Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Try disabling Caller Name ID.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021
I'm looking to get a new phone but I've still got a grandfathered unlimited data plan. Can I still buy phones outright and keep unlimited like I did 2 or 3 years ago?

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

pik_d posted:

I'm looking to get a new phone but I've still got a grandfathered unlimited data plan. Can I still buy phones outright and keep unlimited like I did 2 or 3 years ago?

Yes.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

Is there any reason not to? A quick search brought up something said in a G+ thing about forcing a change? Is there anything substantial about that? It would suck to pay full price then get bitten by being forced to go to some other plan.

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew

pik_d posted:

Is there any reason not to? A quick search brought up something said in a G+ thing about forcing a change? Is there anything substantial about that? It would suck to pay full price then get bitten by being forced to go to some other plan.

Link to the G+ post?

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

Super Dude posted:

Link to the G+ post?

I didn't see the actual G+ thing, it was an article that said someone mentioned on G+ that it was changing, but I'm on my phone now and can't find it now.

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

If VZW was going to bump people off unlimited just because they brought their own VZW compatible phone (used, new purchased outright, whatever) there'd be a ton of media coverage

Edit: FWIW, my Dad (who is still on unlimited) and I visited a VZW corporate store this weekend to get a Nano-SIM so he can switch from a 4S to 5S and there were zero issues and the clerk was great.

JayKay fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Apr 26, 2015

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

The "you can't have unlimited anymore with a fully paid phone" stories I've seen are when people deal with CSRs who are incentivized to get people on new plans and decide they'd rather bullshit customers. Stories like people walking into a store asking for a SIM for their phone bought off Craigslist and being told they couldn't keep unlimited.

If you're buying the phone full price from Verizon, do it online; you'll get an option in the checkout flow to keep your unlimited. IIRC when I bought an iPhone 6 outright there was a "pick a data plan" screen where you could take a new plan if you wanted, but the unlimited was still an option on that page.

If you bought the phone secondhand and you need a different sized SIM (or your previous phone wasn't LTE at all), the "activate a new device" page asks for your IMEI and they'll ship you a new SIM that's a compatible size.

Either way, easy peasy, you'll keep your unlimited, and you won't run into anyone who will tell you otherwise.

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

My folks are on a family plan with 3 lines. 1 smartphone with unlimited data and 2x dumb lines and all are out of contract. They would like to get rid of 1 dumb line and add data to the other line.

Is it still $30/2GB for data? Is there a different plan they can jump on that wont kill the unlimited on the one line? They already have an iPhone 5 that just needs a sim card so they really dont need to buy a subsidized phone.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
Yes, no.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
I am currently part of my parents' family plan, and I'm also getting married in August. My mom invited my fiancée (currently on AT&T) to join our family plan. There isn't any sort of weird rule saying that the two of us have to start our own separate plan after we get married, right?

Cozmosis
Feb 16, 2003

2006... YEAR OF THE BURNITZ, BITCHES

C-Euro posted:

I am currently part of my parents' family plan, and I'm also getting married in August. My mom invited my fiancée (currently on AT&T) to join our family plan. There isn't any sort of weird rule saying that the two of us have to start our own separate plan after we get married, right?

No.

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time

C-Euro posted:

My wife and I share our family plan with her parents, siblings, and brother in-law. You're fine.

It would be pretty weird if any carrier started enforcing rules like that.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Buried deep into the customer contract is "son, you're 37 years old, why don't you grow up, get a job, get married, and move out of our house already."

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
proceed directly to nearest verizon store to prove you are a. loving someone who is not a family member but will be legally b. not loving family members or anyone else

GUYS STOP
Jun 7, 2003
Grimey Drawer

C-Euro posted:

Wireless Customers Shocked By Weird New Rule (Carriers HATE It)

But seriously if you decide to do an Edge payment plan on the phone you'll get a $100 bill credit for porting in a smartphone right now.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Also take that swinger poo poo to Sprint and their 10-way framily plans

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Hahaha thanks, i think my fiancée is only interested in switching because AT&T won't let her upgrade from her iPhone 4 for some reason (or is just making her wait longer than she wants). Is that $100 credit what she would get from trading in her old phone?

