Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

Lemon-Lime posted:

For all the funny and inventive writing, Troika is still just a crusty-rear end D&D retroclone, sadly. I wish the setting and class writing was tied to a better system. :rip:

Just treat it as systemless, it’s not like you lose that much. It’s mostly an art piece, and a fun one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sasha_d3ath
Jun 3, 2016

Ban-thing the man-things.

Lemon-Lime posted:

For all the funny and inventive writing, Troika is still just a crusty-rear end D&D retroclone, sadly. I wish the setting and class writing was tied to a better system. :rip:

??

It's based on Advanced Fighting Fantasy which runs on 2d6, and is barely compatible with any D&D retroclone without modification tho???

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
This game looks cute and fun and chill in a filler gateway game kinda way where you can easily explain the rules and get people interacting with each other.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/nekonekocafe/neko-neko-cafe-the-board-game

But really the main reason I am linking it is because it has a tier you can back at where you receive the game and also a couple of mugs, a plush, and a blanket.

A goddamned blanket.

I can certainly say that I've never seen a board game kickstarter before where one of the deluxe tiers rewarded you with a blanket. Now I'm thinking about what other kickstarters could have used a blanket add-on. Imagine a HATE blanket.

Exciting Jeff
May 23, 2005

FirstAidKite posted:

I can certainly say that I've never seen a board game kickstarter before where one of the deluxe tiers rewarded you with a blanket. Now I'm thinking about what other kickstarters could have used a blanket add-on. Imagine a HATE blanket.

In my experience, games that have reward tiers for things other than a game or something like a poster are a huge red flag. Especially when it’s their first Kickstarter.

But I would consider purchasing a dedicated Game Blanket project.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Exciting Jeff posted:

In my experience, games that have reward tiers for things other than a game or something like a poster are a huge red flag. Especially when it’s their first Kickstarter.

But I would consider purchasing a dedicated Game Blanket project.

Picture, if you will, a quilted blanket project where each of the blocks is a representation of a different game.

Picture, if you will, a quilted handkerchief project where each of the blocks is a representation of a different game that you have actually played a full game of.

Wolfsbane
Jul 29, 2009

What time is it, Eccles?

My mum makes quilts, and she's been experimenting with hexagons recently. I'm trying to persuade her that a Settlers quilt would be a good idea.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Why not a hex n counter wargame instead??

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

silvergoose posted:

Why not a hex n counter wargame instead??

And use woodburned 2x4s as the counters.

E: wait let me write this down

Triskelli fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Jan 19, 2020

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Triskelli posted:

And use woodburned 2x4s as the counters.

E: wait let me write this down

Napoleon's Duvet.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

My friends released their first game on Kickstarter today. It's an I-split-you-choose card game called 10 Gallon Tank. The split mechanic is pretty cool and because of it there's more strategic play than most games like this. It's an easy-to-teach filler game that's a lot of fun.

Thought I'd share the link on here in the event anyone's looking for a good filler game or something to play with family.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/740608278/10-gallon-tank?ref=%22discovery_category_newest%22

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
This is a local guy's first kickstarter. He's a friend of a friend, and is active in the local (small) convention scene. I figured I'd post his kickstarter here, since it looks kinda cute and it's heading towards the end.

It's a small-box dungeon-delve card game.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/lornkeep/ruins-of-the-lorn-keep-card-game

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Oh boy, another one of these!

MAGA Country
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ghostfiremedia/maga-country/description

quote:

MAGA COUNTRY has suffered for generations under the ultra-left-wing rule. As president of MAGA Country, it is your job to put the country back on course and make MAGA Country great again. A game of chance, mixed with strategy and action, will keep you on the edge of your seat as you battle other MAGA country leaders to BUILD THE WALL first and defend MAGA once and for all. But beware, trouble lurks around every corner, politicians, world leaders, banks and even MAGA country citizens are working to undermine all you do. Battle the House and Senate, take on the MAGA central bank and MAGA Street, battle nations and negotiate trade deals, be wise and strategic and have great fun along the way.

