Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

smdh at all the petty bickering over imaginary nonsense in the feminism thread thats not what were here to discuss

anyway i was listening to this npr story earlier today about how feminists solved puccinis extremely problematic opera turandot by changing it so that instead of the title character wanting to murder all the men because shes kind of a jerk shes doing it because of toxic masculinity

https://www.npr.org/2024/05/09/1250136482/washington-national-opera-provides-a-new-ending-to-puccinis-final-work

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

Ohtori Akio posted:

on the web your gender is retard it would seem

lol

Ted Wassanasong
Apr 8, 2020

Colonel Cancer posted:

Here in the woods looking for bears and there's all these straight women ugh

Would you rather meet a bear or a walrus in the woods?

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
walrus

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

The walrus probably has a really cool story about why its in the woods. Id hear them out.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://twitter.com/POTUS/status/1788924453499306383

thank u mr president

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Nix Panicus posted:

The walrus probably has a really cool story about why its in the woods. Id hear them out.

Since it's a walrus it wouldn't be capable of effectively communicating with you, unfortunately.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

replies are 100% transphobia, just in case you were wondering

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I'm a feminist, I believe women are fully capable of being just as hosed up and horrible as men, and many have in fact already achieved it

I'm a true feminist, I support womens rights, and also womens wrongs

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

Once you talk to a few women about their weird fetishes you'll realize everyone is sexually hosed up regardless of gender

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007

Mama’s Lil’ Louie

Nap Ghost

tokin opposition posted:

Once you talk to a few women about their weird fetishes you'll realize everyone is sexually hosed up regardless of gender

Spend like an hour on booktok and its hard not to come to the conclusion that ladies might be bigger pervs than dudes, they're just quieter and their weirdness tends to be more complex. Less "oh boy, feet!" and more "I want a sex partner who hates me in a very specific way".

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

tokin opposition posted:

https://twitter.com/_claypot/status/1783582648222277996

holefoods
Jan 10, 2022

the next time I see someone online doing a “you don’t have to make fun of us posting about bluey just because you don’t watch it!” I’m posting that

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Call me a geek, but the highlight of my Christmas season was seeing Daisy Ridley as Rey in The Force Awakens, grasping Luke’s old lightsaber, with the John Williams epic score swirling behind her, before beating seven shades out of one of cinema's most creepy-yet-terrifying villains.

If Rey and other kick-rear end heroines are icons of geek feminism, Kylo Ren seems like a portrait of geek masculinity at its worst. Twitter has declared the black-helmeted Kylo a “Ren’s Rights Activist”, and that's not the only way the nerd knight reminds us of the most atrocious geek male behaviour of 2015.

Kylo Ren impotently thrashing a computer with his big red sword is the perfect portrait of Gamergate, the online hate campaign that continued its crusade against feminist video game reviewers in 2015. If Kylo Ren’s buddies in the First Order have a manifesto, don't be surprised if point one is "actually it's about ethics in galactic domination".

Whether it was the attempt to push women and writers of colour out of the 2015 Hugo awards, OpalGate and other incidents around the open source software movement, or the backlash against female comic book characters, the same pattern repeated across geek culture in 2015 - angry men acting like bigots because they believed something only they should be entitled to was being taken away.

There's an unfortunate overlap between geek culture and the “manosphere”. Men who still harbour the low self-esteem often associated with geek culture can be easily sucked in by "meninist" rhetoric, absurd ideas of Alpha and Gamma maleness, pick-up training, and a toxic attitude to women that has enthroned feminism as its enemy.

The Red Pill, a metaphor culled from scifi movie The Matrix, is the central metaphor of the manosphere. Swallowing the pill means waking up to reality, but in a bitter twist of irony, it's not the reality of sexism and bigotry. Instead "red pillers" believe in a shared delusional system in which "Feminazis" and "Social Justice Warriors" have taken over the world.

Profiting from this nonsense are a growing number of Men’s Rights gurus who exploit male self-esteem issues, and inflame festering anger over class and identity, as a way to drum up business for their self-help books, seminars and various other products. Like mini-Donald Trumps, these men will spout any outrageous rubbish simply to polish their brand among the half-wits who listen to them.

It's easy to mistake the marketing campaigns of Men's Rights gurus, and the frothing outrage they provoke, for a real discussion of male identity. The sad truth is that discussion, which badly needs to be had, is a barely detectable signal in the vast noise of the internet and social media. And without strong voices helping shape a new male identity, there’s a void which hucksters and conmen happily fill.