Sirbloody
Aug 21, 2005

Don't fuck with the Rabbi!
I just bought a Droid Turbo (Full Price) off Verizon's website since my Note 3 went to poo poo and I want to keep my unlimited data. Since the turbo uses a nano sim which Verizon is providing and since I didn't make any changes to my accounts data plan I shouldn't have to worry about losing my unlimited data correct?

Cozmosis
Feb 16, 2003

2006... YEAR OF THE BURNITZ, BITCHES

Sirbloody posted:

I just bought a Droid Turbo (Full Price) off Verizon's website since my Note 3 went to poo poo and I want to keep my unlimited data. Since the turbo uses a nano sim which Verizon is providing and since I didn't make any changes to my accounts data plan I shouldn't have to worry about losing my unlimited data correct?

No they should send you a nano SIM with it. If they don't you can always ask for one in store or have one mailed.

That being said, you should probably return or cancel the order and get one off swappa because they are going as cheap as sub 400.

GUYS STOP
Jun 7, 2003
Grimey Drawer

C-Euro posted:

Hahaha thanks, i think my fiancée is only interested in switching because AT&T won't let her upgrade from her iPhone 4 for some reason (or is just making her wait longer than she wants). Is that $100 credit what she would get from trading in her old phone?
No it's just a current promo for porting in from another carrier and starting on Edge with a smartphone. You can still trade in an AT&T iPhone 4 at http://www.verizonwireless.com/device-recycle/

Currently the iPhone 4 is worth between $12-$17 depending on how much storage it has.

You might want to see if eBay or SA Mart would get you a better price.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?
Fairly confident my Galaxy S4 is updating to Lollipop right now. I checked to see if I had an update available and it said there were 2 minor updates to "get it ready" for Android 5.0, available "later this week", but as soon as the phone finished booting after the patch, it gave me a new update that says it's 5.0.

Edit: Confirmed. :)

New Leaf fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Apr 30, 2015

Favorabilis Solitud
May 18, 2006
And that's the way it was.

kitten smoothie posted:

The "you can't have unlimited anymore with a fully paid phone" stories I've seen are when people deal with CSRs who are incentivized to get people on new plans and decide they'd rather bullshit customers. Stories like people walking into a store asking for a SIM for their phone bought off Craigslist and being told they couldn't keep unlimited.

(Going to go over a few things here that popped into my head as I read your post, but it isn't all directed at your post)

This is old but there is actually no incentive or anything built into the metrics to get people off unlimited data and onto new plans. Period. Not at retail or with customer service. Period.

The whole metric of "Revenue Generation" where any accessory, upgrade, insurance, etc was counted per rep was removed a year ago. EVEN THEN, getting people on new plans or off unlimited data was in no way part of the metric and it never was. It may have been talked about, encouraged, etc but compared to everything else..no. Someone may have noticed that reps tend to just talk about things that cost money when it actually is applicable instead of trying to up insurance every call. The only slight correlation between wanting to get people off of unlimited data was because in order to get an upgrade (rev gen), they'd lose unlimited data anyways. If there was a way to upgrade and not lose unlimited data, reps would have been all up in that. But no, we don't care, customers care when their phone breaks and they are faced with a policy that has existed for years...but this isn't news to anyone anymore. If you have unlimited data, no insurance on your phone, you already know the risks.

In regards to features, what verizon did was change the whole system that adds/removes features so that there are no loop holes or anything. So when people call in thinking the rep is actually making the choice to remove certain features, change things, etc..no they don't have a choice and no one can do it.

Finally, in regards to upgrades, plan changes, feature changes, the customer has the FULL amount of powers with the system as anyone that works for verizon, on their myverizon account. It will give a disclaimer regarding unlimited data if it is coming off, it isn't hidden or buried beneath a ton of legal mumbo jumbo.

Favorabilis Solitud fucked around with this message at 22:44 on May 5, 2015

Raised by Hamsters
Sep 16, 2007

and hopped up on bagels
I've got a big 10 line plan in my name, with most of my family on it. I saw a notice in my email this morning that my father-in-law apparently requested manager access to the account. Not sure why as I haven't talked to him yet, however, I do fully trust him not to mess with anything. But, will this create any strange problems with Verizon when people start upgrading phones or anything? For example, would we BOTH have to approve an upgrade, or something equally annoying?