Designed for 2 to 4 players, MAGA Country is a game of chance, mixed with strategy and hilarious action. With the roll of the dice, you will navigate around the board, each square you land on directs you in what action you must take. You may have to draw a card from one of the four decks resulting in either a reward or penalty. Rewards can be both cash received from the Central bank or acquiring a secret strategy card that you can use against your opponents. Penalties include loss of wall tiles and finances. Watch out for the Dare Square!
Why do these political Monopoly knock-offs always look the same every single time? It's not even exclusive to Trump supporters, every so often it's some basic-rear end liberal #resistance nonsense that makes The Simpsons' current political commentary look cutting-edge.

I think at this point people only back it for a buck so they can write in the comments section and make the creator mad and cancel the project (so get out the popcorn).

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

It's just another affinity scam.

It's easy to believe that someone who shares a core piece of your identity (ideology, morality, basic worldview) also shares other things with you and is basically trustworthy. In this case, trusting them that the game is worth buying, I guess. Or even just that buying it will anger your political opponents and this is valuable - outrage as a commodity.

I think the left is just sufficiently fractious that affinity scams of greater or lesser scamminess have to aim smaller and more specific. Like Bob Avakian's long-running example!

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that

MAGA Country posted:

Risks and challenges
As with any political themed game we face the risks of negative press and social media backlash. But we are okay with this, bad press is good press still. We know that for a certain percent of the population we will not be a favorite or supported game and know that this will limit our market roughly by 50%.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

dwarf74 posted:

This is a local guy's first kickstarter. He's a friend of a friend, and is active in the local (small) convention scene. I figured I'd post his kickstarter here, since it looks kinda cute and it's heading towards the end.

This looks like a great travel game. Backed!

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways

JazzFlight posted:

MAGA Country

Why do these political Monopoly knock-offs always look the same every single time? It's not even exclusive to Trump supporters, every so often it's some basic-rear end liberal #resistance nonsense that makes The Simpsons' current political commentary look cutting-edge.

I think at this point people only back it for a buck so they can write in the comments section and make the creator mad and cancel the project (so get out the popcorn).
Number one, thematically it doesn't make sense that this is competitive. Are you all president? Or are you presidents of different countries trying to wall each other off?
Secondly fucker is Canadian, loving figure it out.

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Stand down, men! It's only smooching!

quote:

As president of MAGA Country, it is your job to put the country back on course and make MAGA Country great again.

Make Make America Great Again Country great again

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
My favorite thing about the MAGA game is that the developers are in... Canada.

e: beaten to it

slap me and kiss me
Apr 1, 2008

You best protect ya neck
The grift, the grift never changes.

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

dwarf74 posted:

Echoing that this looks like a great game to toss in my backpack when my wife and I are traveling. Backing this, thanks for the link!

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Thanks, goons :)

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

JazzFlight posted:

Why do these political Monopoly knock-offs always look the same every single time?
Because the type of person who bothers to come up with something like this are the types who only have One Joke and that joke is "other side bad".

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Pity there’s no way this gets as funny as Chess rear end in a top hat did.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
My giant box of Stuff From Jordan Draper showed up today. Gotta say...I'm not all that personally keen on the smaller box Tokyo Series games this time around. Game Show seems cute, but ultimately fluffy...and Coin Laundry continues the tradition of being a cute set of components that have real neat table presence but not a whole lot of actual utility.

That said, I'm jazzed to dig into Tsukiji Market. Jordan's heavier economic stuff always hits well with me. And two of the three Japanese Designer games he translated for this campaign are going directly into my rotation of party games. In particular, I can't wait to get my D&D group to play Praise with me.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug
My copy of Empyreal arrived today. It's, uh, bigger than I expected.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

Deathlove posted:

My copy of Empyreal arrived today. It's, uh, bigger than I expected.

Same. Or at least, a different shape than I expected - the mockup they did for the Kickstarter made it look like it was going to be a big long box like Millenium Blades. Not a giant cube.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
My copy of Trial by Trolley showed up last night. Box was smaller and heavier than I expected.

A lot of fun, especially when my stepdaughter screamed "WHAT THE HELL IS WRONG WITH YOU TWO" as my wife and I made her choose between running over guinea pigs eating ice cream or dogs chasing balloons.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
Funny, that's what I always ask utilitarians.

