Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Good Lord Fisher! posted:

Two-handers own for almost every purpose imaginable. Spin to win, baby

Stasis+ together with spin2win is probably the way to deal the highest dps possible in this game.

Two-handers are also great for cheesing enemies 1-on-1, it's just a bit tricky. The second swing will knock them back, so what you do is do a running attack, knockback, run after them, running attack, rinse repeat. They never get the chance to attack you.

The best weapons in this game are spears though, they're criminally underrated :colbert: Everyone just looks at the damage stat and goes "my sword does more damage :geno:" but what they don't take into account is the crazy reach you get and the attack speed (which is the fastest of all weapons). With a good spear you're untouchable, it's like playing easy mode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Cojawfee posted:

Does anyone else not like two handed weapons? They are nice if the one hit you can get in will kill whatever you're fighting. If it takes more than 1-2 hits, you're going to get hit back. They are just too slow to do anything. Unless I cheese stasis or ice or something, I can't hit a lizalfos with a two handed weapon. By the time Link starts swinging, the lizalfos has already jumped away. A moblin is going to hit me by the time I can get a second swing in. Even with stasis, the weapons swing so slowly I can only get a couple hits in because whatever monster it is gets punted across the field/room. I much prefer the spears and one handed swords.
I have a love/Hate relationship with two handed weapons. Anything with a tendency to constantly do sick dodges (or will interrupt your rear end due to never staggering) you might as well throw it in the garbage without relying on stuff that lets you get free hits in. But if not, they loving rule.

Most notabbly, if it's an enemy that will let you go nuts on them with the spin to win. Sneaking up on a sleeping Hinox and snacking on your favorite offense buff will let you kill Blue Hionx with a reasonable weapon like a knight claymore so fast, the music only starts to kick in while they are exploding. Or leave a Black Hinox just shy of death anyway. Im sure ones with double metal leg armor could put a cramp in this plan, but still.

But a lot of the time, their just plain slow attack speed leaves me wishing for a one hander. They are great if you have some gimmicks that let you get their full potential out, like enemies who won't dodge away from you knocking their shields aside. Or will get sent sprawling on the second hit without dodging at the last second (loving lizard people :argh:). But if it's something that will tank the hits well, and won't let you safely spin to win spam them? Might as well switch to a one hander even if it's a bit weaker, just for swing speed. (When it comes to normal, non flurry/non QTE attack spam).

Your Computer posted:

The best weapons in this game are spears though, they're criminally underrated :colbert: Everyone just looks at the damage stat and goes "my sword does more damage :geno:" but what they don't take into account is the crazy reach you get and the attack speed (which is the fastest of all weapons). With a good spear you're untouchable, it's like playing easy mode.

The reason I hardly ever have a spear on me, is because any time I get my hands on the average spear it's used nonstop until there is no more spear :v: I am convinced the reason "Enhanced" Lizalfos spears have such low damage and durability compared to their other high end gear, is they know what will happen if I got my hands on one. I'm already taking every chance I get to kill lizard people by throwing their own boomerang blades at them as it is.

Kite Pride Worldwide posted:

Are there any indestructible items or weapons? I imagine the Master Sword is, but anything else?
On this subject, how come I hear people constantly talking about the Zora and Rito repairable gear, but I never hear any mention of the versions from the Gerudo. The materials are even slightly more convenient.

I can understand why I don't hear it brought up when it comes to shields. Because it's hard being second best. But I like the other thing I just got, and my windfall of three royal broadswords in rapid succession a while back has depleted itself.

Wishlisting, it would be nice if we could cash in diamonds or something to turn normal weapons into the "Durable" prefix. I miss my hard working Durable Soldier's bow sticking around as I blew through golden sniper bows and more fancy pants quick shot knights bows, etc.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 09:23 on Mar 18, 2017

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
One of the best things you can do is is equip a two-hander with max stamina and spend an entire fight spinning around like a maniac.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
How do you guys handle small fry that you could take on but don't want to waste your weapons on? Bombs take too long on some enemies, and they don't drop good enough weapons to justify using even just a soldier's broadsword on them.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Argue posted:

How do you guys handle small fry that you could take on but don't want to waste your weapons on? Bombs take too long on some enemies, and they don't drop good enough weapons to justify using even just a soldier's broadsword on them.

