Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pim01
Oct 22, 2002

gret posted:

I really like those speaker stands. Anyone know where I can get something that looks like that?

They're from IKEA, but I haven't seen them there in a while and can't find them in their online catalogue - seems like they stopped carrying them :(.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

porksmash
Sep 30, 2008
The rest is under construction but I just got my Epik Knight in and it gave me a huge boner. I seriously underestimated the size of it (yeah, they have dimensions, but its all just numbers until you see it) but listening to some of the sub-20Hz sounds in Transformers made me not care at all. Feeling the sounds like that is something I had never experienced before. I love it more than words can describe. I feel like I've never properly seen a movie before. Best $600 I've ever spent hands down.

Click here for the full 849x646 image.

coolskillrex remix
Jan 1, 2007

gorsh

porksmash posted:

The rest is under construction but I just got my Epik Knight in and it gave me a huge boner. I seriously underestimated the size of it (yeah, they have dimensions, but its all just numbers until you see it) but listening to some of the sub-20Hz sounds in Transformers made me not care at all. Feeling the sounds like that is something I had never experienced before. I love it more than words can describe. I feel like I've never properly seen a movie before. Best $600 I've ever spent hands down.

Click here for the full 849x646 image.

jesus what was your old sub?? an onkyo or something? and yeah the epik is a great sub, it is the best $600 subwoofer out there, nice choice. Sure theres the av123 MFW-15 which is designed by mark seaton, but with the extremely lovely quality control on the amp the MFW-15 is not worth all the trouble youre likely to go through.

titaniumone
Jun 10, 2001

Just moved into my new place a month ago and I almost have the theater room set up fully. Some of the wiring isn't finished yet and we still need frames for the posters we're going to be rotating through on the wall, but:

Equipment:
Pioneer Kuro PDP-5080HD 720p 50" Plasma
Pioneer SC-07 Receiver
Shuttle SG33G5 HTPC
Paradigm 11Se Mk2 L/R
Paradigm CC-450 center
AKAI CW-2100 sides
Paradigm Atom rears
Velodyne CT-100 10" sub
Lazyboy reclining leather couch :w00t:
Logitech Harmony One remote for controlling almost everything
Logitech Dinovo Edge wireless keyboard for the HTPC

This poo poo plays loud. I have tons of headroom on the receiver and the sub is monstrously powerful. When there's an explosion, it pressurizes the room and you can feel it in your chest.

To be set up:
Mitsubishi HD1000 720p projector

After doing a lot of measuring it seems like the only reasonable screen size I can get is 92". I'll be picking up a screen shortly and then ceiling mounting the projector. The screen will go directly in front of the TV and will be a pull down or electric; still deciding if i want to go with a decent pull down or a cheapo electric, as I can get either for around the same price.

The second couch is moved in and out of the room as needed when guests come over. We're still trying to decide what exactly we want to do with it as a more permanent solution, so that we have more than 3 seats. Keeping it in the room all the time makes it pretty cramped.

Also the back of the room helps ensure this is the most central room in the house. We're sure to keep it stocked (about 300 bottles in the shelving right now).

titaniumone fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Nov 23, 2008

porksmash
Sep 30, 2008

Omegaslast posted:

jesus what was your old sub??

It is a Definitive Technology ProSub 600. I guess it would be good for a very small room, but it really does not sound good at all in a huge basement.

niralisse
Sep 14, 2003
custom text: never ending story

titaniumone posted:

The screen will go directly in front of the TV

How's that again?

Decairn
Dec 1, 2007

niralisse posted:

How's that again?

I just did this (will post some pics at some point). Flat screen TV on the wall. Projector retractable screen about 10" from wall, it comes down in front of the TV.

titaniumone
Jun 10, 2001

Decairn posted:

I just did this (will post some pics at some point). Flat screen TV on the wall. Projector retractable screen about 10" from wall, it comes down in front of the TV.

Yes, that's exactly it. I'm going to set it up so that it's only about an inch in front of the TV, and comes down to the top of the TV stand so it doesn't obstruct the center channel.

I just convinced my roommate to help me paint the room this weekend. We're going to paint it a dark burgundy color, it should look way better. Also ordered some HDMI walljacks for installing the projector. I'll post pictures when it's all finished.

niralisse
Sep 14, 2003

Decairn posted:

Why would you keep the TV?