If that's true of our geek culture icons, it's just as true in the wider culture of masculinity. In a world where straight white male is no longer the de facto face of heroism, what new identity do men aspire to? For too long male identity has been twisted to serve values of violence and militarism. Maybe Star Wars offers a little hint here as well, in the strong but loving shape of Po Dameron, who makes caring a part of the male soul.

In 2016 we need a healthy, honest discussion of male identity, one not sidelined and swamped by the fake gurus of “meninism”, so we can actually start to make sense of what it means to be male today.

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

stopped reading after the first couple of words

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

One More Fat Nerd posted:

Spend like an hour on booktok and its hard not to come to the conclusion that ladies might be bigger pervs than dudes, they're just quieter and their weirdness tends to be more complex. Less "oh boy, feet!" and more "I want a sex partner who hates me in a very specific way".

Between stuff like the Omegaverse and books like Morning Glory Milking Farm, booktok people can definitely give anime people a run for their money

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
The 2010s sure were dumb (2020s not looking better)

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

i miss the gay nineties

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022
sttfu

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

quote:

the strong but loving shape of Po Dameron, who makes caring a part of the male soul.

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Its important to recognize that in the second movie Po is completely correct and the dumb broads who yell at him would have gotten everyone killed, and for their crime of criticizing a man and being wrong about it they were killed

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007

Mama’s Lil’ Louie

Nap Ghost

bedpan posted:

stopped reading after the first couple of words

Congratulations on making it farther than most

Puppy Burner
Sep 9, 2011

Nix Panicus posted:

Its important to recognize that in the second movie Po is completely correct and the dumb broads who yell at him would have gotten everyone killed, and for their crime of criticizing a man and being wrong about it they were killed

I hope to never know what this means

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Puppy Burner posted:

I hope to never know what this means

its about kung fu panda

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

The sequels got wild

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Silicon Valley seems obsessed with finding ways to replace women. Grocery delivery. Food delivery. Laundry. Managing administrative tasks. All the things that Silicon Valley seeks to disrupt are roles that for a long time, and probably still for many of the tech bros, were done by mothers and wives.

Need sex? No need to know how to like women or talk to them if you have dating apps!

Need a sandwich but you can’t tell a woman to make you a sandwich anymore because of “woke”? Use GrubHub!

You don’t need a girlfriend or a mommy; you just need an app.

Enter OpenAI, a service that is supposed to be reliable, pleasant, tirelessly fulfilling all your desires, and never bored of your stupid irritating questions, Trevor!

Kate Crawford, a scholar of artificial intelligence, pointed out on Twitter, “AI assistants invoke gendered traditions of the secretary, a figure of administrative and emotional support, often sexualized. Underpaid and undervalued, secretaries still had a lot of insight into private and commercially sensitive dealings. They had power through information. But just as secretaries were taught to hide their knowledge, AI agents are designed to make us to forget their power as they are made to fit within non-threatening, retrograde feminine tropes. These are powerful data extraction engines, sold as frictionless convenience.”

Anyway, cool world you are building, bros. Be a shame if women had autonomy or agency in it.

Crawford also co-authored an article about the ways in which industry has always relied on the open, easy, pleasing, and sexually desirable voices of white women, to make their dystopian visions more appealing.

You don’t even have to be a secretary to be treated like one. How often has a woman been asked a question by a man that was so easily Googlable? Every drat day is the answer.

OpenAI was developed by a lot of tech guys who didn’t go to college because no one needs that anymore. But they did read a couple of dystopian sci-fi novels and, instead of seeing them as warnings about what technology might do to society, got some really cool ideas.

Yeah, Margaret Atwood, what if women were nothing but rigidly controlled baby-making machines? GREAT IDEA. Sounds perfect. No notes, queen.

Hell yeah, Anthony Burgess. Doing mind experiments on petty criminals, then releasing them, defenseless, into the world will have no repercussions whatsoever.

What’s that, George Orwell? Animals inventing fascism? Sounds great — let’s make it happen! That’s our guy Orwell, the great farmyard disruptor.

Ray Bradbury, you lil genius, what if we DID eliminate all sources of complexity, nuance, and confusion, and got rid of all the books so people’s minds could just be blissfully happy, smooth brain, no thoughts. There are famously no problems with this.

And for the guys who couldn’t be bothered to read a book, enter the 2013 movie Her, where Joaquin Phoenix plays an unhappy divorced man who falls in love with a virtual assistant voiced by Scarlett Johanssen. The movie depicts a sad dystopia. But sad dystopia made real seems to be the tagline for Silicon Valley innovation these days.