I use royal swords to chop down trees so I don't feel qualified to answer here

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Lemming posted:

I use royal swords to chop down trees so I don't feel qualified to answer here

My preferred method of lumberjacking is with the master sword

I also use it as a pickaxe

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I mean.. does the game ever make you fight small fry?

I don't run into a lot of them since my main mode of transport is mountain climbing (and gliding), and when I see a camp in the way I usually find the nearest tall structure and just glide past them instead of fighting them :v: Combat is surprisingly optional in this game.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Did anyone actually bother to upgrade their shield or bow capacity before maxing out weapons? I never did and I never felt like I didn't have enough shields or bows.

Edit: Come to think of it I used shields so seldomly I only ever broke one once when trying out parrying guardian beams.

Republicans fucked around with this message at 09:55 on Mar 18, 2017

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Republicans posted:

Edit: Come to think of it I used shields so seldomly I only ever broke one once when trying out parrying guardian beams.

Yeah, same.

Which is weird, because shields are incredibly powerful in this game. No matter how ridiculous the attack (like giant death lasers) it will always block the full attack. Of course, dodging and parrying is perhaps even more powerful so I end up just never using my shield and I've never seen anyone else use theirs either. It's just another fashion accessory to me :v:

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Republicans posted:

Did anyone actually bother to upgrade their shield or bow capacity before maxing out weapons? I never did and I never felt like I didn't have enough shields or bows.

I'm hardly at max weapons, but I did kind of stagger my supply so I wasn't so cramped. Four shields is basically nothing, so I made sure I had 5 shields after my first couple weapon upgrades. Then I splurged on six Shields/Bows once I had filled in my weapon slots a few times at Hestu's second location. Once I got a nice rounded out 15 weapon slots, and more would cost like 25 seeds or something, I took a break to bump up my bows and shields again to eight and eight. Which seems like a nice comfortable number to last me ages as I begin to wonder how I'm ever going to find enough seeds for my 17th weapon slot without a wiki.

The desire for more shields goes up when you are not mister perfect "Oh, I NEVER botch a parry :smug:" and start taking the fight to Guardians more often, but also want a couple wood shields on hand for thunderstorms. I suppose not having the Hylean shield yet also skews my opinions :v: So yes, my shield supply often goes from "I've got four pristine knight shields! Everything will be fine!" to blowing through half my shields in quick succession and being glad I had the spares.

Once specialty bows started ending up more common, I wanted more space to keep my fancy sniper zoom bows handy alongside the normal bows, and tipple shot bow for special "Oh gently caress :stonk:" occasions.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

I guess I'm just boring because my plan of action is to run up things and hit them until they die. If they get saucy i hit them with stasis. Shields just seem unnecessary and bows always last a good while so five is more than enough. I finished the game with five five-shot savage lynel bows.

Lets Pickle
Jul 9, 2007

Tonight I made it to the Labyrinth Island, which was just as awesome as the first Labyrinth, and filled with a shitload of treasure:

A Great Flameblade up a side passage covered in thorns on the stairs up to the shrine
All 6 pillars in the main room are hollow, and 2 have chests inside with Bomb arrows and 100 rupees
There's a goddamn Diamond Circlet in the basement. I won't tell you how to get down there but it's one of the creepier, cooler places I've been so far

Lets Pickle
Jul 9, 2007

Wildtortilla posted:

The hardest thing about guardians is locking onto them. I'd say my game has a fifty fiftychance of locking onto a guardian. I have never locked onto a flying guardian. I'm getting sick of being blasted into oblivion without being able to parry these beams.

You don't have to be locked on to parry the beams. I've found it easier to put the camera at an angle so I can see the beam moving horizontally instead of directly towards you. It's much easier for judging distance.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Ancient Cores - where ?

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:
I do enjoy this game but good lord who thought it would be a good idea to give Zelda a fake English accent, its just flat out bad, everyone else sounds fine compared however, aside from this my only other complaint is the final boss being lame, not Calamity Ganon but his final form, its just a let down.

Game's otherwise been pretty fun aside from these 2 mortal sins.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

well why not posted:

Ancient Cores - where ?

What else is ancient in the Hyrule?

