Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Isomermaid
Dec 3, 2019

Swish swish, like a fish

thespaceinvader posted:

I have to hope that at least some of these are ignorance rather than malice, but that's not exactly a defence when it comes to... you know, MPs.
Further down her replies she's talking with one of her constituents asking her to clarify if she believes trans women are women and her response is to say I'm not gonna tell you over Twitter, so I think we pretty much know the answer from that

Edit:
352nd day of the year, December 18 which in 2015 was the date that the last deep coal mine in the UK, Kellingley Colliery, closed

Isomermaid fucked around with this message at 12:06 on Aug 1, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

thespaceinvader posted:

Some comedians are anti establishment but if they get on the telly they don't stay that way, and if they stay that way they don't get on the telly.
Yeah, Sayle's stand up stuff was a lot more overtly Marxist than his TV stuff.

Of course, that also applies in the opposite direction.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

OwlFancier posted:

Was comedy ever anti establishment? I don't ever recall seeing anything I would consider actually transgressive.

Ben Jonson went to prison for a year for his comedy/satire "Isle of Dogs", a play so shocking that no trace of it remains other than the court records of his trial.

Slightly more up-to-date, the 60s satire boom *was* transgressive and anti-establishment - Beyond the Fringe's "Pointless Sacrifice" sketch, fairly tame by todays standards, caused a moral outrage that made poppy-burning look tame, and the Establishment Club was as much a factor in the end of the Lord Chancellor's powers to censor theatre as the Lady Chatterley trial. The 80s alternative comedy scene echoed this somewhat, and of course Private Eye over the years has faced actual imprisonment for its editorial team.

Now the common factor with all of these is that with very few exceptions all of the figures involved pretty much became the establishment and now lazily punch down.

RockyB
Mar 8, 2007

Dog Therapy: Shockingly Good

WhatEvil posted:

I get that some people don't like seeing a page of tweets ITT but twitter is just where things happen now. Government policy gets tweeted out, journos have a direct line to people through it for things which might not otherwise get a whole story of their own, politicians etc. can speak to people when again they would otherwise have to rely on the press, the POTUS has a stream-of-consciousness feed on there...

:tinfoil:

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Yeah, that username format is definitely a strong indicator that someone's got some exciting views about race, culture and class, but it's because it's the badge of the Ordinary Common Sense Having Majority. The whole meme of it being a bot indicator comes from the Fubpees and hashtagresistance tossers who genuinely can't understand people having a different opinion than them and so dismiss all dissent as being from those famous St. Petersburg Troll Farms.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Now the common factor with all of these is that with very few exceptions all of the figures involved pretty much became the establishment and now lazily punch down.
That's why you need continued new generations of anti-establishment figures. The lack of this at the moment is why you have "conservatism is the new punk rock" bullshit. I hope Gen Z does better.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

goddamnedtwisto posted:

https://twitter.com/RosieDuffield1/status/1289498350857977858

Boy the amount of masks being dropped in the last few months are gonna be a severe trip hazard around the Houses of Parliament

Love to name Search myself on twitter

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Jose posted:

Love to name Search myself on twitter

Yeah she couldn't make it more blatantly obvious what she's up to - gonna try an experiment and see if I can cause some kind of matter/antimatter annihilation:

https://twitter.com/CouncilCulture/status/1289522989197717504

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

goddamnedtwisto posted:

https://twitter.com/RosieDuffield1/status/1289498350857977858

Boy the amount of masks being dropped in the last few months are gonna be a severe trip hazard around the Houses of Parliament

lol protected her account

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Guavanaut posted:

That's why you need continued new generations of anti-establishment figures. The lack of this at the moment is why you have "conservatism is the new punk rock" bullshit. I hope Gen Z does better.

