Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Doobie Keebler
May 9, 2005

I worded that bit weird but yeah I thought that Mel predicted a win for him and he lost. I forgot that he left her behind too. As far as the fetuses or burning a random nobody, what good is an offering to a god if it means nothing to you?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

I'm glad that folks in this thread are apparently under the impression that small bands of fighters have never meaningfully attacked large armies. :allears:

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

A Major Fucker posted:

this soudns awesome

Yeah

Midnight City
Jun 3, 2013

A 10% levy on BAKED GOODS?!

Thread has turned into the virtual daznak pit, goon turning upon goon with barbed tongues and sarcasm in their pockets

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

FooF posted:

It's not like we've never seen this trope before:
It's also Agamemnon/Iphigenia in Aulis.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

^^^^It's also Azor Ahai, the very hero Stannis is meant to embody.

Scrree posted:

The poo poo thing about Stannis burning Shireen is that while it does make sense for the scenario he's in, the scenario he's in is stupid and obviously written just to force his hand. He's in deep winter despite leaving the Wall in a timely manner, and the snows which blockade his men are easily overcome by Ramsey and his band of twenty ninja pryomancers.

It's not nonsense, but it's unsubtle and blunt - which seems to be the only way W + B know how to write.

Moving an army with siege equipment is harder than moving twenty men familiar with the terrain and hand-picked for a difficult job. Winter's been coming for something like a trillion years, that there's a blizzard now is not completely unreasonable. You're right that it was something of a "perfect storm" set up to give Stannis this desperate choice, but that's not ham-fisted writing - that's just writing. Was what went down in King's Landing with Ned ham-handed, because if Robert had started feeling queasy he'd go home from the hunt early? Or the Twins ham-handed because Robb didn't decide something was off when Grey Wind started barking and sends his men in to check things out?

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

Scrree posted:

The poo poo thing about Stannis burning Shireen is that while it does make sense for the scenario he's in, the scenario he's in is stupid and obviously written just to force his hand. He's in deep winter despite leaving the Wall in a timely manner, and the snows which blockade his men are easily overcome by Ramsey and his band of twenty ninja pryomancers.

It's not nonsense, but it's unsubtle and blunt - which seems to be the only way W + B know how to write.

Yeah

sudo rm -rf
Aug 2, 2011

$ mv fullcommunism.sh
/america
$ cd /america
$ ./fullcommunism.sh

Hey so what did Bronn have to do to become free? My dad walked in during that scene and started talking to me.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

rope kid posted:

It's also Agamemnon/Iphigenia in Aulis.

It's a convention of tragedy that is literally as old as fiction itself.

Midnight City
Jun 3, 2013

sudo rm -rf posted:

Hey so what did Bronn have to do to become free? My dad walked in during that scene and started talking to me.

Got punched in the face by Areo

Correction, elbowed in the face

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from

Doobie Keebler posted:

I worded that bit weird but yeah I thought that Mel predicted a win for him and he lost. I forgot that he left her behind too. As far as the fetuses or burning a random nobody, what good is an offering to a god if it means nothing to you?

Gendry seemed to do a lot.

Well, Two outta three ain't bad anyways.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

sudo rm -rf posted:

Have the same thing he did to the prince done to him.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

dik-dik posted:

I'm glad that folks in this thread are apparently under the impression that small bands of fighters have never meaningfully attacked large armies. :allears:

It's also happened several times in Game of Thrones itself.

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

A raccoon is not finished when he is defeated. He is finished when he quits.

sudo rm -rf posted:

The prince's bodyguard backhands him in the face

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

The true heroes

:swoon: oh captain my captain :swoon:

Kusagari
Oct 13, 2012
Is there anything Ramsay can't do?

Just make the fucker king at this point.

He probably did the raid without a shirt on to make himself even more badass.

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

People are right that it's somewhat believable, and at least they addressed it with the "The guards must have fallen asleep or betrayed us", but still- the fact that a spy was able to get in and set the tent on fire and get out unscathed is pretty loving fantastical and the fact that they kept it offscreen is pretty silly.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Scrree posted:

It's not about whether or not there's logic behind it. It's the fact there are overwhelming reasons to hate almost everyone except the Starks at this point and they aren't on enough to really hang on to. The show is becoming about Lucy pulling the football away even more-so than GRRM does it and it's getting old when they try to shove the joke into every episode.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Dolash posted:

Moving an army with siege equipment is harder than moving twenty men familiar with the terrain and hand-picked for a difficult job. Winter's been coming for something like a trillion years, that there's a blizzard now is not completely unreasonable. You're right that it was something of a "perfect storm" set up to give Stannis this desperate choice, but that's not ham-fisted writing - that's just writing. Was what went down in King's Landing with Ned ham-handed, because if Robert had started feeling queasy he'd go home from the hunt early? Or the Twins ham-handed because Robb didn't decide something was off when Grey Wind started barking and sends his men in to check things out?

It gets a little far-fetched when every time something is going to go right for the "good" guys or something is going to go wrong for the "bad" guys everything lines up into place so it doesn't go down.

There's also the problem of advertising the season as "the North remembers" and cutting out the two main plotlines that have the North getting any kind of revenge and then not making up for it in any way.

zoux posted:

It's also happened several times in Game of Thrones itself.

You used an incorrect example in this very thread.

Midnight City
Jun 3, 2013

a cop posted:

People are right that it's somewhat believable, and at least they addressed it with the "The guards must have fallen asleep or betrayed us", but still- the fact that a spy was able to get in and set the tent on fire and get out unscathed is pretty loving fantastical and the fact that they kept it offscreen is pretty silly.

They didn't even just destroy the food, they didn't even just destroy the siege weapons, they didn't even just kill hundreds of men

They did all 3. Without a single casualty.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

Doobie Keebler posted:

She gets the right vision but she misinterprets it. Stannis is motivated to kill his brother partly because Mel predicts that Renly will defeat him.

quote:

Melisandre saw another day in her flames as well. A morrow where Renly rode out of the south in his green armor to smash my host beneath the walls of King's Landing. Had I met my brother there, it might have been me who died in place with him.

Where she's actually seeing Garlan Tyrell in Renly's armour.

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

tadashi posted:

It's not about whether or not there's logic behind it. It's the fact there are overwhelming reasons to hate almost everyone except the Starks at this point and they aren't on enough to really hang on to. The show is becoming about Lucy pulling the football away even more-so than GRRM does it and it's getting old when they try to shove the joke into every episode.

Tyrion did nothing wrong!

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib

tadashi posted:

even more-so than GRRM does it
At least let him finish the books, geez

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Midnight City posted:

They didn't even just destroy the food, they didn't even just destroy the siege weapons, they didn't even just kill hundreds of men

Yeah I can't believe someone had an issue with me using it as an example of Ramsay Bolton's bullshit invincible magic. Mutherfucker got that IDDQD going.

null
Feb 19, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
So now people hate both GRRM as a writer, and the show writers. Time to hand the book and show writing off to goons?

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Instead of a tre-eight slug to yo' cranium/
I got six and I'm aimin' 'em/
Will I bust or keep you guessin'

Midnight City posted:

*in dolash's voice* you're an idiot if you don't think 20 men can wreck an army of thousands while theyre sleeping

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

I mean truly- imagine the circumstance in which a tent full of food catches fire amidst a war camp without anyone to defend it. There's no way it'd burn more than like 10% of the food before people started hauling boxes out, IF that. You could probably just kick the tent over and most of it would burn itself out in the snow.

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
Team White Walkers - Still Undefeated

Ekusukariba
Oct 11, 2012

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

null posted:

So now people hate both GRRM as a writer, and the show writers. Time to hand the book and show writing off to goons?

I vaguely remember the Bad Thread collectively writing an erotic novel together. I think people bought it for actual money.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.
GRRM needs twenty good men to help him finish the books.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Why isnt Stannis squirtin his king seed into tons of whores for a nonstop supply of sacrifices?

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

zVxTeflon posted:

Why isnt Stannis squirtin his king seed into tons of whores for a nonstop supply of sacrifices?

The same reason they haven't sent a single ship to retrieve The Fetuses of Dragonstone

FourLeaf
Dec 2, 2011

dik-dik posted:

Why not both? It's not like they're running out of fire or anything. I mean, you can bitch and moan all you want, but at the end of the day the fat man wanted to burn the little girl and burn she did.

...because she's his daughter and his only heir? So you'd think he'd be trying to avoid burning her as long as possible rather than shrugging like WHAT THE HELL, THROW HER ON PYRE TOO

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

El Hefe posted:

*in dolash's voice* you're an idiot if you don't think 20 men can wreck an army of thousands while theyre sleeping

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Okehazama

The ratios are only off by several orders of magnitude! *cough*

Doobie Keebler
May 9, 2005

Arrrthritis posted:

Gendry seemed to do a lot.

Well, Two outta three ain't bad anyways.

Damnit! I'm so close to justifying this to myself. Ok well maybe they only needed a small offering to kill the three "kings". Robb was probably going to die in battle anyway. Joffrey was a constant rear end in a top hat and was going to be killed by someone eventually. And Balon is old and likes to walk on rickety bridges. Or maybe his leech didn't work. There.

null
Feb 19, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

In It For The Tank posted:

GRRM needs twenty good men to help him finish the books.

lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5eoHTyICp3g

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Theon is a perennial fuckup and he still managed to take Winterfell with just a handful of men. Jorah's team cut through a small mountain of mooks to take that critical gate in Mereen. Brienne and Catelyn escape Renly's tent from the moment he's murdered despite being the prime suspects. The show and the books are both full of long odds, maybe people are tired of Ramsay's winning streak but if it's any comfort it's probably not going to last much longer.

Doobie Keebler posted:

Damnit! I'm so close to justifying this to myself. Ok well maybe they only needed a small offering to kill the three "kings". Robb was probably going to die in battle anyway. Joffrey was a constant rear end in a top hat and was going to be killed by someone eventually. And Balon is old and likes to walk on rickety bridges. Or maybe his leech didn't work. There.

In the books (and presumably in the show) Melisandre had already seen the kings' deaths in the fire and did the leech thing as pure trickery to convince Stannis that it worked, because she believed burning (Edric Storm/Gendry) actually would work some kind of magic. Admittedly they muddled it in the show where they didn't kill Balon but it's part of what convinced Stannis Melisandre could actually do something with a burned offering of King's Blood.

Dolash fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Jun 8, 2015

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

Midnight City posted:

they didn't even just kill hundreds of men
My understanding was that they killed hundreds of horses.

Speaking of which, where do you find a stunt horse to light on fire

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

FourLeaf posted:

...because she's his daughter and his only heir? So you'd think he'd be trying to avoid burning her as long as possible rather than shrugging like WHAT THE HELL, THROW HER ON PYRE TOO

He doesnt think of her as an heir.

• Locked thread