human professional i've consulted so far (and believe me, i've tried.)

ariel did promise me that would be the case back in 2014, i didn't quite believe him at the time but i was wrong

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
someone i know just became a practicing vet recently and i've just been sending them a constant barrage of questions about the various dogs i know. i think they regret knowing me now

also stayed up till 4am for the first time in probably years and really regretting it. my sunday is going to be a haze