Veeb0rg
Jul 24, 2001

THIS CONVERSATION IS NONPRODUCTIVE!

niralisse posted:

keep the usage hours down on the projector I'd assume.

titaniumone
Jun 10, 2001

niralisse posted:

1) You can't use a projector during the day without blacking the windows out (depressing)
2) You can't use a projector with the lights on
3) Projectors are expensive to run ($450/bulb)
4) 92" isn't something you always feel like using for every single task

I'll only be using it for late-night movies, really.

niralisse
Sep 14, 2003

titaniumone posted:

1) You can't use a projector during the day without blacking the windows out (depressing)
2) You can't use a projector with the lights on
3) Projectors are expensive to run ($450/bulb)
4) 92" isn't something you always feel like using for every single task

I'll only be using it for late-night movies, really.

Those are good reasons. It must be nice to have money. :(

Juriko
Jan 28, 2006

niralisse posted:

Those are good reasons. It must be nice to have money. :(

I only spent a little more for my Sanyo Z5 and 32" Sony than I would have for just a 50 inch TV. The only big difference is the extra matrixing switch. I am far from rich, it just took me 3 years to buy it all.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

900ftjesus posted:

What did it look like before the accident?

On Unicornback
Oct 17, 2004

I'd succumb to an OCD fit if I walked into that room :(

pim01
Oct 22, 2002

I finally realized what bothers me most about that photo - it's the huge amount of stuff on the floor, combined with the eerily empty wall. Brr. Buy a Billy at ikea and stuff all that poo poo in there.

Fnord
Apr 20, 2001
WHAT
Look at the photo closely. Do you see the green box cutter sitting on the "TV stand"? He is clearly a terrorist that has come to crash his setup into this thread.

On Unicornback
Oct 17, 2004

Is that an 360 Elite on an Oven Rack :confused:

Mugmoor
Dec 13, 2006

I had a ruff day at work.

On Unicornback posted:

Is that an 360 Elite on an Oven Rack :confused:

Yeah, a lot of us goons use those to keep our 360's raised up so it gets better ventilation. Those things are pretty sweet actually.

Also, moving in 2 weeks and can't wait to get a new A/V setup going :D.

porksmash
Sep 30, 2008
Finally got the rest of my setup in:

Click here for the full 1280x960 image.

And the sub off to the side:

List O' Stuff:
TV: Mitsubishi WD-Y577 DLP
Receiver: Denon AVR-789
Fronts: 2x KEF iQ9
Center: KEF iQ6c
Surrounds: 2x KEF iQ3
Subwoofer: Epik Knight
And a PS3 for games and Blu-Ray action.

coolskillrex remix
Jan 1, 2007

gorsh

porksmash posted:

Finally got the rest of my setup in:

And the sub off to the side:

List O' Stuff:
TV: Mitsubishi WD-Y577 DLP
Receiver: Denon AVR-789
Fronts: 2x KEF iQ9
Center: KEF iQ6c
Surrounds: 2x KEF iQ3
Subwoofer: Epik Knight
And a PS3 for games and Blu-Ray action.

Nice, i see you got the kefs. Have you pumped some stereo music through them??? How do they sound?

porksmash
Sep 30, 2008
They sound amazing. With the sub backing them up there is no comparison to my old speakers. I still can't get over how stuff (usually the singer) sounds like it is coming from the center, but when I move closer and put my ear in front of it it is completely silent. Also when I close my eyes I can't tell where the fronts are, which is awesome.

coolskillrex remix
Jan 1, 2007

gorsh

porksmash posted:

They sound amazing. With the sub backing them up there is no comparison to my old speakers. I still can't get over how stuff (usually the singer) sounds like it is coming from the center, but when I move closer and put my ear in front of it it is completely silent. Also when I close my eyes I can't tell where the fronts are, which is awesome.

Yep those are the two best things about moving up to a proper pair of speakers described pretty much exactly how i would describe them. Eventually you will also run into songs that throws sounds to the left and right of the speakers, it will trick your ears into thinking the walls themselves are somehow producing sound. Its a neat trick.

On Unicornback
Oct 17, 2004

Just got my MGS4 PS3 so I feel like my getup is complete for now.

32" Bravia 720p
Onkyo 606
Wii
MGS4 PS3
HTPC

KEF iQ6c - center
KEF IQ3 - Front LR
Wharfedale WH-2 - Dipole Surround
Velodyne Vx-10 Sub
Booda Litter Dome

Pretty happy :cool:

Sultry Fungus
Oct 29, 2006

Phallic Fungus make me happy.

