Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Yeah it always bothered me that she could feel emotions via the view screen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I think it was Rick Berman in the 50 Year Mission book who admitted that they never really figured out how Troi's abilities worked, so it was all over the place from Encounter at Farpoint all the way to Nemesis.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

McSpanky posted:

That was the first thing I ever saw Gina Torres in and to this day I have a hard time taking her seriously in other roles. It's totally not her fault, Cleopatra 2525 was just that corny.

Gina Torres is a motherfucking GODDESS and you will respect her.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

FlamingLiberal posted:

I think it was Rick Berman in the 50 Year Mission book who admitted that they never really figured out how Troi's abilities worked, so it was all over the place from Encounter at Farpoint all the way to Nemesis.

Well, wasn't she originally conceived as having four breasts and being a sex-hound by Roddenberry? I seem to recall that she was recycled from the concept of Ilia that made Harold Livingston and Bob Wise go, "Wait, what? No, Gene. No. No."

Orv
May 4, 2011

Rhyno posted:

Gina Torres is a motherfucking GODDESS and you will respect her.

Look all I'm saying is she was in two really bad sci-fi series and she's the only link so maybe... ?

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Timby posted:

Well, wasn't she originally conceived as having four breasts and being a sex-hound by Roddenberry? I seem to recall that she was recycled from the concept of Ilia that made Harold Livingston and Bob Wise go, "Wait, what? No, Gene. No. No."

D.C. Fontana said she had to tell Gene "look, these drat things get in the way with just two of them, where the hell do you think you're going to put another two??"

Timby posted:

And yet in Nemesis, Troi basically plays Ouija with Worf's hand to find the Scimitar.

Christ, what an awful movie.

Thinking about that movie too much makes me angry. It's just so aggressively stupid at every turn.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
Also what's sad is, according to Sirtis, once they put her in the boobsuits they decided she had to be a bimbo. I guess it's not too surprising when they struggled to handle the cast they already had, but it's still terrible.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

Thinking about that movie too much makes me angry. It's just so aggressively stupid at every turn.

I know I bag on John Logan a lot, but, holy gently caress, Spiner had it written into his contract that Logan couldn't be rewrittten. gently caress's sake, at that point Logan's credits were a terrible TV movie about a bat invasion, one of the most bizarre movies Oliver Stone has ever made, a movie plagiarized from a documentary so blatantly that it just barely missed getting sued, a movie on which he was rewritten top-to-bottom at least twice ... and that's the guy you look at and say, "Yep, his work is what we're shooting, full-stop?"

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I did love in the book how Rick Berman still defends the movie and claims that the release date between two other giant films didn't hurt it at all. I mean I appreciate how much he contributed to this book, but my god he's in a lot of denial still.

It was also disappointing that the initial idea for Insurrection was going to be darker, but the studio wanted a lighter movie after First Contact so they didn't go with the original idea of something more like 'Heart of Darkness' with Star Trek mixed in. Anything would have been better than what we got.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Timby posted:

I know I bag on John Logan a lot, but, holy gently caress, Spiner had it written into his contract that Logan couldn't be rewrittten. gently caress's sake, at that point Logan's credits were a terrible TV movie about a bat invasion, one of the most bizarre movies Oliver Stone has ever made, a movie plagiarized from a documentary so blatantly that it just barely missed getting sued, a movie on which he was rewritten top-to-bottom at least twice ... and that's the guy you look at and say, "Yep, his work is what we're shooting, full-stop?"

I think the studio's got to share some blame there. What kind of moron says "yeah, okay, your buddy gets to write whatever he wants and we're contractually obligated to film it no matter what, sounds good to me"??

I mean, yeah, Data was a popular character, but christ...

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

No one quite realized yet that the era of "Star Trek is basically a license to print money" was already over.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

FlamingLiberal posted:

It was also disappointing that the initial idea for Insurrection was going to be darker, but the studio wanted a lighter movie after First Contact so they didn't go with the original idea of something more like 'Heart of Darkness' with Star Trek mixed in. Anything would have been better than what we got.

Insurrection was doomed the minute Stewart demanded and received an associate producer credit, and along with it a substantial amount of control over the script.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

lawl if they're still writing scripts for Discovery, since the WGA just voted to authorize a strike.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Timby posted:

lawl if they're still writing scripts for Discovery, since the WGA just voted to authorize a strike.