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
As part of a promotion for bringing my fiancée onto my family plan, we got to buy a 4G-capable Galaxy S tablet on the cheap. The Verizon rep said that it was only going to cost $10/mo more on our plan which we're fine paying (I also ate the activation cost). I mentioned this to my mom and sister and they're both telling me to take it back because "they're going to charge you way more than that" including some sort of $125 penalty if I don't "use it enough", whatever that means. They haven't given me evidence that any of this is true, but I don't have time to go back to the Verizon store and learn more before our return window is up. I sent my fiancée but she didn't learn anything new, is there really something they aren't telling us?

Also according to our monthly statement, the tablet itself had a phone number. That's just because it has a SIM card, right? I'm pretty sure I can't use it to make cellular calls.

Coco Rodreguiz
Jan 12, 2007

Peckerhead isn't used enough as an insult if you ask me.

C-Euro posted:

As part of a promotion for bringing my fiancée onto my family plan, we got to buy a 4G-capable Galaxy S tablet on the cheap. The Verizon rep said that it was only going to cost $10/mo more on our plan which we're fine paying (I also ate the activation cost). I mentioned this to my mom and sister and they're both telling me to take it back because "they're going to charge you way more than that" including some sort of $125 penalty if I don't "use it enough", whatever that means. They haven't given me evidence that any of this is true, but I don't have time to go back to the Verizon store and learn more before our return window is up. I sent my fiancée but she didn't learn anything new, is there really something they aren't telling us?

Also according to our monthly statement, the tablet itself had a phone number. That's just because it has a SIM card, right? I'm pretty sure I can't use it to make cellular calls.

Your family is wrong. The only way you'll pay more is if you use the tablet enough to go over on your data. But you'll get warning messages when you start to get close.

There's a terminations fee if you CANCEL the line before two years, which I believe starts at $125 but I don't remember the exact number off the top of my head. But if you keep it for two years than you just pay the ten bucks a month. Verizon doesn't care whether you use the tablet or not. I don't know where the hell that "if you don't use it" penalty came from.

And yeah, because it has a SIM card it has it's own number. You can't use it to make calls but that number is how it also shows up on your bill.

GUYS STOP
Jun 7, 2003
Grimey Drawer

Raised by Hamsters posted:

I've got a big 10 line plan in my name, with most of my family on it. I saw a notice in my email this morning that my father-in-law apparently requested manager access to the account. Not sure why as I haven't talked to him yet, however, I do fully trust him not to mess with anything. But, will this create any strange problems with Verizon when people start upgrading phones or anything? For example, would we BOTH have to approve an upgrade, or something equally annoying?
If he has Manager access on your My Verizon account that means both of you can independently do Manager-only stuff like upgrading equipment, changing plans, setting usage controls and viewing all account details. There is no situation where you would both need to authorize a single transaction.

This is only online. If you want him to be able to call in to customer service or process changes at a store you would need to add him as an Account Manager (this can actually be done online also) and let him know what your account Billing Password is (5 character max, different from your online password.) or create a billing password if you don't have one and use your SSN to verify.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Coco Rodreguiz posted:

Your family is wrong. The only way you'll pay more is if you use the tablet enough to go over on your data. But you'll get warning messages when you start to get close.

There's a terminations fee if you CANCEL the line before two years, which I believe starts at $125 but I don't remember the exact number off the top of my head. But if you keep it for two years than you just pay the ten bucks a month. Verizon doesn't care whether you use the tablet or not. I don't know where the hell that "if you don't use it" penalty came from.

And yeah, because it has a SIM card it has it's own number. You can't use it to make calls but that number is how it also shows up on your bill.

Thanks, I was a little hesitant because it seemed like too good a deal even with the $10/mo payment, including the activation fee I walked out of the store having paid less than $200 for the thing. My family was probably just worried about bringing two more devices onto our data plan, we came pretty close to hitting the cap for the past few months. I don't suppose I can pop the SIM card out of that tablet when I'm farting around at home, just to make sure it doesn't slip up and start using the 4G signal, can I?

