Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

Kin posted:

I've had that logo freeze thing too. Generally it happened after I transferred files across to it via anydesk, and then moved files from the internal storage to external.

It would then freeze on shutdown, and need a hard restart.

Then when it booted, the WiFi was disabled, but another restart after that would fix it.

I'm wondering if there's some funky stuff with the WiFi that can prevent it from booting up properly seeing as it always logs into your account as the first thing it does.

Yeah that could be it. The first thing it showed me was the Steam log in.

I was messing about with files as well. Was trying to mod Football Manager 2023 but that involved a lot of quick switching between SteamOS and Desktop Mode, transferring back and forth between the internal and SD storage, and being left for hours at a time downloading or transferring data - all things that I guess could stress the machine? FM23 is technically an unsupported game though and kept giving me save file errors anyway, so I've since just uninstalled it anyway and won't be bothering again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Mescal posted:

speaking of which, if proton experimental isn't working for a non-playable game, you can try Protontricks. Idk if anybody's mentioned tht in here yet. For horizon's gate here, i'm installing d3dcompiler_47.dll which is something that is in windows but it's not in steamos or proton. once I click OK, the game will probably launch just fine.

The crucial question, of course, is how the hell I'd figure out what's missing for another game where you can't just google the answer.

History Comes Inside! posted:

You use steamdb and check the depots section for the game which lists all the redistributables needed to run it, and then choose them accordingly from the list of tricks.

If the game isn’t on steamdb then :shrug:

Woah thanks, great tip.

CRAYON
Feb 13, 2006

In the year 3000..

eddiewalker posted:

Is everyone’s dpad kind of creaky and squeaky feeling? It’s really distracting to me for some reason.

yeah my dpad is also creaky and squeaky

with mine it seems to be slowly uncentering itself and if I recenter it the creaking will stop for a bit

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

lmao

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

I have a vague interest in setting up a dual-screen Wii U emulation setup with my TV, where the Deck's screen is the Wii U tablet thingy, but, you apparently have to go into desktop mode to change the monitor setup every time you want to turn it on or off, and, gently caress that. plug-n-play or nothing IMO

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I just want a thousand useless accessories for increasingly pointless things

The Handy Deck

Sterf
Dec 31, 2004

I have that thing, it rules.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

You’re looking for The Deckmate

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Directly mounting your Steam Deck to the wall is a pretty galaxy-brain solution I gotta say

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

I have found out that saves on the Linux version of Rise of the Tomb Raider do not work with the Windows version. This is annoying. I must now settle for playing the rest of the game in 90 minute chunks.

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

does the deck only get 90 minutes battery on windows? here i am frustrated when i see <3h hour battery on linux lol

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

No this is regular SteamOS, just RotTR is like 90% GPU usage at all times so it eats battery.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

baram. posted:

does the deck only get 90 minutes battery on windows? here i am frustrated when i see <3h hour battery on linux lol

It can easily get 8 hours, depends on what you're doing.

AAA PS4 game? 1-3 hours

AA Gamecube/PS2 game? 4-6 hours easily

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Yeah it's very game dependant. Also settings dependant, 40hz alone in games that benefit from it can be worth a full extra hour.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

I wanna make the argument that the best way to play mmos on deck is to plug it into a dock with ethernet and a bluetooth mouse + keyboard setup.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

I wanna make the counter argument that the best way to play mmos on deck is to spend 10+ hours customizing the controls to make complicated trackpad menus and chorded inputs so you can hit all the buttons.

Or just play FF14 with native gamepad controls.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

I'm playing guild wars 2 which has yet to get any sort of controller support. I'll get around to ff14 one of these days.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Lord Lambeth posted:

I'm playing guild wars 2 which has yet to get any sort of controller support. I'll get around to ff14 one of these days.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7B-VG7dH1OY

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

updated to the latest Preview Build and now Rage 1 works fine, only issues are reflective surfaces seem to be using the wrong cubemap, they all look like they're using a test pattern. It's a minor annoyance.

canyonero
Aug 3, 2006

Lord Lambeth posted:

I wanna make the argument that the best way to play mmos on deck is to plug it into a dock with ethernet and a bluetooth mouse + keyboard setup.

I would have agreed with this until I played 100+ hours of FF14 on my PS5. Other than chatting, controller is the better way to play.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I play on the Deck similar to this. It works pretty well, but navigating menus with the cursor kind of sucks. I really wish it just had native controller support-- the action cam is alllllllmost there.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Maaaaan, the default controls/gyro settings for Doom 2016 are perfect.

So glad I got my SD card, so I can justify having a near 70gb game installed. As good as it is, I had played it before, so I didn't bother installing it again before now.

Rip and tear, friends.

