Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Join The Helldivers!
Freedom!
Democracy!
Liber-tea!
Call for reinforcements!
View Results

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

Away all Goats posted:

Why is the personal order to kill two tanks when there's no 'Hunt a tank' mission available. My only chance of completing is hoping I can get the last hit on a tank that might not even spawn :negative:

it counts if anyone on your team kills it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

Oneiros posted:

explosive resist armour field test (malevelon creek, lv7) report: you will indeed survive a rocket, but as your limp body flies thru the air and tumbles thru the forest undergrowth you will find yourself begging for the sweet release of death. eventually, another blast will wrap you around a tree at mach 3
I did enjoy getting bracketed by two mortar shots and barely taking 10% damage.

But then sometimes a heavy devastator hits you in the head and you die just as instantly as you would have in light armor. They really need to fix that.

Sindai fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Mar 20, 2024

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

Phenotype posted:

I think the laser rifle is gonna see a nerf eventually, it really does seem too good. There's no reason it should be packing 6 spare heatsinks when the Liberator only gets 7 magazines, for one thing.

Honestly I think it's in a really good place. The inaccuracy, spin up time and no medium armour pen does a lot to keep it honest. The spare heatsinks are there for prolonged fights, or if you get back to back to back patrols, and they get more important as you climb up in difficulty. It's not like other guns where you obviously have to reload because you're out of bullets, to keep doing damage. With the sickle you're making choices about when to cash in your heatsinks to keep your damage output up.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
If the Breaker is now in a good place the Sickle is probably fine. It's more that every other non-shotgun primary could use varying degrees of buff.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

Eediot Jedi posted:

Honestly I think it's in a really good place. The inaccuracy, spin up time and no medium armour pen does a lot to keep it honest. The spare heatsinks are there for prolonged fights, or if you get back to back to back patrols, and they get more important as you climb up in difficulty. It's not like other guns where you obviously have to reload because you're out of bullets, to keep doing damage. With the sickle you're making choices about when to cash in your heatsinks to keep your damage output up.
If it gets a nerf I'd say losing some heatsinks would be a good way to go about it, because it is kind of goofy that it gets 6 spare heatsinks while the liberator gets 7 magazines. I don't think the rest of the gun is out of line really.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Insert name here posted:

If it gets a nerf I'd say losing some heatsinks would be a good way to go about it, because it is kind of goofy that it gets 6 spare heatsinks while the liberator gets 7 magazines. I don't think the rest of the gun is out of line really.

TBH I can't think of a game where I've run lower than 3.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Honestly they should lift up other primaries to the area the breaker, punisher, slugger, and sickle are right now. The sickle is fun because it has infinite ammo, but that infinite ammo comes at a cost of having "down time" and the spin up makes it terribad in oh poo poo scenarios. I think it has enough nice downsides to warrant its level of power.

I'd like to see the liberator penetrator get some tweaks to move it more into a niche, the diligence and diligence CS need...something. Aim lag decrease would be nice for one but something with the damage/ammo ratio.

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

Kly posted:

it counts if anyone on your team kills it

Only if they also have the order active, iirc

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Eediot Jedi posted:

this is the second time that I've seen someone call the sickle innacurate and it's still baffling to me. it has a long range scope for a reason.

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

turn off the TV posted:

this is the second time that I've seen someone call the sickle innacurate and it's still baffling to me. it has a long range scope for a reason.

not only that but i think the sickle has the BEST loving gunsight of any of them

a crosshair the AMR could only dream of

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

GruntyThrst posted:

Only if they also have the order active, iirc

That would explain it. Definitely killed one and the other that died on the mission must have been killed by someone else cause I came back from a mission with 1/2 killed

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Eediot Jedi posted:

You've just described exactly why heatsinks are better than ammo lol, that's exactly why it seems silly that you get almost as many heatsinks as other rifles get magazines.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

sickle should be like 2, maybe 3 spare heatsinks. considering how long the heatsinks last and how fast they can be replaced it kinda elides the difference between lasers and guns.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
I tried out the Sickle and yeah, it's basically the Stalwart returning to its HD1 place as a primary weapon. Very powerful niche, but even with it and the stun grenade, I'm not spending ten bucks for that warbond

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

PROCEED
I've unlocked both premium warbonds and am sitting on 995 supercredits. Are people actually buying SCs with real money? Why?

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

BlackIronHeart posted:

I've unlocked both premium warbonds and am sitting on 995 supercredits. Are people actually buying SCs with real money? Why?

Because I bought too much of the armor on the superstore

FunkyFjord
Jul 18, 2004

Phenotype posted:

Anecdotally it felt a lot easier to get the headshot kill on chargers, I don't think I missed once. It was also nice always having it ready immediately rather than having to call down the strategem and wait around for a charge or two.

The EAT has this kind of odd thing about it in that it takes a second or two for you to actually be able to fire it after you swap to it. I think there's an animation of your helldiver readying it after they shoulder it but I'm usually too busy starring at a bug head to notice. The RR may not have this at all, which would make it slightly better for quick firing off a single rocket. This is totally made up for by the fact that whenever you melee while wielding the EAT you bash things with an overhead swing instead of a normal rifle butt smack.

toasterwarrior posted:

This reminds me: do not loving touch tank wrecks because you will die

I regularly climb all over destroyed tanks of both varieties but I totally have had this happen at least twice. Went to get on top of a wrecked tank to get a little bit of a vantage and use it's scrapped turret as cover and the game just deleted me as soon as I was within one foot of it's treads. It was at least 30 seconds before it started to sink through the ground to despawn too.

Rhymenoserous posted:

TBH I can't think of a game where I've run lower than 3.

I had exactly one earlier today. Started up a tier 4 mission (challenging?) to test out the new shotgun and laser pistol and woo do they suck, feels bad taking like four shots to take out a warrior bug. On the second mission I swapped back to the Scythe and the pubs I was with couldn't stop fighting every bug breach that spawned, which was pretty much non stop since they couldn't clear them really quickly either even though there were no titans on a charger only popped up every second or third breach. When we got down to around ~5 reinforcements left I had to join in so we wouldn't completely run out before extract. Granted I also wasn't packing the most quick and efficient stratagems either, and was still testing out the Senator. In every other match I've had with the Scythe I also don't think I've gone below 3 or 4 heat sinks. It's extremely efficient, even with bots. Need to put more time in on the plasma shotgun and scorcher though, those both also felt pretty good.

E: Sickle, not Scythe.

FunkyFjord fucked around with this message at 07:01 on Mar 20, 2024

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

toasterwarrior posted:

I tried out the Sickle and yeah, it's basically the Stalwart returning to its HD1 place as a primary weapon. Very powerful niche, but even with it and the stun grenade, I'm not spending ten bucks for that warbond

The best part is you don't have to! With all the postin' you're doing in this thread, surely you have 1000 super credits to kick towards that warbond. The stun grenades are also very nice, and the meme of an all Ghostbusters team is too good to pass up.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

FunkyFjord posted:

The EAT has this kind of odd thing about it in that it takes a second or two for you to actually be able to fire it after you swap to it. I think there's an animation of your helldiver readying it after they shoulder it but I'm usually too busy starring at a bug head to notice. The RR may not have this at all, which would make it slightly better for quick firing off a single rocket.
The EAT is stored collapsed and your diver has to extend the tube before firing, and you're right that the RR does not have this delay.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

toasterwarrior posted:

I got it and didn't spend :10bux:. I just cashed in super credits that I got from looting POIs in missions.

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

So what's the benefits of the stun grenades? Because giving up being able to kill spawners and especially my favorite thing, one shotting armored bile spewers with impact grenades is a big ask.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

PROCEED

GruntyThrst posted:

So what's the benefits of the stun grenades? Because giving up being able to kill spawners and especially my favorite thing, one shotting armored bile spewers with impact grenades is a big ask.

They're near instantly deployed EMS bubbles so when you're running from 5 bile spewers you can buy yourself some breathing room or freeze them in place for a strategem to hit them.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

The stun is actually really strong, and it can stun about any bug instantly. It makes more difference than you might think to just take that pressure off for a few seconds. You do want to pair them with something that can kill bug holes like autocannon or GL if you dont have total faith in your fellow helldivers. Haven't tried them against bots.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

This is the second time I've had bots literally spawn out of thin air on me
https://i.imgur.com/d6EFjNf.mp4

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

GruntyThrst posted:

stun bile titan so 500kg goes off perfectly beneath it and oneshots it. stun a hulk and trivially 2 shot its eye with AMR. make the 2-3 stalkers chasing you stop moving and politely hold still while you hose them down with bullets. etc

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Legit Businessman posted:

The best part is you don't have to! With all the postin' you're doing in this thread, surely you have 1000 super credits to kick towards that warbond. The stun grenades are also very nice, and the meme of an all Ghostbusters team is too good to pass up.

Yeah, no.

GruntyThrst posted:

During a game where I saw it in action, one of my buds basically could stop chargers and titans dead in their tracks (the former even during a charge), which leads to easy setups with rockets and 500KGs. Stunning heavy bugs is a strong niche, especially since you have way more options for explosives but not that many for reliable and accessible stuns.

Sestze
Jun 6, 2004

Cybernetic Crumb

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

The stun is actually really strong, and it can stun about any bug instantly. It makes more difference than you might think to just take that pressure off for a few seconds. You do want to pair them with something that can kill bug holes like autocannon or GL if you dont have total faith in your fellow helldivers. Haven't tried them against bots.
Stuns any enemy in the game that isn't a tank or cannon turret, allowing for you to flamethrower/AC/strategem/whatever them down. Can't kill teammates with them.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

turn off the TV posted:

You could strap the james webb to it and it'd still be inaccurate. Watch the tracers deviate from the point of aim. e: it's accurate enough to blast light armour enemies, but it isn't great at getting past hive guard plates or sniping devastator heads.

https://i.imgur.com/XoqiErV.mp4

Phenotype posted:

You've just described exactly why heatsinks are better than ammo lol, that's exactly why it seems silly that you get almost as many heatsinks as other rifles get magazines.

Yeah I posted that, then wondered when the last time was I'd even run low on heat sinks despite adopting a hold the trigger down, always, mentality.

Eediot Jedi fucked around with this message at 07:16 on Mar 20, 2024

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~
the massive downside of the stun grenades is you lose a method of closing bug holes and bot factories

impact grenades are also extremely lovely for bot factories

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

Eediot Jedi posted:

You could strap the james webb to it and it'd still be inaccurate. Watch the tracers deviate from the point of aim. e: it's accurate enough to blast light armour enemies, but it isn't great at getting past hive guard plates or sniping devastator heads.

crouch and stop moving, use short bursts

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

Spookydonut posted:

impact grenades are also extremely lovely for bot factories

Unironically, skill issue. Once you learn the angle you need it’s trivial to consistently blow up bot fabricators with impacts in the vents. Even without that you can always just throw them through the door as well.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
I swear to god the chargers are way better at tracking your movements than they used to be, it's annoying the hell out of me

e] aim for the bottom lip of the vent and make sure you're pretty much perpendicular and it's sweet. Yea more hassle than a timed frag, but not massively.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

Spookydonut posted:

crouch and stop moving, use short bursts

That was shot prone, full auto for demonstration. The sickle has pretty much no recoil, burst fire vs full auto doesn't matter with it. Shot 1 or shot 100, any can potentially deviate. Ask me about sniping lamp posts with the sickle.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
yea no poo poo sniping is not the best use of the gatling laser, well done

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

Darox posted:

Unironically, skill issue. Once you learn the angle you need it’s trivial to consistently blow up bot fabricators with impacts in the vents. Even without that you can always just throw them through the door as well.

I can nail bug holes from across those massive crater nests but also my time against bots is like 1/10th of bugs so yeah probably skill issue

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

BlackIronHeart posted:

I've unlocked almost everything on every warbond and purchased multiple suits of armor off the superstore, but I also threw Arrowhead some money because I think they made a rad game. Now I have 1600 SC ready for whatever they release next.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

lmao

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~
buying SC is for people who dont have time to sink 100h grinding them out

Infidelicious
Apr 9, 2013

Jerkface posted:

Honestly they should lift up other primaries to the area the breaker, punisher, slugger, and sickle are right now. The sickle is fun because it has infinite ammo, but that infinite ammo comes at a cost of having "down time" and the spin up makes it terribad in oh poo poo scenarios. I think it has enough nice downsides to warrant its level of power.

I'd like to see the liberator penetrator get some tweaks to move it more into a niche, the diligence and diligence CS need...something. Aim lag decrease would be nice for one but something with the damage/ammo ratio.

The Lib Pen has a niche right now, but it's really niche - it's legitimately good vs. brood commanders and hive guards in a way no other primary is; but it could probably stand to get some more damage to be worth using vs. bots.

The Diligence needs like +3-4 extra mags and a better scope.

The CS needs a better scope, and to get damage along the lines of the slugger - it handling lovely and having very few, small magazines would be fine if the juice was worth the squeeze.

Laser weapons in general should get like 2 heatsinks, having 5-6 just flattens their mechanics and niche.

Scythe/Dagger really need to get damage that ramps up either linearly or on some kind of bell curve - they're just not interesting mechanically, and have no room to grow skill with since they are just guns with awful DPS that don't run out of ammo.

Wanting to keep them in a sweet spot would reward getting good at managing their heat / damage output and make them feel significantly different than non energy weapons.

Infidelicious fucked around with this message at 08:02 on Mar 20, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Ciaphas posted:

holy poo poo the hellpod steering upgrade is enormous :stare: keeping this away from most(e: ?) players is a goddamn crime!

It's the first upgrade I aimed for.