Coco Rodreguiz
Jan 12, 2007

Peckerhead isn't used enough as an insult if you ask me.

C-Euro posted:

I don't suppose I can pop the SIM card out of that tablet when I'm farting around at home, just to make sure it doesn't slip up and start using the 4G signal, can I?

Yep. I have my iPad on my account and I literally have the cell data turned off on it except for maybe two times a year.

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

C-Euro posted:

I don't suppose I can pop the SIM card out of that tablet when I'm farting around at home, just to make sure it doesn't slip up and start using the 4G signal, can I?
Please don't do this, you'll cause excessive wear and tear on the pins. Just put it in airplane mode if you're really that concerned about something like that happening. Hint: You really shouldn't be. Just put it on wifi and be done with it.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Anyone use Google Voice for voicemail? It seems like if I enable VoLTE, the conditional call forwarding breaks. Instead of forwarding to GV, the calling party just hears it ringing and ringing forever.

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

kitten smoothie posted:

Anyone use Google Voice for voicemail? It seems like if I enable VoLTE, the conditional call forwarding breaks. Instead of forwarding to GV, the calling party just hears it ringing and ringing forever.

I think when you turn on VoLTE, you have to resetup your GV voicemail. Some people say you have to keep setting it up, like once a week, but I think that's been sorted out for a while. GV doesn't pay nice with anything at all.

Wickerman
Feb 26, 2007

Boom, mothafucka!

Defenestration posted:

Well I sacked up and went through with the hard reset, as the thread said. Didn't help, so they sent me a replacement phone.

Which promptly did the exact same thing, but now with a smattering of randomly restarting itself.

It's definitely a preloaded app that's doing it. I haven't installed any of my 3rd party apps, and the wireless worked fine before I told my google account to download anything. I disabled the update on Hangouts, per Verizon's suggestion, which worked for a hot second, but now we're back to square one, wireless toggles itself off right away every time, even in safe mode. I updated all the apps I can't opt to uninstall, so that's not helping either.

Thank god I have unlimited data, or all this downloading and updating without wireless would be killer.

Are they replacing it with a Droid Maxx and was this through VZW's support, or Asurion?

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Interesting, my Motorola-purchased Nexus 6 now shows up in the account management screen as "NEXUS 6 NON VZW" and I don't see the "Your SIM has been loaded into an unrecognized device, things might not work right" warning anymore.

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

kitten smoothie posted:

Interesting, my Motorola-purchased Nexus 6 now shows up in the account management screen as "NEXUS 6 NON VZW" and I don't see the "Your SIM has been loaded into an unrecognized device, things might not work right" warning anymore.

Are your discounts intact? Are you able to make plan changes?

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

JayKay posted:

Are your discounts intact? Are you able to make plan changes?

I don't get BYOD discounts anyway as I'm on grandfathered unlimited, and having a non-Verizon phone has never affected my corp discount.

If I go to change my plan I get "There was an error with one of our systems and we're working on it now" and I don't know whether that's because of my N6 or because of Verizon being weird.

GUYS STOP
Jun 7, 2003
Grimey Drawer

kitten smoothie posted:

I don't get BYOD discounts anyway as I'm on grandfathered unlimited, and having a non-Verizon phone has never affected my corp discount.

If I go to change my plan I get "There was an error with one of our systems and we're working on it now" and I don't know whether that's because of my N6 or because of Verizon being weird.
It's probably because of the non-VZW device. If you need to change your plan call customer service and have them submit a request to have it added to the Device Management Database (DMD.) It might take a few days but as soon as VZW's billing system knows what it is it should allow changes.

cuedotcom
Jun 16, 2009

:getout:

kitten smoothie posted:

My Playstore N6 also shows up as "NEXUS 6 NON VZW". Now if only they'll push me 5.1 (So loving lazy with vacation)

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
The Droid Turbo is still the poo poo, yes?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

The Droid Turbo is still the poo poo, yes?

If you're OK with Android 4.4.4. It's supposedly getting 5.1 "soon."

• Locked thread