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

I got a couple 8bitdo Lite 2s and didn't realize they just supported switch/android and boy are they annoying to get to work right. Android mode is just totally busted, I guess it's dinput? The triggers straight up don't work and the right joystick appears to just map one direction to a button. I found some controller config in desktop mode where you can bind the buttons as you like, but it never seems to save to game mode, and only about a quarter of the time in desktop mode. Also seems like there is only one connection available, as they both came up as the same name (even when I renamed them) in that config, but I could just be misinterpreting how that is displayed.

Switch mode is mostly ok, they're just occasionally finnicky about staying connected or recognizing joysticks in the steam menu. Now if only I could figure out how to get cemu to recognize the second controller so I could do co-op mario.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

canyonero posted:

I would have agreed with this until I played 100+ hours of FF14 on my PS5. Other than chatting, controller is the better way to play.

The FF14 mode-shift/chord controller scheme is head and shoulders above anything else.

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

njsykora posted:

I have found out that saves on the Linux version of Rise of the Tomb Raider do not work with the Windows version. This is annoying. I must now settle for playing the rest of the game in 90 minute chunks.

Inscryption did this and the solution to fix it is to set compatibility to Proton Experimental to make it run the windows version and then it should sync up and work just fine.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Subjunctive posted:

The FF14 mode-shift/chord controller scheme is head and shoulders above anything else.

And the D-pad functionality across every menu and selecting dudes out in the gameworld. Having up/down arrow select party members and having left/right select enemies (and LB+up/down select enemies in the threat gauge/menu) is genius.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Cowman posted:

Inscryption did this and the solution to fix it is to set compatibility to Proton Experimental to make it run the windows version and then it should sync up and work just fine.

This doesn't do anything to make the Windows version load the existing Linux saves.

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

jokes posted:

And the D-pad functionality across every menu and selecting dudes out in the gameworld. Having up/down arrow select party members and having left/right select enemies (and LB+up/down select enemies in the threat gauge/menu) is genius.

The way I do it in WoW is to have the dpad just be more action buttons (modified by triggers) and use the back buttons for targeting.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

pseudorandom name posted:

This doesn't do anything to make the Windows version load the existing Linux saves.

Yeah this doesn’t fix the fundamental issue of the 2 versions being incompatible. If I was just starting it’d be fine but at this point I’m half way through the game and I’m not giving up that progress.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Thirsty Dog posted:

The way I do it in WoW is to have the dpad just be more action buttons (modified by triggers) and use the back buttons for targeting.

How do you like the new controller support in WoW? It felt extremely limited to me, but then again it's WoW.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

It's a little annoying that you don't get a prompt to decide where to install games if you have a sd card enabled; it just automatically does it to the default location selected.

canyonero
Aug 3, 2006

RBA Starblade posted:

It's a little annoying that you don't get a prompt to decide where to install games if you have a sd card enabled; it just automatically does it to the default location selected.

I think this is something that's been added to the beta branch (prompting for install location).

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

jokes posted:

How do you like the new controller support in WoW? It felt extremely limited to me, but then again it's WoW.

It was okay, especially as they've added a new "Interact" button and some context sensitive targeting. ConsolePort (the mod) has been updated to support the steam deck though, and once I tried that I never looked back. That mod plus the Deck's ability to do cool menus with the touchpads and being able to fallback to mouse (touchpad) control if needed makes it a more fun experience than when I played FFXIV on controller back in the day.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

So you run consoleport still? I would've hoped the native controller support was good enough.

jokes fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Nov 17, 2022

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

This does work pretty well. I'm glad we have something that both of these options can coexist though!

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

RBA Starblade posted:

:raise: I got an SD card today and it let me choose where to install things. I had just updated the deck before using it.

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Maaaaan, the default controls/gyro settings for Doom 2016 are perfect.

So glad I got my SD card, so I can justify having a near 70gb game installed. As good as it is, I had played it before, so I didn't bother installing it again before now.

Rip and tear, friends.

Doom 2016 is an incredible game wherever you play it, but on Deck it’s.. :discourse:

I rolled straight from 2016 to Eternal, and unless I’m missing something, Eternal doesn’t have the gyro in by default. Felt pretty jarring.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

How easy is it to transfer Heroic Launcher game installations from one storage to another? Can I just drag & drop the game directories and then point the launcher at the new location and have everything work? I installed some games from the launcher on internal storage and now have decided I'd prefer them on the SD card instead.

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

jokes posted:

So you run consoleport still? I would've hoped the native controller support was good enough.

I never really bothered with any of this before this patch, I haven't had my Steam Deck that long.

I think you absolutely could get it working well without consoleport - I tried it and it was acceptable - but consoleport is just much better at handling open windows and basically everything outside of action bars; it's also very good for FFXIV style action bars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I always disable gyro for aiming, just never necessary

Doctor Zero posted:

:raise: I got an SD card today and it let me choose where to install things. I had just updated the deck before using it.

Weird I get no prompt, it just goes to default storage for my steam library