On Unicornback posted:

32" Bravia 720p
Onkyo 606
Wii
MGS4 PS3
HTPC

KEF iQ6c - center
KEF IQ3 - Front LR
Velodyne Vx-10 Sub
Booda Litter Dome

Beautiful setup. I have to admit, your couch appears to be the most comfortable of them all...and very jealous of the KEF setup :fap:

Stump Truck
Nov 26, 2007
Why? Yes
I like that a lot, but the hugeness of everything makes your TV look really small in comparison.

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!
TV: Samsung LN52A630
Verizon Motorola DVR
Sony Playstation 3
Toshiba HD-A3
Onkyo HT-R520 (5.1 system, I want to upgrade to a 7.1 receiver with HDMI ports, I like the S606).
Not Pictured: XBOX360 which is not hooked up at the moment.

This is just temporary, after Christmas I am going to buy a wallmount with an arm, so I can hang it on the wall and put it into that corner and then figure what I want to do with all of my stuff. My fiance wants to buy a latter looking stand and put it all on, but who knows right now. I will probably be asking advice on where I should mount speakers based on my room and it's layout at some point in time soon.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

coolskillrex remix
Jan 1, 2007

gorsh

On Unicornback posted:

32" Bravia 720p
Onkyo 606
Wii
MGS4 PS3
HTPC

KEF iQ6c - center
KEF IQ3 - Front LR
Velodyne Vx-10 Sub
Booda Litter Dome

Another kef guy, very nice.

That TV is looking pretty small next to that center channel... i think a 50" is in order. :)

On Unicornback
Oct 17, 2004

Yeah I suppose the TV is a bit smaller than the rest of the setup :ohdear:

But our couch is only like 6-7 ft from the TV so it really isn't a huge issue at the moment. I'll get my usage out of this TV and upgrade years down the line when I get a new place -- I'm more impressed by audio as of now anyway.

Belldandy
Sep 11, 2001

Do not try to boost in peace, because that is impossible. Instead only try to realize the truth, there is no boost.
Just moved in last week and finally got everything today:

Electronics:

Samsung LN46A950 LCD TV
Onkyo TX-SR706 Receiver
Playstation 3 (Game and Blu-Ray Player)
Logitech Harmony 1000 Remote
RCN Cable/DVR

Speakers:

B&W 685 Fronts w/ B&W Stands
B&W HTM62 Center
B&W 686 Rears w/ B&W Stands

Furniture:

Salamander Synergy 236 Console
Crate and Barrel Axis Sectional
Cross Coffee Table

Meade Telescope :cool:

niralisse
Sep 14, 2003

Belldandy posted:

What's it like having the center so low? Seems like the coffee table would get in the way.

Belldandy
Sep 11, 2001

Do not try to boost in peace, because that is impossible. Instead only try to realize the truth, there is no boost.

niralisse posted:

What's it like having the center so low? Seems like the coffee table would get in the way.

I actually thought of that right before you posted, I raised the shelf up a little and now its slightly above the coffee table.

the aftermath
Jul 20, 2002

Things Fall Apart

Regnevelc posted:

TV: Samsung LN52A630
Cash Cab! I love that show!

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

Belldandy posted:

Just moved in last week and finally got everything today:

That coffee table kind of reminds me of a Noguchi coffee table.

Belldandy
Sep 11, 2001

gret posted:

That coffee table kind of reminds me of a Noguchi coffee table.

Yep, the Noguchi wouldn't really work in my space well, I felt this was a close second. I want one bad though :(

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

Belldandy posted:

Yep, the Noguchi wouldn't really work in my space well, I felt this was a close second. I want one bad though :(

Me too, but I don't have an extra couple of thousand dollars lying around either. :(

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!
Thank god, monoprice had the wallmount I want in stock today. Ordered with some in-wall rated HDMI cables! My christmas break is going to be fun setting all of this stuff up!

Belldandy
Sep 11, 2001

gret posted:

Me too, but I don't have an extra couple of thousand dollars lying around either. :(

Not that its cheap to begin with, but I have been seeing Noguchi tables on sale for as low as $1150 with free shipping.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

Belldandy posted:

Not that its cheap to begin with, but I have been seeing Noguchi tables on sale for as low as $1150 with free shipping.

Yeah, I think getting a better TV than my current 32" Magnavox will take priority over a nice table, assuming I didn't hit the Mega Million jackpot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

I'm a fucking pain machine and if you even touch my fucking car I WILL FUCKING DESTROY YOU.
I've seen people make Noguchi knockoffs of that 1944 "Coffee Table" for way cheaper. Its not the real deal but Herman Miller isn't exactly really nice about making affordable design. The one you have is nice though! I like how I'm starting to browse this thread more for people's furniture than the av setups.