You're going Guardian hunting. Also there's a couple shrines that have it in a chest.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Locke Dunnegan posted:

The windows are vastly different from enemy to enemy. For Bokoblins you can do it seemingly anywhere in their attack animations, but for things like Lynels or Lizalfos I'm finding that I need to basically dodge extremely close to being hit to get it to trigger. Lynels have the additional issue where if they do the charge sweeping attack that requires a backflip, the camera pans to the side to let the Lynel pass, so pushing Down + B causes a side jump instead of a backflip due to the quick camera jerk and I get hit. I need to check the options to see if they have a setting for absolute directional control instead of relational control like in Monster Hunter, because as it is I'm doing what the game wants me to do to be rewarded and I'm being punished instead. I don't quite understand why the game wouldn't have 'Down + B' always do a backflip regardless of facing when you are locked on, as you then have no control of the camera changing the camera's orientation compared to Link's facing in close quarters. It seems like an oversight.

Yeah, the camera controls can be arse, especially the fixed camera distance when you're trying to face something or look at something and a sail or whatever decides to stick itself between your POV and it.

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

1. Are there any elemental weapons I should be saving or anything or always have on hand? I guess or course a ice/fire one to equip for associated climates. I know you can get more

2. So ancient parts are just for the armor? Is that worth grinding out? I'm not going to bother upgrading all the armor but I figure I should at least upgrade the climbing set to level 2

3. So on fairy shrines do they each upgrade different armor or is two diff fairy shrines just going to get you up one level each or what. Kind or confused on this part

4. As someone who's fairly casual how many hearts should I have before I plan on finishing the game etc. I'm not one to get every shrine etc

5. The gently caress can't I teleport straight into my house

1. Elemental weapons are always fun, never essential. Shock arrows in the rain are especially fun.

2. Ancient parts upgrade the Slate and the ancient gear, no other armour that I remember. You definitely want the Slate upgrades at least.

3. Any fairy can upgrade armour to any level given the correct parts, depending on how many of them you've unlocked. One can boost armour one step, once 2 are unlocked either of them can boost armour to 2-star etc.

4. You'll need 13 hearts for plot reasons.

5. Exercise is good for you! :v:

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Oh dear, I've been living and breathing this game since it came out and it has absolutely destroyed my ability to play other games :v:

I booted up Dark Souls 3 to see if I had any saves that would be good for the DLC that's coming out for it, and I couldn't remember how to play at all even though I've put hundreds and hundreds of hours into DS. My mind is just in BotW mode.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Your Computer posted:

Oh dear, I've been living and breathing this game since it came out and it has absolutely destroyed my ability to play other games :v:

I booted up Dark Souls 3 to see if I had any saves that would be good for the DLC that's coming out for it, and I couldn't remember how to play at all even though I've put hundreds and hundreds of hours into DS. My mind is just in BotW mode.

hahaha im gonna do this too and that makes me nervous

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Your Computer posted:

Cons: Can't climb anything but ladders.
Pros: Easier for me to dodge consistently in Darksouls than Zelda, apparently :shepface:

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012

Cojawfee posted:

Does anyone else not like two handed weapons? They are nice if the one hit you can get in will kill whatever you're fighting. If it takes more than 1-2 hits, you're going to get hit back. They are just too slow to do anything. Unless I cheese stasis or ice or something, I can't hit a lizalfos with a two handed weapon. By the time Link starts swinging, the lizalfos has already jumped away. A moblin is going to hit me by the time I can get a second swing in. Even with stasis, the weapons swing so slowly I can only get a couple hits in because whatever monster it is gets punted across the field/room. I much prefer the spears and one handed swords.

The two-hander charge attack absolutely lays waste to everything once you get it going. Spinning + Max Stamina = a slow, steady whirlwind of death for all.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge

cheetah7071 posted:

My preferred method of lumberjacking is with the master sword

I also use it as a pickaxe

You are literally murdering Fi you prick!

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Orange Crush Rush posted:

You are literally murdering Fi you prick!

You've convinced me to start using my Master Sword as a pickaxe, thanks!

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L
gently caress hetsu, gently caress his maracas, gently caress these seeds.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

alf_pogs posted:

hahaha im gonna do this too and that makes me nervous

Yeah, my dilemma is now whether to put down BotW for a bit and re-learn Dark Souls and play the DLC, then finish BotW after... or just ignore DS3 and play BotW forever and never play another video game ever again. Because it's the best video game.