Vidmaster
Oct 26, 2002

CobiWann posted:

My copy of Trial by Trolley showed up last night. Box was smaller and heavier than I expected.

A lot of fun, especially when my stepdaughter screamed "WHAT THE HELL IS WRONG WITH YOU TWO" as my wife and I made her choose between running over guinea pigs eating ice cream or dogs chasing balloons.

Mine came the other day too. I wish they’d made the box just a bit bigger though so you could fit all the cards and expansions on one side. And also that they’d included some dividers or something to keep the card types separated. I’m looking forward to bringing it to family gatherings though.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Yeah, Empyreal is a pretty hefty lad. Once you get it organized, though, setup and teardown is pretty slick.

Also got my copy of the TMNT Adventures games. Little annoying it completely obviates the old Out of the Shadows box, but all the new stuff is neat. I went all-on and got a 25lb package.

slap me and kiss me
Apr 1, 2008

You best protect ya neck
Hey y'all, as a heads up we've got a ZineQuest2020 thread full of juicy rpg kickstarters that are going to be launching soon. Once we hit Feb 2nd, I'll be posting all of them in here so you can investigate and find some super cool indie designers to help out.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
Well, I had a kickstarter that failed because of poor/lacking marketing (and probably not enough tangible progress to be perfectly honest), but I reworked my game and actually finished it. I put in an order with overseas suppliers and I'm just waiting for the first shipment!

Here's a phone pic of the prototype print. I'm working on borrowing a better camera, and of course the real print will have better materials/printing/cutting

More info and printable stuff at http://buddingheroes.com, I'm shooting for a 19.95 price point for the kit

Ogdred Weary
Jul 1, 2007

A is for Amy who fell down the stairs
Martin Wallace! Rockets! Space! Only nine days!
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/phalanxgames/rocketmen

Looks pretty good actually, and pretty cheap if don't want shiny baubles

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

Ogdred Weary posted:

Martin Wallace! Rockets! Space! Only nine days!
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/phalanxgames/rocketmen

Looks pretty good actually, and pretty cheap if don't want shiny baubles

This is extremely my poo poo, the only question is how much pain my bank account can take right now.

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

JazzFlight posted:

MAGA Country

Why do these political Monopoly knock-offs always look the same every single time?

It’s especially sad because there are a lot of cool things you could do with a well-designed political game, even if it highly skews one way. For example, the game I’m most excited for this year even more than Tainted Grail and Etherfields is Shasn:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/zainmemon/shasn-the-political-strategy-board-game-break-ks

Gorgeously designed and looks mechanically good as well. It is even from very politically opinionated developers and has campaigns based on the 2020 US and India elections as well as Brexit.

There’s a market for political games and it is sad there are so few actual options.

Saltpowered fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Jan 27, 2020

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

That game looks real dumb and real bad but hey, if you can grift the grifters, more power to ya.

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...
Any more detailed opinions on that? It does look interesting and "dumb and bad" is not exactly a persuasive argument on its own.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Bistromatic posted:

Any more detailed opinions on that? It does look interesting and "dumb and bad" is not exactly a persuasive argument on its own.

I was referring to MAGA Country and mostly that it’s a lazy, insensitive re-skin of Monopoly with incredibly cheap looking art that seems to cost an arm-and-a-leg if you want pieces that aren’t low quality.

It’s a joke project that’s basically just being peddled to the type of people that will buy anything MAGA branded.

SHASN on the other hand looks awesome.

iceyman
Jul 11, 2001

I am convinced that MAGA Country and other similar failed Kickstarters are just The Producers strategy tax write-off schemes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...

sportsgenius86 posted:

I was referring to MAGA Country and mostly that it’s a lazy, insensitive re-skin of Monopoly with incredibly cheap looking art that seems to cost an arm-and-a-leg if you want pieces that aren’t low quality.

It’s a joke project that’s basically just being peddled to the type of people that will buy anything MAGA branded.

SHASN on the other hand looks awesome.

oh okay, in that case "dumb and bad" is perfectly sufficient.