Yeah hopefully the rich gen z inbreds allowed on the telly are anti establishment

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Armando Iannucci is my biggest disappointment. I don’t know how you can see The Thick of It as anything but a condemnation of New Labour-style ideologically empty politics. And he went from that to lamenting Alistair Campbell being thrown out of Labour, even though he made an entire TV series about how he was a poison on the body politic and a movie about how he was a war criminal.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Communist Thoughts posted:

Yeah hopefully the rich gen z inbreds allowed on the telly are anti establishment
Fortunately I don't think many Gen Z give a poo poo about the TV. The best shot at anti establishment will come from new media, as it was with alternative comedy and the new TV channels, or alternative music and the pirate radio ships that all turned out to be nonces.

And then the successful ones will probably become part of the new establishment (and maybe nonces) but it's a permanent revolution, and the end of history generation forgot about that a bit.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
https://twitter.com/chrischirp/status/1289489054900187136?s=21

This is an interesting thread on where we're at with COVID-19, and how it compares to the rest of Europe. Basically, it looks like while we're seeing a slow, steady rise in cases, we haven't seen a big spike like the ones on the continent yet because they reopened bars and pubs earlier than we did. We're headed the same way, though, especially if we keep removing restrictions.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Guavanaut posted:

Fortunately I don't think many Gen Z give a poo poo about the TV. The best shot at anti establishment will come from new media, as it was with alternative comedy and the new TV channels, or alternative music and the pirate radio ships that all turned out to be nonces.

And then the successful ones will probably become part of the new establishment (and maybe nonces) but it's a permanent revolution, and the end of history generation forgot about that a bit.

I suspect that the media revolution is online, too - but I'm dubious about how well it will work given how strong the influence of The Algorithm is.

Like, a lot of my radicalisation is down to breadtube, but the combined viewership of literally everything on breadtube is probably less than 10 million, worldwide.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Darth Walrus posted:

https://twitter.com/chrischirp/status/1289489054900187136?s=21

This is an interesting thread on where we're at with COVID-19, and how it compares to the rest of Europe. Basically, it looks like while we're seeing a slow, steady rise in cases, we haven't seen a big spike like the ones on the continent yet because they reopened bars and pubs earlier than we did. We're headed the same way, though, especially if we keep removing restrictions.

i made this bad graph for no real reason with the scottish national records data for the last couple weeks

we've been hearing in scotland for a while now that there's no deaths. meanwhile the NRS has been posting weekly updates of covid deaths in scotland.

the difference being that the official count is only people who tested positive before death, whereas the NRS count any death certificate that mentions covid.
being extremely generous and assuming that almost all of these deaths weren't from covid, if any of them were that means that for the past 2 weeks 100% of the covid deaths were of people who either weren't tested or had tested negative.
imo that means the test and trace here must be completely failing. they're not getting tests to the right people in time or the tests are coming back wrong.

to be fair to nicola, i remember originally she was being quite cautious with the 0 deaths figures but the papers have not been. its now quite funny to see the "X days of no deaths in scotland!" headlines because that figure is actually telling you how many days it takes for a journalist to google what they're reporting.

mind you i did see a vid the SNP tweeted of her talking about how relieved she is to report 0 deaths every day after how horrible the first peak was but in light of this knowledge it came across as "for my own sanity my people are telling me there are no deaths"

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

And y'know, where are the viral left videos about the coronavirus response?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

What did duffield post?

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,
election time is but a window.

I'll be back

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Can we put this in the OP or something? That format is the generic one that Twitter has imposed for at least 5 years now, and it's indicative of nothing more than a new user who's not particularly au fait with Twitter (or internet culture generally). Any self-respecting bot-farmer would be disgusted to find out people believe they'd use such an easily-rumbled format - if anything that format is *less* likely to be a bot for that exact reason.
I'm curious about the bolded bit - have you got any links to articles / papers / other research on this? My expectation would be the low-effort bot farms (whether actual bots or real people acting as) just take whatever defaults, and the more professional ones would try and make sure the ongoing 'name balance' is about what you'd expect for either the real portion of the user base or the user base as a whole - an equilibrating process to an extent. Then you'd see the number of number-bots rise as more people signed up with new accounts for real, etc.

Be interesting to know how it actually breaks down.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

josh04 posted:

And y'know, where are the viral left videos about the coronavirus response?

It's been mentioned a lot in all the lefttube stuff recently, but honestly, most of them just take it so much as read that the response has been utterly dreadful, that it gets mentioned occasionally, but not really deconstructed.

I honestly think it would be a difficult thing to deconstruct right now, because it's so current, so painful, and there's Just So loving Much.

Like, you could spent an hour just on the first two weeks of the UK response and how dreadful it was, and it's been FOUR MONTHS. FIVE? loving FIVE MONTHS.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

What did duffield post?
"You can just say women instead of 'people with a cervix'" which is pretty medically inaccurate as well as transphobic, and she got told so hundreds of times in the reply.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

Guavanaut posted:

"You can just say women instead of 'people with a cervix'" which is pretty medically inaccurate as well as transphobic, and she got told so hundreds of times in the reply.

More specifically, she said some variation of "only women have a cervix", and when shown a screenshot of an NHS website exhorting trans men to come for a cervical screening (if they have one), said "oh well they know they need that, my point is I can't refer to myself as a woman without people piling on" :jerkbag:

And yes, that Firstname Bunchofnumbers tweet is an evergreen response. FNBoN with no av is a good indicator of not caring about the account, whether because troll, non-internet savvy, or re-reg number 3 after getting banned (I was going to write re-reg number 79 or something, but lol getting banned from Twitter is far harder than here)

Bobstar fucked around with this message at 14:08 on Aug 1, 2020

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

Guavanaut posted:

This voluntary closing-off of her own account will be used as more evidence of the left cancelling people they disagree with.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Darth Walrus posted:

Yeah, I'd been hoping that cases would continue to flatline at worst but instead we've seen a steady rise in the UK and big sudden jumps in some other European countries. It seems as though the virus comes roaring back as soon as things are relaxed past a certain point which is a pain, 'cos I was planning to start going to the gym and the pub again if cases were held down. Its looking now like we're stuck where we are until there's a vaccine distributed.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Guavanaut posted:

Charming.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Marmaduke! posted:

This voluntary closing-off of her own account will be used as more evidence of the left cancelling people they disagree with.

After she Kramered into the mentions of multiple people discussing her without tagging her.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

Isomermaid posted:

Further down her replies she's talking with one of her constituents asking her to clarify if she believes trans women are women and her response is to say I'm not gonna tell you over Twitter, so I think we pretty much know the answer from that

I love how people in the mid stages of twitter radicalisation always try a trick like this and then say it's incredibly unreasonable for us to think of them as remotely transphobic. As if they are the first person ever to try this incredibly clever strategy, and people even vaguely interested in trans issues haven't been seeing this same story play out a million times before

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

CGI Stardust posted:

I'm curious about the bolded bit - have you got any links to articles / papers / other research on this? My expectation would be the low-effort bot farms (whether actual bots or real people acting as) just take whatever defaults, and the more professional ones would try and make sure the ongoing 'name balance' is about what you'd expect for either the real portion of the user base or the user base as a whole - an equilibrating process to an extent. Then you'd see the number of number-bots rise as more people signed up with new accounts for real, etc.

Be interesting to know how it actually breaks down.

There's basically no decently-done academic work on it because without Twitter's cooperation (and all sorts of fun with personal data) it's basically impossible to say with even 95% confidence whether a given account is a bot (or otherwise misrepresenting itself - those St. Petersburg Troll Farms which definitely exist and are definitely the reason why Mike Gapes is no longer an MP would not, of course, be a "bot" even if the desired result of their activity ends up the same). It's also pointless because for the purposes for which you'd want to investigate it (signal-boosting of a given story or viewpoint), the difference between a bot, a paid follower, an over-enthusiastic "digital soldier", a shitposting teen and a gullible boomer is negligible and what you should be interested in is the origin points of those stories and viewpoints - good work *has* been done using network analysis around stuff like QAnon, climate change denialism and the general Trump grifterspace, but while the methodology is solid and clever the thing it actually tells you - that it all starts with a very small core of people with specific interest in spreading disinformation then takes on a life of its own - is something anyone with an even vaguely critical mind could tell you based just on assumptions.

The various alleged bot-spotting sites that have sprung up all use extremely naive methodology (follower:following count, retweet:original content ratio, age of the account, and, yes, the presence of numbers in the username) that is basically designed to catch anyone using Twitter like Facebook. Hilariously most fubpees get flagged as bots by such sites, which is why they very quickly went out of vogue on British Twitter. There have been attempts at better metrics specifically to address advertising bots - stuff like the same or similar text showing up in posts from unrelated accounts at similar times - but that's getting up to spy-agency levels of number crunching required.

The underlying point is that Twitter does (surprisingly) put in quite a lot of work to shut down bots because they decided fairly early that letting people game the system like that would hurt their bottom line. The thinking was that advertisers would see, say, ten million engagements which would only translate into a tiny amount of leads on bot-friendly sites like MySpace and later Instagram, while on Twitter they might only see a million engagements but ten times as many leads. Never forget that social media is *not* a discussion forum or a community, it's an advertising platform. You only have to look at the squawking (mostly from the right, who - because of the facebook effect I mentioned - are the most likely to get flagged, but it happens across the spectrum) when people are forced to verify their accounts to see this, and I'm reliably informed that mass signups are getting harder and harder too now. Which takes me back to my original point - the people who do manage to get bots onto Twitter with enough numbers to do anything (and it's still like 99% attempts to sell lovely investments and shonky health and beauty products) know well enough to not use something that would be such a blatant bot-sign that even a piss diamond could pick it up, and they're already putting in enough work on making bios, locations, posting patterns etc unique that the idea they'd just shrug and go "gently caress it" at the actual point of naming the account is hilarious.

I take your point that a *very* clever bot-wrangler might chuck a couple of no-av namenumbers into the mix - but nobody takes those accounts seriously, so what would be the point?

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Even more depressing than the idea of bot farms is thidea that someone somewhere has worked out it's cheaper and easier to pay people slave wages to do it so that it passes automated turing tests.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

You know some people hypothesised that the future would be commanding armies of robots to fight each other for resources, turns out you instead command armies of robots to win fights on twitter.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
MechGlinner: Special Cervix

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Metal gear shitpost.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Camrath posted:

If people do have a problem with my fudge-posting, please say and I’ll dial it back.

The UKMT community has been super super loving kind to me and I have no desire to annoy anyone.

I like the experiment results / learning new things you didn't know.

But then I've always enjoyed cooking chemistry.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Camrath posted:

(New orders opening up on Monday btw! Watch this space!)
Please do keep reminding us, particularly me, as I keep forgetting to order when it's open.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Fudge posts are fine and good. It doesn't feel like advertising, just a member of the community making a nice thing that quite a few of us enjoy.

The stuff about the cooking process is also interesting, and no different from any other kind of hobby posting in my mind.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Guavanaut posted:

Of course, that also applies in the opposite direction.

Speaking of comedians, Jim Davidson has a YT channel and posts on it regularly.
It's hilariously bad strawman gammon talk.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=leh8h0Ht6L4
I admire his restraint, it takes him a full 2 minutes to mention WW2.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Poland's having an extended normal one about gender violence and ludicrous claims that the EU budget is the gay agenda.

Starting to think that if gay groups ran a huge suicide prevention campaign it'd have the joint result of better outcomes for gay teens and these pricks shooting themselves out of spite just because gay people said not to. Can't hurt to try.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

There was a video of Davidson on YouTube at a signing where he was angrily wailing about how he "can't keep apologising" for his old standup routines."

Yes you loving can, that's the point. If he genuinely understood why it was bad and why he shouldn't have done it, apologising (and apologising correctly) would be the absolute most natural thing in the world.

Instead the nearest you can wrench out of these cunts is a promise not to do it any more, even though they still want to, and probably will next time they're drunk.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://twitter.com/brokenbottleboy/status/1289555563366486017?s=20

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde

OwlFancier posted:

You know some people hypothesised that the future would be commanding armies of robots to fight each other for resources

:hmmyes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Tarnop posted:

Fudge posts are fine and good. It doesn't feel like advertising, just a member of the community making a nice thing that quite a few of us enjoy.

This is why brands do banter on Twitter now.