Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
It doesn't surprise me too much. De Leon probably has lots of friends in the ranks of the CA Democratic Party.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Yeah but OTOH Feinstein is super entrenched and is part of the shadow council the de facto rules the DNC at this point so for her to lose the nod is pretty big imo.

Still a snowball's chance in hell that De Leon can actually beat her, but I'm holding out hope.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
Holy hell, Feinstein must have pissed off everyone

https://twitter.com/CA_Dem/status/1018336076023324672

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Holy poo poo :chanpop:

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
And my parents looked at me like I was crazy when I told them I was planning to volunteer for De Leon's campaign

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

The Glumslinger posted:

https://twitter.com/DavidOAtkins/status/1018331933321789440

The CA democratic party endorsed De Leon over Feinstein for Senate :eyepop:

Yesssssssss.

Guess that's one positive thing to come out of the whole garbage primary system. De Leon never would've gotten this far if it'd been a straight party primary.

Vincent Van Goatse fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Jul 15, 2018

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

The Glumslinger posted:

no but it is equally funny

https://www.mercurynews.com/2018/07/14/feinstein-de-leon-california-democratic-party-endorsement-executive-board-oakland/

quote:

De León, a state senator from Los Angeles and the former leader of the State Senate, won 65 percent of the 333 delegates, according to the party. Feinstein netted seven percent after urging her supporters to choose no endorsement “in the name of party unity.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Oh that's beautiful.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

The Glumslinger posted:

Her and her husbands lifetime of crime is better known now. Maybe theres some "everyone step away from the pariah" going on.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

She would have lost even if the no pref voters voted for her instead. Feinstein is a dinosaur, it's time she was put in a museum.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

The Glumslinger posted:

And my parents looked at me like I was crazy when I told them I was planning to volunteer for De Leon's campaign
really though we all should pound the pavement

Morbus
May 18, 2004

Sydin posted:

Yeah but OTOH Feinstein is super entrenched and is part of the shadow council the de facto rules the DNC at this point so for her to lose the nod is pretty big imo.

Still a snowball's chance in hell that De Leon can actually beat her, but I'm holding out hope.

She's 85 years old, actuarial tables give him at least a ~5% chance regardless of politics

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

eat poo poo feinstein

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Shear Modulus posted:

eat poo poo feinstein

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Shear Modulus posted:

eat poo poo feinstein

:emptyquote:

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

Shear Modulus posted:

eat poo poo feinstein

needs to be a slogan for a bunch of statewide ads. they should run for eternity.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Shear Modulus posted:

eat poo poo feinstein

Bastard Tetris
Apr 27, 2005

L-Shaped

Nap Ghost

Cicero posted:

What's cannabis-adjacent? Hemp clothing?

Analytical chemistry, testing requirements for pesticides and poo poo

edit: eat poo poo feinstein

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

Cool news hopefully it matters enough for November.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Does anyone have any name recognition polls for DeLeon? It seems like a lot of the times the left wing primary challengers are much less well known than the incumbent, but maybe a State Senate Majority Leader won't have to deal with that problem.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

Shear Modulus posted:

eat poo poo feinstein

California Politics Thread: eat poo poo feinstein

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Lmao RIP Feinstein

go cry on ur confederate flag

The Glumslinger posted:

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

Shear Modulus posted:

eat poo poo feinstein

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Morbus posted:

She's 85 years old, actuarial tables give him at least a ~5% chance regardless of politics

rich people get better health care though

Also she's going to win because the republicans will all vote for her too.

Morbus
May 18, 2004

If the primary is anything to go by most democrats will vote for her, but we can still hope...

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Shear Modulus posted:

eat poo poo feinstein

shockingly that's the first new thread title in 4 years.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
I’m struggling to remember what happened in 2014 other than brown getting re-elected

FUCK SNEEP
Apr 21, 2007

Party Plane Jones posted:

shockingly that's the first new thread title in 4 years.

And hopefully we can change it after November :tipshat:

eat poo poo feinstein

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Morbus posted:

If the primary is anything to go by

It isn't. Primary voters are the most politically engaged. General election voters are very different.

I'm not saying DeLeon has no chance, but... the vast majority of not very engaged California voters are going to tick the box of the incumbent democratic senator whose name they've known for decades. Overcoming that is going to be hugely difficult, especially since Feinstein is not just well-known, she's rich and has lots of funding.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Also my guess is a fair number of republicans vote for Feinstein to own the libs

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
otoh feinstein has been the face of gun control legislation for decades, some repubs might vote against her for that

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Tarezax posted:

otoh feinstein has been the face of gun control legislation for decades, some repubs might vote against her for that

Do you think they are gonna look at DeLeon and go "ah yes, this fellow will defend my gun rights"? It's more likely they'll decline to vote for either.

Morbus
May 18, 2004

Leperflesh posted:

It isn't. Primary voters are the most politically engaged. General election voters are very different.

I'm not saying DeLeon has no chance, but... the vast majority of not very engaged California voters are going to tick the box of the incumbent democratic senator whose name they've known for decades. Overcoming that is going to be hugely difficult, especially since Feinstein is not just well-known, she's rich and has lots of funding.

My point is even the vast majority of supposedly "engaged" primary voters who are less affected by simple incumbent advantage went for Feinstein, so the default assumption, irrespective of party endorsement, is that she is the likely winner in November.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008
The jungle primary system makes it hard to guess where things will go in the general. How many of Feinstein's primary votes were just people choosing the safe choice, and how many of those were genuine enthusiasm? It's sorta the opposite of what you'd expect from a regular primary system.

Morbus
May 18, 2004

ponzicar posted:

The jungle primary system makes it hard to guess where things will go in the general. How many of Feinstein's primary votes were just people choosing the safe choice, and how many of those were genuine enthusiasm? It's sorta the opposite of what you'd expect from a regular primary system.

Any primary voter informed enough to vote even semi-tactically (i.e. voting for a "safe choice" instead of their preferred candidate) would have known that Feinstein on the ballot was a completely forgone conclusion and would have absolutely voted for de Leon if he was their preferred candidate. There was no R candidate for the seat with any hope of getting anywhere remotely close to even 25% of the vote, so there was a 0% chance of splitting the Dem vote to the point where ending up with two republicans on the ballot was a possibility (this was obviously not the case for other races in some districts, where "safe bet" D votes were a thing).

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

That's basically what I did when I ticked the boxes for DeLeon and John Chiang.

As an aside, Riverside County still has no records of my wife or mine's ballots.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Hopeful that the sc will strike down ca's bullshit gun laws.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Yeah the laws are all bullshit. We need prohibition instead.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

CopperHound posted:

Yeah the laws are all bullshit. We need prohibition instead.

Yeah of alcohol make room for avocado farms in plce of those drat wineties

E: and weed farms. Prohibit alcohol is a 10/10

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011
Does the jungle primary ever lead to republicans getting elected from vote splitting?