I don't know if I'd call it writing...

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
The studio will simply have machines spit out some scripts, and then they will film what the machines have written for them.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

I wonder if they still have any unused Phase II scripts

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Gonz posted:

The studio will simply have machines spit out some scripts, and then they will film what the machines have written for them.

Star Trek madlibs

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

I don't know if I'd call it writing...

This is another situation that's starting to become tradition. Second season of TNG had one and the Star Trek reboot movie.

skooma512 fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Mar 25, 2017

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

We are proud to announce that Star Trek Discovery will be the first television series to feature Bethesda's Radiant scripting technology.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

FuturePastNow posted:

I wonder if they still have any unused Phase II scripts

TNG only used two, so I think there's around a dozen left?

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

Delsaber posted:

We are proud to announce that Star Trek Discovery will be the first television series to feature Bethesda's Radiant scripting technology.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2YdWl8dFnVY&t=82s

Hope you rot, criminal scum.

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Help, I've turned into a manifestation of mental disorders as viewed through an early 20th century lens sparked by the disparity between man and modern society and I can't get up

skooma512 posted:

Star Trek madlibs

The ship is answering a distress call when they're interrupted by an alien species who impregnates falsely accuses one of them.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

In reality, a violent mutiny would have definitely happened on Voyager after the first 2 or 3 months in the Delta Quadrant.

The whole drat crew would have been individual Captain Ransoms.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Gonz posted:

In reality, a violent mutiny would have definitely happened on Voyager after the first 2 or 3 months in the Delta Quadrant.

The whole drat crew would have been individual Captain Ransoms.
It would have been more interesting if they'd explored the key characters' reactions to their situation here, because OK, Janeway is a psycho, you overthrow her. Now what? You're at least "a significant fraction of your lifetime" away from your homes and as a side note everyone near you is also the only members of your species outside of the holodeck.

What do you do?

Keep going? Try to find short cuts? Find a planet and disassemble Voyager to serve as the hub of a settlement? (The latter would probably be very feasible with Federation technology and would perhaps be very appealing to the Maquis!) Pull a Mirror Hoshi and use your phasers to install yourself as overlords on some lesser civilization?

Who's going to be top dog? Chakotay would have a constituency but would the Fleet guys be willing to follow him?

You also have more room to explore this poo poo because if you avoid getting into constant shooting fights with space aliens, Voyager's poo poo is sufficiently together to make it less of a question of immediate "lifeboat ethics."

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

Nessus posted:

It would have been more interesting if they'd explored the key characters' reactions to their situation here, because OK, Janeway is a psycho, you overthrow her. Now what? You're at least "a significant fraction of your lifetime" away from your homes and as a side note everyone near you is also the only members of your species outside of the holodeck.

What do you do?

Keep going? Try to find short cuts? Find a planet and disassemble Voyager to serve as the hub of a settlement? (The latter would probably be very feasible with Federation technology and would perhaps be very appealing to the Maquis!) Pull a Mirror Hoshi and use your phasers to install yourself as overlords on some lesser civilization?

Who's going to be top dog? Chakotay would have a constituency but would the Fleet guys be willing to follow him?

You also have more room to explore this poo poo because if you avoid getting into constant shooting fights with space aliens, Voyager's poo poo is sufficiently together to make it less of a question of immediate "lifeboat ethics."

Reminds me of BSG. Roslin and Adama butted heads like crazy in the first season or two, and then settled down into mutual respect and beyond.

That felt like it was earned, unlike them chickening out in the pilot and going "s'ok guys we're all amigos here from now on :D"

It wasn't even DS9's idea to have the Maquis, they put it in there just for Voyager's sake. Then almost as soon as Voyager begins they throw it away because lol no conflict on starships Gene Roddenberry said so. I mean, if those are the franchise rules then fine, but why set out to break that rule and involve two series in it, only to back down before the pilot is even over?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

skooma512 posted:

Reminds me of BSG. Roslin and Adama butted heads like crazy in the first season or two, and then settled down into mutual respect and beyond.