It will still take me a while to finish BotW though, I'm trying not to rush it so I still have only done two of the divine beasts... argh, choices! :arghfist::(

Dizz posted:

:wrong:

Vookatos
May 2, 2013

well why not posted:

Ancient Cores - where ?
If you need a small amount, some shrine chests have them.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

huh so apparently hestu gives you a turd at 900 koroks and now ive realised all the korok seeds actually look like little poos. "a distinctive smell"

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

I never got a chance to take a picture of Waterblight Ganon, and the numbers don't add up on the random picture shop. Is there a NG+ or some way to get another picture or am I just hosed on completing the compendium?

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!
So uh do your best not to draw a Bomb Arrow when you're hanging around the dangerous parts of Death Mountain. If you stop and think about it for one second you can see why it's a bad idea. I didn't stop and think about it.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Crimson Harvest posted:

So uh do your best not to draw a Bomb Arrow when you're hanging around the dangerous parts of Death Mountain. If you stop and think about it for one second you can see why it's a bad idea. I didn't stop and think about it.

appallingly, the first time i did this i didnt realise what had happened and immediately did it again

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum

Dizz posted:

:captainpop:

Those are fighting words, mister

grilldos
Mar 27, 2004

BUST A LOAF
IN THIS
YEAST CONFECTION
Grimey Drawer

Section Z posted:

"Okay Link, I've hosed up again because I guess there's one guy in a blind spot I never check, and now I've got two huge assholes after me. I can beat one of them fair and square, but two of them is probably going to end me. What to do..."

On realization of 70+ bomb arrows I refuse to use and a dust collecting Tri-bow pulled out later...

"Ah yes. the Ryu Hayabusa school of ninjitsu."

Pretty bullshit that they didn't drop their cool looking swords though. Fortunately that run, I was experimenting with if arrow headshots can be used for stealth kills (They can't :v:), and the one in the first room dropped it.

Do... do you talk to your player-character as if he's an entity you're possessing to offer apology and explain your actions?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Sometimes I get mad at Link when he, for example, tries to climb as I try to run away from something but accidentally brush a wall. He just grabs on and I go, "Link, no, let go, what are you doing"

Unrelated edit: Please bring back the grappling hook in the next Zelda. Yeah, we're not in the year of the grappling hook anymore, but Breath of the Wild did such great things to a lot of the usual open world design tropes and I'd love to see that amount of freedom and flexibility applied to a grappling hook. Wanna swing everywhere, and also glide and climb

Harrow fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Mar 18, 2017

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L

Shut up!

Ignimbrite posted:

:captainpop:

Those are fighting words, mister

They're murdering words. I'm already burned out on putting balls in holes, rocks in pattern formations, rocks in rock circles, shooting balloons, lifting rocks.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

I'm doing all the Kass quests, and it seems I've done them all except for one which I found on my own without ever talking to him. Because I never triggered that Shrine Quest, does the last part of his quest never activate?

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

mabels big day posted:

I'm doing all the Kass quests, and it seems I've done them all except for one which I found on my own without ever talking to him. Because I never triggered that Shrine Quest, does the last part of his quest never activate?

You need to do Divine Beast Medoh and then do an annoying sidequest involving bird children and singing first

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Dizz posted:

They're murdering words. I'm already burned out on putting balls in holes, rocks in pattern formations, rocks in rock circles, shooting balloons, lifting rocks.

Unless you're going for 100% completion, there's no need to bounce around doing every single korok puzzle you can find. I've only found 60 so far and I feel pretty comfortable with my inventory size (and for reference, I've found 90 shrines and also completed the main story by now, so I missed a ton of koroks).

If you are going for 100% completion, godspeed and I hope you have a lot of booze

mabels big day posted:

Is he back at the Rito village, right near the shrine? If not, double-check and make sure you've done all his quests, including the one non-shrine one and the shrine quest with the five singing bird girls in the Rito village. I think you also need to read his diary, right above the blood moon shrine. If still not, then that would be a really annoying quirk to his quest and I would be very sad.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

spit on my clit posted:

You need to do Divine Beast Medoh and then do an annoying sidequest involving bird children and singing first

OH, that one. yeah i got all the bird kids together but i couldn't figure out what the game wanted me to do with them at the spot with them.

Alard
Sep 4, 2011

mabels big day posted:

If you didn't get the shrine quest he'll still be around that around that area playing. So you just need to find and talk to him to auto-complete the quest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

mabels big day posted:

OH, that one. yeah i got all the bird kids together but i couldn't figure out what the game wanted me to do with them at the spot with them.

Yeah, I had to look that one up since I couldn't find any ingame clues.

You need to use a Korok Leaf