Brian Barrett, writing for Wired, discussed this dystopian-to-cool-new-tech-innovation trend in a piece published earlier this month, noted, “And maybe media literacy is low on the wish list for Big Tech CEO attributes. But as long as this keeps happening, it’s worth calling out. If we’re building toward a certain vision of the future, it’s worth understanding which sci-fi sacred texts are guidebooks and which are cautionary tales. Being friends with AI will be so much easier than forging bonds with human beings. That doesn’t mean it’s better. Sometimes it’s much worse.”

Surprising no one, the CEO of OpenAI, Sam Altman, is obsessed with Her. And he apparently really wanted Scarlett Johansson to be the voice of OpenAI. But when he first approached the actress, she said “No.” Much like many of the men I have dated, Altman, undeterred by rejection or the wants and needs of a woman, pushed forth in pursuit of his own desires. Altman released OpenAI with a voice that really sounds a lot like Scarlett Johansson. So much so that the actress released a statement outlining the timeline of her talks with Altman and threatening to sue the company.

Altman, who launched the product by tweeting “her,” has denied he used her voice, saying it’s the voice of another actress. Like, you idiots, hahaha why would this voice that sounds like the actress I am obsessed with and wanted to do this project sound like her?

It’s not like AI has some well-documented problems with using information without the consent of the creators.

Listen, it wouldn’t be the first time a man has taken something from a woman and pretended like it was his to use all along.

Brian Merchant (have tech writers considered not being named Brian?), writing in his fabulous newsletter, pointed out that maybe dystopia is the point, explaining, “Lots of people, especially lonely men, would like to be surrounded full-time by a Scarlett Johansson bot that acts like it cares deeply about them and thinks they’re funny. Who cares if ultimately it is revealed in the film that the AI was not actually engaging in a personal loving relationship with the protagonist but a simulation of one, and that simulation was keeping him — and humans everywhere — from enjoying basic human experiences and depriving them of lasting connection with other people? It’s a personal 24/7 Scarlett Johansson AI companion.”

Despite Altman’s protestations, OpenAI shut down its voice feature after the threat of the lawsuit.

Anyway, cool world you are building, bros. Be a shame if women had autonomy or agency in it.

Vox also had a great article about the whole thing. The best part was when writer Sigal Samuel asked Chat GPT what it’s called when a man casts doubt on a woman’s clear concerns and well-documented issues with your behavior.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

(using grub hub) finally a way for me to express my misogyny without actually having to tell a woman to make me a sandwich

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022
stfu

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

The premiere innovators in disrupting women as an underclass, which is a bad thing for that specific reason

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

I could do with your...assistance.
Are we still pretending that dating apps are just hookup tools and not an extremely normalized way to meet people for all sorts of relationships

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Jabarto posted:

an extremely normalized way to meet people for all sorts of relationships

i've never used one to find, like, a fellow hobby enthuiast

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

Aside from infringing on the rights of a millionaire white woman how is any of that bad? Because the alternative is having ~the bros~ demand these things of real women and thus trying to interact with us. Let them sink into the GrubHub fuckdoll Alexa's and embrace lesbianism.

E: also the railing against dating apps is lol. Pretty sure it takes two to tango on the having casual sex front, at least in some states.

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

people shouldn't date OR have sex

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Jabarto posted:

Are we still pretending that dating apps are just hookup tools and not an extremely normalized way to meet people for all sorts of relationships

who is is “we” here?

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

I could do with your...assistance.

AnimeIsTrash posted:

who is is “we” here?

The author in Some Guy's post.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

tokin opposition posted:

Aside from infringing on the rights of a millionaire white woman how is any of that bad? Because the alternative is having ~the bros~ demand these things of real women and thus trying to interact with us. Let them sink into the GrubHub fuckdoll Alexa's and embrace lesbianism.

E: also the railing against dating apps is lol. Pretty sure it takes two to tango on the having casual sex front, at least in some states.

No you don't get it, all women have is their subservience to men and if you take that away through apps then what do they have left? What is the identity of a woman in a world where apps can deliver sandwiches and take notes of big important man business meetings? The apps are attacking womanhood itself, assuming you define womanhood exclusively through their service to men, which the author appears to do

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

as a safety committee representative, women and non-binary folks should wear PPE too

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Not sure what point the window breaker is making.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

Platystemon posted:

Not sure what point the window breaker is making.

Getting trapped in a car usually

It's a little paranoid and not usually how things happen, but kidnapping is scary.