That felt like it was earned, unlike them chickening out in the pilot and going "s'ok guys we're all amigos here from now on :D"

It wasn't even DS9's idea to have the Maquis, they put it in there just for Voyager's sake. Then almost as soon as Voyager begins they throw it away because lol no conflict on starships Gene Roddenberry said so. I mean, if those are the franchise rules then fine, but why set out to break that rule and involve two series in it, only to back down before the pilot is even over?
I mean it even loving lends itself to an arc! Season 3 finale they land Voyager and try to make a stake on a new planet, and then S4 or S5 finale they have to relaunch it, possibly repaired with Thebraxian metagel or Simple Green or whatever. Have them build a massive subspace transmitter so Buckaroo Banzai's Radar Rangers hear them and get in touch with Starfleet, maybe have a hyperwarp ship show up for the big show finale.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

The maquis died on the way back to their home planet. All of them. They are all dead now. Do not ask about them.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Nessus posted:

What do you do?

Put everyone in cryostasis except a skeleton crew to run the ship in emergencies and repair poo poo. Run the engines at max safe speed 24/7. Every 3 years, slingshot around a star to throw your ship back in time 3 years. At that 3 year mark, rotate in another crew.

You can arrive in the Alpha Quadrant a few weeks or even days after you left, if you time it right, and the whole crew would have had to go through 2, maybe 3 sets of 3 year shifts, so 6-9 years subjective time. Since you can recrystalize dilithum, and you'll use a minimum of food, the only real problem would be parts breaking down or running into hostile aliens. If you set a course to avoid as many star systems as possible and stay in warp most of the time, you would probably be fine. If you do run into aliens, hide and then slingshot around a star when they aren't looking so they don't match your course and learn the secrets of time travel.

Boom.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Astroman posted:

Put everyone in cryostasis except a skeleton crew to run the ship in emergencies and repair poo poo. Run the engines at max safe speed 24/7. Every 3 years, slingshot around a star to throw your ship back in time 3 years. At that 3 year mark, rotate in another crew.

You can arrive in the Alpha Quadrant a few weeks or even days after you left, if you time it right, and the whole crew would have had to go through 2, maybe 3 sets of 3 year shifts, so 6-9 years subjective time. Since you can recrystalize dilithum, and you'll use a minimum of food, the only real problem would be parts breaking down or running into hostile aliens. If you set a course to avoid as many star systems as possible and stay in warp most of the time, you would probably be fine. If you do run into aliens, hide and then slingshot around a star when they aren't looking so they don't match your course and learn the secrets of time travel.

Boom.
It seems like this level of near-term time fuckery is going to create potential strange problems. What do you do if while you're warping on the outer side of the galactic rift you start being able to spot 'yourself' on the subspace telescope? What do you do if the only possible star for continuing this strategy is notable for the part where an unseen force causes your horrible destruction two weeks after slingshot emergence?

This could also be pretty good if definitely more "works better as novel than network TV."

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

skooma512 posted:

Star Trek madlibs

A malfunction of the ship's holodeck caused by alien spores they picked up on an away mission threatens to keep the crew from delivering medical supplies to an isolated colony world. Meanwhile, Data explores the concept of ennui.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Powered Descent posted:

Meanwhile, Data explores the concept of moé.

If only Lal had stuck around.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

A glowing orb tricks the crew into thinking it's cool, but is a dick to Data when they're alone. Riker's wife and son make a surprise visit.

Orv
May 4, 2011
A derelict ship turns out to be a blessing in disguise, teaching Worf about the meaning of jup. Guinan teaches a plant checkers.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

https://twitter.com/tng_s8?lang=en

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

An anomaly in Seven's of Nine's implants leads the crew to discover a Borg baby shower. Janeway decides to spend more time in an Irish village. Neelix finds offensive graffiti regarding his mother in the Delta Flyer

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

skooma512 posted:

An anomaly in Seven's of Nine's implants leads the crew to discover a Borg baby shower. Janeway decides to spend more time in an Irish village. Neelix finds offensive graffiti regarding his mother in the Delta Flyer

This sounds like an A+ episode.

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries
Just finished Voyager via the episode guide which means I only watched about 30% of the episodes, very much enjoyed it, far more so than DS9, which felt like it was for children.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

willie_dee posted:

Just finished Voyager via the episode guide which means I only watched about 30% of the episodes, very much enjoyed it, far more so than DS9, which felt like it was for children.

Get off my bridge.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Just gonna check the ol' Trek thre-

willie_dee posted:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

willie_dee posted:

:gb2gbs: