Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Since nobody ever actually ages she's probably still 27 since 2003.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

DynamicSloth posted:

Emma a very attractive woman in her what early 30s? Has maybe slept with a half dozen extremely successful and attractive, nigh demi-gods, before the start of her stable long term relationship, this makes her a slut?

You guys got some issues.

I know right? Pray tell they never see the notches in She-Hulk's bedpost.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Irrelevant. The bed was destroyed in the She-Hulk - Juggernaut team up issue.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
This is actually a good example of the double standards we apply to men and women. Emma Frost is a slut because she's slept with a bunch of people, including Tony Stark and Namor. What do we call Tony Stark and Namor?

Angry Walrus
Aug 31, 2013

Quinn it
to
Win it.
I call them manwhores personally.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

mind the walrus posted:

I know right? Pray tell they never see the notches in She-Hulk's bedpost.

Everyone knows that all that was from the alternate reality She-Hulk from the slutty dimension - Dan Slott, Continuity Cop

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Skwirl posted:

This is actually a good example of the double standards we apply to men and women. Emma Frost is a slut because she's slept with a bunch of people, including Tony Stark and Namor. What do we call Tony Stark and Namor?
Namor is a sexual Atlantimperius Rex.

Also it is really a bunch of people? It sounds like five or six. But yeah, it is pretty drat weird. Comic fans are really literal though. Really, really literal.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

God drat please stop being creepy/weird about superheroes sex lives.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Waterhaul posted:

God drat please stop being creepy/weird about superheroes sex lives.

Sorry Waterhaul we are discussing important gender issues here.
Now let me tell you about my Namor/Iron Man fanfic.

Unmature
May 9, 2008
Just stumbled upon this letters page from Uncanny X-Men #172:

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Pak's Storm wasn't mindblowing but it was a very nice introduction issue.

WATXM conclusion was really good but I kind of wanna go back and re-read the whole thing now. Is Quire being written out because Bendis or Hickman or someone wants to use him or is this part of WATXM's plot?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

notthegoatseguy posted:

WATXM conclusion was really good but I kind of wanna go back and re-read the whole thing now. Is Quire being written out because Bendis or Hickman or someone wants to use him or is this part of WATXM's plot?

Well here are two upcoming solicitations I say its part of the plot

quote:

Issue #8 - • What’s it like to be a rich, famous, teenage mutant? Just ask Quentin Quire!
• Logan and storm go on a long overdue date!
• And when the headmasters are away, villains come out to play.

quote:

Happy Birthday, Quentin Quire!
• Party crasher Wolverine gets more than he bargained for when he realizes who Quentin’s bouncers are.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Isn't Wolverine supposed to die this month? W&tXM #6 came out this week, and it seems like he's still alive in #8 according to those solicits.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

IUG posted:

Isn't Wolverine supposed to die this month? W&tXM #6 came out this week, and it seems like he's still alive in #8 according to those solicits.

No he dies next month and the fall out is in October.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS
I feel like I forget everything that happens in a WatX issue like ten minutes after reading it. New rule: no more Future Evil X-Men stories for at least a year, please guys? I actually liked the last Bendis one better than this Latour one. Stupid plotholes like the letter aside, I could at least follow what the hell was going on. Last time we saw Future Phoenix Quire he was a good guy implied to be on the JGS faculty, but this time he was a bad guy who orchestrated all the Faithful John stuff and was going to... kill his past self? Seriously, someone who knows what this arc was about try to summarize it for me- it flew right over my head in a blur of "huh?"
I'm gonna give it through the Death of Wolverine stuff to see how its status quo changes, but I really feel like dropping it.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Diet Poison posted:

New rule: no more Future Evil X-Men stories for at least a year, please guys?

Want to emptyquote this and stamp it on the heads of the entire X-division at Marvel.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

Diet Poison posted:

I feel like I forget everything that happens in a WatX issue like ten minutes after reading it. New rule: no more Future Evil X-Men stories for at least a year, please guys? I actually liked the last Bendis one better than this Latour one. Stupid plotholes like the letter aside, I could at least follow what the hell was going on. Last time we saw Future Phoenix Quire he was a good guy implied to be on the JGS faculty, but this time he was a bad guy who orchestrated all the Faithful John stuff and was going to... kill his past self? Seriously, someone who knows what this arc was about try to summarize it for me- it flew right over my head in a blur of "huh?"
I'm gonna give it through the Death of Wolverine stuff to see how its status quo changes, but I really feel like dropping it.

Yeah, this issue was pretty much the last straw for me. Latour's run isn't horrible or anything, but I can't be bothered to care about anything that's gone on. The plot is yet another "the X-Men have to stop a bad future from happening" story that's super confusing to boot, the writing is too derivative of Aaron but without any of his charm or quirks, and the art is mediocre. It's really a shame, because I loved Aaron's run and I want to support this book on the principle of it being a lighter, student-focused story, but it's been consistently "meh" for me since the beginning.

On the other hand, I was really pleasantly surprised by how much I liked the new Storm book. The art is nice, and I loved how no-bullshit it was. No infighting, no time travel, no ridiculous supervillains or plot twists, no soap opera histrionics. It was just the X-Men helping people, guiding students, and tackling real-world social issues in a semi-realistic manner. It's everything I love about the franchise, and I wish it was something that was more common in the line these days.

MY ABACUS!
Oct 7, 2003

Katamari do your best!
What month will Wolverine come back to life?

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Before X-Men Apocalypse to be sure.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
Hmmm, I don't know if the X-Statix return tease leaves me appalled or thrilled.

CONFLICTED!

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Sentinel Red posted:

CONFLICTED!

It could be SO GOOD! That's not a guarantee though even if Milligan is writing it. I think maybe Fraction could do something cool with a team as weird as that though.
EDIT: Didn't X-Statix JUST show up in another book a few weeks ago? I can't remember what it was though. Unless I'm thinking of Doop.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

MY ABACUS! posted:

What month will Wolverine come back to life?

I got :10bux: that the story ends with him having faked his own death.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Sentinel Red posted:

CONFLICTED!

What, where did this happen?

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009

hope and vaseline posted:

What, where did this happen?

All-New Doop #4. And, I dunno, to me, it's just Milligan making a joke. Like I feel there's a huge dichotomy in the "Hey, being obsessed with relatively minor comic book things from the past is kinda harmful and makes you a bit of a weirdo so maybe it's not that good a thing but HEY GUESS WHAT X-STATIX IS COMING BACK" thing that book is going for.

Plus, the idea of things literally returning from the dead for no reason has kinda been explored in that Dead Girl miniseries, so I don't see what new ground there would be to cover. I'd still buy new X-Statix, especially if Milligan's at the same level as he is now, but maybe it's not radically new enough.

Synesthesian Fetish
Apr 29, 2008

Ya know, I useta be President... I'll let you kids punch me anywhere but the face for a dollar.

HorseRenoir posted:

Yeah, this issue was pretty much the last straw for me. Latour's run isn't horrible or anything, but I can't be bothered to care about anything that's gone on. The plot is yet another "the X-Men have to stop a bad future from happening" story that's super confusing to boot, the writing is too derivative of Aaron but without any of his charm or quirks, and the art is mediocre. It's really a shame, because I loved Aaron's run and I want to support this book on the principle of it being a lighter, student-focused story, but it's been consistently "meh" for me since the beginning.

There was a good month or two between reading WATX #4 and today when I read #5 & 6 but even with that I had no loving clue what was going on in the future. I couldn't tell who was a future version or what was going on. I'm also done with this series

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Diet Poison posted:

Stupid plotholes like the letter aside, I could at least follow what the hell was going on. Last time we saw Future Phoenix Quire he was a good guy implied to be on the JGS faculty, but this time he was a bad guy who orchestrated all the Faithful John stuff and was going to... kill his past self? Seriously, someone who knows what this arc was about try to summarize it for me- it flew right over my head in a blur of "huh?"

I'm pretty sure that it was implied that seeing his future good self as Phoenix back in Battle of the Atom reinspired Quire to be a rebellious prick, leading Phoenix-Quire to be evil.

Or not. gently caress it, this story really was confusing, huh? I don't know, there were a lot of parts of the story I liked (everything with the other X-students in the school, Wolverine naming his Bamf after Prof X), it just never really coalesced into a decent overall story.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

It didn't help that the issue opened with the worst art for this week for me, and I'm reading the current Deadpool ongoing (at least there it almost makes sense to have ugly art). I actually glanced back at the credits page and found there was something like 5 artists who worked on this issue. I wanted to like this series, but I'm going to drop it as well.

All-New X-Factor and X-Force, you're the only X-Titles left for me. :smith:

d00gZ
Oct 12, 2002

Original Sin Murderer
Wild Guess #627
Edward Snowden

"My sole motive is to inform the public as to that which is done in their name and that which is done against them."
Is it safe to say that Doop's origin ended up being fifty times weirder than anything anyone theorized? He's a tulpa created by a hospital orderly doodling on Ingmar Bergman's script for The Seventh Seal, and his whole life he thought he was created by Ingmar Bergman.

That's so gloriously loving weird.

Unmature
May 9, 2008
Maybe spoil that, buddy.

d00gZ
Oct 12, 2002

Original Sin Murderer
Wild Guess #627
Edward Snowden

"My sole motive is to inform the public as to that which is done in their name and that which is done against them."

Unmature posted:

Maybe spoil that, buddy.

Maybe check the forum's spoiler rules, buddy. It came out yesterday.

Unmature
May 9, 2008

d00gZ posted:

Maybe check the forum's spoiler rules, buddy. It came out yesterday.

Oh sorry, I didn't realize you were a dick.

d00gZ
Oct 12, 2002

Original Sin Murderer
Wild Guess #627
Edward Snowden

Unmature posted:

Oh sorry, I didn't realize you were a dick.

I am literally following the policy BSS has been using for spoilers for an actual decade. Don't read the thread if you haven't read this week's stuff yet if you care about being spoiled.

EDIT: I really don't mean to come across as a dick; I've opened threads without reading poo poo before and gotten spoiled, and that's my fault.

d00gZ fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Jul 24, 2014

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

If you turn on "Colorize threads according to the bookmark category I've assigned" in your options, you can give your bookmarks different colors. I mark these threads as red on Wednesday until I read the books I care about. I do the same for any show that has an airing that night until I watch it.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?

notthegoatseguy posted:

Gave it a shot. It's a nice done-in-one, but there's not even a hint of the kinds of stories to expect in the future, and I can't see Storm excelling like Hawkeye or the new Moon Knight series for long. She just isn't that kind of character.

d00gZ
Oct 12, 2002

Original Sin Murderer
Wild Guess #627
Edward Snowden

Inkspot posted:

Gave it a shot. It's a nice done-in-one, but there's not even a hint of the kinds of stories to expect in the future, and I can't see Storm excelling like Hawkeye or the new Moon Knight series for long. She just isn't that kind of character.

It has nothing to do with the character; it's just the fact that Victor Ibañez, as talented as he is, is no David Aja or Declan Shalvey & Jordie Bellaire pushing the boundaries. It's totally cool superhero comic art, but the envelope is remaining pretty chill and unpushed. (For now.)

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
The art was fine. Standard Marvel fare. Unexciting, but serviceable. I'm talking story. Plot. Dialogue.

Flying back and forth from New York to Africa twice and returning a student with hastily constructed wangst to her family will only get you 22 pages once without getting stale. A little set up for the future would have been a nice reassurance that there's a plan for the book beyond, "Oh poo poo, we need another girl power book so we don't get yelled at."

I enjoyed it enough to give the second issue a try, but it doesn't exactly feel like a long-haul book, and it has nothing to do with the visual aspect.

Stagger_Lee
Mar 25, 2009
Does she zap fools with lightning? Does she summon a pea-soup fog? Does she pick a lock or get trapped in a confined space?

A Tin Of Beans
Nov 25, 2013

Inkspot posted:

The art was fine. Standard Marvel fare. Unexciting, but serviceable. I'm talking story. Plot. Dialogue.

Flying back and forth from New York to Africa twice and returning a student with hastily constructed wangst to her family will only get you 22 pages once without getting stale. A little set up for the future would have been a nice reassurance that there's a plan for the book beyond, "Oh poo poo, we need another girl power book so we don't get yelled at."

I enjoyed it enough to give the second issue a try, but it doesn't exactly feel like a long-haul book, and it has nothing to do with the visual aspect.

I wish they'd drawn the thing out with the student, or at least not resolved it in #1. That could have given us some kind of thread for what to expect for the future, at least, working the sellout angle or whatever.

Hopefully they figure out where to take it.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

Stagger_Lee posted:

Does she zap fools with lightning? Does she summon a pea-soup fog? Does she pick a lock or get trapped in a confined space?

Does she say "you have sown the wind...now reap the whirlwind"?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

So the original sin secret is that He married Mystique!That now makes him the step dad of Nightcrawler and Rogue! What is the point? Who the gently caress knows.

• Locked thread